9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
oldun
December 31, 2017, 10:09am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from Hagrid
But that isnt summerfields fault is it? We never seem to have anyone making runs behind the back 4

I agree. Our movement off the ball is poor especially in attacking areas. Given we have Wilko I am surprised he has not made the attacking players better.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 83
MuddyWaters
December 31, 2017, 10:16am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from oldun
Good analysis of Luke and he kept posession for us. However few of his passes threaten the opposition. We need forwards running into space so someone like Luke can play them in. We never get in behind the defence so none of his passes were into the danger area.

Jones' lack of movement yesterday was blatant. Talk about going through the motions.
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 83
DavidB
December 31, 2017, 11:45am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +192
Quoted from Tommy
Sorry I know this sort of stuff isn't everyone's cup of tea, but just sharing a little bit of analysis into Luke Summerfield's passing today:

http://bit.ly/2zQuZod

Hopefully some might find it at least slightly interesting.

Excellent analysis Tommy - many thanks. Refreshing to read an objective analysis rather than just the 'they're not good enough / Slade out' type comments (which of course people are entitled to make, but analyses such as yours provide insights into what specifically might need to change).

(Also, I admire your coaching philosophy on your website - well articulated, and commendable priorities!)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 83
devs
December 31, 2017, 12:34pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 30
Accrington attacked as a pack - 4/5 going forward, great movement, pin point passing, clinical finishing - everything we weren't.
They have some very good 'footballers' - and I don't mean 6ft 3in lumps who are athletes first and footballers second.
Player who are encouraged to get the ball down and pass it
This is what you get with hoof ball I'm afraid - no tactical acumen, no joined up thinking when the 'big fella' knocks it down, and players who don't know what to do when they get a sniff of a chance

Slade's football HAS to be successful because there is no aesthetic enjoyment - a few wins here and there just paper over the cracks and eventually it fails

It's the PL equivalent of Pulis at WBA - once their slide started the ugliness of the football just comes to the fore and fans vote with their mouths and feet

It's odd because 6pts off play offs and mid table security is not the worst place to be - but the whole package (off and on field) feels as bad as I can remember.

I've never felt less of a connection with a GTFC team /set up as this in 35 years of supporting them - it feels so characterless and devoid of any enjoyment

May 2016 and Wembley seems like light years away

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 83
Tommy
December 31, 2017, 1:50pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Hagrid
But that isnt summerfields fault is it? We never seem to have anyone making runs behind the back 4

Generally, yes, but Cardwell did yesterday when he came on (I know he didn't score) and you've written him off already.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 83
devs
December 31, 2017, 2:20pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 30
Cardwell had a thankless task
2-0 down, hasn't played for ages, and some expect him to change the game!

I'd give him a few games - nothing to lose with the sh*te we currently have
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 83
HertsGTFC
December 31, 2017, 3:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,876
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from Tommy
Sorry I know this sort of stuff isn't everyone's cup of tea, but just sharing a little bit of analysis into Luke Summerfield's passing today:

http://bit.ly/2zQuZod

Hopefully some might find it at least slightly interesting.

Really like to see this kind of thing, if only the person Luke passes to could do better but as you say the completion rate is very strong, He must be the fittest at the club by a mile as he often pops up to tidy things up at the back and play us out of trouble.

A lot of people are talking about bids coming in for Dembelle in Jan but based upon form we need to be careful someone does not tempt Summers away.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 83
Gaffer58
December 31, 2017, 3:24pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,097
Gold Stars: 31
But are his passes creating anything? I could stand and make 5-10 yard passes to a teammate and get excellent completion statistics, but the team might not be threatening, a fine example is Liverpool's Henderson, again keeps possession and will have good stats but does he create.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 83
Tommy
December 31, 2017, 3:30pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Gaffer58
But are his passes creating anything? I could stand and make 5-10 yard passes to a teammate and get excellent completion statistics, but the team might not be threatening, a fine example is Liverpool's Henderson, again keeps possession and will have good stats but does he create.

This is a fair point and often at the top level you'll see centre halves with very high passing completion when opposition drop off and the CB's can roll the ball back and forth to each other for minutes on end. (See Otamendi at Man City currently with mad high numbers of passes).

That's what the maps are for though in that you can generally see he's either passing forwards or to get it out wide.

I'd add that I think he does have a bit of vision and an ability to play a killer pass (See assist for Dembele goal at Port Vale), but for that to happen he needs movement ahead of the ball. Not just a player making a run to receive it, but also other players moving to drag markers with them and create space for others too.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 83
lew chaterleys lover
December 31, 2017, 4:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,653
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from devs
Accrington attacked as a pack - 4/5 going forward, great movement, pin point passing, clinical finishing - everything we weren't.
They have some very good 'footballers' - and I don't mean 6ft 3in lumps who are athletes first and footballers second.
Player who are encouraged to get the ball down and pass it
This is what you get with hoof ball I'm afraid - no tactical acumen, no joined up thinking when the 'big fella' knocks it down, and players who don't know what to do when they get a sniff of a chance

Slade's football HAS to be successful because there is no aesthetic enjoyment - a few wins here and there just paper over the cracks and eventually it fails

It's the PL equivalent of Pulis at WBA - once their slide started the ugliness of the football just comes to the fore and fans vote with their mouths and feet

It's odd because 6pts off play offs and mid table security is not the worst place to be - but the whole package (off and on field) feels as bad as I can remember.

I've never felt less of a connection with a GTFC team /set up as this in 35 years of supporting them - it feels so characterless and devoid of any enjoyment

May 2016 and Wembley seems like light years away

I agree with a lot in your post, but the Wembley mention in your last season got me thinking.

The football that season wasn't great; we were in non league and until the second leg against Braintree looked like staying like that. Wembley was one of our best ever days, but very much a one off.

We are now back with the "elite" so to speak, and in a much stronger position to progress, if we put our backs into it - the owner I mean in giving the manager funding to strengthen the team. We would have been severely restricted in the amount of players as a Conference club, but now we are in the league we should surely be able to attract better players if the wages are right.

I am not sure exactly how I feel at the moment. League football means everything to me - the shame of falling into non league still haunts me - so in that sense I am happier than some, but now is the time for the owner to start investing in the playing side before more and more people feel like you.
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 83
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.