This thread currently has 7,834 views. Print
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
January 6, 2018, 9:12pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 188

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Marinerz93
January 6, 2018, 9:19pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Comes across as a beaten man no wonder the players have no confidence in him or his style of play.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 46
GrimRob
January 6, 2018, 9:23pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
Job done for him, big fat pay off and he can gracefully retire unless someone else is enough of a mug to believe he still has what it takes. His one demand up front on taking this job seems to have been the length of his contract, he was happy to work with whoever was here. Now we know why  

Next time can we have a hungry, upcoming manager? Bignot was the right idea, just the wrong person.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 2 - 46
Badger57
January 6, 2018, 9:26pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,902
Gold Stars: 30
If you think I'm going to listen to one more syllable of one word of one sentence from THAT man, then you're VERY much mistaken. Jog on Judas.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 46
denni266
January 6, 2018, 9:29pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.82
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +634
Gold Stars: 128
Quoted from GrimRob
Job done for him, big fat pay off and he can gracefully retire unless someone else is enough of a mug to believe he still has what it takes. His one demand up front on taking this job seems to have been the length of his contract, he was happy to work with whoever was here. Now we know why  

Next time can we have a hungry, upcoming manager? Bignot was the right idea, just the wrong person.

Yep nice long contract... do enough to just bob along knowing if it goes wrong he gets a nice big big pay off and just sit back on some hot beach somewhere
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 46
HertsGTFC
January 6, 2018, 9:31pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
It's over for him by the sounds of that, Monday's board meeting could be interesting.

Why can't he just be honest and say Jamey is not coming back and we're negotiating his exit.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 46
davmariner
January 6, 2018, 9:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,860
Gold Stars: 75
It would be good to have someone in the mould of Kevin Nolan. Young, fresh and who will use their contacts to bring in some decent players that we otherwise wouldn’t have got.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 46
Croxton
January 6, 2018, 9:33pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +2,933
Gold Stars: 31
Sounded terrible as I drove back to South Yorkshire but watching just now was cringing! Got to say, I am fed up with all manager and player interviews. Predictable and pointless. Ok for website fodder but awful radio.
Noticeable difference when Burnsy was answering Matt Dean's questions about City's requirements for the Jan window. Blunt and direct. JT a little too nice? Time to call it as it is RH.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 46
Badger57
January 6, 2018, 9:36pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93
Comes across as a beaten man no wonder the players have no confidence in him or his style of play.

Did you say, "style?" Shurrely some mistake?  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 46
Marinerz93
January 6, 2018, 9:38pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Badger57

Did you say, "style?" Shurrely some mistake?  

No mistake, his style is hoof ball and don't call me Shurrely  

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 46
Gaffer58
January 6, 2018, 9:39pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,034
Seems at a loss without his computer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 46
ginnywings
January 6, 2018, 9:44pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
A behaviourist would have a field day watching that. Along with the interminably boring interview that Wilko gave, i have absolutely no faith in either of them.

It has been said that JF and Slade are mates. Well i learned from bitter experience not to employ your mates. I had to get rid when he turned out to be not fit for the job and it wasn't pretty. People warned me but i didn't listen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 46
moosey_club
January 6, 2018, 9:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,141
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Yeah, this is the route I would take again, someone who's doing great in the National League, hate him as much as you want for that horror tackle all those years ago, but Dave Challinor has had numerous promotions with AFC Fylde and they are near the top of the National League and he will know the best players out of the non-leagues.

Arent Fylde backed by a mega bucks chairman who is chucking major funds at them......and no way Jose would i accept Challinor here.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 46
GrimRob
January 6, 2018, 9:45pm

Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Seems kinda obvious now it wasn't a 6-month rolling contract like his predecessors, because Fenty would not give any details this time around compared to when Scott/Hurst / Hurst / Bignot was given their contracts.

I'd go down the Conference table and look at anyone under 40 who is doing well for the size of the club they are at. There can't be that many, then start from there!

