Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 181 Guests

Anomaly - The Matt Dean thing

This thread currently has 12,469 views. Print
10 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 All Recommend Thread
December 2, 2017, 7:50am
Guest User
Just an observation in the Matt Dean Curtis Woodhouse saga,

The club reported that Woodhouse arranged to visit Slade and Wilkinson at the training ground in order to get some advice. Advice regarding his own efforts to get into football management from two experienced guys. Particularly Russell Slade who is a friend of Curtis’ as Curtis played for Slade.

But now we have another interview from John Fenty, sat on his rather lovely snooker table. In that interview, Mr Fenty says that because of Deans Tweet, Slade genuinely feared he was getting the sack and was being replaced by Woodhouse,

Why would Slade be in fear of this at all, when he himself was fully aware why Curtis Woodhouse was visiting him at the training ground, under Slades own arrangement???

Very odd don’t you think?
MuddyWaters
December 2, 2017, 8:06am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from 120790

The club reported that Woodhouse arranged to visit Slade and Wilkinson at the training ground in order to get some advice. Advice regarding his own efforts to get into football management from two experienced guys. Particularly Russell Slade who is a friend of Curtis’ as Curtis played for Slade.

But now we have another interview from John Fenty, sat on his rather lovely snooker table. In that interview, Mr Fenty says that because of Deans Tweet, Slade genuinely feared he was getting the sack and was being replaced by Woodhouse,

Why would Slade be in fear of this at all, when he himself was fully aware why Curtis Woodhouse was visiting him at the training ground, under Slades own arrangement???

Thought this had been covered in the 'Meeting with JF thread'?
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 94
Mrs Doyle
December 2, 2017, 8:10am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Let it go mate the truth may be somewhere in the middle don't really know why chose to have a photo taken on his posh snooker table just highlights the them and us thing but hey ho.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 94
H19P1
December 2, 2017, 8:19am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +710
Not another day of negativity can we just move on and accept that certain things need to be kept behind closed doors and we don't need to know everything. Let them get on with it, all this digging will prevent the club from opening up in the future.

Please let's give them a break.

The Nathan thing is a brilliant idea and will be good to do it again and maybe take it in turns and meet the man himself.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 94
Lincoln Mariner 56
December 2, 2017, 9:04am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,684
Gold Stars: 73
Quoted from H19P1
Not another day of negativity can we just move on and accept that certain things need to be kept behind closed doors and we don't need to know everything. Let them get on with it, all this digging will prevent the club from opening up in the future.

Please let's give them a break.

The Nathan thing is a brilliant idea and will be good to do it again and maybe take it in turns and meet the man himself.

Exactly, like Tuesdays forum it is quite right to have debate on what was said and what occurred but we do not require several threads on individual aspects of the forum/interview to keep bashing JF with.

As I have said in other threads JF does not help himself but we do know that over the years he has held individual meetings with a number of posters and critics in an attempt to explain his side of things. The use of certain adjectives recently will have rightly angered those it was directed towards and was not a sensible approach but I guess constant criticism will get to you and maybe to JF more than most.

I think the views of those that are anti JF are well known and well documented on the fishy so maybe a period of calm before we look forward to playing the Village People will help us all focus on supporting  the team.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 94
Garth
December 2, 2017, 9:44am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from 120790

Lets say Curtis was invited to Towns training by RS
(all agreed on that)  MD picked up from his mole that he was there,  and construed 2 plus 3 equals six and jumped in with a tweet to be the first journo on the scene.
Although RS and Wilko knew of Curtis`s mission the players would  not have,  and reading MD`s tweet would naturally have started to speculate on their managers future, which was all RS was saying at the forum not that he was in fear of his own job
I`m not taking sides in any way but just putting my understanding of the situation and showing how additions to what was actually said can sometimes be misleading
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 94
HackneyHaddock
December 2, 2017, 9:50am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
Sometimes sources don't turn out to be right, and a journalist goes too soon with a scoop.  Sometimes, subjects of rumours don't always react calmly and rationally.  Both sides should just accept this version and draw a line under it now.

