1mickylyons
December 18, 2017, 2:09pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
If you want to cheer yourself up go have a butcher`s at the poolie bunker

The grief they gave us last year prior to season kick off about us being there feeder club etc tsk tsk tsk it`s a hard league is the national league boys.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
KingstonMariner
December 18, 2017, 2:48pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I'm sure they must have just been children Micky. Anyone older than 21 would know the natural order of their relationship with us.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 35
Les Brechin
December 18, 2017, 3:10pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,688
Gold Stars: 174
Yeah, I wonder where that couple of Poolie fans who registered on here to wind us up after they won 3-0 here last season are?

Maybe someone should pop onto their forum to say hello.  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 35
Misterton Mariner
December 18, 2017, 3:54pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: +116
Gold Stars: 1
Very well done to Workington Reds for a magnificent Trophy win over  old rivals HARTLEPOOLS UNITED from their league days.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 35
AndyDarloFC
December 18, 2017, 4:59pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +17 / 0
Approval: +1,695
Gold Stars: 33
It's so refreshing from a Darlo POV to see how much they are struggling. Pre-Season they give it they big en about storming the league hahahahah.

Long may this run continue. Craig Harrison IN.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 4 - 35
ginnywings
December 18, 2017, 5:12pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Funny AF reading their forum and seeing posts along the lines of "we should be rolling over every team in this league" and " we should have put 3 or 4 past Workington". Then there's the classic " i didn't think we could get any lower, and then this". Now where have i heard all those before?

Non league is a great leveller. I can see them being there for a long time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 35
Mrs Doyle
December 18, 2017, 6:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Tranmere are finding it hard another one that thought it would be a doddle lol
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 35
crusty ole pie
December 18, 2017, 7:00pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,334
Gold Stars: 62
Sorry to differ but after 6 lonely years in the conference I can't wish it on any established league club. I wish for the days teams like Wrexham Stockport Darlington Hartlepool etc return hopefully at the expense of forest green fleetwood Crawley and the like
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 35
GYinScuntland
December 18, 2017, 7:05pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from crusty ole pie
Sorry to differ but after 6 lonely years in the conference I can't wish it on any established league club. I wish for the days teams like Wrexham Stockport Darlington Hartlepool etc return hopefully at the expense of forest green fleetwood Crawley and the like

I can only agree, four good away days in four good drinking towns.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 35
Fishbone
December 18, 2017, 7:13pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +172
I'm with 'crusty'. Whilst hoping that the braggarts will eat some humble 'old pie', I wouldn't wish non-league on anyone, especially the proper fans that all clubs have at this level. Merry Christmas all.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 35
Les Brechin
December 18, 2017, 7:31pm

I'd wish non-league on those 2 Hartlepool trolls who were winding us up and taking the urine  last season.

Karma is the word I think.

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 35
ginnywings
December 18, 2017, 8:02pm

Recovering Alcoholic
I don't wish ill will on any team particularly, but someone has to get relegated and we've done our stint. Yes, it's hard to see old established clubs like the ones mentioned struggling in the lower reaches but that's what a league system is all about. They were not good enough to stay in the league and the Crawley's and FGR's of this world were good enough to replace them. We may think it goes against the established order, but that's the way it goes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 35
WesternMariner
December 18, 2017, 9:14pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +888
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from ginnywings
I don't wish ill will on any team particularly, but someone has to get relegated and we've done our stint. Yes, it's hard to see old established clubs like the ones mentioned struggling in the lower reaches but that's what a league system is all about. They were not good enough to stay in the league and the Crawley's and FGR's of this world were good enough to replace them. We may think it goes against the established order, but that's the way it goes.

Personally it's the plastic clubs that I resent taking the place of proper teams with history, tradition and fans. Yes Village Green are/were good enough to have been promoted to the league (struggling as I'm glad they are now they're here) but it was literally on the Stale Mince investment and nothing else. Take that away and they're a poncey bunch of over priveliged southern nancies who ought to have stuck to watching rugger.

Fleetwood on the other hand undoubted having been bankrolled are fantastically well run community outfit from an unfashionable working class northern (fishing) town who without having a pop at anyone show what could/can be accomplished by a 'small' club - I'm coming over all nostalgic again!

