MuddyWaters
January 7, 2018, 11:23am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from ginnywings
But it was too late by then. We should be putting teams like Morecambe under pressure from the off at BP, not wait until we are 2 down and have no choice but to attack more. They also have something to defend and can just sit back in numbers. We hardly got near their keeper, even in our 'best' spell.

As I said in another thread, the S&C Coach yesterday was really trying to get the players going in the warm-up, using phrases like 'Lets get at them from the start' '100% lads and stuff like that and it was clear that some were going through the motions. Interestingly, RS has stopped talking about the 'tight group' - just a thought.
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 57
rancido
January 7, 2018, 11:25am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,559
Gold Stars: 96
Well , guys , you'd better get used to this for the rest of the season. According to all the Slade Fan Club Members ( no pun intended ) he will get it right next season and he will finish the job he nearly completed last time he was here.
7 of todays starting 11 were either Slade's signings or re-signings ( depressing stat ) , so that bodes well for future acquisitions ( I don't think ! ) but don't worry , he will get it right. As a ST holder I will continue to go for the remainder of the season but if I wasn't then I wouldn't set foot in BP until Slade had gone. I have it on good authority that we had only sold 100 home tickets prior to the game so obviously a lot of other fans feel the same way.
The scary thing is that I can't see JF sacking Slade because that will be an admittance that he got it wrong in appointing Slade in the first place. This is pretty much the same as Slade consistently playing players he brought in as opposed to those that were here, such as Woolford ( - who is obviously a sheep in footballers clothing ) and JJ . It's a sad indictment of Slade's assessment of a player when he has to convert a 36 year old player to left back to replace a natural left-back ( Dixon ) who was brought in specifically for that role. We let better players ( or comparative quality ones ) go to be replaced by dross or certainly no better than was already here. Does anyone on here genuinely think that Clarke ( forget his pedigree ) is better than Pearson ?
I never wanted Slade back and would have much rather have kept Bignot and seen how his plans for the future had progressed over the summer. Regardless of how he is doing with Chester ( different club and circumstances ) he couldn't have done any worse than our present  Schoolmaster !

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 57
HertsGTFC
January 7, 2018, 11:30am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,907
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from rancido
Well , guys , you'd better get used to this for the rest of the season. According to all the Slade Fan Club Members ( no pun intended ) he will get it right next season and he will finish the job he nearly completed last time he was here.
7 of todays starting 11 were either Slade's signings or re-signings ( depressing stat ) , so that bodes well for future acquisitions ( I don't think ! ) but don't worry , he will get it right. As a ST holder I will continue to go for the remainder of the season but if I wasn't then I wouldn't set foot in BP until Slade had gone. I have it on good authority that we had only sold 100 home tickets prior to the game so obviously a lot of other fans feel the same way.
The scary thing is that I can't see JF sacking Slade because that will be an admittance that he got it wrong in appointing Slade in the first place. This is pretty much the same as Slade consistently playing players he brought in as opposed to those that were here, such as Woolford ( - who is obviously a sheep in footballers clothing ) and JJ . It's a sad indictment of Slade's assessment of a player when he has to convert a 36 year old player to left back to replace a natural left-back ( Dixon ) who was brought in specifically for that role. We let better players ( or comparative quality ones ) go to be replaced by dross or certainly no better than was already here. Does anyone on here genuinely think that Clarke ( forget his pedigree ) is better than Pearson ?
I never wanted Slade back and would have much rather have kept Bignot and seen how his plans for the future had progressed over the summer. Regardless of how he is doing with Chester ( different club and circumstances ) he couldn't have done any worse than our present  Schoolmaster !

Ahhh............ you where doing so well until you suggested we keep Bignot.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 57
rancido
January 7, 2018, 11:51am

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Ahhh............ you where doing so well until you suggested we keep Bignot.  

