Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Badly run - on and off the pitch?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 154 Guests

Badly run - on and off the pitch?

This thread currently has 6,297 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
moosey_club
January 7, 2018, 7:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I think you're mainly correct Ginny but would love to see the boardroom occupied by some vibrant characters rather than Stadler & Waldorf's boring cousins. They've only invested small amounts yet seem to be enjoying all the trappings of directorship while the fans pick up the tab.

what are they exactly ?

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 54
moosey_club
January 7, 2018, 7:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Surely a fan owned town would see a good number of season tickets being bought and some crowdfunding done at the start of the season. We would have less room to change managers and players as often, which might be a blessing.
At the minute the board don't put anything in above and beyond the money that comes in.

so we are just left with buying another 20-30% of the shares to gain overall control, paying off JF's loans , assuming he wont just write them off, and then finding a business model and organisational structure  to run the club professionally which also accommodates the many fans views/ opinions.

2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 54
headingly_mariner
January 7, 2018, 7:48pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from moosey_club

so we are just left with buying another 20-30% of the shares to gain overall control, paying off JF's loans , assuming he wont just write them off, and then finding a business model and organisational structure  to run the club professionally which also accommodates the many fans views/ opinions.

Absolutely. I don't think the fans will take over until something catastrophic happens. I think fan ownership would rely on Fenty walking away and writing his loans off. I don't think for one minute the fans should buy him out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 54
Gaffer58
January 7, 2018, 8:01pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,034
Gold Stars: 31
So for £30k each year, may go up in line with season ticket price rise in future years, the trust get a place on the board and allowed to run a bar or bars. Do the trust get to keep any profit made?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 54
HertsGTFC
January 7, 2018, 8:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,636
Gold Stars: 217
What I don't get is this..........

I work for a privately owned company, not a PLC every so often I attend a board meeting where we have 5 directors and a chairman. I'm involved in a number of business's within the group who have separate boards and some of them have 6 directors and a chairman. We operate a one man one vote system constitution in line with corporate governance rules where often the chair can have a casting vote. No director has more than 50% .

So re the board of GTFC.........

- If we don't have a chairman are we actually operating within the bounders of corporate law?

- If we are a PLC which we are detailed as at companies house should we not have non exec directors?

- In real terms are we even a PLC as I don't think I can call my broker and buy shares.

This all seems like a boys club to me.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 54
moosey_club
January 7, 2018, 8:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Gaffer58
So for £30k each year, may go up in line with season ticket price rise in future years, the trust get a place on the board and allowed to run a bar or bars. Do the trust get to keep any profit made?

After the initial 30k i believe the trust can do as it chooses with its money.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 54
paulgtfc
January 7, 2018, 10:21pm
Never lost at the old Wembley!
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +202
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from HertsGTFC
What I don't get is this..........

I work for a privately owned company, not a PLC every so often I attend a board meeting where we have 5 directors and a chairman. I'm involved in a number of business's within the group who have separate boards and some of them have 6 directors and a chairman. We operate a one man one vote system constitution in line with corporate governance rules where often the chair can have a casting vote. No director has more than 50% .

So re the board of GTFC.........

- If we don't have a chairman are we actually operating within the bounders of corporate law?

- If we are a PLC which we are detailed as at companies house should we not have non exec directors?

- In real terms are we even a PLC as I don't think I can call my broker and buy shares.

This all seems like a boys club to me.

I'm not an expert in company law but have some knowledge through my job.  My thoughts:

A chairman is presumably appointed at each meeting as we don't have a nominated one.  Certainly a private company need not appoint a chairman; maybe there are similar rules for PLCs that do not trade their shares on recognised exchanges,
I'm not aware that a plc has to have non-exec directors.  Maybe the FTSE listed companies must have these.
A PLC does not have to trade its shares on the Stock Exchange, AIM / other exchanges - there are further requirements if a company wishes to trade its shares on these exchanges.
The Trust shareholding and the shares held by non-directors prevent our club being an old boys club.  And any shareholder has a right to speak at the AGM.  (I'm playing devil's advocate here - aside from the Trust rep on the board, it is effectively an old boys club)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 54
davmariner
January 8, 2018, 12:33am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,860
Gold Stars: 75
To be fair, re. the £200k I think it was explained at the fan’s forum that JF lent the club an extra £200k to cover the associated costs of getting to playoffs and the final. I’m fairly sure that the £200k he took out was just a repayment of that extra loan.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 54
ginnywings
January 8, 2018, 12:51am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from davmariner
To be fair, re. the £200k I think it was explained at the fan’s forum that JF lent the club an extra £200k to cover the associated costs of getting to playoffs and the final. I’m fairly sure that the £200k he took out was just a repayment of that extra loan.

That was my understanding too but it makes better reading to say he took it and bought an Aston Martin.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 54
HertsGTFC
January 8, 2018, 7:24am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,636
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from paulgtfc

I'm not an expert in company law but have some knowledge through my job.  My thoughts:

A chairman is presumably appointed at each meeting as we don't have a nominated one.  Certainly a private company need not appoint a chairman; maybe there are similar rules for PLCs that do not trade their shares on recognised exchanges,
I'm not aware that a plc has to have non-exec directors.  Maybe the FTSE listed companies must have these.
A PLC does not have to trade its shares on the Stock Exchange, AIM / other exchanges - there are further requirements if a company wishes to trade its shares on these exchanges.
The Trust shareholding and the shares held by non-directors prevent our club being an old boys club.  And any shareholder has a right to speak at the AGM.  (I'm playing devil's advocate here - aside from the Trust rep on the board, it is effectively an old boys club)

Ta!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 54
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Badly run - on and off the pitch?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.