Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 205 Guests

Looking at the table

This thread currently has 5,081 views. Print
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
December 17, 2017, 4:41pm
Guest User
Quoted from KingstonMariner
I think the odds of us getting that striker in January are very slim. Apart from money, there's the issue of bedding in a new key member of the team - you just never know how they'll work out and sometimes they can disrupt a team. It can happen but looking at the history of January signings, there's been more failures than successes.

Off the top of my head I can only think of Robertson who was an undoubted success. Oh and the ginger midfielder who went to Chesterfield after we got promoted (but he had this board divided).

IMO the January window gives you more chance of doing something useless than useful. Proven goalscorers are hard enough to sign anytime,
and in-form strikers at our level aren't going to be released to us without a massive bribe. So realistically we're looking at a youngster from a higher
league club or an in-form guy from a lower league.....both represent a significant level of risk.
Reply: 10 - 17
dapperz fun pub
December 17, 2017, 5:05pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,928
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from devs
It's an average league IMO
Not seen a good team yet

For that reason about 18 of the teams can challenge for a play off spot or better - making it very competitive of not full of quality

I think (sadly) for all of the above reasons Lincoln could go close to getting an automatic spot - expect them to splash the cash (and they have plenty) in January

Our back five is as solid as nay in L2
Osborne will add much needed craft in midfield when he returns

And the obvious... we lack goals

Hope RS can pluck a beauty from Championship/Premiership reserves or U23s...but I am doubtful

Frustrating but at least we all know where the major problem is

I can see 5/6 leaving in January (Clements etc) so would that free up much cash for a transfer blitz on a striker??

Lincoln have the best centre half in the league but not for much longer, their season depends on how quickly the replacement fits in
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 17
grimreaper
December 17, 2017, 5:12pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +297
Quoted from StaffsMariner
We should also have Asanti back who doesn't seem to be pulling up any trees at Solihull. He appears to have been on the bench recently but still getting minutes. Do we have any updates on his fitness?
Lets not forget we paid a fee for this guy so he could be anything.

Asante is fully fit, however Mark Yates brought his own striker in after Mooney left. Thomas from Coventry who has scored 1 goal in 7 games. Asante is being used off the bench. I would fetch him back, new manager has his own player.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 17
lukeo
December 18, 2017, 7:37am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 145
I've said from day one I'd be happy as long as we try to play some sort of football, since Slade has done that we've started to pick up points and crap towards the play offs. As someone has previously stated anyone could still hit those play offs in the top 16/17. For me we just need to start finishing our chances. I don't want loads of players brought in, in January. I remember last time Slade did that and it cost us an automatic spot. If we can bring in a decent striker and maybe a defensive cover I'd he happy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 17
Mariner93er
December 18, 2017, 8:02pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
Now Clarke has settled in, our defence looks really strong. I don't think we'll concede many, but we need to start putting the ball in the net at the other end if we're to be serious play off contenders.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 17
chaos33
December 18, 2017, 8:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 357
Quoted from grimreaper

Asante is fully fit, however Mark Yates brought his own striker in after Mooney left. Thomas from Coventry who has scored 1 goal in 7 games. Asante is being used off the bench. I would fetch him back, new manager has his own player.

Why isn't he using him? What is Asante doing (or not doing) to force his own selection? This may be a bit unfair, but if he can't force his way into a poor conference team, on merit, when fully fit, then what is his value to us as a L2 club with play off aspirations? He's always had a lot to prove, and still has for me, but that looks an even taller order now. I can't honestly see him having a future at GTFC under Slade, rightly or wrongly.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 17
Mariner93er
December 19, 2017, 7:11am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
I'm not sure what he's ever done to warrant fans having so much faith in him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 17
ginnywings
December 19, 2017, 9:11am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Mariner93er
I'm not sure what he's ever done to warrant fans having so much faith in him.

Think it is more hope than faith. Hoping he will be the next Bogle as the similarities are there. He may yet surprise us, or more likely slip into oblivion, who knows?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 17
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Looking at the table

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.