Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Stick, twist or go all in ?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 246 Guests

Stick, twist or go all in ?

This thread currently has 3,282 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
moosey_club
January 7, 2018, 7:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,202
Gold Stars: 224
I dont imagine for one moment that Slade will be relieved of duties so given the pre season message was "playoff promotion ambition" then it will be interesting  to see just to what to extent the board back him in this transfer window.

Stick - release a couple of players...sign a couple of players ....keeping the wage bill relatively the same.........indicates very little faith in Slade and could be on his way if things dont seriously improve quickly

Twist - release a couple....sign 2/3 extra players over what we release..........indicates doubts about his long term suitability but back him so they can minimise criticisism should he fail

go all in -  release a few, sign a few to replace cover and a marquee signing or two to get the stated ambitions back on track ......indicates full faith in RS and give him the budget he needs to support the stated ambitions

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
ginnywings
January 7, 2018, 7:19pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
I've just posted on another thread that i don't think we will be seeing a new manager and i'm going to sit back and see what happens in the window. Time for the club to act and get us out of this slump before it becomes terminal. How that will manifest itself, i have no idea, but i want  to see a couple of good signings, sooner rather than later.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 23
MuddyWaters
January 7, 2018, 7:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from ginnywings
I've just posted on another thread that i don't think we will be seeing a new manager and i'm going to sit back and see what happens in the window. Time for the club to act and get us out of this slump before it becomes terminal. How that will manifest itself, i have no idea, but i want  to see a couple of good signings, sooner rather than later.

I suspect the same - particularly as new signings may be cheaper than sacking a manager.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 23
headingly_mariner
January 7, 2018, 7:33pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,319
Gold Stars: 113
I also don't think he will be sacked at the minute. I don't think we need many signings, we just need to add some key quality additions.  
In previous seasons when we've struggled we have signed numbers in desperation and not got the required quality.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 23
chaos33
January 7, 2018, 7:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,862
Gold Stars: 353
I'm guessing, but I bet we can't actually afford to sack Slade. We're not allowed to know or discuss his contract but what would it cost to pay it up and dismiss him and Wilko? 200k? 300k? More?
Where on earth would we get that from?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 23
January 7, 2018, 7:40pm
Guest User
It really concerns me that he is allowed to sign anyone else. He should be relieved of his duties immediately and any proposed targets of his should be put on hold until his replacement is brought in. It is clear from his previous (Dembele aside) that he is clueless.

I am also fairly confident that we do have a relatively competitive squad, given the right motivation and coaching.

I seriously don’t think he’s going anywhere!!! GTFC, please prove me wrong!!!
Reply: 5 - 23
lew chaterleys lover
January 7, 2018, 8:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,653
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from moosey_club
I dont imagine for one moment that Slade will be relieved of duties so given the pre season message was "playoff promotion ambition" then it will be interesting  to see just to what to extent the board back him in this transfer window.

Stick - release a couple of players...sign a couple of players ....keeping the wage bill relatively the same.........indicates very little faith in Slade and could be on his way if things dont seriously improve quickly

Twist - release a couple....sign 2/3 extra players over what we release..........indicates doubts about his long term suitability but back him so they can minimise criticisism should he fail

go all in -  release a few, sign a few to replace cover and a marquee signing or two to get the stated ambitions back on track ......indicates full faith in RS and give him the budget he needs to support the stated ambitions

Well if he isn't sacked and I guess we will know after the board meeting tomorrow, I would go all in, otherwise what is the point? The board either want us to make a challenge for the play offs or they don't. If they still feel Slade is the right man, they will have to back him or the season will fizzle out with a knock on in season ticket sales for next season.

If it still doesn't work, we will have to get a new manager in for next season. Yes all this will be costly, but that is the price you pay for not doing it  right in the first place.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 23
headingly_mariner
January 7, 2018, 8:13pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,319
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from chaos33
I'm guessing, but I bet we can't actually afford to sack Slade. We're not allowed to know or discuss his contract but what would it cost to pay it up and dismiss him and Wilko? 200k? 300k? More?
Where on earth would we get that from?

Spot on. If rumours of a long contract are true it could be a really expensive mistake.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 23
lew chaterleys lover
January 7, 2018, 8:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,653
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Spot on. If rumours of a long contract are true it could be a really expensive mistake.

I am sure there will be a clause in the contract that we don't have to pay the full amount in event of dismissal.Or if there isn't there should be!
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 23
moosey_club
January 7, 2018, 8:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,202
Gold Stars: 224

Well if he isn't sacked and I guess we will know after the board meeting tomorrow, I would go all in, otherwise what is the point? The board either want us to make a challenge for the play offs or they don't. If they still feel Slade is the right man, they will have to back him or the season will fizzle out with a knock on in season ticket sales for next season.

If it still doesn't work, we will have to get a new manager in for next season. Yes all this will be costly, but that is the price you pay for not doing it  right in the first place.

thats kind of how i see it SHOULD run ....the sacking of Bignot and replacing him with RS with the announced intention of a play off push this season....then reiterating that at the start of this season only came from the board/JF....so they should either fully back and bankroll or...sack....
trouble is i just dont think they will have the b@lls or finances to do either so expect a middle of the road action instead.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 23
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Stick, twist or go all in ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.