2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
StaffsMariner
December 16, 2017, 6:04pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +428
Gold Stars: 6
There's 4 points between the bottom 8 and 5 points between 4th and 12th. Great to be part of the latter coming up to January.
Logged Offline
Private Message
hampshiremariner
December 16, 2017, 7:12pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,005
Gold Stars: 35
A really good point at Notts today. Touching wood but we seem to have found a bit of consistency. It is a very topsy turvy league and anybody can beat anybody else on their day. For me, I want 50 points as soon as we can and then see where we are.
The Forest Green chairman did a lot of crowing last year and they are finding it tough going in L2. He should keep his trap shut and have more discretion. This is a tough division with knobs on and I think we are doing OK given all the stuff going on off the pitch. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 17
GrimRob
December 16, 2017, 7:19pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
This is the best division to be in because there are twice as many promotion places as relegation place. I really hope we are at least in touch for the rest of the season. The next two games will be a big confidence boost if we keep the unbeaten run going. With January still to come it's the best time since we returned to the league.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 2 - 17
chaos33
December 16, 2017, 7:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Luton acquiring a nice lead and a buffer between themselves and 8th. The league is wide open, with many average teams having something to play for. We've found a bit of form, which is very welcome and we don't look to be in danger of relegation at this point, which is equally welcome.

If we can keep it tight and add two or three quality players in January, we can be in play off contention as we are up against a bunch of decent rivals and not much more. Nobody to fear, and a good point today. On the whole, looking much better than it did in sept/oct.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 17
Tommy
December 16, 2017, 9:49pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
Will be interesting to see what business we do in January.

For me, and it might seem obvious, but any new signings have to be of such quality to warrant going straight into our starting eleven. Not players to fight for a place and pad out the bench.

We still lack that prolific no.9 don't we, really. Tough one as that's what most teams will want (even ones that aren't particularly struggling for goals) but that could turn some of these draws into wins and make the difference come May.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 17
rancido
December 17, 2017, 11:39am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,447
Gold Stars: 91
It's good to get two difficult away fixtures ( Notts County and Luton ) out of the way before the new year and transfer window opens. I think we are well placed at this part of the season and if we can keep this consistency going then a play-off place is a distinct possibility. I had my reservations about RS as manager and certainly made my opinions public on here but he does seem to be turning things around after a poor start to the season. Hopefully for the club he can prove me wrong and make me eat my words. UTM

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 17
GrimRob
December 17, 2017, 12:43pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from rancido
It's good to get two difficult away fixtures ( Notts County and Luton ) out of the way before the new year and transfer window opens. I think we are well placed at this part of the season and if we can keep this consistency going then a play-off place is a distinct possibility. I had my reservations about RS as manager and certainly made my opinions public on here but he does seem to be turning things around after a poor start to the season. Hopefully for the club he can prove me wrong and make me eat my words. UTM

I really didn't think he'd last to Xmas a few weeks ago but it has been a very solid spell of late and I'm 100% behind him at the moment. I'd be more than happy just reaching the play-offs or it even going to the final game whether we get there. It seemed inconceivable a few games ago when I believed we were one of the worst half dozen teams in the division! Everything depends on that new striker, it's been the story of the season so far. If we'd have had Bogle instead of Matt we'd be right up there by now. Although I appreciate Bogles don't come along every transfer window.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 6 - 17
KingstonMariner
December 17, 2017, 12:56pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I think the odds of us getting that striker in January are very slim. Apart from money, there's the issue of bedding in a new key member of the team - you just never know how they'll work out and sometimes they can disrupt a team. It can happen but looking at the history of January signings, there's been more failures than successes.

Off the top of my head I can only think of Robertson who was an undoubted success. Oh and the ginger midfielder who went to Chesterfield after we got promoted (but he had this board divided).

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 17
devs
December 17, 2017, 3:11pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,960
Gold Stars: 30
It's an average league IMO
Not seen a good team yet

For that reason about 18 of the teams can challenge for a play off spot or better - making it very competitive of not full of quality

I think (sadly) for all of the above reasons Lincoln could go close to getting an automatic spot - expect them to splash the cash (and they have plenty) in January

Our back five is as solid as nay in L2
Osborne will add much needed craft in midfield when he returns

And the obvious... we lack goals

Hope RS can pluck a beauty from Championship/Premiership reserves or U23s...but I am doubtful

Frustrating but at least we all know where the major problem is

I can see 5/6 leaving in January (Clements etc) so would that free up much cash for a transfer blitz on a striker??

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 17
StaffsMariner
December 17, 2017, 4:39pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +428
Gold Stars: 6
We should also have Asanti back who doesn't seem to be pulling up any trees at Solihull. He appears to have been on the bench recently but still getting minutes. Do we have any updates on his fitness?
Lets not forget we paid a fee for this guy so he could be anything.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 17
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Looking at the table

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.