MuddyWaters
January 6, 2018, 10:52am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
Gosh you have to dispair, why are people starting to talk this club down.

Just because one guy leant against a snooker table and said we overachieved before he took it on does not mean we have not been  (considerably) underachieving for the last 15 years.  Talk about trying to shape your place in history. I'd equate the JF years with what I'd call the lost decades.

I'm not talking the club down - just the way it's been run.

I'm proud to be a Mariner - always will be.
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 100
Swansea_Mariner
January 6, 2018, 11:02am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I'm not talking the club down - just the way it's been run.

I'm proud to be a Mariner - always will be.

I wasn't specifically referring to you, but there are definitely views that we are at our level and should just accept that. We should be doing better.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 100
TheRealJohnLewis
January 6, 2018, 11:16am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Can we ever have “fan ownership” at GTFC? I doubt it as we can’t even sing the same songs at the same time at some games

I'm going to make an assumption here so apologies in advance if I assume wrong. I've picked on your post, but I've also seen this point raised across Fishy, Fb and Twitter, ie, "the fans can't agree how can they run a club?"  When you talk about not being able to sing the same songs at the same time, I read that as fans are not in agreement.  EVERY single town fan is united by one simple goal which is to be successful, where the differences arise is "what is success?" and "How do we achieve it? I want to achieve A, by doing B and C, and you want to achieve X by doing Y and Z. Who's right and who's wrong? irrelevant really. If the whole of the board was made up of people who wanted to achieve ABC, then the club would do this, whether it was good for the club or not. If you were also on the board, you could say why this was a bad idea and we might come to an agreement that D,E,F was the correct route and best for the club.  So you need people with differing opinions who are not just going to be yes men, which I believe we've currently got.

Just on the Fishy, there are some successful people who know how to run businesses, there'll be experts in  PR, Marketing, etc, it doesn't matter, whether they can agree on the little things but it could and can work.

I hope this makes sense.
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 100
MuddyWaters
January 6, 2018, 11:20am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

I'm going to make an assumption here so apologies in advance if I assume wrong. I've picked on your post, but I've also seen this point raised across Fishy, Fb and Twitter, ie, "the fans can't agree how can they run a club?"  When you talk about not being able to sing the same songs at the same time, I read that as fans are not in agreement.  EVERY single town fan is united by one simple goal which is to be successful, where the differences arise is "what is success?" and "How do we achieve it? I want to achieve A, by doing B and C, and you want to achieve X by doing Y and Z. Who's right and who's wrong? irrelevant really. If the whole of the board was made up of people who wanted to achieve ABC, then the club would do this, whether it was good for the club or not. If you were also on the board, you could say why this was a bad idea and we might come to an agreement that D,E,F was the correct route and best for the club.  So you need people with differing opinions who are not just going to be yes men, which I believe we've currently got.

Just on the Fishy, there are some successful people who know how to run businesses, there'll be experts in  PR, Marketing, etc, it doesn't matter, whether they can agree on the little things but it could and can work.

I hope this makes sense.

Newport are a great example of a club taken over by a Supporters Trust. I know one of the directors and he's really enthusiastic about how far they have come in the two years since they took over by working as a team using each other's strengths in various areas.
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 100
Marinerz93
January 6, 2018, 11:38am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from HertsGTFC

At any point did I use the word “never”? belief only gets you so far in football these days I’m afraid.

History actually counts for what you have achieved that’s why it’s termed as history.

Can history repeat itself in football terms? Yes definitely it does most seasons with a handful of wealthy clubs and some seasons with the less wealthy but rarely with the poorest.

Other than history nobody has yet to answer why we can consider ourselves “lower half of the championship top of league 1” level. I’d love us to be there but we’re not.

Before you come back with “what your saying is” as it’s a very tiresome phrase  I’ll be clear on what I’m saying whether people like it or not,

Do I like the current apathy? No

Do I want rid of the board? Nothing personal but if they persist in the way they operate which is delivering apathy yes?

