6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Hagrid
January 6, 2018, 5:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,391
Gold Stars: 529
That was one of the worst performances i can ever remember seeing. Gutless passionless embarrasing woeful plus many more. It must end now. Go to the dressing room Femty and sack slade, sack wilko, and then walk yourself. I dont care if im not suposed to say this, im a fan, you're a stranglehold of this club. And we. The fans, have had enough. You have taken away every single jot of joy i got afterr promotion. We are im real real trouble courtesy of your mate slade. all GO now as we cannot and will not go on like this
Logged Online
Private Message
chicaneuk
January 6, 2018, 5:05pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,467
Gold Stars: 5
Ouch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 57
GYinScuntland
January 6, 2018, 5:06pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
I expected this thread to start about 3.30pm.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 57
OneLove
January 6, 2018, 5:06pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +731
Gold Stars: 10
we need to force him out, he won't ever go he's to stubborn.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 57
Marinerz93
January 6, 2018, 5:11pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
How do you get rid of Limpets.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 57
monkeyboy
January 6, 2018, 5:11pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
Was any of the crowd shouting for him out today? well the few that made the trip that is. i went fishing, very very cold and boring with 2 bites all day but much more exciting than slades crap.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 57
promotion plaice
January 6, 2018, 5:13pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,997
Gold Stars: 193

We were clueless against a poor side [img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/no.gif[/img]

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 57
Jaws
January 6, 2018, 5:16pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
Time to cut the cancer out of this club - one good season in 20 years is pathetic. And calling promotion to the 4th tier "a good season" shows the state of affairs.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 57
sackthemascot
January 6, 2018, 5:20pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: -19
I don't think Fenty will ever leave.

Absolutely nothing to do with former legend of the Fishy, Sacktheboard  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 57
cmackenzie4
January 6, 2018, 5:22pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,335
Gold Stars: 33
He may have to if fans start voting with their feet.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 57
wigworld
January 6, 2018, 5:25pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from cmackenzie4

They have. How many of today's attendance were ST holders (who get counted whether they're there or not) and away fans?

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 57
Mendonca1995
January 6, 2018, 5:28pm
Super Clive mendonca how much would he cost now
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +903
Gold Stars: 15
Left at 70 mins first time I’ve ever walked out of a game in 27 years supporting town !!! I simply cannot take much more with the football that is on show its shocking heartless gutless no desire no effort I could go on,slade has to go let’s be honest here it’s been rubbish all season the whole club from top to bottom is a f*c*ing shambles I can understand why people aren’t going to watch it now I just don’t know we’re we are going to go from here something has to happen and fast,the fans don’t want slade here the players aren’t playing for him he has to go !!!!

ALL TOWN AREN'T WE ⚫️⚪️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 57
Grimbiggs
January 6, 2018, 5:29pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / -4
Approval: +685
Abject 1st half performance, sloppy at the back and conceded two poor goals again. Pedestrian and clueless in midfield, Rose kept turning back, got caught on many occasions and was lucky to get the free- kicks he did. Powderpuff attack created nothing. 2nd half we huffed and puffed with the full backs and Dembele producing a few decent crosses, but we don't have a poacher to steal a goal. In contrast whilst Morecambe were very average, their passes had purpose, finding players and creating openings. Credit to Ellison who proved a handful and for his age, his passion and energy showed a few of our own players up. Very worrying times at the minute, this is relegation form, we've a toothless attack, no creativity, no sign of a return of Osborne, and the side are leaking goals. Things have to change fast before we are sucked into a relegation battle....UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 57
Marinerz93
January 6, 2018, 5:31pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from cmackenzie4

Some left at half time Chris.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 57
immariner
January 6, 2018, 5:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,406
Gold Stars: 60
The definition of idiocy: trying the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

10 blanks in our last 14 games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 57
MuddyWaters
January 6, 2018, 5:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Surprised there's no mention yet of the totally inept Martyn Woolford, I'm sure he was playing statues today and his lack of effort in the warm-up was very evident (not that he was alone!)
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 57
Freemoash88
January 6, 2018, 5:33pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +893
Gold Stars: 2
Absolutely shocking this reminds me of when Woods was in charge. How can the bloke stay in charge? It’s relegation form and Lucky for us chesterfield and co are worse.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 57
Teesknees
January 6, 2018, 5:33pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,596
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from cmackenzie4