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 13 - 46
Badger57
January 6, 2018, 9:45pm
Cocktail Drinker
I only wish someone had told him it was "PowerPoint" and not , "PowerPunt" Oh, and it was out of date by 2000 anyway!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 46
Croxton
January 6, 2018, 10:02pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +2,933
Like I said above, all interviews are pointless Wilko being especially dire. Points are all that matters.
STH rang in to RH as he drove 100 miles back to Derbyshire. Told it as it is, expressing his sadness at how the club treats loyal fans. Time for some proper journalism. No tweets. Just tell us what you think and what you know.
Fed up of feeling that some close to the club know what is behind this spiral of death but scared to tell us.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 46
Marinerz93
January 6, 2018, 10:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
A behaviourist would have a field day watching that. Along with the interminably boring interview that Wilko gave, i have absolutely no faith in either of them.

It has been said that JF and Slade are mates. Well i learned from bitter experience not to employ your mates. I had to get rid when he turned out to be not fit for the job and it wasn't pretty. People warned me but i didn't listen.

Yes but you weren't know that about your mate, he hadn't worked for you before so you took him on due to good intentions, not your fault it didn't work out, it's his!

In Fenty's case he is to blame regarding Sladeball.

Private Message
Reply: 16 - 46
mariner91
January 6, 2018, 10:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,245
Gold Stars: 253
Quoted from GrimRob

I'd go down the Conference table and look at anyone under 40 who is doing well for the size of the club they are at. There can't be that many, then start from there!

Luke Garrard has got part-time Boreham Wood, who average 711 at home, to just outside the play offs in the NL. They're equal on points with Tranmere and have a plus 10 goal difference. Doing significantly better in the NL than Bignot was at Solihull, at a smaller club and in less time as well.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 46
KingstonMariner
January 6, 2018, 10:52pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Uncomfortable viewing. Could only stand half of it. Clearly a man who knows he's out of his depth.

Apart from his apparent failings, I wonder how much of this is down to the players?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 46
KingstonMariner
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Seems kinda obvious now it wasn't a 6-month rolling contract like his predecessors, because Fenty would not give any details this time around compared to when Scott/Hurst / Hurst / Bignot was given their contracts.

Yep. I think Pete is owed a few apologies.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 46
KingstonMariner
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Yeah, this is the route I would take again, someone who's doing great in the National League, hate him as much as you want for that horror tackle all those years ago, but Dave Challinor has had numerous promotions with AFC Fylde and they are near the top of the National League and he will know the best players out of the non-leagues.

There is no way he would come here.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 46
Maringer
January 7, 2018, 12:03am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
I've actually thought that Slade has sounded extremely lacking in confidence quite often during this spell with us. During his first tenure, he seemed very confident regardless of the situation but not at all this time. Before we won those three wins in a row, I thought he seemed nervous, then confident for a while after those, but now he sounds very uncertain once again.

I wonder how much of this is him realising that his statistical approach isn't working with this bunch of players? Yet another game where we've been outpaced, outmuscled and outplayed by a very average team indeed.

I can't remember the last time that we consistently beat a team in the air or ran past them. In fact, I can't remember the last time we had parity in these areas with the opposition.

It takes some effort to sign a squad almost completely lacking in threat because they are too slow, old and weak.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 46
KingstonMariner
January 7, 2018, 12:53am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
I've actually thought that Slade has sounded extremely lacking in confidence quite often during this spell with us. During his first tenure, he seemed very confident regardless of the situation but not at all this time. Before we won those three wins in a row, I thought he seemed nervous, then confident for a while after those, but now he sounds very uncertain once again.

I wonder how much of this is him realising that his statistical approach isn't working with this bunch of players? Yet another game where we've been outpaced, outmuscled and outplayed by a very average team indeed.

I can't remember the last time that we consistently beat a team in the air or ran past them. In fact, I can't remember the last time we had parity in these areas with the opposition.

It takes some effort to sign a squad almost completely lacking in threat because they are too slow, old and weak.

