Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back-on the train.
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 132 Guests

Just Back-on the train.

This thread currently has 7,305 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
barralad
December 23, 2017, 5:57pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,289
Gold Stars: 126
Beaten by a better side today. Luton's passing and movement reminded me at times of Town in Buckley's first spell. It may well however have been very different if their lad had received the correct colour card for scything down Dembele in front of the dug out. It was late, his feet were off the floor and he wasn't in control. Text book straight red really!
For 40 odd minutes Town defended as well as they did at County last week but then the midfield parted with one pass  leaving their guy to curl an unstoppable effort inside the post. Macca had no chance.
To their credit Town continued to battle with Sam Jones involved in most of the attacking stuff although in truth our lack of a cutting edge was demonstrated again and again. Summerfield fired one just wide first half and Matt hit the outside of the post from a very tight angle early second half.
The second goal killed the game really with their lad getting in front of our defender (I couldnt see who) from a free kick.
Once D.J. and Siriki departed the flair also went. Hooper played some useful link up play, Vernon did what he always does-put the effort in but we never really looked like giving them a nervy last 20.
MOM a toss up between Clarke and Collins (unless either were the defender sleeping for goal number 2.)
Good turn out of Mariners who made plenty of noise.
I'll be amazed if Luton aren't automatically promoted on their showing today.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
buckstown
December 23, 2017, 6:54pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,176
Gold Stars: 79
Great report Barralad, we were beaten by the better team. Slick passing and movement to the point were they looked like they had 2 extra men at one point. I was impressed by the way we defended but it felt like a matter of time before they scored.
I think Dembele's pace made the foul look worse but no surprise it was only a yellow as the ref made some weird decisions.  At one point the lino flagged for offside against Luton and he gave them a free kick.
We huffed and puffed around their goal but they also looked pretty solid at the back. Matt won a lot of aerial balls but none in really dangerous areas and thought we could have even gone more hoofball into their box (I'll punish myself later)
Woolford and Vernon offered nothing, to the point that a knackered Dembele and Matt might have been better. I was mildly impressed when Hooper came on and suspect there's a footballer in there somewhere. Certainly better than his early publicity.
Town fans well behaved and in excellent voice. Davies MOM for me, he never stopped and looks like a 25 year old trying to impress.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 12
forza ivano
December 23, 2017, 7:25pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,149
Gold Stars: 265
Can't add too much more. Luton looked like a good div 1 side.the fact that dembele was anonymous until he switched sides shows what a good game their right back had. They were too quick in feet, mind and motion.couldnt fault towns performance, they did well to hang on in there. Went with some Luton fans who said that was a pretty standard performance from them.you can easily see how they've thrashed some many sides.
Collins and Clarke deserve huge praise whilst rise and summerfield covered acres, with rose the more impressive IMHO. It was rose who didn't really go with Collins for their second. Was impressed with jones who is very skilful and hardworking.matt tried hard but was on a hiding to nothing with just pretty aimless balls launched forwards. Davies was good as well. You knew we'd given up the ghost when we had Vernon, Woolford and hooper up front!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 12
HertsGTFC
December 23, 2017, 7:41pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,906
Gold Stars: 228
Agree with the above best team won and I think the smart money would be on them to finish top from what I saw of Notts County last weekend. Really liked their passing & movement and unlike many sides at this level they where able to generate a real tenpo from the kick off. It would be easy to say that the difference was that they had finishers in Berry and Collins but in reality today they where a better football team than us.  

So mid table side lose away at the league leaders who on the day where better than the visitors, time to move on and start thinking about Boxing Day I reckon.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 12
mariner91
December 23, 2017, 8:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,584
Gold Stars: 260
No shame in losing 2-0 away to a side who may very well be champions in May. Least we don't have to go there again this season. Dust ourselves off and get three points on Tuesday!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 12
Mariner93er
December 23, 2017, 9:04pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
Ultimately, this should be our hardest game of the season, and we by no means embarrassed ourselves. So as others have said, we move on to 2 games which are far more important in the battle for the playoffs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 12
KingstonMariner
December 23, 2017, 9:13pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Echo most of what others have said except I can't see what was the point of Matt today. Sam Jones' decision-making let him down a few times but boy does he have potential.

To add to Bucks' comments about bizarre refereeing decisions, at one point in the first half Summerfield got in front of one of their players near our left corner, got pushed in the back and went down very easily. The ball went out on the sidelines off Summerfield. Did the ref:
(a) award them a throw-in;
(b) award us a free kick;
(c) award them a throw-in and book Summerfield for 'simulation'?

None of the above. He gave them a free kick.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 12
December 24, 2017, 9:12am
Guest User
Can only agree with the above. Their passing and movement up front was outstanding for this level. They have a number of clever players, good hold up play and they are quick and organised. We couldn't live with them, we didn't play badly, sometimes you have to hold your hands up and say you've been beaten by the better side.

We can still make the play offs, but we'll need to sign two or three players in the window that can go straight into the side, a left back, a centre forward and perhaps Jamey Osbourne can be that 'third signing'?
Reply: 7 - 12
moosey_club
December 24, 2017, 10:28am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,238
Gold Stars: 226
Cant believe the balanced and well considered reports and summaries....c'mon play the game.....we lost FFS ...Slade Out !!

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 12
forza ivano
December 24, 2017, 10:30am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,149
Gold Stars: 265
Someone made the comment, which I could only nod in agreement ' it was like meeting the div 2 equivalent of man city'
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 12
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back-on the train.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.