Elaine Dale?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 57
ginnywings
January 6, 2018, 5:34pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
I thought the Accrington game was a low, but at least they are above us in the league. I've just sat and watched us lose easily to Morecambe and listen to their 50 fans OLE' us on our own patch. Morecambe FFS. One of the few teams below us and with less goals scored. That is now three defeats in a row without scoring to three footballing giants in Accy, Crewe and Morecambe. I'm lost for words.

If you are reading this John, and you probably will be, you will not get one more penny from me until Slade and the even more boring Wilko are out the door. I have a season ticket, so not much i can do this season, but that's me done while he is here. You won't get one more penny. Another massive mistake bringing back that dinosaur.

The last time we played them was our first game back in the league in front of 6500 fans and our first win.

Progress?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 57
moosey_club
January 6, 2018, 5:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,211
Gold Stars: 226
Well......

start with a positive......at least we tried a change in formation and approach second half with Woolford stepping inside and dictating a bit of the play to feet......

however...little consolation after a p1ss poor first half were a lack of quality in midfield and outwide and complete lack of movement and service to the front two made for shocking viewing,  
awful defending of a hopeful ball into our box for the first, dont hold the new lad at fault for that one as the cross was around the penalty spot, defenders ball for me...second goal he got caught under the ball and flapped it.

For all our second half improvement the new lad pulled off a couple of good saves and Clarke i think headed one off our line.......as opposed to one save in the entire game for their keeper from Dembele and one cleared off their line.

Four strikers on view today and none of them had an attempt at goal that i can remember and none of them troubled their respective opposition players.

The players Slade has inherited and the attacking players he has recruited by and large just arent good enough....less than 3100 home support.....thats less than the total number of ST holders isnt it ?

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 57
RoboCod
January 6, 2018, 5:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Surprised there's no mention yet of the totally inept Martyn Woolford, I'm sure he was playing statues today and his lack of effort in the warm-up was very evident (not that he was alone!)

Match thread, page 1, 3rd post in  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 57
horsforthmariner
January 6, 2018, 5:43pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,588
Gold Stars: 9
Worst Town performance since Braintree away five years ago. We could do a Hartlepool at this rate. I can’t abide hoofball but if it’s not effective what’s the point.

Anyway over and out not paying any cash to watch this tosh anymore - I’ll reconsider in March
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 57
LH
January 6, 2018, 5:45pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,456
Gold Stars: 172
Kean had a nightmare debut - the second goal (which I’ve only seen on a screen because I went down at 37mins to the bar because the football was that awful) was in particular dreadful. Woolford couldn’t beat an egg. Forward two ineffective - again.

Summerfield should be captain as the two actual ‘joint’ captains are stood around doing nothing while Summerfield is urging his teammates on. He should also be gifted whatever money he needs to build the extension for his wine cellar as he continues to get the MOTM champagne.

The attendance and early leavers should be setting alarm bells off in the boardroom but it won’t. ‘The club’ is writing it’s own death warrant again and have learned precisely intercourse all since 2010.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 57
chaos33
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,871
Gold Stars: 353
Quoted from ginnywings
I thought the Accrington game was a low, but at least they are above us in the league. I've just sat and watched us lose easily to Morecambe and listen to their 50 fans OLE' us on our own patch. Morecambe FFS. One of the few teams below us and with less goals scored. That is now three defeats in a row without scoring to three footballing giants in Accy, Crewe and Morecambe. I'm lost for words.

If you are reading this John, and you probably will be, you will not get one more penny from me until Slade and the even more boring Wilko are out the door. I have a season ticket, so not much i can do this season, but that's me done while he is here. You won't get one more penny. Another massive mistake bringing back that dinosaur.

The last time we played them was our first game back in the league in front of 6500 fans and our first win.

Progress?

Probably the best post in terms of summing up how many, many people feel.
The most stark image - more empty black and white seats in the Pontoon than people.

