3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
lobsterpot
January 2, 2018, 6:03am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +18 / -2
Approval: +742
Gold Stars: 15
Apologies in advance i trawled through pages and did a search for the last Max Wright thread but to no avail so just a quick update with a this new one.
Remember South Shields? The team who beat Clee Town 5-0 at Wembley in the FA Vase final? Unbeaten in like a million games with Julio Arca, Jon Shaw etc playing? Well yesterday Scarboro' went to there place and beat them 3-1 with young Max scoring the 3rd goal. To emphasise how well the seadogs are doing this season with Max and Coulo in the side, Shields were romping the league at 1 stage, and went to Scarboro' and won earlier in the campaign. This latest result see's them drop to 2nd, same points as Scarboro and now both 1 point behind new leaders Prescott Cables. Scarboro' have 3 games in hand over the league leaders.  Attendance was just over 1800 and it was Shields' 1st home defeat in over a year!
So, for Max, that's 8 goals so far this season, having missed 6 games through suspension and signing late. He is ripping fullbacks a new ar$ehole each match.
I'm always reading on here folk going on about how $hit the quality is in the Evostick but honestly it is played at a higher standard than some people think but i suppose i can state that till i'm blue in the face but still may not convince peeps. Anyways, if you want a bit of entertainment then check out some of their goals on youtube if you get chance and you are not bored to death of me waffling on about them.
Listen, i'm town, Max is Town, he is a relation of mine and i want whats best for him and GTFC so like to get what he is achieving out there in the public eye. Just wish certain peeps at the club would bother taking as much interest as i do! I'm pretty sure it would not hurt anyone to bring Max on for the last 20 mins when we do the usual 70 minute Dembele sub but maybe that's too attacking for Russell's liking! Shame he's not a defensive midfielder or centreback altho' he did a decent job at fullback pre season aswell!  UTM always and forever.

" YOU ALWAYS SCORE FROM OUR CORNERS, SCORE FROM OUR CORNERS........"

Logged Offline
Private Message
HertsGTFC
January 2, 2018, 7:40am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
What does Max want, game time every week or the slim possibility of the odd place on the bench every few weks or so?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 22
dapperz fun pub
January 2, 2018, 7:42am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,719
Gold Stars: 81
I’ve spoke to so called experts in the game somebody from towns academy and someone from Scunthorpe academy plus someone who manage semi pro level ( sorry no names ) and the general feeling is Wright & Clifton are not league level ... I personally think they should be given a chance , maybe Clifton’s opportunity off the bench isn’t that far away.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 22
HertsGTFC
January 2, 2018, 7:50am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
Ironically I remember when Wlco came into the side as a youngster he looked skinny, light weight and easily bullied by defenders but could score the odd goal here and there, he then came on when given game time and the rest is history.

With the young lads you have to take a punt from time to time, Hurst made the right noises but never committed, same with Bignot and Slade is definitely not brave enough,  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 22
lobsterpot
January 2, 2018, 8:50am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +18 / -2
Approval: +742
In reply to HERTS i would say how can he judge himself or be judged until he gets the chance of a slim sub appearance every now and again? This is his hometown club and if he got the call to say get your ar$e back here youre on the bench he would jump at the chance to prove himself. If he's not good enough then fair play he goes somewhere else to find his level. Same with anyone isnt it? Yes, league football is of course a different kettle of fish to friendlies, but i'm pretty sure everyone who's seen Max, Clifton, Venney etc thought they looked promising and would give them at least 1 little sniff of coming off the bench for 5 minutes in a proper game. I can understand if they looked dog$hite but they didnt they looked more than capable. People tend to forget, these youth players coming through are nearly 20 years old but cos' theyve come through the ranks they must be junk but it's ok giving Caldwell a run out who is of a similar age but from somewhere else other than the GY academy of cackola!
Oh and DAPPERZ, if theyre not upto league level then they should slot into this team just nicely

" YOU ALWAYS SCORE FROM OUR CORNERS, SCORE FROM OUR CORNERS........"

