Tommy
December 31, 2017, 7:00pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Bigdog

Your analysis shows good completion figures granted and demonstrates his improvement this season. I've said it before and I'll say it again about him though, and it won't be very popular, he flatters to deceive. He is very neat and tidy but look where he's passing from. He's passing from really deep, nothing from in the final third and virtually nothing into the final third or box. I don't think he's brave enough with the ball. You're probably right about lack of movement ahead but central midfielders also have to drive at the defence to create uncertainty and actually get beyond the forward line once in a while and this is his achilles heel and why we need someone different to him to get us out of this league. He would be perfect as the deep lying midfielder in a three acting like a quarterback with more advanced partners but Slade is a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 manager who likes his defenders to clear their lines rather than play, which is another factor which reduces Summerfield's effectiveness. Twenty odd passes in 90 minutes underlines that fact. Summers is perfectly effective at this mid-table level but we will need more if we're looking to compete at the top end of the table. Pleased he's won over a lot of people but I still don't think he's the answer. You've had to go as far back as the Port Vale game for a defence splitting ball, he should be making at least one or two of them a game if he's our playmaker..

Fair and well-designed arguments as usual Bigdog.

It's a good point about the low number of passes over 90mins and I mentioned that in what i wrote. But as you say the way the team plays and what he back 4 do with the ball doesn't help him get as much of the ball as he'd probably like to.

I'd have been interested to see how many passes all the players made/completed because I'd imagine some would be in single figures and LS would have been amongst the highest. I'd put that down to the fact that he does try more than most to create angles and ask for the ball.

You could be right but I think it's a tough one to know if he'd be more effective with playing defence splitting passes unless we see him play behind forwards that show a bit more inventive movement off the ball.

Ultimately though he's not one who has great success when driving forward to commit defenders. So I think he is more suited to one of the deeper lying midfielders in a 4231 (the formation we started the season with before we had the usual clamour from everyone for us to go back to 442).

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 83
IlkleyMariner
December 31, 2017, 7:16pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +2,977
Gold Stars: 68
Seasons greetings. Sorry we have had a lethargic last four games.
Thinking about some of the comments above, I just wonder whether we would be better suited to 4-2-3-1 formation. There are many sides now following this approach and I think it might suit the players we have.

Back four usually ok or good
Summerfield and rose
Dembele jones Osborne
Matt

With dj on the bench to cover one of the wide positions.

Works for Huddersfield who have limited resources.

Best wishes for 2018

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 83
HertsGTFC
December 31, 2017, 7:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,889
Gold Stars: 225
Quoted from Tommy

Fair and well-designed arguments as usual Bigdog.

It's a good point about the low number of passes over 90mins and I mentioned that in what i wrote. But as you say the way the team plays and what he back 4 do with the ball doesn't help him get as much of the ball as he'd probably like to.

I'd have been interested to see how many passes all the players made/completed because I'd imagine some would be in single figures and LS would have been amongst the highest. I'd put that down to the fact that he does try more than most to create angles and ask for the ball.

You could be right but I think it's a tough one to know if he'd be more effective with playing defence splitting passes unless we see him play behind forwards that show a bit more inventive movement off the ball.

Ultimately though he's not one who has great success when driving forward to commit defenders. So I think he is more suited to one of the deeper lying midfielders in a 4231 (the formation we started the season with before we had the usual clamour from everyone for us to go back to 442).

I’m no student of the game but I have been thinking for a while that looking at the players I have seen in most other teams in this leagueour lads are not that bad and it’s the shape and game plan that gets in the way.

Overall we are a striker or two bothwith footballing brains short of being half decent.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 83
chaos33
December 31, 2017, 9:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,864
Gold Stars: 353
I like 4-2-3-1 but Matt as the lone forward? Not good enough. Plus, Osborne isn't currently here and Jones is all over the place.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 83
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.