The writing is on the wall. It can't go on like this.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 57
KingstonMariner
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
That's a shockingly telling stat Ginny. The crowd has been halved since our return to the Football League. And it's all down to bad management from the top down.

After the Operation Promotion success the opportunity to move on has been wasted.

I said last Summer that the season ticket sales being down 10-20% was a failure, but some claimed it wasn't because 3000 the year before was a recent record. It was a symptom of poor management.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 57
barralad
January 6, 2018, 6:01pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,267
Gold Stars: 121
Well I'll try and be a tad more balanced than Hagrid in the impestuousness of yoof.
It started badly when really with their first attack Morecambe scored. A little dink into the box where Grandad Ellison stood totally unmarked was quite enough for a header to leave our new keeper flat footed although it was a very good header. Town just never got going first half. No movement off the ball up front, Dembele intent on trying to take on all 11 opponents and invariably losing the ball and Jones attempting extravagant flicks to no-one in particular. Even allowing for Summerfield's usual industry the midfield were pretty absent.
It was no surprise when the lead was doubled. Morecambe put Mills under the slightest of pressure panic ensued and either Clarke or Collins had to come to the rescue. The look which whichever of them it was gave the Pontoon as an endorsement of Mills part of it spoke volumes. Trouble was they didn't defend the resulting set piece. The ball was dinked into the box where no one really got to grips. Kean flapped at it in a way which made Killip's indiscretion at Crewe look worthy of the handling skills of the Harlem Globetrotters and their guy sidefooted it home from 2 yards.
Cue the longest sustained "Slade Out"" chant from seemingly across the Pontoon and possibly elsewhere. The atmosphere is now deadly. I make no comments on the right and wrongs of it simply to say that the rest of the half was punctuated by loud booing and expressions of different degrees of anger every time a Town player did something even mildly wrong. Half time brought sustained booing.
Town came out for the second half a good five minutes before Morecambe-possibly not the best preparation on a cold afternoon-with even to me a noticeable change in formation to 4-3-3.
It got better. Mills got forward and put in some reasonable balls as did Davis on the other flank but no-one gambled and the possible chances went begging. There was a header (diving) off the line which Morecambe might be grateful there is no goalline technology in League 2 for. Dembele found his dribble and caused some defensive alarm-he had a very good effort turned round the post but by and large Morecambe dealt easily with anything remotely threatening.. They always looked dangerous on the break and Kean made at least two good saves low down and I think Summerfield headed one off the line.
Ridiculously they couldn't deal with Ellison who earned himself a standing ovation from all stands when he was replaced.
Hooper came on  for Jones, Vernon for Matt and D.J. rather belatedly I thought for Rose (who was poor throughout).None of the subs made their mark. In fact it got a bit worse because such is Hooper's positioning many decent looking crosses from the right sailed harmlessly over the top and out. We never really looked like scoring in truth. Boos rang round at the departure of Jones but he is a shadow of the player who scored a great second goal at Barnet only five/six weeks ago (I'll let that sink in....).
Positives...not many. After his early boob Kean looks like he'll be a decent acquisition. There was evidence of more trust in him from our defenders than Killip was afforded. Mills had a storming second half as did Davis. The rest? Pretty non-descript really.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 57
Grimbiggs
January 6, 2018, 6:02pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / -4
Approval: +685
The stats don't lie and unfortunately we're plummetting fast, ranked 20th in Attack, 16th in Defence...only 12 goals scored at home with only Barnet and Crawley worse (11 goals).....only two wins against teams in the top half. Failed to score in 48% of games...things need to change fast.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 57
moosey_club
January 6, 2018, 6:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,211
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Grimbiggs
The stats don't lie and unfortunately we're plummetting fast, ranked 20th in Attack, 16th in Defence...only 12 goals scored at home with only Barnet and Crawley worse (11 goals).....only two wins against teams in the top half. Failed to score in 48% of games...things need to change fast.

Quick Fenty....screenshot this and you can use these stats to drum up sales on next seasons price increased seasons tickets  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 57
headingly_mariner
January 6, 2018, 6:28pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
That was like a performance from the dark days of Newell.
A die hard I was talking to left at half time, never seen him leave early before. The crowd got thinner as the game went on. We were dreadful first half and couldn't cope with a 40 year old. The new keeper had a shocking debut, but I am sure he'll get better.

