3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
lukeo
January 6, 2018, 8:58pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,304
Gold Stars: 133
If the trust are going to act surely the best way would be totally the opposite. Organise a meeting with the board, tell them they're not happy and find out what it would take got US to get control of OUR club. If it's unrealistic or JF blows them out then walk.
Logged Offline
Private Message
January 6, 2018, 9:00pm
Guest User
Fair point
Reply: 1 - 21
headingly_mariner
January 6, 2018, 9:04pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
Posted this on another thread.

Save us Mariners Trust. You're our only hope.

In all seriousness, I think involvement in the Trust would swell massively if they had to take the club on. They've done some great work in recent years and are getting a bit of unfair stick. They are not part of the problem at the club but maybe the solution when the dust settles.

I think they could absolutely run the club, even though the current line up have no desire to yet. With a clear charter of aims that is well communicated with fans, we could see something that the fans could really get behind. The Trust have done things with limited resources in the last few years that have put more money into the club and contributed to improved attendances we saw in the last couple of seasons. The current board have destroyed that good work.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 21
January 6, 2018, 9:07pm
Guest User
Sorry, didn’t see your post until after I started this thread.
Reply: 3 - 21
Marinerz93
January 6, 2018, 9:07pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Fenty can start making that exit plan by giving back the £200k he grabbed from the trust.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 21
LH
January 6, 2018, 10:23pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
I don’t get some of the comments I’ve seen tonight saying that no-one on the Trust has any idea how to run a club.

1) it’s not stopped the current custodians giving it a go.

2) it’s a fairly modern idea to have people who make careers out of going to a string of clubs to run them and must be very rare in the lower leagues.

There is definitely a role for our Trust to play in running the club although I maintain that they cannot do it alone and would need a consortium or benefactor to enable the club to be competitive in this division and above.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 21
davmariner
January 6, 2018, 10:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,860
Gold Stars: 75
Does anyone know much about the remaining Trust, GTFC board member? He barely said a word at the fan’s forum. I don’t understand why, as the supposed supporters’ representative on the board, he didn’t resign after the B team debacle, the SLO ill treatment and the club’s lack of interest/support after bragate. Clearly, the above negates any argument that the Trust has an influence over the board.

Is he maybe enjoying the gravy train a bit too much?

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 21
KingstonMariner
January 6, 2018, 10:42pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from LH
I don’t get some of the comments I’ve seen tonight saying that no-one on the Trust has any idea how to run a club.

1) it’s not stopped the current custodians giving it a go.

2) it’s a fairly modern idea to have people who make careers out of going to a string of clubs to run them and must be very rare in the lower leagues.

There is definitely a role for our Trust to play in running the club although I maintain that they cannot do it alone and would need a consortium or benefactor to enable the club to be competitive in this division and above.

Disagree with your last point.  We have the potential fanbase and resources to be easily competitive at this level. It'd obviously be much harder in the 3rd division, but 'benefactors' usually come with strings (did I hear anyone say 'benign loans'?) so i'd be happier to remain a middle table League 1 side if we were self-reliant.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 21
LH
January 6, 2018, 11:03pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Disagree with your last point.  We have the potential fanbase and resources to be easily competitive at this level. It'd obviously be much harder in the 3rd division, but 'benefactors' usually come with strings (did I hear anyone say 'benign loans'?) so i'd be happier to remain a middle table League 1 side if we were self-reliant.

Whilst I agree partly with the ability to be self reliant we haven’t been competitive in this division since 2006 when we had only been in the now Championship two seasons previously so had some funds.

The potential support is a far too variable to be relied upon. We’re not competitive now with £30k input from the board, TV money, gate receipts, sponsorship and a higher than the division average 3000 STHs. How many of our potential support are exiles? I’d guess at roughly half. How many of those are going to put in money equivalent to a season ticket to add to the budget?

I don’t like the idea of single benefactors but a consortium is definitely an option. Of course the Trust could be one of those involved as part of a consortium.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 21
headingly_mariner
January 6, 2018, 11:06pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from LH

Whilst I agree partly with the ability to be self reliant we haven’t been competitive in this division since 2006 when we had only been in the now Championship two seasons previously so had some funds.

The potential support is a far too variable to be relied upon. We’re not competitive now with £30k input from the board, TV money, gate receipts, sponsorship and a higher than the division average 3000 STHs. How many of our potential support are exiles? I’d guess at roughly half. How many of those are going to put in money equivalent to a season ticket to add to the budget?

I don’t like the idea of single benefactors but a consortium is definitely an option. Of course the Trust could be one of those involved as part of a consortium.

I genuinely think it's something people would buy into. You only have to look at operation promotion. I genuinely think more people would attend if they felt part of something positive. I don't think it's unreasonable for the club to average over 5k which would make us more than competitive in this league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 21
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Grow a pair

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.