ex-merseymariner
December 3, 2017, 3:07pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9

I watched the John Fenty interview with Nathan, available on youtube,

Good of John to do this; made some good points, but there was a point or two I could take issue with.

My favourite quote is here, in case people haven't watched it yet.....;  this bit is around 8/9 mins in

DIRECT QUOTES;
1. 'if its going well on the pitch, nobody really cares about what's going on in the boardroom'
2. 'The football club's PR is done on the field.'

from   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QSU6hh3OtE

I disagree with this. I suspect many Town fans do, as a gross over-simplification, it misses the point.

It hints at who cares about PR if we are winning? Can't we do both; a good team, and a good club???

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
jimgtfc
December 3, 2017, 3:11pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,068
Gold Stars: 44
FFS

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 26
HackneyHaddock
December 3, 2017, 3:13pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
It is a simplification, and the club should be striving to improve in all areas, their PR and media relations included, however...

I can see what he's trying to say though, namely that if we were top of the league, much of this would melt away.  Some of the recent defeats were used by some (I stress "some") as an opportunity to draw a link between on-field and off-field malaise, and I'm sure just anecdotally he feels an increase in pressure when results aren't good, more so than when it's going well.

As with many of the recent issues, it isn't just a simple case of "He's right, stop being vile and vitriolic" or "He's wrong, stop being a happy clapping cheerleader for him.".  Football PR and football opinion in general, operates in shades of grey.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 26
MuddyWaters
December 3, 2017, 5:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from HackneyHaddock
It is a simplification, and the club should be striving to improve in all areas, their PR and media relations included, however...

I can see what he's trying to say though, namely that if we were top of the league, much of this would melt away.  Some of the recent defeats were used by some (I stress "some") as an opportunity to draw a link between on-field and off-field malaise, and I'm sure just anecdotally he feels an increase in pressure when results aren't good, more so than when it's going well.

As with many of the recent issues, it isn't just a simple case of "He's right, stop being vile and vitriolic" or "He's wrong, stop being a happy clapping cheerleader for him.".  Football PR and football opinion in general, operates in shades of grey.

I think it's an attempt to deflect  negativity but he seems to fail to understand the damage done to the club/fan relationship. Sure, if we're doing well onfield it's one less thing for him to worry about but then that causes others to focus on the club's off the field weaknesses which have been more than adequately covered elsewhere - PR being just one.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 26
WesternMariner
December 4, 2017, 9:36pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +893
Gold Stars: 38
I'm waiting for the xmas release in hardback of the new bestseller - John Fenty on Public Relations.

It's on the shelf in the business section at Waterstones next to Gerald Ratner on Building Your Brand, John Gummer on BBQ's for Your Family and David Cameron's Guide to Referenda.

All men are equal before fish.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 26
Marinerz93
December 4, 2017, 9:56pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from WesternMariner
I'm waiting for the xmas release in hardback of the new bestseller - John Fenty on Public Relations.

It's on the shelf in the business section at Waterstones next to Gerald Ratner on Building Your Brand, John Gummer on BBQ's for Your Family and David Cameron's Guide to Referenda.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/lkiPq6x.jpg[/img]

My source tells me that JF is thinking of releasing a Christmas song, I am not going to reveal his or her name.

[youtube]yYTOhFpiBDI[/youtube]

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 26
Mariner_09
December 4, 2017, 10:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
I know someone who’s off to do a degree in PR at University, will get them to send me info and I can relay to JF!

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 26
KingstonMariner
December 4, 2017, 10:10pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Mariner_09
I know someone who’s off to do a degree in PR at University, will get them to send me info and I can relay to JF!

Save your breath mate. It's already been offered.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 26
RichMariner
December 5, 2017, 12:29pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,134
Gold Stars: 209
I worked in a PR team for a large business for 4 years and I am absolutely certain John Fenty doesn't know what PR is.

He should know that in difficult times, PR is your most valuable weapon.

When you're riding a crest of a wave, good PR can help you when bad days inevitably come along.

Now, this next bit might seem harsh but I'm only pointing it out because something like this is on page 1 of the PR manual:

If you're going to make the effort to talk to the fans 'on a level', like one-to-one, great. But don't do it while perched on an expensive snooker table in your lavish home.

Fans cannot associate with that. You've got to make them feel like you're on their level, and not remind them of your different lifestyle. Why couldn't that interview been done behind closed doors at BP, i.e. a neutral venue that we can all associate with?

I don't want to ignite another thread discussing the same topic though.

I'll end with this: Public Relations isn't difficult. About 95% of it is common sense. Choosing the right time to say the right things, to the right people. But you've got to know what those people are thinking and feeling, and understand their concerns.

If you haven't got the inclination to learn that last bit then you'll never make PR work for you.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 8 - 26
1mickylyons
December 5, 2017, 12:39pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from RichMariner
I worked in a PR team for a large business for 4 years and I am absolutely certain John Fenty doesn't know what PR is.

He should know that in difficult times, PR is your most valuable weapon.

When you're riding a crest of a wave, good PR can help you when bad days inevitably come along.

Now, this next bit might seem harsh but I'm only pointing it out because something like this is on page 1 of the PR manual:

If you're going to make the effort to talk to the fans 'on a level', like one-to-one, great. But don't do it while perched on an expensive snooker table in your lavish home.

Fans cannot associate with that. You've got to make them feel like you're on their level, and not remind them of your different lifestyle. Why couldn't that interview been done behind closed doors at BP, i.e. a neutral venue that we can all associate with?

I don't want to ignite another thread discussing the same topic though.

I'll end with this: Public Relations isn't difficult. About 95% of it is common sense. Choosing the right time to say the right things, to the right people. But you've got to know what those people are thinking and feeling, and understand their concerns.

If you haven't got the inclination to learn that last bit then you'll never make PR work for you.

Here we go again........... Fenty invited the lad round to his house to conduct a Q&A over a weekend when he probably wanted to relax at home.I haven`t been to Fenty Towers but I would suggest this is probably a quiet room in the house hence a good place for an interview.
The other points you make regarding PR yes must do better and baffling it hasn`t been addressed but let`s not make out Fenty was trying to flaunt his wealth and who is to say Nathan the interviewer isn`t minted himself?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 26
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › John Fenty quote on PR

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.