It's time for the debt to be dropped and the board to resign for the good of the club. Their is no ambition to take the club forward and a real danger we could go backwards.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 57
ginnywings
January 6, 2018, 6:39pm

Recovering Alcoholic
I remember us playing Morecambe in a night match and surrendering a 2-0 lead, to lose the game 2-3. That was the game i knew the writing was on the wall and we were going down. Today felt similar.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 57
Mrs Doyle
January 6, 2018, 6:51pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from cmackenzie4

Just 3,000 fans I would say they already have wouldn't you???

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 57
Marinerz93
January 6, 2018, 6:52pm

Barley Wine Drinker
As Morecambe scored their 2nd I had a flash back to an away game at Morecambe, a game were they had 7 first team players out and I was quite looking forward to the game. I was enjoying my pre match drink when I over heard a lad saying to his dad that he was worried out the game as so many Morecambe players were out and his dad said to him, don't worry son, Grimsby are a nothing team, we went on to lose that game and those words have stuck with me ever since.

At the minute we are a nothing team filled with nobodies, managed by a nobody who was hired by a his friend also a nobody.

Private Message
Reply: 31 - 57
topuphere666
January 6, 2018, 7:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +1,843
Gold Stars: 3
To summarise - the cold weather was 10000x more fun than the football on offer today.

Jesus Christ It was morecambe. The mighty Morecambe. We made them look like a Prem team, at no stage where they troubled by anything we had to offer. They sat back in the second half and let us see some of the ball but we did absolutely nothing with it. For two reasonably tall CB’s with a combined age of over 70 they didn’t win an aerial challenge against Oliver all afternoon. KO must be wondering what the hell he has to do to get a run of games.

Today was one of the worst games I’ve seen us play! There was no game plan, fight, teamwork, willingness to work for each other. The body language is diabolical and everyone looks defeated.
We are most certainly in a relegation scrap and this transfer window could be the most important in many a year!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 57
ginnywings
January 6, 2018, 7:06pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Slade talked about a good second half against Crewe and again today. Well Russ, that's because they just kept what they had and said, "go on then, have the ball and see if you can score". Both teams knew we had nothing to worry them after the first half. I said last week he was deluded and it seems he still is.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 57
Marinerz93
January 6, 2018, 7:08pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Russ talks a good game but I wouldn't consider Morecambe doing the ole in our half in the 2nd half, a good second half for us.

Private Message
Reply: 34 - 57
topuphere666
January 6, 2018, 7:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +1,843
Gold Stars: 3
We could be playing till now and still wouldn’t score!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 57
Perkins
January 6, 2018, 7:28pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
Got home from watching that pile of crap this afternoon, next doors cat got a swift kick up the jacksie for loitering with intent in my front garden and went in. The dog was already behind the settee as he always is at 5-15 on a match day, and the wife said "lost again did we? in a bad mood are we?" no, i said just freezing cold and totally pis*ed of with it all. "We're going down" she said, "bit too early for that" i replied. "i can see you're in a bad move cos we lost" she said and then, and this is from someone who's never been to a football match in their life, she started expounding her bloody theories why were going to get relegated. "Shut up i said, you know feck all about football, wind your bloody neck in.
Result? I've had to get my own tea, and probably my own dinner tomorrow too.

Slade, Fenty, and the lot of you, you've got a bloody awful lot to answer to!!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 57
quebec38
January 6, 2018, 7:48pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,576
Gold Stars: 48
I hate to see managers get the sack and 99% of the time it’s too early. I’m all for Slade going though now and it wouldn’t be too soon. There can’t be a more stubborn manager in the league. The likes of Morecambe, Crewe and Accrington don’t have anything special that we don’t. The difference is all in the coaching. A good manager could have this side a good 5 or 6 places higher up the league. Instead, the one we have persists with the same rubbish ideas week in and week out.
I would happily accept Grimsby lying in 15th if the man in charge was at least trying to get things right. Small things like everyone back for corners. Try it. Ah ok that didn’t work. I’ll try something else next week... that sort of thing. But instead it’s just the same rubbish over and over with no end in sight.
Please Fenty, we know you’re stubborn but do the right thing now and win back at least the tiniest bit of support. Get rid of Slade.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 57
ginnywings
January 6, 2018, 7:57pm

