MuddyWaters
December 30, 2017, 8:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from friskneymariner
Think he got a distinction in saying 'Yes John'.

Pity he didn't learn 'Here's my resignation John'
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 43
Tommy
December 30, 2017, 8:14pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Don't think whether he played the game is that relevant. An increasing number of Coaches/Manager's are emerging and being successful who never played the game (or to any decent standard).

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 43
Wrawby_Mariner
December 30, 2017, 8:24pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +50 / -13
Approval: +862
Gold Stars: 6
Just to even this out, the Cowley's were PE Teachers so I'm not sure why this thread is needed really... It wasn't so much of an issue in his last tenure.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 12 - 43
Gaffer58
December 30, 2017, 8:31pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
Wrawby, it's now ten years since his last tenure, might have hoped he had learnt many new techniques and strategies plus a few successful seasons in that time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 43
RichMariner
December 30, 2017, 8:38pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,141
Gold Stars: 209
I have no problem with Slade's lack of playing experience.

When it comes down to it, all I care about is his ability to build a strong squad, get them playing good football and winning matches to get us in contention of promotion.

He's built a large squad, not a strong one; he's got us playing dull football and we're winning as many as we're losing (with a -6 goal difference).

He may need more time to improve - which, to be fair, we have - so maybe he can take us forward next season. But I'm not particularly happy just to see us meander into a 14th place finish this season. If we're going to end up mid-table I'd at least like him to adapt his philosophy and get the team playing more fluent, attacking football to win the fans back.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 14 - 43
Wrawby_Mariner
December 30, 2017, 8:40pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +50 / -13
Approval: +862
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from Gaffer58
Wrawby, it's now ten years since his last tenure, might have hoped he had learnt many new techniques and strategies plus a few successful seasons in that time.

I would hope so too, having gone on to manage in the Championship. The man can only operate within budget, and It's fair to say some players haven't been up to it... We have a massive squad... Lets hope we can offload deadwood before bringing in some better players.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 15 - 43
GrimRob
December 30, 2017, 9:30pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Every dog has his day. Slade peaked a few years ago sadly. He will get found out when it comes to season ticket sales in the summer, should he still remain here.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 16 - 43
MuddyWaters
December 30, 2017, 9:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from GrimRob
Every dog has his day. Slade peaked a few years ago sadly. He will get found out when it comes to season ticket sales in the summer, should he still remain here.

I would really like to renew my ST next season - the only way it will happen is with a progressive manager and a progressive budget.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 43
Bigdog
December 30, 2017, 9:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Slade's qualifications?

He got the job because he was the last manager standing in JF's address book..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 43
ginnywings
December 30, 2017, 10:01pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from GrimRob

Exactly this. Worked his way up to the Championship, failed, and is working his way back towards non league. If he had done the biz in the higher divisions, no way would he be managing a mid table League 2 side now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 43
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Slade's Qualifications

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.