4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
1mickylyons
December 19, 2017, 7:51am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,382
Gold Stars: 56
FGR whilst much maligned had been in the 5th tier for a long time so the law of averages suggested one year they probably would make League 2. The investment they have had is out of sync to the size of the Club most probably but they seem to think they can build up the fanbase over time? Like mentioned above I would sooner have the traditional Clubs back on the basis it`s still raw how much it hurt being non league for us. Those Pools/Tranmere fans who came on here taking the pish though trying to lord it over us and calling us tinpot I reckon they deserve a good few more years suffering
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 35
December 19, 2017, 7:55am
Guest User
Quoted from Maringer

The moneybags aspect of things and recent crappy treatment of opposition fans makes them unlikeable but I prefer to think that's pretty much all down to Vince who strikes me as being an almighty helmet.

Think I met him at the bar in a pub in Stroud once. I thought he was a helmet, also thought he was a tramp and needed a wash. I'd had a few mind, it may have been a tramp who needed a wash.
Reply: 21 - 35
Jarmo.Is.God
December 19, 2017, 8:19am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from ginnywings
I don't wish ill will on any team particularly, but someone has to get relegated and we've done our stint. Yes, it's hard to see old established clubs like the ones mentioned struggling in the lower reaches but that's what a league system is all about. They were not good enough to stay in the league and the Crawley's and FGR's of this world were good RICH enough to replace them. We may think it goes against the established order, but that's the way it goes.

Got that one for you mate
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 35
ginnywings
December 19, 2017, 9:17am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,111
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Got that one for you mate

Many clubs have bought their way to success over the years. It's not a new thing and i think the animosity we have toward FGR is for different reasons. Before we dropped into non league, i knew nothing about it and the teams it contained.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 35
1mickylyons
December 19, 2017, 9:44am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,382
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from ginnywings

Many clubs have bought their way to success over the years. It's not a new thing and i think the animosity we have toward FGR is for different reasons. Before we dropped into non league, i knew nothing about it and the teams it contained.

I really don`t want FGR on our wavelength for a rival
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 35
jaygy
December 19, 2017, 11:23am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +2,351
Gold Stars: 6
I’m with grimrob on this one, as much as I’d hate to go back down to that level, it only takes a couple more established league clubs to drop down there and the likes of Darlington, York and Stockport to get promoted and you’ve got one hell of a league! I think it should be made a full time league and become the fifth tier of the football league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 35
LongEatonMariner
December 19, 2017, 12:26pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +12 / -6
Approval: +1,037
Gold Stars: 1
Every traditional or established club was new once.

For me it’s not the history of a club I have issues with, it’s how welcoming or not they make us, and how they  play their football.  Apart from MK Dons of course.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 35
LongEatonMariner
December 19, 2017, 12:27pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +12 / -6
Approval: +1,037
Gold Stars: 1
Every traditional or established club was new once.

For me it’s not the history of a club I have issues with, it’s how welcoming or not they make us, and how they  play their football.  Apart from MK Dons of course.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 35
AndyDarloFC
December 19, 2017, 12:54pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +17 / 0
Approval: +1,695
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from jaygy
I’m with grimrob on this one, as much as I’d hate to go back down to that level, it only takes a couple more established league clubs to drop down there and the likes of Darlington, York and Stockport to get promoted and you’ve got one hell of a league! I think it should be made a full time league and become the fifth tier of the football league.

If only it was that easy to become full-time. Sadly, unless you’ve got a financial backer ploughing millions into the club, you won’t go full-time.

Look at Stockport, crowds in excess of 3k per week and still can’t afford to go FT. Shame to see so many ‘traditional’ clubs fall down the pecking order but that’s football. As I’ve said for the last 5/6 seasons, we will be back somehow. Don’t know when, don’t know how. But we will.

Hopefully pass Hartlepool on their way down.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 28 - 35
KingstonMariner
December 19, 2017, 2:20pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Maringer
I don't think you can claim FGR aren't a 'proper' club as they were members of the Conference for donkey's years before Vince took them on as his vanity project.

The moneybags aspect of things and recent crappy treatment of opposition fans makes them unlikeable but I prefer to think that's pretty much all down to Vince who strikes me as being an almighty helmet.

Indeed. They had a good few seasons before the pony-tailed one took over. And they are a long-standing club going back to the 19th century.

However, I disagree with Mickey's comment that it might have been a matter of time before they were promoted to the League. They were perennial bottom feeders before Dale and only survived in latter years through other clubs being penalised for falling foul of financial regulations.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 35
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › When times are hard

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.