Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Comrades, which players were the biggest letdowns?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 250 Guests

Comrades, which players were the biggest letdowns?

This thread currently has 10,933 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
December 6, 2017, 4:57pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
You look at the last 2 years in non league and we made some terrible signings, some which people wont even remember!

Jordan Chapell
Christian Jolley
Rhys Oates
Hamish Watson
Conor Henderson
Evan Horwood
Ryan Jennings
Jordan Stewart
Anthony Straker

Was going to include Pat Hoban, but he did alright, and will be remembered for his strike at goal which led to Arnold scoring

Jolley was a bit of a letdown so I'd argue you have half a claim for him. He's been plying his trade at Conference South team Hampton & Richmond Borough for the past year or so.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 95
Theimperialcoroner
December 6, 2017, 5:33pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,141
Gold Stars: 102
No one has mentioned the player brought in a Joe Waters’ replacement... Mick Hallsall. He was dogshit.

Butler is just an utter utter anus. AB had to back him and he repaid that by totally taking the urine.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 95
December 7, 2017, 10:24am
Guest User
For me, Peter Bore would be as big a letdown as most of the loanees and 'bigged-up' signings mentioned.

I'm old enough to remember Jimmy Gilligan ("Leadboots") though.
I was young then....still had hopes and dreams.
I thought the world was being run by essentially good people - who were misguided rather than malevolent.
I firmly believed Town would win the FA Cup in my lifetime.
And we paid an absolute fortune (!) for this player I'd never heard of - which only added to the mystique.......
.....which sadly didn't last long. We'd signed an expensive carthorse!

Leadboots was probably the first step on my slippery slope from optimistic young man to sad, cynical git.
Was bound to happen sometimes, I suppose...

UTM
Reply: 92 - 95
1mickylyons
December 7, 2017, 10:45am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from 137
For me, Peter Bore would be as big a letdown as most of the loanees and 'bigged-up' signings mentioned.

I'm old enough to remember Jimmy Gilligan ("Leadboots") though.
I was young then....still had hopes and dreams.
I thought the world was being run by essentially good people - who were misguided rather than malevolent.
I firmly believed Town would win the FA Cup in my lifetime.
And we paid an absolute fortune (!) for this player I'd never heard of - which only added to the mystique.......
.....which sadly didn't last long. We'd signed an expensive carthorse!

Leadboots was probably the first step on my slippery slope from optimistic young man to sad, cynical git.
Was bound to happen sometimes, I suppose...

UTM

Bore never fulfilled his potential but played nearly 100 games for Town and looked a very good RB or RWB as they are now.Every other week his attitude was in question we had a good nucleas of young home grown players in him ,North,Taylor,Heggarty,Bennett in that period and it`s sad that only one progressed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 95
Kris2
December 7, 2017, 2:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,628
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Bore never fulfilled his potential but played nearly 100 games for Town and looked a very good RB or RWB as they are now.Every other week his attitude was in question we had a good nucleas of young home grown players in him ,North,Taylor,Heggarty,Bennett in that period and it`s sad that only one progressed.

Bore was kind of a 1 game in 20 player where he'd have maybe 2-3 good games in a season and the rest average or poor. Got sent back from being on loan early for attitude problems, if I recall the rumours, Buckley wasn't a fan of his ego. I think ego was probably his downfall because he had the potential and took being an athlete seriously, ate right, was known to stick to soft drinks in the pub etc. I guess North and Heggarty have done well in other countries though I personally never rated either of them despite them playing a lot of games. Don't think either had the ability to make it in English league football.

Taylor much the same, had pace and could score goals but was too weak on the ball without the skill to beat players. Bennett was the only one who looked like a real player where at 18 he already looked too good for us. We really have struggled to produce good players through our youth team. Most of the time it feels like people want players to be good because they were trained by us rather than they are good so they end up completely overrated. It shows when they leave us and go on to do very little in the English game.
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 95
Abdul19
December 7, 2017, 3:13pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,514
Gold Stars: 215
Bore was a decent right back in the relegation season, but never played there in his last season with us. If I remember rightly, he turned down a deal with us and ended up at Harrogate Town (via a trial with Bournemouth), so that worked out well for him!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 95
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Comrades, which players were the biggest letdowns?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.