All this "He said/She said" is just dominating everything (when we should be looking forward to beating VGR to make it 3/3) and I think we all need to just accept that this particular horse has not only been flogged to death, but is now on its way to the glue factory.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 94
RoboCod
December 2, 2017, 10:18am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
I don't know why we're going round in circles with this, there's no need to embellish the story with details that may or may not have happened, regardless of your stance on it. The plain fact is that it was a Tweet that turned out wrong, and  as has been suggested umpteen times it was so easy to dismiss it with a quick statement.

It frustrates the hell out of me that this most common of tasks, carried out by PR departments of businesses every day is seemingly out of the grasp of the board and that they seem to think that adding extra details almost by the day (that honestly do not add up) will vindicate them and pile the blame onto Matt Dean/Radio Humbs.

I really want to feel confident that this club can finally deliver on the new ground but really, being stuck in an endless spiral of claims that almost feel like they're being made up on the hoof about a Tweet from weeks ago is filling me with dread. I'm not too fussed about seeing more of this attempted fan-friendly media (though full marks to Nathan), I want to see a board with focus on the future. This last week has been the polar opposite of that.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 94
HertsGTFC
December 2, 2017, 10:42am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,906
Gold Stars: 228
Sounding a bit like a scratched record now 🤔

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 94
GrimRob
December 2, 2017, 10:46am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,400
Gold Stars: 113
It really doesn't matter. Matt Dean jumped the gun on the story, if there was one at all. Woodhouse isn't coming, he probably was never even considered. There's no doubt all sorts of discussions going on in the background all the time. We don't need to know every minute detail.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 9 - 94
TAGG
December 2, 2017, 12:34pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,958
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from 120790

Could it be that Fenty is full off bull excrement, got a bad memory, gets mixed up very easily or just tells fibs.
Must be one of these.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 94
Marinerz93
December 2, 2017, 12:38pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Quoted from 120790

Whilst I don't always like or agree with Ascend he is right to point out what was said at the forum and what was said on camera doesn't line up. This is called spin and if the club had a professional PR department this whole sorry saga with Matt Dean would never have happened. Fenty is in complete denial about how Towns reply to Matt Deans tweet has hurt not only the club but Fenty's credability yet again.

Woodhouse denied the Tweet by replying on social media the same afternoon to reveal that he won't be taking up a role with the Mariners.

Slade himself said on the clubs site his thoughts on Curtis Woodhouse's visit to the Town training ground on Tuesday.

The Town boss has confirmed that he is not looking for a first team coach - adding he is delighted with his current backroom staff.

For Fenty to say Slade thought his job wasn't safe is plain spin to try and give credibility to releasing such a harsh attack on Matt Dean.

It takes a big man to say sorry, sadly some people just can't get over their ego to say sorry.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 94
TheRealJohnLewis
December 2, 2017, 12:59pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from HackneyHaddock
Sometimes sources don't turn out to be right, and a journalist goes too soon with a scoop.  Sometimes, subjects of rumours don't always react calmly and rationally.  Both sides should just accept this version and draw a line under it now.

All this "He said/She said" is just dominating everything (when we should be looking forward to beating VGR to make it 3/3) and I think we all need to just accept that this particular horse has not only been flogged to death, but is now on its way to the glue factory.

The problem isn't whether MD or JF is correct, but the misinformation/lies that materialised from Nath's video, Fans' forum,  Slade's interview and the original statements which highlight blatant anomalies.  

Private Message
Reply: 12 - 94
rancido
December 2, 2017, 1:15pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,560
Gold Stars: 96
The fact remains that Matt Dean f*c*ed up and tweeted a " fact " that was fake news and JF made a bit of a mess of the reply. End of and we move on.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 94
Cloudy
December 2, 2017, 2:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Just another nail in the coffin of the club/ fan relationship!!
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 94
mimma
December 2, 2017, 3:44pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,566
Gold Stars: 78
Can't we just draw a line under it now?

It's becoming boring now, with some on here just wanting to have a go at Fenty at every opportunity. You've had your say, we know who hates Fenty the most, he's been character assassinated on here by the Fenty haters. We are now going around in endless circles on the same subject, and, quite frankly, the majority on here are fed up with it. For Christ sake let it go!

For all his faults, Fenty is Grimsby through and through. He might be the best at engaging with fans, but, I'd rather have a John Fenty, that an Asslam, Oyeston, Ashley etc.