But you don't know how things would have turned out if he had been allowed to complete his recruitment plan in the summer? Like I said , it surely couldn't have been worse than the dross that Slade is serving up. His biggest mistake was using the end of the season as one long training exercise to fully evaluate the capabilities of his squad and trying them in unfamiliar positions outside their normal comfort zones ( eg Jones as a striker as opposed to his normal role as attacking mid-fielder ).
His brief had been to ensure league safety by attaining the magic 50 points ( which he did ) and build for a future promotion ( a 2/3 year plan ). The fans couldn't see why he still wasn't pushing for promotion ( understandably so ) but he didn't see that as a problem because his plan was to push for promotion in his second season. In some ways he was possibly too naïve or progressive for a lot of fans.

"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 57
easypeersy
January 7, 2018, 11:59am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 11
I am looking at the Confetence clubs I have not yet visited ready for next season
Maidstone
Fylde
Woking
Sutton

Was hoping to be eying up League 1 fixtures by now with local derbies against Scunthorpe, Doncaster, Lincoln and Rotherham next season.

What a load of rubbish we are being treated to this season.

Slade must go!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 57
HertsGTFC
January 7, 2018, 12:01pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,907
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from rancido

But you don't know how things would have turned out if he had been allowed to complete his recruitment plan in the summer? Like I said , it surely couldn't have been worse than the dross that Slade is serving up. His biggest mistake was using the end of the season as one long training exercise to fully evaluate the capabilities of his squad and trying them in unfamiliar positions outside their normal comfort zones ( eg Jones as a striker as opposed to his normal role as attacking mid-fielder ).
His brief had been to ensure league safety by attaining the magic 50 points ( which he did ) and build for a future promotion ( a 2/3 year plan ). The fans couldn't see why he still wasn't pushing for promotion ( understandably so ) but he didn't see that as a problem because his plan was to push for promotion in his second season. In some ways he was possibly too naïve or progressive for a lot of fans.

Yes I agree I don't know what would have happened but seeing as yesterday only one of his signings was in contention for a place in the starting line up I would suggest his recruitment plan was not that great either. He made many mistakes and appears to be doing the same at Chester.

Is biggest mistake was that he was so ignorant and self absorbed that he believed he had to dismantle and rebuild the squad again. He didn't need to do that and not only did his poor recruitment dealings result in a league 2 club with 30 pros which squandered a lot of the Omar money it destroyed a spirit that had taken years to build.

If he had come in took his time and added "technical ability" over the course of time then things might have been different. You could see all you needed to know about Bignot by his treatment of Gowling and his public comments about the squad not having ability within his first 2 weeks of arriving, such things do not go down well with your existing pros.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 57
ginnywings
January 7, 2018, 12:53pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
I was a fan of Bignot and was peeved when he was sacked but he's gone now and i was probably wrong about him. He was a chancer from what i have heard since and there was nothing beneath the gloss.

And in answer to Rancido's question. Yes i do think Clarke is better than Pearson.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 57
rancido
January 8, 2018, 7:03pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Yes I agree I don't know what would have happened but seeing as yesterday only one of his signings was in contention for a place in the starting line up I would suggest his recruitment plan was not that great either. He made many mistakes and appears to be doing the same at Chester.

Is biggest mistake was that he was so ignorant and self absorbed that he believed he had to dismantle and rebuild the squad again. He didn't need to do that and not only did his poor recruitment dealings result in a league 2 club with 30 pros which squandered a lot of the Omar money it destroyed a spirit that had taken years to build.

If he had come in took his time and added "technical ability" over the course of time then things might have been different. You could see all you needed to know about Bignot by his treatment of Gowling and his public comments about the squad not having ability within his first 2 weeks of arriving, such things do not go down well with your existing pros.  

......and then along comes Slade, increases the squad size and squanders his budget with his present crop of signings. Yes, only one of Bignot's players was in contention but that was Slades choice. Slade now says we need another striker so obviously some of the ones he brought in are not good enough or not what he expected. Slades signings include a left-back who isn't fit for purpose ( and we allegedly had to increase what we offered him to sign ), Kelly who is conspicuous by his absence, Cardwell who hardly gets a look in, JJ , well enough said and Woolford.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 57
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.