7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
barralad
January 3, 2018, 11:42pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,267
Gold Stars: 121
Is my sense of irony over developed or can anyone else see something strange in someone hiding behind a keyboard urging other people not to hide behind a keyboard and support a boycott.
For the record I will never support a boycott of a league or proper cup match that GTFC are playing in. It might not be great at the moment on and off the pitch but I've endured worse in my 50 years of watching Town (68/69, the Mike Lyons year morphing into the Bobby Roberts disaster and more recently the Bath City whole season culminating in our relegation) and not at any point did I feel that a boycott would help. Whoever the XI are that turn out in the black and white need the support of the fans. In my mind the alternative will create a self-fulfilling prophecy of doom.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 63
KingstonMariner
January 4, 2018, 12:09am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from barralad
Is my sense of irony over developed or can anyone else see something strange in someone hiding behind a keyboard urging other people not to hide behind a keyboard and support a boycott.
For the record I will never support a boycott of a league or proper cup match that GTFC are playing in. It might not be great at the moment on and off the pitch but I've endured worse in my 50 years of watching Town (68/69, the Mike Lyons year morphing into the Bobby Roberts disaster and more recently the Bath City whole season culminating in our relegation) and not at any point did I feel that a boycott would help. Whoever the XI are that turn out in the black and white need the support of the fans. In my mind the alternative will create a self-fulfilling prophecy of doom.

I'm not at the boycott stage or even sure it is the right thing, but whether it's a boycott or just simply a case of people saying, 'I'm not prepared to put up with any more of that shite, especially with that board', the numbers look to be going down. So a slow death or a quick one. I guess people are struggling to find ways to make their voices heard (and heard properly not just dismissed as a bunch of whingers on social media). I think it's inevitable that support will ebb away unless there's some significant change. Civvy's comments illustrate for me how things are going, and he's far from being a radical Young Turk.

I'm sure some of the edge will be taken off with a couple of good results, but that'll only be temporary.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 63
fleabag1970
January 4, 2018, 11:30am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
Irony ??? . It's not that at all it is just people typing away to point out how easy it is to affect things .. Stop going to games ..... that doesn't mean I want it to happen it just means its the only affective way to force a change , if that is what a supporter desires

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 63
AussieMariner
January 4, 2018, 11:53am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,072
Gold Stars: 31
Rather than being negative (boycotts, negative chants etc), how about making a positive protest?
I went to a match yesterday - Sydney FC vs Newcastle and Sydney have a group of home supporters called The Cove who congregate at one end and sing and chant from the first minute to the last. A bit like our away support. Fantastic atmosphere created by a few hundred fans.
Why can’t we get out of our comfort zone at BP and treat the home game like an away game and challenge the management and the team to rise to our level as supporters- just fill the Pontoon stand and yell like mad for 90mins - supporting the team, which is essentially our role, rather than just whingeing.
I’d also challenge the club to reward the away supporters - eg anyone with a ticket from the last away game gets a discount or free pint or a pie or whatever if they are in the Pontoon.
We talk about making BP a fortress, or say it should be, but then we treat it like a garden party.
Let’s do our job as supporters as well as we can (more than just buying a ticket)
I wish I could be more involved but I’ve booked my flights for my next visit an will be at Swindon away, Notts at home, Forest Fungus away and all the play offs ( if we don’t get automatic promotion)
UTFM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 63
realist
January 4, 2018, 12:11pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,689
Gold Stars: 41
I have missed the last few games deliberately and feel really good about it. Always left wetherspoons happy. Good product good facilties and saved money to boot. The games over the festive period. Used to be the highlight of the year. Not any more thanks to fenty and slade
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 63
TAGG
January 4, 2018, 12:20pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,961
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from golfer
Where would the club have been if J.F. hadn't stepped in-we don't know. He was once upon a time hailed as the saviour.  not many of us would walk away and give up £2million plus. He has made mistakes and will keep making them but the guys not made of money and most likely appointed Slade with all good intentions. Is Slades contract too expensive to terminate-we don't know. Possibly J.F. regrets bringing him in but doesn't know what to do-I wouldnt,Meeting in car parks is no good. I bet 90% of those at a demonstration would go straight in to the match afterwards,especially S.T. holders.        I just hope Slade gets the message and uses his own sword to come to our rescue

FFS

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 63
OneLove
January 4, 2018, 12:21pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +731
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from barralad

And unfortunately my friend, I and the group I go with wasn't about 50 years to witness this but if your happy with sitting on the fence and paying money to a deflated club thats going knowhere then thats your choice. I for one like many others want the best for this club, we've gone through 15 managers most of which where ex players, since the realm of fenty and co, plummeted from championship to out-the-league-ship and now back in the league playing worse football than when woods was in charge, a new ground thats been in the pipeline since the 90's, absolute no desire what so ever or ambition to say 'yes in five years time we will be a championship side again', asks the fans to pay the tax bill, never know where our money goes, blames the fans for people not wanting to come on board and when finally we do get people on board they are quickly exited out the back door because they aren't 'yes' men. And now we are stuck in a rut, a manager who plays crap football with a squad playing like journeymen. People will disgaree with my views but for the future and new generation of fans its not attratcive and worries me that it won't be long before its a closed book. Now that my friend is years of bottled up anger and now its a got to the point where enough is enough!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 63
Gaffer58
January 4, 2018, 12:37pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
Who would be a football non chairman. Mr Fenty complains about the abuse he gets, the fishy at the ground etc, well this is from a club our size, just imagine the abuse say the Sunderland non chairman is getting. Please note this s not of defence of Mr Fenty at all. Also if any of us won say £100 million on the old lottery and bought Mr Fenty out, would we be happy with abuse etc if the team were on a bad run.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 63
1mickylyons
January 4, 2018, 12:42pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from OneLove

And unfortunately my friend, I and the group I go with wasn't about 50 years to witness this but if your happy with sitting on the fence and paying money to a deflated club thats going knowhere then thats your choice. I for one like many others want the best for this club, we've gone through 15 managers most of which where ex players, since the realm of fenty and co, plummeted from championship to out-the-league-ship and now back in the league playing worse football than when woods was in charge, a new ground thats been in the pipeline since the 90's, absolute no desire what so ever or ambition to say 'yes in five years time we will be a championship side again', asks the fans to pay the tax bill, never know where our money goes, blames the fans for people not wanting to come on board and when finally we do get people on board they are quickly exited out the back door because they aren't 'yes' men. And now we are stuck in a rut, a manager who plays crap football with a squad playing like journeymen. People will disgaree with my views but for the future and new generation of fans its not attratcive and worries me that it won't be long before its a closed book. Now that my friend is years of bottled up anger and now its a got to the point where enough is enough!

You make a good point at the forum it was suggested by either JF or SM possibly both that the club could not attract new investment largely due to the toxic supporters and the abuse they dish out.However to my knowledge the last 3 major board departures have been caused from internal disputes Carr,Parker and Mullen? Most fans want to attend every game BUT given the fayre on offer a lot are saying no thanks and sadly this Saturday that will include me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 63
barralad
January 4, 2018, 12:48pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,267
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from OneLove

Well "my friend" I hope you've got enough left of your tether to step in if and when you get your wish. I don't think I'll be putting any money on you being around to help deal with the fallout.
If you think that the current situation is as bad on the pitch as the relegation season then might I respectfully suggest that you get some perspective from somewhere.  

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 63
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Boycott, Banners and Chanting

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.