Which suggests he's made a right balls up of his statistical approach. I thought it was all-out heat maps and kilometres run.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 46
louth_in_the_south
January 7, 2018, 1:01am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +5,551
Gold Stars: 94
Quoted from Maringer

The difference is that every player in his first spell was far superior to those now . They’d pi.ss all over this team . His signings in the summer were absolutely pathetic. The writing was on the wall . Good job we’ve racked up a few points in the first half of the season because it means we only need 15 more to reach safety .
I say only without real confidence btw .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 46
RichMariner
January 7, 2018, 1:39am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
On days like this I find it genuinely remarkable that we’ve actually managed to win 9 games of football this season.

I wouldn’t give Slade a budget for January signings. He sugned Cardwell. He signed Hooper. He signed Matt. He can’t get the best from Jones and Vernon’s confidence is shot.

Even a half decent manager could work with those five to get us scoring, if not winning.

The fact that he can’t speaks volumes, so what’s the point in letting Slade spunk more cash on misfiring strikers?

Other than Summerfield, every other player that he inherited has got worse during his time in charge. I don’t trust Slade to take us forward, I don’t like his tactics, his approach, his style of football... there really isn’t much left to say.

Other than he should never have been reappointed, but what can you do when your majority shareholder makes a rushed decision.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 24 - 46
bawarmy
January 7, 2018, 1:54am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,821
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from GrimRob

And that’s how we got Bignot
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 46
arryarryarry
January 7, 2018, 2:09am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,945
Quoted from bawarmy

I was talking to an ex Town player who was at that time involved with a club in the NL shortly after Bignot was appointed and when I mentioned his appointment he shook his head and without saying too much clearly wasn't impressed and suggested his success at Solihull wasn't all it was cracked up to be.

This is where due diligence should come in, the board should try to speak to as many contacts in the game as possible when deciding on an appointment and listen to what people have to say.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 46
dicko995
January 7, 2018, 2:10am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: -249
Gold Stars: 21
Slade must also be the scruffiest manager to represent GTFC, unshaven,same attire,reminds me of Onslow from Mrs,Bucket , doesn't give a great example of us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 46
denni266
January 7, 2018, 5:59am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.82
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +634
Gold Stars: 128
He looked and sounded a beaten man,, and does not know how to sort it,, so bye bye  mr Slade
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 46
dapperz fun pub
January 7, 2018, 6:20am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,719
Gold Stars: 81
I didn’t even listen just go Slade just go and take Wilkinson with you
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 46
January 7, 2018, 9:42am
Guest User
As many have said, he looked a beaten man. He seemed down, at least that shows he cares. I like Russ, think he’s as honest as he can be in the role, I don’t hold his departure a decade against against him. We don’t know what went on. I found the comment about switching to a diamond in the second half curious, that may have been his intention, but the players certainly didn’t implement it. We got some joy when we got the ball out wide and ran at them. Definitely not a diamond.

Anyway, to sum it up, the end is nigh, I think he knows it as well. The board must act. If only the board would follow him.
Reply: 30 - 46
mariner91
January 7, 2018, 9:44am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

I was talking to an ex Town player who was at that time involved with a club in the NL shortly after Bignot was appointed and when I mentioned his appointment he shook his head and without saying too much clearly wasn't impressed and suggested his success at Solihull wasn't all it was cracked up to be.

This is where due diligence should come in, the board should try to speak to as many contacts in the game as possible when deciding on an appointment and listen to what people have to say.

I've pointed this out on here before only to get told I was wrong. He did nothing in his first four seasons (finishing 19th, 9th, 8th then 12th) so the theory that he was building something here for this current season was a stretch. Some claimed that he'd done the same thing at Solihull, i.e gone in and tried different formations and players out of position before completing a huge turnaround to get them promoted which would only hold true if he'd been messing around for four seasons.  

