This thread currently has 6,663 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
LH
December 19, 2017, 8:58pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
There was a few FGR fans in the Trust bar pre kick off the other week. Didn’t speak to them because I’m a football xenophobe but they looked like proper non-league football anoraks. I don’t mean that in a bad way - I bet they’re in absolute dreamland at the minute being in the league playing away at your Ricohs and Meadow Lanes while also competing in the Checkatrade and League Cup.

It’s great for them, just not that girl private Vince.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 35
forza ivano
December 19, 2017, 10:21pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,140
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from jaygy
I’m with grimrob on this one, as much as I’d hate to go back down to that level, it only takes a couple more established league clubs to drop down there and the likes of Darlington, York and Stockport to get promoted and you’ve got one hell of a league! I think it should be made a full time league and become the fifth tier of the football league.

It's already one helluva league, in that it's incredibly difficult to get out of, as we found out to our cost, despite having a relatively huge budget compared to clubs like Solihull, bath Hayes etc. Look at the teams struggling against relegation with the likes of orient and Torquay in real trouble.

There's no reason why it needs to be a full time league, although as a fifth division it would probably attract more sponsorship and tv money allowing more clubs to go full time. It would be interesting to see a graph of full time clubs in the conference over the years. I'm sure you would see an upwards curve. Thinking about it I'm pretty sure that there was a part time club which survived in division 4 a few years ago

The other point to make is how difficult the leagues below have come,look at conference north, it's stuffed full of former stalwarts of the league and conference. I think I'm right in saying that several of these clubs are full time which is almost unheard of at that level
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 35
psgmariner
December 23, 2017, 9:36am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 33

Private Message
Reply: 32 - 35
Les Brechin
December 23, 2017, 5:18pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,645
Gold Stars: 168
Another good result for them today I see.  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 35
Madeleymariner
December 23, 2017, 5:38pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 49
Hoping Wrecsam and Macc come up, bit of a gap forming at the relegation end of the table
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 35
hampshiremariner
December 23, 2017, 9:16pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,005
Gold Stars: 35
Yes, they should have kept quiet. Don't joke about the Conference. Many prouder clubs than Hartlepool have dropped down and it is not easy to get back. Luton have been there and it took them a while to get back. I remember Nick Owen -he was beside himself with grief. The end of the world. I have a friend who has been an Alex fan for 60 years and he's a very worried guy at the moment. Don't mess with the Conference!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 35
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › When times are hard

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.