Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › January window - when has it worked?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 334 Guests

January window - when has it worked?

This thread currently has 4,657 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
LondonMariner43
December 20, 2017, 7:33am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,891
Gold Stars: 64
I've been trying to remember a January window where we have made one or more great signings which have made a real difference to the team and our results.  Can anyone come up with one?  Or pre the era of windows, a mid season signing?

I know everyone likes the idea of us finding a couple of class players that turn us from hopefuls to contenders but it just doesn't seem likely to me.

We started the season with a lot of new signings and lots of changes to the side due to red cards and injuries.  We had a settled side for a while then got in a rut.  RS changed it around and form is improving.  We have a few players in the team who haven't been playing regularly before this season but with a run of games should only get better.

I'm a big believer in the value of teamwork and building togetherness.  RS seems to be doing that.

Maybe we are better working with what we have got?  New players take time to gel and settle in.  And most likely any signing is either from a lower level and may take time to find their feet or from a higher level but not getting first team games, so lacking match fitness.

Anyway, I digress!  Save your views on this window for other threads.  I want to know who can remember when the window has actually had a positive outcome on the team's fortunes?
Logged Offline
Private Message
cannylad68
December 20, 2017, 8:10am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
Lew Chatterley, Alan Gauden.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 32
1mickylyons
December 20, 2017, 8:20am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,259
Gold Stars: 54
Quoted from LondonMariner43
I've been trying to remember a January window where we have made one or more great signings which have made a real difference to the team and our results.  Can anyone come up with one?  Or pre the era of windows, a mid season signing?

I know everyone likes the idea of us finding a couple of class players that turn us from hopefuls to contenders but it just doesn't seem likely to me.

We started the season with a lot of new signings and lots of changes to the side due to red cards and injuries.  We had a settled side for a while then got in a rut.  RS changed it around and form is improving.  We have a few players in the team who haven't been playing regularly before this season but with a run of games should only get better.

I'm a big believer in the value of teamwork and building togetherness.  RS seems to be doing that.

Maybe we are better working with what we have got?  New players take time to gel and settle in.  And most likely any signing is either from a lower level and may take time to find their feet or from a higher level but not getting first team games, so lacking match fitness.

Anyway, I digress!  Save your views on this window for other threads.  I want to know who can remember when the window has actually had a positive outcome on the team's fortunes?

It`s never going to be an easy task unless you are an elite team signing elite players who can slot straight in. I have thought for a long time we should look at signing a pair of youth players from a Championship or Prem side but only a pair who are likely to play.If Town could get a LB and CM who can pass with a decent engine til the end of the season it would be good business.What we and a lot of sides have done previously is sign players to bolster the squad and it only seems to unsettle our own players (Henderson/Macca).I know if I had a magic wand I would close all transfers Aug 1st til June 1st and operate a loan system where ea club were allowed 3 loans and 1 emergency loan through the season.Personally I would like to do the same thing with Manager`s which would be controversial but highly amusing if you were unaffected.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 32
Abdul19
December 20, 2017, 9:21am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
Palmer and Robertson helped us to our best regular conference season in 2015

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 32
Tommy
December 20, 2017, 9:33am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
Wayne Burnett
Jon Nolan
Andy Todd
Barry Conlon (forget the following season he helped keep us up)
Wayne Henderson

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 32
Abdul19
December 20, 2017, 9:38am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
Quoted from Tommy

Barry Conlon (forget the following season he helped keep us up)

Ooh yeah, Peter Sweeney too.

Jamie Devitt the year after too  (apart from the keeping us up bit)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 32
Maringer
December 20, 2017, 9:47am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Whenever I think of January transfer window signings, it always brings to mind players of the calibre of Junior Mendes (18 appearances, no goals) and Tommy Wright (13 appearances, 1 goal). I suppose you can add players such as Lee Peacock (17 appearances, 2 goals in our relegation season) and Louis Soares (15 appearances, no goals) to the list.

Nope, I'm not expecting us to make any good signings in January!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 32
Barrattstander
December 20, 2017, 9:57am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +867
Gold Stars: 14
Quoted from cannylad68
Lew Chatterley, Alan Gauden.

Were both signed late February 1972, there was no transfer window in those days!
But the point is made, two signings that definitely improved the team and enabled it to push on and win the league.

62 Seasons following the Mariners from the Barrett Stand side.(apart from 2020-21)
[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DL2SD1UW4AAfaOx.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 32
mariner91
December 20, 2017, 10:03am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,245
Gold Stars: 253
Lee Peacock was awful and a hugely disappointing signing. And yet because he did some chest thumping, quite a high percentage of our fans were taken in by him. Think he pulled out of every 50/50 whilst here.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 32
Hagrid
December 20, 2017, 10:29am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,989
Gold Stars: 507
The Shop.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 32
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › January window - when has it worked?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.