The season he got them up he basically signed an entire squad from both Kidderminster and Nuneaton who were both local and had financial issues meaning they had to release all their best players. It wasn't some long term masterplan that had finally come to glorious fruition. It was right time and right place. Which is not how I'd want any manager I might potentially employ to have got their success.

Getting an up and coming manager is still a good idea potentially but it requires due diligence. It's plainly obvious that the board didn't bother looking into it very deeply or speak to many people before appointing Bignot and given their track record of appointments I'd say it's highly likely that they won't this time (should the bald one go).

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 46
Vance Warner
January 7, 2018, 10:00am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +18 / -5
Approval: +2,772
Gold Stars: 99
We'll never know how things would have turned out with Bignot in charge but if you told me last April after beating (soon to be promoted) Blackpool away from home in front of over 1000 town fans that we'd be in this mess I wouldn't have believed you.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 46
pen penfras
January 7, 2018, 10:04am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -137
Gold Stars: 71
I think you're attaching emotions that you feel onto his body language. He was clearly disheartened, which is understandable after being beaten comfortably by two poor teams in succession.

I got the feeling as the interview progressed that he genuinely thinks he's going to turn it around. And I think he feels that we've played well in the second half of the last 2 games because we've had a lot of the ball in harmless areas where a team has sat back and defended what they've got.

I feel a bit for him, because he inherited a very large squad full of players that weren't good enough to meet expectations and had to deal with the fall out of the previous manager who turned out to be a clown and had already spent this season's budget. My expectation was that this season we'd have to tread water whilst the players already contracted had time left on their contract.

The worst part is, this has happened at a terrible time. We basically have three options as far as I see it:
- Sack Slade and bring in somebody new, but this will take a few weeks, then the transfer window is closed and he has to make do with what we have.
- Invest in more players. It's not going to be enough players to change the style of football and I doubt it would bring disenchanted fans back to the stadium. Without offloading some, the large squad is likely to bring even more disruption because players don't like not playing.
- Stick with what we've got and re-evaluate at the end of the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 46
Swansea_Mariner
January 7, 2018, 10:07am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,387
Gold Stars: 62
He signed not inherited a very large squad. He's dished out 19 contracts since he has been here, in less than one season!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 46
mariner91
January 7, 2018, 10:14am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

[b]I feel a bit for him, because he inherited a very large squad full of players that weren't good enough to meet expectations and had to deal with the fall out of the previous manager who turned out to be a clown and had already spent this season's budget[/b[. My expectation was that this season we'd have to tread water whilst the players already contracted had time left on their contract.

I agree to a certain extent that it wasn't an easy job inheriting a large squad consisting of players wanted by two different managers. But that being the case, why on earth did he then sign 13 players, the vast majority of which are not fit for purpose. Quite a few of them are on two year contracts as well. Talk about inheriting a mess and making it ten times worse.

He'd have been better off getting three or four quality players in where we needed them and ensuring we had a strong spine.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 46
NorthseaMariner
January 7, 2018, 10:31am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,518
Gold Stars: 11
He'd have been better off getting three or four quality players in where we needed them and ensuring we had a strong spine.

Unfortunately they wouldn’t come.

Changing the manager at this stage is no good, I think, sadly we have to sit it out to the end of the season, or until we’re safe (hopefully) and then see what we do.

I know most aren’t going to agree with me, but that’s my view.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 46
ginnywings
January 7, 2018, 10:35am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Quoted from NorthseaMariner

Unfortunately they wouldn’t come.

Changing the manager at this stage is no good, I think, sadly we have to sit it out to the end of the season, or until we’re safe (hopefully) and then see what we do.

I know most aren’t going to agree with me, but that’s my view.

Yep, the sensible choice, but for me it goes beyond competency. Even if we were moderately successful, the football is appalling.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 46
pen penfras
January 7, 2018, 10:37am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -137
Gold Stars: 71
I wasn't defending the choices that have been made since he came. They are poor. The football is dire, he signed too many players, he signed too little quality. I just don't think this season was ever likely to be a roaring success after the instability that had come before.

