6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Vance Warner
December 28, 2017, 9:41am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +18 / -5
Approval: +2,772
Gold Stars: 99
Funny how everyone on here rates Hurst these days. His 'boring' post match interviews and 'Yorkie' accent don't seem quite so important now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 56
Garth
December 28, 2017, 9:47am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from Vance Warner
Funny how everyone on here rates Hurst these days. His 'boring' post match interviews and 'Yorkie' accent don't seem quite so important now.

Thats because we`ve got our Russ back  and are not missing him
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 56
forza ivano
December 28, 2017, 10:55am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +73 / -18
Approval: +15,140
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Vance Warner

Maybe a number of people have seen how he's turned shrews around , reflected on what he did here and maybe compared that to what's happened since he left.
What's the old saying about never knowing what you've lost until it's gone?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 56
sam gy
December 28, 2017, 11:09am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,387
Gold Stars: 53
Hurst is a winner, he’s won everywhere he’s been. I’m still a bit gutted he decided to leave us to be honest, but don’t blame the guy after the seemingly lack of support from the board, and the vitriolic abuse he received during our promotion, yes promotion season.

You don’t know what you’ve got til it’s gone indeed.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 56
KingstonMariner
December 28, 2017, 11:19am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Maybe it’s because we don’t have to listen to him any more.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 56
RichMariner
December 28, 2017, 12:14pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
There was a tendency to focus on the 'little' things and hold them against him, rather than looking at the 'big' things.

History will show that Paul Hurst got us back in the Football League with a 50% win ratio.

He brought some very good players to the town.

History will also show he went onto another club and turned their fortunes around drastically.

Yes, we got caught up with his lack of Plan B, stubbornness, ear-cupping reaction at Wembley, bringing Parslow on when 2-0 up at Chester and his Yorkshireness and so-called dour interviews.

But those were the little details. On reflection, they didn't really matter because the bigger picture is that he's been our most successful manager since Alan Buckley, whether you like to read that or not.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 35 - 56
Mariner93er
December 28, 2017, 12:25pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,674
Gold Stars: 28
There's also the big club mentality still at play with some, who thought we had a divine right to be in the football league, and Hurst the easy job of guiding us there. In reality, it is a truly difficult task to get any team out of that league, just ask Wrexham, Luton, Tranmere, Hartlepool, Leyton Orient, Macclesfield etc
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 56
HertsGTFC
December 28, 2017, 12:49pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,636
Gold Stars: 217
If Wednesday are happy to build to get success Hurst could be their man.He has promotions on his CV from each club he managed prior to his current role.

In his current role he dragged them off the bottom of their league to safety in his first 6 months/season and in the 2nd season has them in a good place to go up, not many managers can say that.

If he does not go to a club the size of Wednesday now I am sure he will do in the future.

Good luck to him he clearly works hard and anyone who grafts deserves success.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 56
BottesfordMariner
December 28, 2017, 1:01pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +1,312
Gold Stars: 9
Hurst has proved himself as a very capable manager in the lower leagues. Done a good job wherever he's been. Built a consistent contender at Town and finally got us promoted and turned Shrewsbury from relegation strugglers to promotion hopefuls.

He's done his apprenticeship so to speak.

Loyalty?? There is none in football. These days a manager is probably only half a dozen bad results from the sack....no matter what he may have achieved before. So i wouldnt blame any manager to want to improve themselves given the chance. Wednesday would be a step up from Shrewsbury with much greater potential to take them further.

His connections to the club would make it a no brainer should he be offered the job.

Good luck to him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 56
TheRealJohnLewis
December 28, 2017, 2:32pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from Vance Warner

I would take Hurst's dour interviews over Slade's stuttering slime that he spews out.  I feel Slade is just trying to say what he thinks the fans want to hear.

It's a hard choice for Hurst (if he is offered the job), Go for the money or go for the stability? Does he have the nous to manage players who think they're big time charlies, there's a massive step up from us and Shrews, compared to a club the size of Sheff Wed.  I guess only time will tell.

Private Message
Reply: 39 - 56
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst linked with Wednesday job

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.