Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Badly run - on and off the pitch?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 299 Guests

Badly run - on and off the pitch?

This thread currently has 6,296 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
January 7, 2018, 5:04pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,634
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from RoboCod

Consider me patronised. Why exactly have Accrington currently got a better handle on players salaries, agents fees, players expectations, Bosman etc in these 'changed times' than us?
Why have Burton Albion moved up the leagues so well recently, how are they dealing so well with players salaries, agents fees, players expectations, Bosman etc so much better than us?
How have Scunny managed to get successive Chairmen to both throw money at the club AND deal with players salaries, agents fees, players expectations, Bosman etc and move upwards while ours throws millions at our club and takes us out of the League?

Get a manager and board with vision in and the players will sign.I don't see the changing times as being the crippling factors that keep us in the basement division, a properly run board will deal with that, I see the managerial appointments of Rodger, Law, Newell and Woods as the slow but sure downfall of this club to where we are today.
I look at the board and the management team and I see a bunch of fraudulent chancers, don't give them any more excuses like agent fees and Bosman for their monumental member-ups.

I would not give Slade another penny either.

Re the clubs,  Accrington is just very well run I think, it appears to the the case when you see their accounts. I recall Burton has a benefactor who is willing to part with money. Yeah get the bit about Scunny but they have been at a higher league level than us for a good while which has generated them more 3rd part income and also anyone investing might even get some money back as their stadium development though now at Glanford Park is actually close to happening.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 54
HertsGTFC
January 7, 2018, 5:11pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from headingly_mariner

We can look at specific instances were we have lost out on a player, but there are plenty of players who are in the area or would move. Of course some players aren't a success, but we signed enough quality to get out of that league and many of the players are now playing higher up. There are negatives to our location, but it's a very minor issue that's trotted out to excuse our failure.

Who are these players?

Interestingly at times in the Hurst days many players used to get picked up on the way to away games from places like Ferry Bridge etc..and commute in from places like Leeds etc..

I think people might be more inclined to sign if when they got to the Town they drove over the flyover and down Cleethorpe Rd with a bag over their heads and the might get a better impression, add to that the crime rate, drug problem, poor infrastructure etc.. etc.. etc.. and maybe it's not that bad a place to up sticks and move to if you are working on a max two year fixed term contract,    

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 54
lew chaterleys lover
January 7, 2018, 5:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,546
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from HertsGTFC

At our level I reckon the socioeconomic and geography factors impact on our ability to recruit.

E.G. There are more players based around London and the South as the population is denser the better ones don’t have to travel as far to earn good money the ones with less ability have to look further afield.

I would imagine Luton where able to recruit Berry and Collins from Cambridge & Crawley without either having to move house. Add to that their ability to pay better wages from good gates and there you go.

Also with the younger lads are you going to move away from your home family & friends to move to Grimsby? Some will some don’t.

That must work with northern players in reverse, surely? It is not far from Leeds, or the east Midlands to here, is it? I don't know how many of our players live locally, but they are all on short term contracts so I don't blame them for not moving here if we allow it.

If the wages are right (or maybe more than right if we want to get our first choice targets) and the club has ambition then players will come.

The entrance into Grimsby on the A180 is a disgrace, so meet them at Forest Pines, get them to sign and then take them into Town via the A46.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 54
headingly_mariner
January 7, 2018, 5:25pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Who are these players?

Interestingly at times in the Hurst days many players used to get picked up on the way to away games from places like Ferry Bridge etc..and commute in from places like Leeds etc..

I think people might be more inclined to sign if when they got to the Town they drove over the flyover and down Cleethorpe Rd with a bag over their heads and the might get a better impression, add to that the crime rate, drug problem, poor infrastructure etc.. etc.. etc.. and maybe it's not that bad a place to up sticks and move to if you are working on a max two year fixed term contract,    

You only have to look just across the humber bridge and see how many players are playing in the lower leagues that have come through Hull's youth set up and never made it there. Scunny are also capable of bringing their own players through, so why can't we? These are players that are in the area or from the area.

Omar Bogle moved to the area, we sold him for a million pound. Siriki Dembele has moved to the area. Players will come, we just have to be better at finding them and keeping them.

We are a fourth tier club so we have to improve players and deal in players from lower leagues. Look at the feature in the times about Toto Nsiala today.

Hurst had a real knack of making good signings and slowly improving the squad with up and coming talent.

Is the reason we are excrement becuase nobody wants to play in Grimsby?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 54
HertsGTFC
January 7, 2018, 5:50pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from headingly_mariner

You only have to look just across the humber bridge and see how many players are playing in the lower leagues that have come through Hull's youth set up and never made it there. Scunny are also capable of bringing their own players through, so why can't we? These are players that are in the area or from the area.