Recovering Alcoholic
You will be pleased to know that we are only the second side to lose at home to Morecambe. Top work.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 57
Gaffer58
January 6, 2018, 8:02pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
Can I suggest a fans forum on Tuesday evening, Matt Dean to compere, Slade can bring his computer and pretend he has a plan. Fenty and Marley can slag the fans off. No, that sounds bloody stupid, that would never happen in the real world.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 57
arryarryarry
January 6, 2018, 8:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from chaos33

Probably the best post in terms of summing up how many, many people feel.
The most stark image - more empty black and white seats in the Pontoon than people.

The writing is on the wall. It can't go on like this.

So what's your answer you kept asking me?

Personally Slade has left us with a pile of excrement and I wouldn't trust him to give anyone a contract. Even this new keeper looks dodgy.

I would like to see him gone and I don't care who replaces him, DM, one of the stewards, Moira from the club shop or a ball boy, they couldn't do any worse.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 57
arryarryarry
January 6, 2018, 8:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Freemoash88
Absolutely shocking this reminds me of when Woods was in charge. How can the bloke stay in charge? It’s relegation form and Lucky for us chesterfield and co are worse.

This is exactly what we were saying as we left the ground.

No one looks like scoring, an ineffective midfield and an at times hapless defence.

Continue as we are and we could easily be sucked into a relegation scrap.
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 57
RoboCod
January 6, 2018, 9:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from Gaffer58
Can I suggest a fans forum on Tuesday evening, Matt Dean to compere, Slade can bring his computer and pretend he has a plan. Fenty and Marley can slag the fans off. No, that sounds bloody stupid, that would never happen in the real world.

Thing is, I can't get that night out of my thoughts. Honestly wonder sometimes if I dreamt the whole thing, only Town could put together a clear-the-air forum and make things 1,000 times worse.
I can't help but wonder who else would have viewed the whole thing on Youtube. The current players? Potential signing players? Investors ? All looking in and seeing an absolute freak show of amateurish, two bob businessmen involved in senseless and vitriolic point scoring aimed at the local media and the fans. ALWAYS the fans.
I don't think we've fully recovered from that shocking night, but one thing's for sure. The on the field shambles that passes itself off as a pro football team have failed badly, woefully under the hapless manager, and no way will shouting at Matt Dean about a tweet that apparently worried the manager about his employment, or accusations of fans bullying others into making the crowd stay away stick as excuses for the mess we're in.

We need a decision soon about how we approach the rest of the season, with or without Slade and if without (hopefully), then who could do the bare essentials in just keeping us ticking over until this nightmare finishes. That gives the majority shareholder a good 4 months to put together his severance plan and do what's best for the club.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 57
HertsGTFC
January 6, 2018, 10:48pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,884
Gold Stars: 227
During my 150 mile drive home I got to thinking the visitors had a plan knew their jobs and made the best or what they had and it worked. They even rubbed it in by going 2 up front in the 2nd half when they where 2 - 0 up which underlines even they did not think we could score. Nothing since I have arrived home has told me anything different.

There is nothing I can really add to what has been posted above about the game other than the manger whoever it will be next week needs to find a way for the 2 front players to spend more time in the box so the wide/ midfield players can find them, far too often Jones and Matt are not in the box when they need to be.

Thought that Summers tried his best and should have the arm band IMHO, though today was poor thought some of the abuse the players especially Rose & Matt got at the end aseptically from the Upper was unacceptable and I was embarrassed once again by the behaviors of some "supporters",  Get that people are p1ssed off but I doubt what was said from the safety of 20+ feet up in a stand would have been said face to face to this lads.

