Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Management Poll
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 120 Guests

What would you do with the management team?
Keep Slade & Wilkinson and give them funds for the transfer window
Sack Slade & Wilkinson but no funds are available for the replacement/caretaker
Sack Slade & give Wilkinson funds for 1 or 2 additions
Keep Slade & Wilkinson but insist they work with what we currently have contracted
  View Results 141 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

Management Poll

This thread currently has 4,953 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
lukeo
January 2, 2018, 12:58am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,304
Gold Stars: 133
As daft as it sounds and I feel like a parrot here.. I know it's a result Base game at the end of the day BUT for me it's not the results that have made me want to stop going. It's the way we play and the lack of support our forward gets and the lack of anything to come off the bench to give us some spark.. Our form on paper is what I expected if I'm honest. Mid table, won the same amount as we've lost with a few draws. But it's the way we are playing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 20
Bigdog
January 2, 2018, 8:39am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from promotion plaice

Totally agree with this......many of us including me are a bit fed up with current results at the moment but we still have to live in the real world

We are not even flirting with the relegation places at the moment.

You're right in the fact that we're not flirting with the relegation places..yet. We've got 20 games to muster up 17 points which should be easy to get even with the squad we've got because most teams are so poor in this division. But.. if we continue our run of form for the next 10 games, we'll need 13 points from 10 games, and that looks beyond this squad under that amount of pressure.

Then there's another factor to consider. In another world where the club has got plenty of money and a more football savvy non-chairman I'd sack him tomorrow and give the new manager a fighting fund to clear out the dead wood and build a new squad for next season and get it bedded in over the next twenty games. But we're not in that financial position. Slade's style of football has probably already cost us around £200k in lost gate receipts already this season and more than likely is going to cost us another £200k over the remaining ten home games. So, can we afford not to sack him? Is the bond between the hierarchy at the club and the fans too broken to inspire fans to return even if a new manager is in place so lost gate revenue isn't a factor to consider?

I'd be tempted to keep Slade until the end of the season, not give him funds to spend on his kind of player and hope for the best, then sack him on the final whistle of the final game for crimes against entertainment. He's had the money, he's signed enough players and hasn't performed to the required level of promotion contenders as was clearly set out at the start of the season. Unless JF has messed up, his pay off shouldn't be that much at all in the grand scheme of things.

Everyone's mentioning funds. What funds? The only way I could see money being available is if Dembele and/or Jamie O are to be sold this window. With the falling gates, where's it going to come from?  Is JF going to borrow a magic money tree from someone?

No simple answers I'm afraid. Other than, without changes in the boardroom, new season, new manager, player clear out and hope season ticket sales hold up for 2018/9.

Surely we can find five wins from somewhere, even as shite as we are!! And this is what our season has been reduced to..yet again..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 20
monkeyboy
January 2, 2018, 9:50am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -174
Gold Stars: 26
I would sack Slade but i would keep Wilko. dont see really what he has done wrong tbh and could be a very good assistant or even manager for all we know. Its Russ that picks the team and chooses tactics.

He certainly has contacts in the right places to get some young talent on loan like he already has.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 20
TheRealJohnLewis
January 2, 2018, 2:56pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
How can people suggest giving Slade any more money when you look at the last transfer window and the shite he brought in.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 20
golfer
January 24, 2018, 10:30am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,373
Gold Stars: 111
Quoted from Harry Haddock
You've missed one... Sack Slade & Wilkinson and give the new manager funds to start rebuilding the squad

Hope it's not too late
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 20
friskneymariner
January 24, 2018, 10:30am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,136
Gold Stars: 38
It was too late in July.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 20
arryarryarry
January 24, 2018, 1:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Agree with Ginny on this. Besides, it'd be like shuffling the deckchairs on the Titanic.

You mean we are going to sink anyway and wasn't it the Captain of the Titanic that was found to be responsible for hitting the iceberg resulting in the sinking.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 20
MarinerMal
January 24, 2018, 1:28pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +784
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from ginnywings
Sometimes the best course of action is to hold your nerve and do nothing. I suspect that targets have already been identified and initial contact made, so best wait and see where we are at the end of the window and beyond. I don't think a new manager is what we need right now, unless there is an outstanding candidate waiting in the wings. And even if there was, i don't think the board will be contemplating a change at the moment. He's only had one window so far and any manager has to be given a bit of time, even one as unpopular as Slade is right now.

If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading.

It's not so much the team not winning. I was there for the entire relegation season to the conference and that long long non-winning run under Woods.

It's the football that is the biggest turn off. That needs to change and Slade in his entire career has shown little evidence of being able to do that. I'm finding it hard to motivate myself to go watch anymore of that drab negative football we play 99% of the time under Slade. I am not the only one and there are many season ticket holders not turning up for games.

Normally, I'd advocate more patience for a manager but not in this case. Slade has been such a negative appointment form day one,many people will not turn up to watch his football.

The only option IMO is to remove him sooner rather than later, bring back the feel good factor, the intrigue of what to expect on match day and let the club move on again. The club is in limbo and in danger of going backwards once more.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 20
TAGG
January 24, 2018, 3:20pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,981
Gold Stars: 121
Sack Slade & Wilko that's my vote but it's not on there.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 20
grimsby pete
January 24, 2018, 5:26pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
The problem with Slade is he's stuck in his ways,

When told that Town played some good football not a lot of long balls on Saturday,

He replied to JT in a louder voice, " there is nothing wrong with the long ball John."

He will never change.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 20
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Management Poll

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.