You get the picture?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 94
Cloudy
December 2, 2017, 3:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from mimma

It's becoming boring now, with some on here just wanting to have a go at Fenty at every opportunity. You've had your say, we know who hates Fenty the most, he's been character assassinated on here by the Fenty haters. We are now going around in endless circles on the same subject, and, quite frankly, the majority on here are fed up with it. For Christ sake let it go!

For all his faults, Fenty is Grimsby through and through. He might be the best at engaging with fans, but, I'd rather have a John Fenty, that an Asslam, Oyeston, Ashley etc.

You get the picture?

Wow!

Not even sure his brothers would say that!
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 94
TAGG
December 2, 2017, 4:26pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from mimma

You get the picture?

No dont draw a line

No its not boring

Fenty is not Town through and through hes Fenty through and through

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 94
HertsGTFC
December 2, 2017, 5:18pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from TAGG

No dont draw a line

No its not boring

Fenty is not Town through and through hes Fenty through and through

So I asked in the week if he walked away tomorrow and you got your wish who would come in? Whats the alternative?  Even if he didn't want his £2 million back taking on Town is a massive challenge.

BTW I think the Matt Dean thing is getting boring and we should draw a line, my opinion not shared by many I'm sure. I now read posts about JF and use the filter of "is that disgruntlement or vendetta" some of the stuff I read makes me wonder.

Journo puts out story - story proves to be incorrect - club officials get p1ssed`off in public - journo "can't name reliable source" - club likes Journo a bit later when they have something to crow about or promote..................... not exactly a new phenomenon is it?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 94
hampshiremariner
December 2, 2017, 9:19pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,056
Gold Stars: 35
From a distance I am alarmed by all this stuff. We don't need it. Time to get behind the players and manager and stop the bickering, otherwise the Conference beckons. You look at all the stuff that went on at Leyton Orient, they were relegated and they could face the same this season if they don't improve. They lost at Solihull today!
Time for all to pull together at Grimsby. A bit pathetic really.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 94
TAGG
December 2, 2017, 9:45pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

So I asked in the week if he walked away tomorrow and you got your wish who would come in? Whats the alternative?  Even if he didn't want his £2 million back taking on Town is a massive challenge.

BTW I think the Matt Dean thing is getting boring and we should draw a line, my opinion not shared by many I'm sure. I now read posts about JF and use the filter of "is that disgruntlement or vendetta" some of the stuff I read makes me wonder.

Journo puts out story - story proves to be incorrect - club officials get p1ssed`off in public - journo "can't name reliable source" - club likes Journo a bit later when they have something to crow about or promote..................... not exactly a new phenomenon is it?

If he walked away go into admin. Other clubs have done it and come out the other side.

Lots of journos make intercourse ups and I know none will apologise but to be ambushed and set upon like he was was way way out of order.

GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 94
RichMariner
December 3, 2017, 12:10am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,131
Gold Stars: 209
There are a whole load of anomalies in everything Fenty does. Nothing stacks up because he only tells us what he chooses to tell us. He has a track record of making mostly bad decisions, and it's because of this that us fans are putting him under the microscope more than ever.

Don't blame us for wanting to know the ins and outs of everything. This is our club; our community; our town. We're proud of it, and we want to take care of it.

We know he makes decisions. But what we never see are the reasons behind those decisions. This is where he needs to get much better.

He appointed Extreme to build our new ground. Fine. But what have they got, or done, that gives him the confidence they'll do a good job? Because, having never built a project like this before, they don't give me, or many other fans, confidence.

What did they say that won him over and made him think, these guys are for us!

I understand he doesn't have the time to give us specifics, but he's got to get much better at explaining why he makes certain decisions without getting angry, defensive or turning it into a personal attack on someone who upset him a while back.

That's all we're asking for. It really isn't that much.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 21 - 94
Cloudy
December 3, 2017, 8:53am
Whiskey Drinker
I don't doubt that JF believes the decisions he makes are 100% correct at the time.

The issue I have is that any question or slightest criticism is taken as a personal attack and he then goes on the offensive. If you operate like that then you are clearly going to drive a wedge and cause splits with the 'customer' base.