Another day to forget!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 57
lew chaterleys lover
January 6, 2018, 11:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,661
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from RoboCod

Thing is, I can't get that night out of my thoughts. Honestly wonder sometimes if I dreamt the whole thing, only Town could put together a clear-the-air forum and make things 1,000 times worse.
I can't help but wonder who else would have viewed the whole thing on Youtube. The current players? Potential signing players? Investors ? All looking in and seeing an absolute freak show of amateurish, two bob businessmen involved in senseless and vitriolic point scoring aimed at the local media and the fans. ALWAYS the fans.
I don't think we've fully recovered from that shocking night, but one thing's for sure. The on the field shambles that passes itself off as a pro football team have failed badly, woefully under the hapless manager, and no way will shouting at Matt Dean about a tweet that apparently worried the manager about his employment, or accusations of fans bullying others into making the crowd stay away stick as excuses for the mess we're in.

We need a decision soon about how we approach the rest of the season, with or without Slade and if without (hopefully), then who could do the bare essentials in just keeping us ticking over until this nightmare finishes. That gives the majority shareholder a good 4 months to put together his severance plan and do what's best for the club.

Yes I absolutely agree with those views about the forum.

That night did terrible damage to the reputation of Grimsby Town Football Club. It seemed that the panel just thought they were playing to the gallery of those in the room. It didn't seem to occur to them that all their vitriolic, underhand and amatuerish  behaviour would be on  line for everybody to look at forever if they wish.

Who would wish to work for a company that acted like that? I think it was the first time I have been truly shocked by anything to do with GTFC. Drunken rowdy fans, or rubbish players and managers come with the territory for every club, but for a board and manager to act like that in front of the media is truly astonishing and shows a complete lack of gravitas or class. I thought at the time it would be the beginning of the end for this particular regime, one way or another. And all because of a nothing story that hardly anyone was paying attention to.

It will be an interesting week next week for sure, but although the manager might be dismissed, until we get new owners with a sense of pride and purpose and a plan for the future we will just have to hope football fortune favours us.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 57
chaos33
January 6, 2018, 11:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,871
Gold Stars: 353
Quoted from arryarryarry

So what's your answer you kept asking me?

Personally Slade has left us with a pile of excrement and I wouldn't trust him to give anyone a contract. Even this new keeper looks dodgy.

I would like to see him gone and I don't care who replaces him, DM, one of the stewards, Moira from the club shop or a ball boy, they couldn't do any worse.

Sack Slade and appoint you. You know everything.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 57
Maringer
January 7, 2018, 12:18am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
To attempt to inject some positivity to the understandably depressing thread, we played some decent football in the first 25 minutes or so in the second half. Passing, movement, that sort of stuff though without enough men in the box to provide much of a threat most of the time.

We didn't concede any more goals when this was occurring (though their hacked clearances somehow managed to find their strikers precisely for some reason), but we did at least get them into a bit of a tizz at times.

Obviously, nothing much achieved in the grand scheme of things, but it at least gave me the hope that the players were doing more than capable of stringing a few passes together if they put their minds to it.

Let's hope so. My target is for 52 points this season for safety so I'm hoping we'll reach this before the last couple of games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 57
ginnywings
January 7, 2018, 12:25am

Recovering Alcoholic
But it was too late by then. We should be putting teams like Morecambe under pressure from the off at BP, not wait until we are 2 down and have no choice but to attack more. They also have something to defend and can just sit back in numbers. We hardly got near their keeper, even in our 'best' spell.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 57
arryarryarry
January 7, 2018, 1:41am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from chaos33

Sack Slade and appoint you. You know everything.

Well you don't really have a clue.
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 57
oldun
January 7, 2018, 11:01am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from Maringer
To attempt to inject some positivity to the understandably depressing thread, we played some decent football in the first 25 minutes or so in the second half. Passing, movement, that sort of stuff though without enough men in the box to provide much of a threat most of the time.

We didn't concede any more goals when this was occurring (though their hacked clearances somehow managed to find their strikers precisely for some reason), but we did at least get them into a bit of a tizz at times.

Obviously, nothing much achieved in the grand scheme of things, but it at least gave me the hope that the players were doing more than capable of stringing a few passes together if they put their minds to it.

Let's hope so. My target is for 52 points this season for safety so I'm hoping we'll reach this before the last couple of games.