I think a season to stabilise before making a big push for promotion was required. I'm not sure how many fans would have bought into this approach given that finishing mid table made so many unhappy last season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 46
Swansea_Mariner
January 7, 2018, 10:38am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,387
Gold Stars: 62
It also speaks volumes that several of the players he has signed are not preferred to those already on the books.

Dixon is the only left back we have and he can't now displace Davies playing out of position.

Hooper and Cardwell can't displace Jones playing out of position.

Kelly can't even make the squad, not even sporadically.

Rees-Hall loaned out as soon as signed even though he has a 1 year deal.

Killip given a go and quickly droped for a loan keeper because he's not ready for the first team.

Evan Matt and Rose have spent long periods out of the team with Vernon and Berrett preferred.

How can he have so little trust in the players he has signed is beyond me. Shambles is the word that springs to mind.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 46
Ipswin
January 7, 2018, 10:46am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 46
sam gy
January 7, 2018, 4:04pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,386
Gold Stars: 53
I wonder if RS underestimated the job here.

In his first spell, we were a big team at this level, having been in the second tier just two seasons previous. Because of that, we obviously could attract a better quality of player and I imagine the budget then was a lot healthier.

The GTFC of today is a totally different beast. We’re not yet an established league 2 team, and we’re fresh from 6 years in non league. We’ve got squads leftover from Bignot and Hurst, and we’ve got no money.

I don’t think he’ll go, so I hope he can get rid of a few and bring in some better quality.

Over to you Sladey.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 46
arryarryarry
January 7, 2018, 4:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from sam gy
I wonder if RS underestimated the job here.

In his first spell, we were a big team at this level, having been in the second tier just two seasons previous. Because of that, we obviously could attract a better quality of player and I imagine the budget then was a lot healthier.

The GTFC of today is a totally different beast. We’re not yet an established league 2 team, and we’re fresh from 6 years in non league. We’ve got squads leftover from Bignot and Hurst, and we’ve got no money.

I don’t think he’ll go, so I hope he can get rid of a few and bring in some better quality.

Over to you Sladey.

Do you trust him to bring in better quality and how do we get rid of those he has signed on two year contracts that even he doesn't think are good enough?
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 46
GrimRob
January 7, 2018, 5:14pm

Quoted from bawarmy

and Buckley, Slade mk 1 and Hurst

We'd probably have been better off sticking with Bignot, to be honest, than the route we went down. He was a good signing on paper he just was hell bent on change for change's sake.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 43 - 46
sam gy
January 7, 2018, 5:32pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,386
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from arryarryarry

Do you trust him to bring in better quality and how do we get rid of those he has signed on two year contracts that even he doesn't think are good enough?

Absolutely no idea, that’s why I said ‘over to you Sladey.’

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 46
Cayman_mariner
January 7, 2018, 7:58pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +483
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
It also speaks volumes that several of the players he has signed are not preferred to those already on the books.

Dixon is the only left back we have and he can't now displace Davies playing out of position.

Hooper and Cardwell can't displace Jones playing out of position.

Kelly can't even make the squad, not even sporadically.

Rees-Hall loaned out as soon as signed even though he has a 1 year deal.

Killip given a go and quickly droped for a loan keeper because he's not ready for the first team.

Evan Matt and Rose have spent long periods out of the team with Vernon and Berrett preferred.

How can he have so little trust in the players he has signed is beyond me. Shambles is the word that springs to mind.

I was wondering the same Swansea.  He may as well have just stuck with what was already here.

A lot of those players worked with WIlko before so maybe he put a lot of faith in his assistant and those recommendations are found wanting?

We could easily get rid of 10 players who never make it close to the match day squad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 46
arryarryarry
January 7, 2018, 8:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from sam gy

Absolutely no idea, that’s why I said ‘over to you Sladey.’

At this moment in time considering the crap we are having to endure, the only thing that should be "over to you Sladey" is a P45.
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 46
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › RS Post Match Interview

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.