supertown
December 17, 2017, 10:30am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,415
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from promotion plaice

Sorry for being a bit thick but I don't get it ?

It’s been removed I think
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 34
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 17, 2017, 11:04am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from supertown

It’s been removed I think

I had a cousin who was twice removed.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 34
HertsGTFC
December 17, 2017, 11:08am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,630
Gold Stars: 217
I think expressing views is fine and that’s what sites like this are for. Fantasies about millionaires coming in, share issues and fan ownership are waring a bit thin TBH. Lots of posts about JF and the boys making way but people need to wake up to the fact that their is nobody waiting to take over.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 34
GrimRob
December 17, 2017, 11:38am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
Just to be clear this thread spawned from a rambling rather confrontational thread and has been split from its parent as it deserves its own topic. I haven't made it very clear, sorry for the confusion, I'll try better next time. The "split" functionality available to mods is not easy to use and does not see daylight much.

The Fishy is a place for everyone to express their views and respect those of others. That hasn't always been happening. When it was written the Fishy was aimed at informing people about what was happening at GTFC. It was pitched at people who might not spend all their life absorbing every available fact about the club but wanted to check out team news, gossip about new signings, find out which pub people were meeting at, read views on recent games and performances, and exchange banter with opposing fans. That hasn't changed. Yes, of course, there will be occasions when the manager and the board were questioned, as at any club, usually after a poor run of results. Someone coming to look for team news and seeing one thread about the game and six about removing the board is going to be confused at best and will probably go elsewhere.

It's not a problem having anti-board threads but they need to be clearly labelled as such so it doesn't conflict with the normal function of the forum, and doesn't drown it out. The exceptions are occasions like the fans forum when clearly there is something specific to talk about.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 13 - 34
rancido
December 17, 2017, 11:46am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,447
Gold Stars: 91
Quoted from GrimRob
Just to be clear this thread spawned from a rambling thread and has been split from its parent as it deserves its own topic. I haven't made it very clear, sorry for the confusion, I'll try better next time.

The Fishy is a place for everyone to express their views and respect those of others, That hasn't always been happening. When it was written the Fishy was aimed at informing people about what was happening at GTFC. It was pitched at people who might not spend all their life absorbing every available fact about the club, but wanted to check out team news, gossip about new signings, find out which pub people were meeting at, read views on recent games and performances, and exchange banter with opposing fans. That hasn't changed. Yes, of course, there will be occasions when the manager and the board were questioned, as at any club, usually after a poor run of results. Someone coming to look for team news and seeing one thread about the game and six about removing the board is going to be confused at best and will probably go elsewhere.

It's not a problem having anti-board threads but they need to be clearly labelled as such so it doesn't conflict with the normal function of the forum, and doesn't drown it out. The exceptions are occasions like the fans forum when clearly there is something specific to talk about.

I agree, Rob. There have been many occasions when a thread has been started on one particular topic and then it quickly changes to an anti JF/Board theme with the usual insults about those who don't share those views.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 34
TheRealJohnLewis
December 17, 2017, 11:59am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I think expressing views is fine and that’s what sites like this are for. Fantasies about millionaires coming in, share issues and fan ownership are waring a bit thin TBH. Lots of posts about JF and the boys making way but people need to wake up to the fact that their is nobody waiting to take over.

So because you think the subject's wearing thin and that it's not very likely to happen, then it shouldn't be discussed? Even though this is a burning issue, in a lot of fans' minds?

If it's not your cup of tea then just stay away from those threads and use other threads to get your post count up.

Private Message
Reply: 15 - 34
KingstonMariner
December 17, 2017, 12:16pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from rancido

I agree, Rob. There have been many occasions when a thread has been started on one particular topic and then it quickly changes to an anti JF/Board theme with the usual insults about those who don't share those views.

Doesn't that just go to show that you can't quash dissent? If Rob closes a thread attacking the board it'll just rear its head somewhere else. Look at the number of times that Rob has tried to draw a line under a subject only for it to be sparked into new life sometimes by the very act of trying to close a subject off.

You either have to accept it'll happen, or have a completely moderated board where every post has to be approved by a moderator before it's published.

Eventually the threads which are critical trail off naturally unless someone in authority does something to spark it off again. Look at last week. It went very quiet until John Fenty made the decision about the SLO and came on here trying to defend it.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 34
HertsGTFC
December 17, 2017, 12:30pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,630
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

So because you think the subject's wearing thin and that it's not very likely to happen, then it shouldn't be discussed? Even though this is a burning issue, in a lot of fans' minds?

If it's not your cup of tea then just stay away from those threads and use other threads to get your post count up.

“Post count” What like most of the posters on this thread you mean? This is what is p1ssing people off about The Fishy the attitude of “ you can only post on this thread if you agree” if you disagree your told you are wrong or not to post?

“Just because you don’t like what people say doesn’t mean they’re wrong” so someone once told me.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 34
KingstonMariner
December 17, 2017, 12:42pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from GrimRob
Just to be clear this thread spawned from a rambling rather confrontational thread and has been split from its parent as it deserves its own topic. I haven't made it very clear, sorry for the confusion, I'll try better next time. The "split" functionality available to mods is not easy to use and does not see daylight much.

The Fishy is a place for everyone to express their views and respect those of others. That hasn't always been happening. When it was written the Fishy was aimed at informing people about what was happening at GTFC. It was pitched at people who might not spend all their life absorbing every available fact about the club but wanted to check out team news, gossip about new signings, find out which pub people were meeting at, read views on recent games and performances, and exchange banter with opposing fans. That hasn't changed. Yes, of course, there will be occasions when the manager and the board were questioned, as at any club, usually after a poor run of results. Someone coming to look for team news and seeing one thread about the game and six about removing the board is going to be confused at best and will probably go elsewhere.

Rob, have you done any analysis of the number of unique visitors when there's a big debate going on here about off-field issues versus when it's quieter on the 'political' front?

The whole question about the purpose(s) of the Fishy is an interesting one. It's so easy to get all of that information these days without having to trawl the net (the T word being off the top of my head the most convenient) you'd have to ask what is unique about the Fishy to make people come here. To my mind it'd be the forum (for all its warts) and the fact that, whilst being moderated, there's a variety of views and comments, but unlike Twitter there's scope for arguments to be developed more fully. It's more like a sometimes raucus, regulars pub where you may not like everyone but it's much preferable to some town centre bar (selling fizzy lager/alcopops) where there's a transient clientele. The debate can be robust sometimes, but it's not like the out-and-out punch ups you sometimes get in the Tweeters Arms. When someone's in trouble the customers rally round one of their own and when the Special Care Baby Unit needs a new incubator the place is a hive of fundraising.

Obviously as landlord you've got to be looking at the big picture and whether the sometimes rowdy behaviour of the regulars puts off other people. On the other hand, you clear the regulars out and you might create another soul-less bar where as soon as the next new thing comes along you're on the way to becoming a new branch of Tesco Express.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 34
friskneymariner
December 17, 2017, 12:49pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,136
Gold Stars: 38
Thesis + antithesis = synthesis.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 34
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Comments on pointless topic

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.