I hold out no hope for a change anytime soon.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 94
HertsGTFC
December 3, 2017, 11:03am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from TAGG

If he walked away go into admin. Other clubs have done it and come out the other side.

Lots of journos make intercourse ups and I know none will apologise but to be ambushed and set upon like he was was way way out of order.

The suggestion that to get rid  of JF and we go into administration is possibly the craziest thing I have seen posted on here in a long long time. The last thing we want to do is go into administration, ironically the only person who could send us in that direction is JF as he is the major creditor with his £2 million loans. If any supporter is willing to pay the price of going into administration just to see the back of JF that is very, very bloody minded at best and borders on a vendetta.

Going into administration is not a nice intensive care process where you come out the other side in better health it is a process to sell a business as a going concern only if it can trade it's way out of trouble and I would suggest if we had a £2 million debt to pay it would be curtains. With an administrator there is absolutely zero sentiment there what they do is sell off your assets (players first) to service the debt, then when the players have gone they'll just keep selling things.....anything right down to the toilet seats they think they have value. Remeber you do not make the decisions if those people come in. Administration usually results on liquidation.

You also get a 12 point deduction so effectively you are left with a poor squad as all the best players get sold and your 12 points behind, fast track to the National League that IMHO after all that time trying to get out of it is that a price you would really pay, do you really hate one person that much?

The other alternative is that the club could not find a buyer or there is no way to trade it's way out of trouble and we become a "phoenix club" like Hereford and a few others. That would mean we start right at the foot of the pyramid, not the National League North but the kind of level Grimsby Borough & Cleethorpes Town play at, worth thinking again?    

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 94
Marinerz93
December 3, 2017, 11:58am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Cloudy
I don't doubt that JF believes the decisions he makes are 100% correct at the time.

The issue I have is that any question or slightest criticism is taken as a personal attack and he then goes on the offensive. If you operate like that then you are clearly going to drive a wedge and cause splits with the 'customer' base.

I hold out no hope for a change anytime soon.

Well put, plus bad advice from his yes men.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 94
headingly_mariner
December 3, 2017, 8:02pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,341
Quoted from HertsGTFC

The suggestion that to get rid  of JF and we go into administration is possibly the craziest thing I have seen posted on here in a long long time. The last thing we want to do is go into administration, ironically the only person who could send us in that direction is JF as he is the major creditor with his £2 million loans. If any supporter is willing to pay the price of going into administration just to see the back of JF that is very, very bloody minded at best and borders on a vendetta.

Going into administration is not a nice intensive care process where you come out the other side in better health it is a process to sell a business as a going concern only if it can trade it's way out of trouble and I would suggest if we had a £2 million debt to pay it would be curtains. With an administrator there is absolutely zero sentiment there what they do is sell off your assets (players first) to service the debt, then when the players have gone they'll just keep selling things.....anything right down to the toilet seats they think they have value. Remeber you do not make the decisions if those people come in. Administration usually results on liquidation.

You also get a 12 point deduction so effectively you are left with a poor squad as all the best players get sold and your 12 points behind, fast track to the National League that IMHO after all that time trying to get out of it is that a price you would really pay, do you really hate one person that much?

The other alternative is that the club could not find a buyer or there is no way to trade it's way out of trouble and we become a "phoenix club" like Hereford and a few others. That would mean we start right at the foot of the pyramid, not the National League North but the kind of level Grimsby Borough & Cleethorpes Town play at, worth thinking again?    

You've given all the reasons we won't go into admin. As you say our only debtor wont get his money back if we go into administration.

If you look at the supporter run clubs that have had to start again, they have a a unity around common goals for the club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 94
HertsGTFC
December 3, 2017, 8:12pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from headingly_mariner

You've given all the reasons we won't go into admin. As you say our only debtor wont get his money back if we go into administration.

If you look at the supporter run clubs that have had to start again, they have a a unity around common goals for the club.

Yes they do have unity but the search for unity at the moment should start with mediation and then on to collaboration and not in the hands of an administrator.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 94
headingly_mariner
December 3, 2017, 8:22pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Yes they do have unity but the search for unity at the moment should start with mediation and then on to collaboration and not in the hands of an administrator.  