All men are equal before fish.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 35
GrimRob
December 18, 2017, 9:23pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
The sooner we get 3 up 3 down the better. The Conference is virtually full time, it deserves to be fully connected to the Football League on the basis of another division in all but name.

The sooner FGR get relegated the better. The 72 league places should be for well-supported teams from towns and cities. They earned their place legitimately but they don't have the fanbase and never will to ever survive at this level without the backing they receive.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 13 - 35
GrimRob
December 18, 2017, 9:27pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Misterton Mariner
Very well done to Workington Reds for a magnificent Trophy win over  old rivals HARTLEPOOLS UNITED from their league days.

Sorry to be a nit picker but there hasn't been a team called "HARTLEPOOLS UNITED" since 1968 when they dropped the s!

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 14 - 35
Les Brechin
December 18, 2017, 9:38pm

Quoted from GrimRob

Sorry to be a nit picker but there hasn't been a team called "HARTLEPOOLS UNITED" since 1968 when they dropped the s!

Yeah, when Workington were a league team, hence old rivals from their league days.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 35
December 18, 2017, 10:50pm
Guest User
FGR are averaging 2,500, better than some L2 Clubs  -  is there some jealousy amongst us? Every other post on the fishy lately has been having a pop at our owner and the lack of investment. Good luck to them.
Reply: 16 - 35
lukeo
December 19, 2017, 7:36am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,305
Gold Stars: 135
I don't like Fgr for many reasons and hope they go down, not sure who I'd like to go with them as long as it's not a team that bring a half decent away following or a South West club
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 35
Abdul19
December 19, 2017, 7:40am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,514
Gold Stars: 215
I'm all for equal opportunities. I dislike Hartlepool and FGR.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 35
Maringer
December 19, 2017, 7:42am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,405
Gold Stars: 184
I don't think you can claim FGR aren't a 'proper' club as they were members of the Conference for donkey's years before Vince took them on as his vanity project.

The moneybags aspect of things and recent crappy treatment of opposition fans makes them unlikeable but I prefer to think that's pretty much all down to Vince who strikes me as being an almighty helmet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 35
1mickylyons
December 19, 2017, 7:51am
Special Brew Drinker
FGR whilst much maligned had been in the 5th tier for a long time so the law of averages suggested one year they probably would make League 2. The investment they have had is out of sync to the size of the Club most probably but they seem to think they can build up the fanbase over time? Like mentioned above I would sooner have the traditional Clubs back on the basis it`s still raw how much it hurt being non league for us. Those Pools/Tranmere fans who came on here taking the pish though trying to lord it over us and calling us tinpot I reckon they deserve a good few more years suffering
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 35
December 19, 2017, 7:55am
Guest User
Quoted from Maringer

The moneybags aspect of things and recent crappy treatment of opposition fans makes them unlikeable but I prefer to think that's pretty much all down to Vince who strikes me as being an almighty helmet.

Think I met him at the bar in a pub in Stroud once. I thought he was a helmet, also thought he was a tramp and needed a wash. I'd had a few mind, it may have been a tramp who needed a wash.
Reply: 21 - 35
Jarmo.Is.God
December 19, 2017, 8:19am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from ginnywings
I don't wish ill will on any team particularly, but someone has to get relegated and we've done our stint. Yes, it's hard to see old established clubs like the ones mentioned struggling in the lower reaches but that's what a league system is all about. They were not good enough to stay in the league and the Crawley's and FGR's of this world were good RICH enough to replace them. We may think it goes against the established order, but that's the way it goes.

Got that one for you mate
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 35
ginnywings
December 19, 2017, 9:17am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Got that one for you mate

Many clubs have bought their way to success over the years. It's not a new thing and i think the animosity we have toward FGR is for different reasons. Before we dropped into non league, i knew nothing about it and the teams it contained.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 35
1mickylyons
December 19, 2017, 9:44am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Many clubs have bought their way to success over the years. It's not a new thing and i think the animosity we have toward FGR is for different reasons. Before we dropped into non league, i knew nothing about it and the teams it contained.