Yes but as at Crewe the opposion were content to sacrifice the midfield, defend in numbers and hit us on the occasional break. So we had more space to play but still rarely hurt them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 57
MuddyWaters
January 7, 2018, 11:23am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from ginnywings
But it was too late by then. We should be putting teams like Morecambe under pressure from the off at BP, not wait until we are 2 down and have no choice but to attack more. They also have something to defend and can just sit back in numbers. We hardly got near their keeper, even in our 'best' spell.

As I said in another thread, the S&C Coach yesterday was really trying to get the players going in the warm-up, using phrases like 'Lets get at them from the start' '100% lads and stuff like that and it was clear that some were going through the motions. Interestingly, RS has stopped talking about the 'tight group' - just a thought.
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 57
rancido
January 7, 2018, 11:25am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,533
Gold Stars: 96
Well , guys , you'd better get used to this for the rest of the season. According to all the Slade Fan Club Members ( no pun intended ) he will get it right next season and he will finish the job he nearly completed last time he was here.
7 of todays starting 11 were either Slade's signings or re-signings ( depressing stat ) , so that bodes well for future acquisitions ( I don't think ! ) but don't worry , he will get it right. As a ST holder I will continue to go for the remainder of the season but if I wasn't then I wouldn't set foot in BP until Slade had gone. I have it on good authority that we had only sold 100 home tickets prior to the game so obviously a lot of other fans feel the same way.
The scary thing is that I can't see JF sacking Slade because that will be an admittance that he got it wrong in appointing Slade in the first place. This is pretty much the same as Slade consistently playing players he brought in as opposed to those that were here, such as Woolford ( - who is obviously a sheep in footballers clothing ) and JJ . It's a sad indictment of Slade's assessment of a player when he has to convert a 36 year old player to left back to replace a natural left-back ( Dixon ) who was brought in specifically for that role. We let better players ( or comparative quality ones ) go to be replaced by dross or certainly no better than was already here. Does anyone on here genuinely think that Clarke ( forget his pedigree ) is better than Pearson ?
I never wanted Slade back and would have much rather have kept Bignot and seen how his plans for the future had progressed over the summer. Regardless of how he is doing with Chester ( different club and circumstances ) he couldn't have done any worse than our present  Schoolmaster !

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 57
HertsGTFC
January 7, 2018, 11:30am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from rancido
Well , guys , you'd better get used to this for the rest of the season. According to all the Slade Fan Club Members ( no pun intended ) he will get it right next season and he will finish the job he nearly completed last time he was here.
7 of todays starting 11 were either Slade's signings or re-signings ( depressing stat ) , so that bodes well for future acquisitions ( I don't think ! ) but don't worry , he will get it right. As a ST holder I will continue to go for the remainder of the season but if I wasn't then I wouldn't set foot in BP until Slade had gone. I have it on good authority that we had only sold 100 home tickets prior to the game so obviously a lot of other fans feel the same way.
The scary thing is that I can't see JF sacking Slade because that will be an admittance that he got it wrong in appointing Slade in the first place. This is pretty much the same as Slade consistently playing players he brought in as opposed to those that were here, such as Woolford ( - who is obviously a sheep in footballers clothing ) and JJ . It's a sad indictment of Slade's assessment of a player when he has to convert a 36 year old player to left back to replace a natural left-back ( Dixon ) who was brought in specifically for that role. We let better players ( or comparative quality ones ) go to be replaced by dross or certainly no better than was already here. Does anyone on here genuinely think that Clarke ( forget his pedigree ) is better than Pearson ?
I never wanted Slade back and would have much rather have kept Bignot and seen how his plans for the future had progressed over the summer. Regardless of how he is doing with Chester ( different club and circumstances ) he couldn't have done any worse than our present  Schoolmaster !

Ahhh............ you where doing so well until you suggested we keep Bignot.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 57
rancido
January 7, 2018, 11:51am

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Ahhh............ you where doing so well until you suggested we keep Bignot.  