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 22
cannylad68
January 2, 2018, 9:39am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
As with any profession, music especially, the more you play with accomplished people, the better you get.
I have a friend who watches Scarborough regularly, and he tells me Max is far and away the best player, although a bit light weight.
I wish the youth players were given more first team game time, and they would get better for it.
I remember a certain Duncan Welbourne/ Angus Davidson being thrown in at a young age, and they didn't do too bad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 22
1mickylyons
January 2, 2018, 9:45am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,260
Gold Stars: 54
Quoted from lobsterpot
In reply to HERTS i would say how can he judge himself or be judged until he gets the chance of a slim sub appearance every now and again? This is his hometown club and if he got the call to say get your ar$e back here youre on the bench he would jump at the chance to prove himself. If he's not good enough then fair play he goes somewhere else to find his level. Same with anyone isnt it? Yes, league football is of course a different kettle of fish to friendlies, but i'm pretty sure everyone who's seen Max, Clifton, Venney etc thought they looked promising and would give them at least 1 little sniff of coming off the bench for 5 minutes in a proper game. I can understand if they looked dog$hite but they didnt they looked more than capable. People tend to forget, these youth players coming through are nearly 20 years old but cos' theyve come through the ranks they must be junk but it's ok giving Caldwell a run out who is of a similar age but from somewhere else other than the GY academy of cackola!
Oh and DAPPERZ, if theyre not upto league level then they should slot into this team just nicely

I would suggest home grown players can raise their game an extra 10% at least because of what it means just a shame they get overlooked for lads like Cardwell from elsewhere not that he has had a chance either mind Scott Vernon and JJ Hooper REALLY!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 22
oldun
January 2, 2018, 10:34am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
He was a decent youth player, well regarded, but there  is a big step from Scarborough to League 2.  No disrespect to them or Max.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 22
Tommy
January 2, 2018, 10:41am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
I'd say if he's excelling so much at that level then that's the best indicator that it's the wrong level for him to be playing at. Ideally if he's a stand-out at that level he needs to be playing higher where he'll be challenged.

Would it be possible for him to ask if he could go on loan to a Conference/Conference North Club for the second half of the season? I worry for him that if he's been out on loan all season, Slade won't have seen him to make a decision on him about whether to keep him or not. And reports of impressing at Scarborough's level doesn't sound as persuasive as impressing at Conference(north) level.

Not criticisms, just looking at how he could give himself the best chance of staying pro here.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 22
ivanosandwich
January 2, 2018, 10:49am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +1,467
Quoted from lobsterpot
Apologies in advance i trawled through pages and did a search for the last Max Wright thread but to no avail so just a quick update with a this new one.
Remember South Shields? The team who beat Clee Town 5-0 at Wembley in the FA Vase final? Unbeaten in like a million games with Julio Arca, Jon Shaw etc playing? Well yesterday Scarboro' went to there place and beat them 3-1 with young Max scoring the 3rd goal. To emphasise how well the seadogs are doing this season with Max and Coulo in the side, Shields were romping the league at 1 stage, and went to Scarboro' and won earlier in the campaign. This latest result see's them drop to 2nd, same points as Scarboro and now both 1 point behind new leaders Prescott Cables. Scarboro' have 3 games in hand over the league leaders.  Attendance was just over 1800 and it was Shields' 1st home defeat in over a year!
So, for Max, that's 8 goals so far this season, having missed 6 games through suspension and signing late. He is ripping fullbacks a new ar$ehole each match.
I'm always reading on here folk going on about how $hit the quality is in the Evostick but honestly it is played at a higher standard than some people think but i suppose i can state that till i'm blue in the face but still may not convince peeps. Anyways, if you want a bit of entertainment then check out some of their goals on youtube if you get chance and you are not bored to death of me waffling on about them.
Listen, i'm town, Max is Town, he is a relation of mine and i want whats best for him and GTFC so like to get what he is achieving out there in the public eye. Just wish certain peeps at the club would bother taking as much interest as i do! I'm pretty sure it would not hurt anyone to bring Max on for the last 20 mins when we do the usual 70 minute Dembele sub but maybe that's too attacking for Russell's liking! Shame he's not a defensive midfielder or centreback altho' he did a decent job at fullback pre season aswell!  UTM always and forever.

Great to hear that Max is doing so well at Scarborough, from your comments it sounds like he is enjoying his football.

I can't help making comparisons between him and JO at Solihull. I'm sure he would jump at the chance for a place on the bench at BP, that's probably because he wants to play for GTFC but I can't help thinking if he is enjoying his football so much, for his own sake he is better off staying at Scarborough, scoring goals and waiting for the inevitable Slade fallout to dissipate.

Good luck to him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 22
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Max Wright Watch

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.