1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
lew chaterleys lover
December 7, 2017, 9:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,549
Gold Stars: 231
Not for the first time I have watched the video on you tube of his greatest goals for the Mariners. Sublime, incredible goals from a fantastic player. A lot of them were runs from his own half!

We were in League 2 at the time, so how did we attract him to the club? I remember Reddy saying in an interview that Russell Slade never stopped pestering him till he agreed to come, but the wages must have been good enough; I think he came from Sunderland so we must have offered him a fair wack.

Despite my constant put downs on the non chairman he must have agreed to his wages so credit for that.

I mention this because we need a Michael Reddy type signing. Somebody who will drag this reasonable team into play off contenders. Who is out there that we could attract in January?
Private Message
TAGG
December 7, 2017, 9:48pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,982
Gold Stars: 121
Great player
Very injury prone before he came here if I remember.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 9
moosey_club
December 7, 2017, 9:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from TAGG

Very injury prone before he came here if I remember.

and as he left here unfortunately....however he left some great memories in between.....

a mate of mine tells a story of how he was at the gym and ended up sat in the jacuzzi with Reddy and Rob Jones....he thought nice one i could eavesdrop and get some inside info....

unfortunately between the Irish and Geordie accents he couldnt understand a thing they said !!

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 9
mariner91
December 7, 2017, 10:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,254
Gold Stars: 253
One of my top three all time favourite players. Unfortunately for him he was playing up front with the God-like figure of Lump which somewhat eclipsed him in my eyes. Still, great player and we haven't had a striker as dangerous as him since in my opinion.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 9
RichMariner
December 7, 2017, 10:16pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
It seems anyone with genuine pace and acceleration is always going to be prone to injuries. A real shame he wasn't able to fulfil what I'm sure would've been a very good career.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 4 - 9
LondonMariner43
December 7, 2017, 10:31pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,891
Gold Stars: 64
Not for the first time I have watched the video on you tube of his greatest goals for the Mariners. Sublime, incredible goals from a fantastic player. A lot of them were runs from his own half!

We were in League 2 at the time, so how did we attract him to the club? I remember Reddy saying in an interview that Russell Slade never stopped pestering him till he agreed to come, but the wages must have been good enough; I think he came from Sunderland so we must have offered him a fair wack.

Despite my constant put downs on the non chairman he must have agreed to his wages so credit for that.

I mention this because we need a Michael Reddy type signing. Somebody who will drag this reasonable team into play off contenders. Who is out there that we could attract in January?

We've got Dembele
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 9
Kris2
December 8, 2017, 4:47am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,617
Gold Stars: 136
The main reason we got him is because of the amount of injuries he'd had. Despite the talent, his body just couldn't handle football and kept breaking down. Happens to some top athletes in several sports unfortunately. Shame really, bought some excitement and unpredictability to games,  he could get the ball in his own half and knock it past the defence on the halfway line since he knew he would outrun them. Did have the skill to score from basically anywhere though when he needed to.

If he didn't have the injury problems though he'd never have been in League Two, was far too good for this league.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 9
sam gy
December 8, 2017, 1:01pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,387
Gold Stars: 53
Also you’ve gotta remember we were in the second tier just two seasons before we signed him. We were a big club at our level.

Now we’re coming off the back of being non league for 6 years.....we don’t have the same attraction to younger players.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 9
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 8, 2017, 2:00pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Reddy scored some cracking goals and that for me was his trademark. Reddy wasn’t a goal poacher, he averaged around 1 goal every 3 games while he was here compared to Matt Tees who scored 1 every 2 games in his second spell and almost that many in his first stint at BP. I would compare him more with Stuart Brace.

I do agree though, we could really do with someone like Reddy to sign in January. It would lift the spirits and give the side that bit extra. But it has to be a genuine signing. What we don’t want is another old stager or injury candidate to stand around on the wing or whatever.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 9
Grimsby2012
December 9, 2017, 6:03am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +12 / -8
Approval: -1,466
Gold Stars: 22
I remember watching a game on TV, think it was town vs Cheltenham. The commentators were saying he was far to good for league 2. TRue.
\

I blocked seeing red ticks years ago so go ahead   If I don't reply to you then i didn't read your replies  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 9
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.