But you don't know how things would have turned out if he had been allowed to complete his recruitment plan in the summer? Like I said , it surely couldn't have been worse than the dross that Slade is serving up. His biggest mistake was using the end of the season as one long training exercise to fully evaluate the capabilities of his squad and trying them in unfamiliar positions outside their normal comfort zones ( eg Jones as a striker as opposed to his normal role as attacking mid-fielder ).
His brief had been to ensure league safety by attaining the magic 50 points ( which he did ) and build for a future promotion ( a 2/3 year plan ). The fans couldn't see why he still wasn't pushing for promotion ( understandably so ) but he didn't see that as a problem because his plan was to push for promotion in his second season. In some ways he was possibly too naïve or progressive for a lot of fans.

"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 57
easypeersy
January 7, 2018, 11:59am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 11
I am looking at the Confetence clubs I have not yet visited ready for next season
Maidstone
Fylde
Woking
Sutton

Was hoping to be eying up League 1 fixtures by now with local derbies against Scunthorpe, Doncaster, Lincoln and Rotherham next season.

What a load of rubbish we are being treated to this season.

Slade must go!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 57
HertsGTFC
January 7, 2018, 12:01pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from rancido

But you don't know how things would have turned out if he had been allowed to complete his recruitment plan in the summer? Like I said , it surely couldn't have been worse than the dross that Slade is serving up. His biggest mistake was using the end of the season as one long training exercise to fully evaluate the capabilities of his squad and trying them in unfamiliar positions outside their normal comfort zones ( eg Jones as a striker as opposed to his normal role as attacking mid-fielder ).
His brief had been to ensure league safety by attaining the magic 50 points ( which he did ) and build for a future promotion ( a 2/3 year plan ). The fans couldn't see why he still wasn't pushing for promotion ( understandably so ) but he didn't see that as a problem because his plan was to push for promotion in his second season. In some ways he was possibly too naïve or progressive for a lot of fans.

Yes I agree I don't know what would have happened but seeing as yesterday only one of his signings was in contention for a place in the starting line up I would suggest his recruitment plan was not that great either. He made many mistakes and appears to be doing the same at Chester.

Is biggest mistake was that he was so ignorant and self absorbed that he believed he had to dismantle and rebuild the squad again. He didn't need to do that and not only did his poor recruitment dealings result in a league 2 club with 30 pros which squandered a lot of the Omar money it destroyed a spirit that had taken years to build.

If he had come in took his time and added "technical ability" over the course of time then things might have been different. You could see all you needed to know about Bignot by his treatment of Gowling and his public comments about the squad not having ability within his first 2 weeks of arriving, such things do not go down well with your existing pros.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 57
ginnywings
January 7, 2018, 12:53pm

Recovering Alcoholic
I was a fan of Bignot and was peeved when he was sacked but he's gone now and i was probably wrong about him. He was a chancer from what i have heard since and there was nothing beneath the gloss.

And in answer to Rancido's question. Yes i do think Clarke is better than Pearson.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 57
rancido
January 8, 2018, 7:03pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Yes I agree I don't know what would have happened but seeing as yesterday only one of his signings was in contention for a place in the starting line up I would suggest his recruitment plan was not that great either. He made many mistakes and appears to be doing the same at Chester.

Is biggest mistake was that he was so ignorant and self absorbed that he believed he had to dismantle and rebuild the squad again. He didn't need to do that and not only did his poor recruitment dealings result in a league 2 club with 30 pros which squandered a lot of the Omar money it destroyed a spirit that had taken years to build.

If he had come in took his time and added "technical ability" over the course of time then things might have been different. You could see all you needed to know about Bignot by his treatment of Gowling and his public comments about the squad not having ability within his first 2 weeks of arriving, such things do not go down well with your existing pros.  

......and then along comes Slade, increases the squad size and squanders his budget with his present crop of signings. Yes, only one of Bignot's players was in contention but that was Slades choice. Slade now says we need another striker so obviously some of the ones he brought in are not good enough or not what he expected. Slades signings include a left-back who isn't fit for purpose ( and we allegedly had to increase what we offered him to sign ), Kelly who is conspicuous by his absence, Cardwell who hardly gets a look in, JJ , well enough said and Woolford.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 57
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.