This thread currently has 9,883 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
oldun
January 1, 2018, 12:40pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
On the pitch we are not doing well enough, but I feel we have some decent players. We clearly do not score enough goals, but that is not all down to the strikers, although they should be taking more chances. Problem for me is we do not turn defences, our movement off the ball is is not good enough. We are too static and hit too many hopeful forward balls for people to chase. On occasions when they get behind the defence I have seen cool finishing from Jones, Matt, Hooper and Dembele. Problem is not often enough as we hit and hope. It is frustrating to see this continuing. Our defence is ok but will have the occasional off day, that happens at all levels. We must address the goal scoring but it is not just a case of bringing in more forwards, the style of play and movement must be much better.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 80
MuddyWaters
January 1, 2018, 12:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from oldun
On the pitch we are not doing well enough, but I feel we have some decent players. We clearly do not score enough goals, but that is not all down to the strikers, although they should be taking more chances. Problem for me is we do not turn defences, our movement off the ball is is not good enough. We are too static and hit too many hopeful forward balls for people to chase. On occasions when they get behind the defence I have seen cool finishing from Jones, Matt, Hooper and Dembele. Problem is not often enough as we hit and hope. It is frustrating to see this continuing. Our defence is ok but will have the occasional off day, that happens at all levels. We must address the goal scoring but it is not just a case of bringing in more forwards, the style of play and movement must be much better.

I think we have the personnel and that's the frustration - whether we set up as 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-2-3 or 4-3-3, we need to get away from this 'easy to deal with' 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 that we've got now. We've scored 7 goals in the last 12 games with 8 blanks - that's neither acceptable or good enough.
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 80
heppy88
January 1, 2018, 1:10pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I get the way people are feeling in all of the posts above and agree with plenty of it but I do have an alternate view.................    

A good post Hearts. Can I have some of your DNA? as I wish I could share your pragmatism and balanced viewpoint. But after all the poor decision making and disgraceful behaviour of certain members of the board over the last weeks and months, the dire football since promotion and Saturdays display, then unfortunately my outlook for the club over the coming months and years is far from positive. I’ve discussed and overheard many points of view over the last few weeks and the theme is unanimous: Fans are losing interest. Yes, most will continue to come, but what will be the tipping point? Already we read posters on The Fishy not turning up even though they are season ticket holders. If the club can’t deliver with attendances of 4 -6000 what are the chances of success with sub 3000 attendances? But let’s be honest falling attendances will only be a symptom of the main problem. A much bigger problem which impacts on every aspect of our club and if allowed to remain will continue to do so.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 80
HertsGTFC
January 1, 2018, 1:14pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,906
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from devs
Herts, you mention Lincoln and the fact that they have TV money from their cup run. Well, they had to have a team capable of making that cup run in the first place, which brought in the money. The Cowleys came in and quickly changed Lincoln from mid table non league also rans going nowhere, to league champions and cup giant killers. Lincoln were dead on their ar$e and down to crowds in the 2000's. A good appointment changed that in one season and now they are playing in front of big crowds every week and moving forward much more quickly than us. In short, they did something that captured the imagination of the fans and transformed everything, on and off the pitch. They tapped into their potential. We on the other hand....................

Ginnywings is spot on - it's not always about mega bucks but a manager/s that transforms the ethos of a club both on and off the pitch. Look at Accrington - they cannot have a bigger budget than us surely? But Coleman believes in decent football (progressive and on the ground) and has found the players to do that; if I was an Acc fan I would really buy into that and be passionate about my small club fighting the big boys
If your ethos is like Buckley's - and remember he first came to GTFC when we had suffered two relegations - then it puts a smile back on faces and everyone gets behind the team
What we have is dinosaur attitudes both on and off the pitch and fans are finding it hard to stomach - 'indifferent' is the way my mate summed it up.

It is a pursuit of mediocrity allied with no ambition, on and off the pitch... and it is mind-numbingly dull

I think your both right to be honest my Lincoln point was more around the cash has surely helped them to get to their current league position and I agree it was a good appointment, ambition and fans engagement that got them promoted last season rather than cash. In fact I think it's fair to say that their management did exceptionally well with a set of non league standard players.

I am convinced that JF thought he was getting "up & coming" and "new ideas" with Bignot but as ever it appears he did not do his home work and /or never sought the opinion of people within the footballing side of the game. Add to that a lack of control at exec level and in a short time we had chaos.

The leadership is the issue and clearly they want away if the American stories are to be believed, I am undecided if the lack of ambition and energy from the exec is either about JF's exit strategy or just the fact that he and the other 2 "less - enthusiastic amateurs" are just dull.

Like I say I think pretty much everything in the posts above is correct or at least is a fair opinion my post was more about the fact that through circumstances beyond our control and some poor management on and off the pitch we are in a position where we will have to be patient.  

Is Fenty the man to take us forward off the pitch? IMHO No. Is Slade the man to take us forward on the pitch? IMHO potentially not, but until he has had a season and a chance to get some people in and out then I'll reserve judgement.    

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 80
HertsGTFC
January 1, 2018, 1:21pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,906
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from MuddyWaters

All very plausible stuff BUT it's not up to the fans to manage the expectation levels, it's not up to the fans to manage the budget and it's not up to the fans to create a way forward for the club. The question for the board is how confident they are of delivering a viable future for GTFC and when the major shareholder only rates the chances of a new stadium as 7 out of 10, then I worry.

So for clarity.....

1. I think the expectation is coming from elements of the support so your first bit in bold could be challenged

2.  Did I post that the fans should manage the budget?

3. Third bit in bold I agree that it's not up to the fans to take us forward, again I never posted such a suggestion.

You might be worried about the future, I think we all are but as a minor sponsor you cant be that worried surely

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 80
Gaffer58
January 1, 2018, 2:37pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
I think we will scrape through a mid table position, Mr Slade will then state that he has consolidated and is now building for a promotion attempt next season. Mr Fenty will be happy with this and my prediction is that he will take another £100k of his loan (benign) , so at the next fans forum it will all be sweetness and light, and we have a stable platform. ( Christ, that all sounds PR gobbledygook)
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 80
Theimperialcoroner
January 1, 2018, 9:39pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,172
Gold Stars: 102
Saturday and now today. Stop The Sludge

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 80
Theimperialcoroner
January 6, 2018, 5:00pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,172
Gold Stars: 102
It was male masturbation against Accy, and even worse today. Get him gone.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 80
Swansea_Mariner
January 6, 2018, 5:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63
Slade sucking  the life out of the club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 80
louth_in_the_south
January 6, 2018, 5:27pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,671
Gold Stars: 94
Theres a cliché in football that goes " he went because he felt hed taken the club as far as he could "

well its clear JF has taken this club as far as he can .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 80
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Stop the Sludge

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.