January 2, 2018, 12:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,210
Gold Stars: 226
Lets face it;
we cant afford to buy a proven goalscorer,
we probably couldn't even attract a proven goalscorer (as there are potentially 12/13 other teams in League 2 who may be a better proposition right now)

so we are left with ......

an out of favour striker or recovering from injury striker at another club ...   best case scenario from those would be a League 1 player i imagine
raw young talent looking for League action to develop ..... from a Championship club maybe at a push,
goalscorer at a lower level ........competition from other teams for such a signature a probable issue.

For me, i think we will end up with either an out of favour League 1 striker who may need a few games to get match fit........or a fast raw talent from a U21/23 Championship club to help us with the counter attack style of play.

Post Edit .... missed one off ...
or....
a journeyman striker with a 1 : 4 level career average that is looking for a last 18 month deal somewhere..

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 38
Maringer
January 2, 2018, 12:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,411
Gold Stars: 184
To be fair, a shite striker with some pace could probably improve us by simply running around a lot and giving the opposition defence something to think about instead of the usual plodding stuff in front of them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 38
Jarmo.Is.God
January 2, 2018, 12:09pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from moosey_club
Lets face it;
we cant afford to buy a proven goalscorer,
we probably couldn't even attract a proven goalscorer (as there are potentially 12/13 other teams in League 2 who may be a better proposition right now)

so we are left with ......

an out of favour striker or recovering from injury striker at another club ...   best case scenario from those would be a League 1 player i imagine
raw young talent looking for League action to develop ..... from a Championship club maybe at a push,
goalscorer at a lower level ........competition from other teams for such a signature a probable issue.

For me, i think we will end up with either an out of favour League 1 striker who may need a few games to get match fit........or a fast raw talent from a U21/23 Championship club to help us with the counter attack style of play.

Them teams above us probably don't need a striker like we do
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 38
RoboCod
January 2, 2018, 12:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
I think 'raw pace' will tick all the boxes required for Slade.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 38
moosey_club
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,210
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Them teams above us probably don't need a striker like we do

with the exception of Luton i would say all other teams in the running or trying to break into the running may want to strengthen that area.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 38
crusty ole pie

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,338
Gold Stars: 62
Signing a striker is not the only answer to our problems we could sign £100,000 striker put him into this team and he will struggle, we also need to be able to put some quality balls into the danger areas we need mid fielders who dare to have a punt at goal that are capable of hitting the target giving instinctive strikers a chance on the follow up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 38
mariner91
January 2, 2018, 12:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,580
Gold Stars: 260
I think we've got players capable of supplying the balls if there is movement in front of them. Right now we could have a midfield of Iniesta, Pirlo and Paul Scholes and we still wouldn't get many chances as we're completely lacking in movement in the final third. We're also criminally slow. At no point does anybody look to go beyond the strikers and we're not even coming short to pull them out of position, it's terrible.

If we got a couple of players with pace and movement that will at least pull the opposition defence around a bit more and give them something to think about then I think Summerfield, Davies and Dembele wouldn't be completely useless at creating chances.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 38
Jarmo.Is.God
January 2, 2018, 12:52pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from crusty ole pie
Signing a striker is not the only answer to our problems we could sign £100,000 striker put him into this team and he will struggle, we also need to be able to put some quality balls into the danger areas we need mid fielders who dare to have a punt at goal that are capable of hitting the target giving instinctive strikers a chance on the follow up.

Bonne is the joint top scorer playing for a team 2 places above the relegation zone, which is always a positive if you can score regularly in a struggling team
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 38
OneLove
January 2, 2018, 12:55pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +731
Gold Stars: 10
hopefully he will sign some more tripe forwards on a two year deal, praying to god he goes this week
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 38
1mickylyons
January 2, 2018, 12:57pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Surely a better rumour would be I just saw a guy in a white Stetson wearing a Town scarf going into Millfields.............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 38
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Rumours started

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.