Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 371 Guests

Match thread

This thread currently has 24,015 views. Print
20 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
Gaffer58
January 1, 2018, 5:45pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,035
Gold Stars: 31
Although I would like Slade to go but I am afraid it's the same situation as England. Over the last 15 odd years England have had a number of managers, some with half decent records but, they were still all working with basically the same players, who as we know were just not good enough. Even if we change manager he will still be working with the same players, the only hope would be if he had better ideas and tactics than what we've got now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 160 - 194
BottesfordMariner
January 1, 2018, 5:49pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +1,312
Gold Stars: 9
I didnt go today and tbh never planned to.

However i would normally have put on the radio commentary. This season has gradually sucked my enthusiasm away so i didnt even bother with that.

Thought I'd check my phone after about half and hour just to see ........2 down. Oh well. Game over then. I didnt even bother following the score after that ......what was the point. I have never seen Slade do anything to change a game so this would be no different. I haven't read the match report...again no need to really. I expect Town tried to keep it tight after going 2 nil down and did nothing to really get back in the game. In that sense Slade would be content no further damage happened.

Getting to the point that i can be arsed with much more of this. Morecambe at home on Saturday....bumper crowd there then. Can i summon the will to make the 60 mile round trip?? Have my ST so probably will but if things dont get better ( and i mean positive performances as  much as results) the day may come when i will think nah.

Slade wont change so wake up Fenty. We will get nowhere with him in charge. Then do the honourable thing yourself.

I also am questioning what Wilko actually does. He was a forward (a pretty good one as well) so presumably has some input on our attacking ideas???? This side is one of the most clueless , inept, shite sides going forward I have ever seen in my life.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 161 - 194
Mikoo
January 1, 2018, 5:52pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: +466
Quoted from BottesfordMariner
I didnt go today and tbh never planned to.

However i would normally have put on the radio commentary. This season has gradually sucked my enthusiasm away so i didnt even bother with that.

Thought I'd check my phone after about half and hour just to see ........2 down. Oh well. Game over then. I didnt even bother following the score after that ......what was the point. I have never seen Slade do anything to change a game so this would be no different. I haven't read the match report...again no need to really. I expect Town tried to keep it tight after going 2 nil down and did nothing to really get back in the game. In that sense Slade would be content no further damage happened.

Getting to the point that i can be arsed with much more of this. Morecambe at home on Saturday....bumper crowd there then. Can i summon the will to make the 60 mile round trip?? Have my ST so probably will but if things dont get better ( and i mean positive performances as  much as results) the day may come when i will think nah.

Slade wont change so wake up Fenty. We will get nowhere with him in charge. Then do the honourable thing yourself.

I also am questioning what Wilko actually does. He was a forward (a pretty good one as well) so presumably has some input on our attacking ideas???? This side is one of the most clueless , inept, shite sides going forward I have ever seen in my life.

It was really odd before the game, Wilko was doing the warm up with the defenders. Not the attackers
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 162 - 194
Mrs Doyle
January 1, 2018, 6:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Well the big test during the Christmas period came and went what did we learn?

Unlike our neighbours Lincoln we failed miserably to step up to the mark, their squad is mean and lean( yeah even Rheed) and not afraid to go at the opposition full of confidence.

A nice sized squad Ideally placed to make a couple of quality signings for the final push and marshaled by two talented young managers.

Our side looks toothless without ideas an excess of contracted players not wanted by the manager sent away disillusioned.

Only players to show consistency being Clarke,Collins Summerfield, and Dembele.

It's going to be a painful second half probably without the only bright spark worth the entrance fee ho will be gone to pastures new.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 163 - 194
KingstonMariner
January 1, 2018, 6:21pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from TAGG

Nothing to do with trust.
The whole team are excrement that's why stats are as they are since the lad came in. Things would be no different if Macca was between the sticks.

That's what i was getting at.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 164 - 194
chaos33
January 1, 2018, 7:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,788
Gold Stars: 349
Quoted from RoboCod

Can't believe I'm saying this but Dave Moore stepping in would do it for me, as unadventurous as it sounds. Because for me, Fenty and Slade have poisoned this club in the last couple of months in particular. The forum was awful, the unveiling of the horrendous Marley a shock to the system, he's the mad ranting family member you keep locked up in the cellar, not parade in front of the fans and media.
As bad as it was we still had a decent unbeaten run to possibly build on back then, but that seems to have crashed spectacularly since Fenty's new attack dog Slade ordered Matt Dean from the training ground. Had our majority shareholder and our manager put as much effort into running the club and the team as they put into attacking a local journalist I'm sure we'd be at least a bit better off.

Give it to Mooro, grind the results out and let the season dwindle away then delete it from history, then let everyone involved do some soul searching and do what's right for the club before it's really too late.

I wouldn't have a problem with letting Dave Moore hold the reins in the short term. He is a great man and knows football and players inside out, except to say.....just what might Dave Moore realistically be expected to achieve in the newly open transfer window? In all seriousness, and due respect to the man.

I'm undecided about keeping or sacking Slade. I can see the reasons for both, and I'm probably leaning towards the latter after listening to his post match and other recent interviews, and using my eyes to behold the pathetic recent performances/tactics, but if the window is crucial, as most seem to agree, then we have to persist until that's done really. Surely. If business is poor and results and performances continue in the current pattern by Feb, then I'd say he'd have very little, if any support left. Decision makes itself then. We must win the next home game, and we need more than one better player than we've got, immediately, if not sooner.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 165 - 194
RoboCod
January 1, 2018, 8:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
You may be right, it's an unsettling experience currently for anyone who's not of the immediate 'sack him tonight' persuasion. Dave Moore as a steady guiding hand would be ideal for me, though I doubt he'd even consider taking the reigns fully and negotiate through a transfer heavy January.
I'd settle for the knowledge that Slade is gone at the end of the season unless he somehow turns this team into at least a top 8 contender. If not then getting rid, of course, is dictated by his contract length....

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 166 - 194
chaos33
January 1, 2018, 8:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,788
Gold Stars: 349
Nobody could reasonably expect Dave Moore to have the knowledge and contacts to find two or three quality players in the window. That's not his area of expertise. It's not what he does. It'd be barmy  and grossly unfair to expect that of him. He can motivate, organise and set up a team, for sure. Anyone else at the club that could manage us through a good window...?

No there isn't is there.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 167 - 194
RoboCod
January 1, 2018, 8:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
We could start a 'how about Mooro and Buckley combo?' thread I suppose

In all honesty though, yeah, we are out of options other than plodding on.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 168 - 194
arryarryarry
January 1, 2018, 11:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,938
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from chaos33
Nobody could reasonably expect Dave Moore to have the knowledge and contacts to find two or three quality players in the window. That's not his area of expertise. It's not what he does. It'd be barmy  and grossly unfair to expect that of him. He can motivate, organise and set up a team, for sure. Anyone else at the club that could manage us through a good window...?

No there isn't is there.

I think you would be surprised at the contacts DM has.
Private Message
Reply: 169 - 194
20 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.