I really don`t want FGR on our wavelength for a rival
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 35
jaygy
December 19, 2017, 11:23am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +2,351
Gold Stars: 6
I’m with grimrob on this one, as much as I’d hate to go back down to that level, it only takes a couple more established league clubs to drop down there and the likes of Darlington, York and Stockport to get promoted and you’ve got one hell of a league! I think it should be made a full time league and become the fifth tier of the football league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 35
LongEatonMariner
December 19, 2017, 12:26pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +12 / -6
Approval: +1,037
Every traditional or established club was new once.

For me it’s not the history of a club I have issues with, it’s how welcoming or not they make us, and how they  play their football.  Apart from MK Dons of course.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 35
LongEatonMariner
December 19, 2017, 12:27pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +12 / -6
Approval: +1,037
Every traditional or established club was new once.

For me it’s not the history of a club I have issues with, it’s how welcoming or not they make us, and how they  play their football.  Apart from MK Dons of course.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 35
AndyDarloFC
December 19, 2017, 12:54pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +17 / 0
Approval: +1,695
Quoted from jaygy
I’m with grimrob on this one, as much as I’d hate to go back down to that level, it only takes a couple more established league clubs to drop down there and the likes of Darlington, York and Stockport to get promoted and you’ve got one hell of a league! I think it should be made a full time league and become the fifth tier of the football league.

If only it was that easy to become full-time. Sadly, unless you’ve got a financial backer ploughing millions into the club, you won’t go full-time.

Look at Stockport, crowds in excess of 3k per week and still can’t afford to go FT. Shame to see so many ‘traditional’ clubs fall down the pecking order but that’s football. As I’ve said for the last 5/6 seasons, we will be back somehow. Don’t know when, don’t know how. But we will.

Hopefully pass Hartlepool on their way down.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 28 - 35
KingstonMariner
December 19, 2017, 2:20pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Maringer
I don't think you can claim FGR aren't a 'proper' club as they were members of the Conference for donkey's years before Vince took them on as his vanity project.

Indeed. They had a good few seasons before the pony-tailed one took over. And they are a long-standing club going back to the 19th century.

However, I disagree with Mickey's comment that it might have been a matter of time before they were promoted to the League. They were perennial bottom feeders before Dale and only survived in latter years through other clubs being penalised for falling foul of financial regulations.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 35
LH
December 19, 2017, 8:58pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,462
Gold Stars: 172
There was a few FGR fans in the Trust bar pre kick off the other week. Didn’t speak to them because I’m a football xenophobe but they looked like proper non-league football anoraks. I don’t mean that in a bad way - I bet they’re in absolute dreamland at the minute being in the league playing away at your Ricohs and Meadow Lanes while also competing in the Checkatrade and League Cup.

It’s great for them, just not that girl private Vince.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 35
forza ivano
December 19, 2017, 10:21pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,128
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from jaygy

It's already one helluva league, in that it's incredibly difficult to get out of, as we found out to our cost, despite having a relatively huge budget compared to clubs like Solihull, bath Hayes etc. Look at the teams struggling against relegation with the likes of orient and Torquay in real trouble.

There's no reason why it needs to be a full time league, although as a fifth division it would probably attract more sponsorship and tv money allowing more clubs to go full time. It would be interesting to see a graph of full time clubs in the conference over the years. I'm sure you would see an upwards curve. Thinking about it I'm pretty sure that there was a part time club which survived in division 4 a few years ago

The other point to make is how difficult the leagues below have come,look at conference north, it's stuffed full of former stalwarts of the league and conference. I think I'm right in saying that several of these clubs are full time which is almost unheard of at that level
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 35
psgmariner
December 23, 2017, 9:36am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480

Private Message
Reply: 32 - 35
Les Brechin
December 23, 2017, 5:18pm

Another good result for them today I see.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 35
Madeleymariner
December 23, 2017, 5:38pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,047
Gold Stars: 49
Hoping Wrecsam and Macc come up, bit of a gap forming at the relegation end of the table
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 35
hampshiremariner
December 23, 2017, 9:16pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,051
Gold Stars: 35
Yes, they should have kept quiet. Don't joke about the Conference. Many prouder clubs than Hartlepool have dropped down and it is not easy to get back. Luton have been there and it took them a while to get back. I remember Nick Owen -he was beside himself with grief. The end of the world. I have a friend who has been an Alex fan for 60 years and he's a very worried guy at the moment. Don't mess with the Conference!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 35
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › When times are hard

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.