gaz57
January 2, 2018, 1:08am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +993
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from chaos33
Yes, he said that at the recent forum. 'I'm trying to build you something'.
What is it Russ?

He was playing with his Lego under the table
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 27
Mrs Doyle
January 2, 2018, 3:53am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
When your manager tells his players right I want EVERYBODY back for EVERY corner it says two things to me. He as no confidence in the defence and as given up on our counter-attack.

It's the most negative tactic ever and must be a joy to play against.

A massive vote of no confidence in their abilities right there from the boss WTF???

The players must feel the same way as us about it and it shows in their body languish.

Just watching the highlights? on sky and we almost conceded when a cleared corner by us is knocked straight back in by their defender under no pressure at all.

Got to go down as the worst tactic I have ever seen and that includes the crazy lopsided Bigclot formation.

P.S. Ben Davis blasting over from six yards is inexcusable sorry but with defenders kept away from him he as to hit the target at least.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 27
Davec
January 2, 2018, 9:52am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
This Ben Davies blasting over from 6 yards is flipping terrible. The chances of you scoring from an indirect free kick is actually quite slim because of the sheer volume of players on the line, now if I asked people what would they do. Hit it low or high I would imagine most would say low which is what it should be. Pelt the ball low towards the goals, the men on the line have little chance to react so at the very worst the ball should bounce back into the box giving you and team mates another chance to score. Smashing it high over the bar is inexcusable
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 27
chaos33
January 2, 2018, 10:00am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
I might argue the opposite. You smash it at a player's cobblers, or chest or, better still, face, and they flinch, move or turn away, increasing the chances of a fortuitous deflection or a lack of reaction from a player who can't stick his foot or leg out to block the ball because it's whistling straight at their chops. Obviously he didn't mean to blast it over the bar and that's pretty shabby all things considered, but you could probably understand why he wanted to smack it high.
He made a bad mistake. It happens. He's not one of the players we should be generally disappointed with. We are not carrying him or getting no return for our money like several others. He's  done well this season I would say.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 27
Tommy
January 2, 2018, 10:51am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
Agree with some of the points made by chaos above.

This criticism of Ben Davies missing this free-kick is ridiculously over the top and unjust. A bit like when people slate a player for missing a penalty. It happens. Not everyone scores penalties, just like not everyone scores indirect free kicks, or even gets them on target, when there's 10 bodies on the goal line 7 yards away.

He was clearly going for the roof of the net. Nothing wrong with that and if he'd smashed it lower and hit someone's knee/chest, I'm sure everyone would have been calling him a disgrace etc etc (same old rubbish) for hitting it straight at a defender.

I know there's a lot of negativity around a lot of things but, jesus christ, pick reasonable things to get so wound up about at least, not someone missing a chance that he should've scored because you'd have scored it playing on Fifa18 at home.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 27
IlkleyMariner
January 2, 2018, 10:55am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +2,872
Gold Stars: 66
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
When your manager tells his players right I want EVERYBODY back for EVERY corner it says two things to me. He as no confidence in the defence and as given up on our counter-attack.

It's the most negative tactic ever and must be a joy to play against.

A massive vote of no confidence in their abilities right there from the boss WTF???

The players must feel the same way as us about it and it shows in their body languish.

Just watching the highlights? on sky and we almost conceded when a cleared corner by us is knocked straight back in by their defender under no pressure at all.

Got to go down as the worst tactic I have ever seen and that includes the crazy lopsided Bigclot formation.

P.S. Ben Davis blasting over from six yards is inexcusable sorry but with defenders kept away from him he as to hit the target at least.

The tactic of getting every player back for corners is common amongst many teams including up to premiership level. It does not explain gtfc poor performances.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 27
Garth
January 2, 2018, 11:02am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from gaz57

He was playing with his Lego under the table

Ive heard it called a few things but never Lego
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 27
mimma
January 2, 2018, 11:03am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,544
Gold Stars: 78
Quoted from IlkleyMariner

The tactic of getting every player back for corners is common amongst many teams including up to premiership level. It does not explain gtfc poor performances.

But......
When they clear the ball they don't whack it as far as possible,  but play it out to the edge of the box where their midfield players can pick it up and counter.
We just whack it and stand around waiting for the ball to be played back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 27
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.