darren9
December 30, 2017, 9:07pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -7
Approval: +607
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from heppy88

I totally agree. I'm sure many agree and lets be honest, the points you make are nothing new. But HOW to make that in bold happen? That is the eternal question that never seems to get answered.

It can’t be answered unless you have the funds to make it happen. Which, plainly none of us do. Even if I did I do t know how to run a football club. Not really. I can theorise all day long on a message board but if it came to it I’d not doubt do a worse job than the current lot. That’s not to say that as a fan I shouldn’t be prevented from voicing an opinion.

There must be someone out there who could do a better. Job though. Surely there has to be an alternative?

Granted. We’re  a small club. In an shite league. In a run down area of the county and therefore there aren’t many other prospects to come in and sweep us off our feet. There isn’t many Russian oil billionaires who want to invest in Grimsby and I’d bet there aren’t many sheiks who even know we exist.

But there must be someone? And if not there must be a way of attracting other forms of investment and having another sort of board because with all the best will in the world (and I except whole heartedly that the board do not want to see us fail and they have the clubs best interests at heart) it has to be said they’re not doing a great job are they?

A change at board level, and I’m not suggesting a big sack the board and start again - (it would be nice but probably unrealistic) might just kick start something. A bit of momentum. A nudge in the right direction. A change of outlook.

I don’t know how to make it happen but it’s not up to me to make it happen is it? I’m just one stupid name on a message board having a go at those who do the job.

Twitter: @DarrenLeeNewman
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 80
Marinerz93
December 30, 2017, 11:12pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from RichMariner
Football is evolving constantly. It outpaced even the great Alan Buckley in the end.

Slade's been standing still for 10+ years. He's only going to get worse if he's going to persist with this style of football.

And what's worse than League 2 football? Sadly, we know the answer all too well.

I would like to know how Buckley's budget compared to Newells, Woods and the like because I heard it was one of Towns lowest ever budgets as someone was cutting everything down to the bone, and I heard Buckley was told "I don't mind us being average until we are in the new stadium. Considering it was the lowest ever budget, he got us to Wembley.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 80
Swansea_Mariner
December 30, 2017, 11:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,430
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from Marinerz93

I would like to know how Buckley's budget compared to Newells, Woods and the like because I heard it was one of Towns lowest ever budgets as someone was cutting everything down to the bone, and I heard Buckley was told "I don't mind us being average until we are in the new stadium. Considering it was the lowest ever budget, he got us to Wembley.

A very fair point , look through the records, we turned a profit under Buckley Mk3  IMHO his last stint was unfairly judged. Ok we weren't great but we weren't as bad as under Newell, Woods, Rodger, Law,  Bignot and yes I'll say it Slade Mk2.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 80
Marinerz93
December 30, 2017, 11:37pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

A very fair point , look through the records, we turned a profit under Buckley Mk3  IMHO his last stint was unfairly judged. Ok we weren't great but we weren't as bad as under Newell, Woods, Rodger, Law,  Bignot and yes I'll say it Slade Mk2.

Good review, this Sladeball MK2 is worse than what AB III dished out I would say, certainly the apathy of the fans is the worst I have seen and that includes the non league years.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 80
rancido
December 31, 2017, 1:56pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,527
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

Our wage bill must be pretty big with the number of players we signed,  perhaps Slade should have signed fewer better players rather than his total scatter gun approach.

Or maybe I am wrong and we aren't able to compete with Accrington on salaries.

This sums up the whole situation as regards our present squad and how RS added to it. Too many hasbeens / journeymen and not enough quality. I don't accept the budget wasn't big enough but it was wasted on unnecessary and poor quality signings.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 80
Ipswin
December 31, 2017, 2:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Marinerz93

the apathy of the fans is the worst I have seen and that includes the non league years.

In the non-league we used to win (quite) a few and were always in for a shout of promotion. Frankly I don't see what all the excitement about being in the 4th Division as opposed to the 5th is all about - I preferred the Conference

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 80
rancido
December 31, 2017, 2:09pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,527
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Ipswin

In the non-league we used to win (quite) a few and were always in for a shout of promotion. Frankly I don't see what all the excitement about being in the 4th Division as opposed to the 5th is all about - I preferred the Conference

I hope you have your tin hat ready!

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 80
Swansea_Mariner
December 31, 2017, 2:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,430
Gold Stars: 63
This club should never  have seen the conference and should be fully capable of competing in Division 4.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 80
HertsGTFC
December 31, 2017, 3:30pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,875
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from darren9

It can’t be answered unless you have the funds to make it happen. Which, plainly none of us do. Even if I did I do t know how to run a football club. Not really. I can theorise all day long on a message board but if it came to it I’d not doubt do a worse job than the current lot. That’s not to say that as a fan I shouldn’t be prevented from voicing an opinion.

There must be someone out there who could do a better. Job though. Surely there has to be an alternative?

Granted. We’re  a small club. In an shite league. In a run down area of the county and therefore there aren’t many other prospects to come in and sweep us off our feet. There isn’t many Russian oil billionaires who want to invest in Grimsby and I’d bet there aren’t many sheiks who even know we exist.

But there must be someone? And if not there must be a way of attracting other forms of investment and having another sort of board because with all the best will in the world (and I except whole heartedly that the board do not want to see us fail and they have the clubs best interests at heart) it has to be said they’re not doing a great job are they?

A change at board level, and I’m not suggesting a big sack the board and start again - (it would be nice but probably unrealistic) might just kick start something. A bit of momentum. A nudge in the right direction. A change of outlook.

I don’t know how to make it happen but it’s not up to me to make it happen is it? I’m just one stupid name on a message board having a go at those who do the job.

Bit in bold never stopped Fenty, Day & Marley having a go.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 80
Ipswin
December 31, 2017, 4:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from rancido

I hope you have your tin hat ready!

Frankly I'm still trying to see the real difference between the conference and Div 4 apart from the 'Football League status' thingy which seemed to bother many, the  footy was entertaining, we won a lot of games, away clubs and their stewards were in the main far more welcoming. Whats not to like?

I'd much rather be top 6 Conference than bottom half Div 4. Pompey have gone , Luton are going so apart from Coventry there are no 'bigger' clubs to see, the rest of Div 4 are pretty much the same dross as the Conference, in fact there are a lot of 'Div 4' teams down there.

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 80
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Stop the Sludge

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.