Do I want us to play better football and win more? Yes

Do I believe we can hound Fenty out ? No

Can we ever have “fan ownership” at GTFC? I doubt it as we can’t even sing the same songs at the same time at some games

Do I believe endless threads about the same topics will support the point above? No, but those who want to be engratiated by their peer groups by posting stuff that’s “down with the kids” knock yourselves out, post what you like it’s a free country and we all need to respect that

Do I think the current non chairman has been the reason for our decline? Not completely but for all the good he’s done he’s done many things to self harm the club

Do I want rid of Slade - No but I am not convinced by him or Wilco

Do I think Slade has bought badly? I’m not sure what he had at his disposal but currently it’s definitely more duffers than diamonds

Do I think Osborne is playing a game to get a move ? I suspect so but hope I’m wrong

Do I think Jones is doing the same ? No

Do I think Hurst was decent and Bignot mental? Yes

Do we need to be lucky in the window? Definitely!

Do I think the club could move forward to better things? Yes of course but sadly only with more money being pumped in a change of ideas, complete unity, better players and a manager who is not just a safe pair of hands and a new stadium that’s not located on fantasy island!

I think that’s my current position on most of the endless tired and over worked topics a small amount of posters on here continually seem to drag out when they are bored with watching Jeremy Kyle and Hones Under The Hammer in a morning

Clear enough for you?

I rarely watch TV, work all day and on the fishy all night  , if you are tired of endless and over worked topics, do what anyone with a bit of grey matter would do and don't read them, titles often give away the topic or can't you help yourself replying, being all pro JF, to your post I don't need to go on a silly rant, just one word Scunthorpe.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 100
HertsGTFC
January 6, 2018, 12:26pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

I hope this makes sense.

Fair post that mate.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 100
HertsGTFC
January 6, 2018, 12:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93

I rarely watch TV, work all day and on the fishy all night  , if you are tired of endless and over worked topics, do what anyone with a bit of grey matter would do and don't read them, titles often give awatitles often give away the topicy the topic or can't you help yourself replying, being all pro JF, to your post I don't need to go on a silly rant, just one word Scunthorpe.

Where am I being “all pro JF” ?

“titles often give away the topic” not the first time you’ve used that line recently with a poster who doesn’t align with your views.

I’ll assume another response where you put words in someone’s mouth are attach a stupid picture.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 100
Marinerz93
January 6, 2018, 2:59pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Where am I being “all pro JF” ?

“titles often give away the topic” not the first time you’ve used that line recently with a poster who doesn’t align with your views.

I’ll assume another response where you put words in someone’s mouth are attach a stupid picture.

Maybe I have used the line "titles often give away the topic" before, I know I am not the only one to have stated the obvious to you or someone else who is pro Fenty and can't help themselves whine and blubber about a thread only to continually post on that thread, you obviously can't help yourself because you pop up time and time again defending Fenty then complain about the thread, or try and water down what we are capable of or should be achieving to suit you mates ambition.

Leon is a good lad and did you read his post afterwards or just trying justify your view is the only view, a bit like your mate who you always stick up for.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/MsUPztw.gif[/img]

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 100
Gaffer58
January 6, 2018, 3:16pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
I know we seem to keep comparing ourselves against scunny but over the last few years I cannot believe they have had a sufficient income from gates, tv and transfers to break even, in fact apart from the premier 99% of clubs are losing money every year. So do all these other clubs have a generous non chairman that loans them the money for nowt or do they borrow from the bank.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 100
HertsGTFC
January 6, 2018, 4:01pm

Barley Wine Drinker
[quote=347]

Maybe I have used the line "titles often give away the topic" before, I know I am not the only one to have stated the obvious to you or someone else who is pro Fenty and can't help themselves whine and blubber about a thread only to continually post on that thread, you obviously can't help yourself because you pop up time and time again defending Fenty then complain about the thread, or try and water down what we are capable of or should be achieving to suit you mates ambition.

Leon is a good lad and did you read his post afterwards or just trying justify your view is the only view, a bit like your mate who you always stick up for.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/MsUPztw.gif[/img][/

Who is my “mate” read back my posts you’ll see I am critical of the current apathy.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 100
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The benign debt

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.