Omar Bogle moved to the area, we sold him for a million pound. Siriki Dembele has moved to the area. Players will come, we just have to be better at finding them and keeping them.

We are a fourth tier club so we have to improve players and deal in players from lower leagues. Look at the feature in the times about Toto Nsiala today.

Hurst had a real knack of making good signings and slowly improving the squad with up and coming talent.

Is the reason we are excrement becuase nobody wants to play in Grimsby?

Not completely a factor for sure but I do agree the manager makes the difference. In my 34 year career I have been lucky I've had 5 proper jobs and all of them because I wanted to work with my then boss or within a particular team rather than a badge or a brand.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 54
moosey_club
January 7, 2018, 6:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Having a warchest as you suggest is entirely possible without a JF character on board. Other clubs are run without a wealthy benefactor.

A better regime in charge wouldn't have alienated the fanbase so your budget based on 3500 could easily have been one based on 4-5000. I think with more sense of ownership there'd be more patience with a run of bad results. All genuinely in it together would make a massive difference.

You need actual money or you need gaurantees to secure finance to get started....income comes in over the course of a season, week to week...while the board may not be investing huge sums into the club , they would if we had a disastrous season and lost money....they (JF at least) approve the budget and agree to cover shortfalls.....if we failed to hit the projected income what would happen ?  Whip round with the supporters to find 100k...200k...500k.How often do you think the faithful would put up with that ?
The club assetts arent that valuable are they so securing loans against the remainder of any value could either prove difficult or leave us wide open to admin if monies loaned against assets arent repaid.
Supporter ran club pie in the sky currently and thats before you have to negotiate the current major shareholder out of the club which would of course cost money also.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 54
lukeo
January 7, 2018, 6:52pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,304
Gold Stars: 133
I don't want success in the fact in demanding promotions. I don't want to be the world's best team. I just want a club, team, squad to be proud of. I want a team built of men who try to play football the right way. If we could run the club just like Exeter and others then why shouldn't we? We might not be made of money, we may not get many if any promotions. But at least we'll be run well, we will be loved and welcomed and the club will have the fans at heart. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 54
ginnywings
January 7, 2018, 7:14pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
I agree with moosey. I think a fan owned club is a pipe dream at this time. Maybe there is a middle ground involving both sides?

I don't know what the answer is but i think it's time to stop raking over the coals and either support the team or not. I have had as good a moan as the next man but i can't see what can be done other than just trust that we get in some better players and have an upturn in results. I don't think there is the option of a new manager on the horizon any time soon.

I am going to see who comes in this month and what effect it has on the team, while keeping my powder dry. I've said my piece and i'm still angry after yesterday's capitulation, but i think it's time to step back and see what action/reaction we get from those in charge and on the pitch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 54
headingly_mariner
January 7, 2018, 7:21pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from moosey_club

You need actual money or you need gaurantees to secure finance to get started....income comes in over the course of a season, week to week...while the board may not be investing huge sums into the club , they would if we had a disastrous season and lost money....they (JF at least) approve the budget and agree to cover shortfalls.....if we failed to hit the projected income what would happen ?  Whip round with the supporters to find 100k...200k...500k.How often do you think the faithful would put up with that ?
The club assetts arent that valuable are they so securing loans against the remainder of any value could either prove difficult or leave us wide open to admin if monies loaned against assets arent repaid.
Supporter ran club pie in the sky currently and thats before you have to negotiate the current major shareholder out of the club which would of course cost money also.

Surely a fan owned town would see a good number of season tickets being bought and some crowdfunding done at the start of the season. We would have less room to change managers and players as often, which might be a blessing.
At the minute the board don't put anything in above and beyond the money that comes in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 54
MuddyWaters
January 7, 2018, 7:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from ginnywings
I agree with moosey. I think a fan owned club is a pipe dream at this time. Maybe there is a middle ground involving both sides?

I don't know what the answer is but i think it's time to stop raking over the coals and either support the team or not. I have had as good a moan as the next man but i can't see what can be done other than just trust that we get in some better players and have an upturn in results. I don't think there is the option of a new manager on the horizon any time soon.

I am going to see who comes in this month and what effect it has on the team, while keeping my powder dry. I've said my piece and i'm still angry after yesterday's capitulation, but i think it's time to step back and see what action/reaction we get from those in charge and on the pitch.

I think you're mainly correct Ginny but would love to see the boardroom occupied by some vibrant characters rather than Stadler & Waldorf's boring cousins. They've only invested small amounts yet seem to be enjoying all the trappings of directorship while the fans pick up the tab.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 54
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Badly run - on and off the pitch?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.