I agree, but when you look at recent attempts to bring the club and fans closer together we have seen the situation get worse and not better. Look at the fans forum and the 15 minute video, both chances to reach out to the fan base, both opportunities missed through finger pointing, stubbornness and fan blaming.
No damage is irreparable, the problem is that those who could repair it through change don't display the ability or intention to do so.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 94
HertsGTFC
December 3, 2017, 8:33pm

Barley Wine Drinker

I agree, but when you look at recent attempts to bring the club and fans closer together we have seen the situation get worse and not better. Look at the fans forum and the 15 minute video, both chances to reach out to the fan base, both opportunities missed through finger pointing, stubbornness and fan blaming.
No damage is irreparable, the problem is that those who could repair it through change don't display the ability or intention to do so.

I could not agree more TBH, sad state of affairs.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 94
MuddyWaters
December 3, 2017, 8:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker

I know I'm not comparing like with like but, whilst the racing was on this afternoon, someone interviewed Michael O'Leary (Ryanair) and asked him, amongst other things, about the problems at Ryanair. His reply (not word for word) went along the lines of ' Things are getting sorted but sometimes you need to screw up to remind yourself that your only human after all. We got it wrong and humility is a wonderful thing'

There's a lesson there somewhere.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 94
hampshiremariner
December 3, 2017, 9:07pm
Snakebite drinker
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,056
Gold Stars: 35
I find it truly alarming that there are comments on here favouring going into administration and coming out the other side as several clubs have done. That, to me, is asking for even more trouble. So we can be like Hereford, for example? Not only that but when Portsmouth went into admin several ordinary hard working tradesmen who had done work at Fratton Park were cheated out of what they were rightly owed. Immoral and unethical in my book.
All of this is de-stabilisng the club and does no one any good at all. I want a club that is playing at a decent level, at least Championship, so that the threat of non-league football is banished. I don't want to be on a downward slope ever again -it is miserable, even from 220 miles away. Look at York City and Stockport? Once  you are in the mire down there it is tough to get out because there are a lot of ambitious little clubs who will kick you into submission on paddy fields.
Please let's concentrate on the playing side so we can get further up the table and into the play -off positions if possible.
I find it ironic that people used to rubbish players such as Gally. Well, we would all like to be back playing at the level he played in the early 2000s and, relatively speaking, he was a decent player.  Don't drag the club into anymore controversy, please.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 94
MuddyWaters
December 3, 2017, 9:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from hampshiremariner
I find it truly alarming that there are comments on here favouring going into administration and coming out the other side as several clubs have done. That, to me, is asking for even more trouble. So we can be like Hereford, for example? Not only that but when Portsmouth went into admin several ordinary hard working tradesmen who had done work at Fratton Park were cheated out of what they were rightly owed. Immoral and unethical in my book.
All of this is de-stabilisng the club and does no one any good at all. I want a club that is playing at a decent level, at least Championship, so that the threat of non-league football is banished. I don't want to be on a downward slope ever again -it is miserable, even from 220 miles away. Look at York City and Stockport? Once  you are in the mire down there it is tough to get out because there are a lot of ambitious little clubs who will kick you into submission on paddy fields.
Please let's concentrate on the playing side so we can get further up the table and into the play -off positions if possible.
I find it ironic that people used to rubbish players such as Gally. Well, we would all like to be back playing at the level he played in the early 2000s and, relatively speaking, he was a decent player.  Don't drag the club into anymore controversy, please.

Well, according to our leader, our time in the Championship made us expect too much. Maybe he would be happier being the big fish in the little pond?
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 94
headingly_mariner
December 3, 2017, 9:27pm

Vodka Drinker

I don't think anyone would favour going into administration.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 94
dapperz fun pub
December 3, 2017, 9:44pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,908
Gold Stars: 82

ive been on the urine with gally a couple of  times when hes had a game the next day , anyone who says gally didn't take the urine out of  gtfc clearly didn't know him , but having said that I liked him as a player and a bloke ......port and lemon anyone
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 94
lew chaterleys lover
December 3, 2017, 10:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,694
Gold Stars: 236

Everything in life is a gamble. You sound like you want the status quo for ever and a day just in case we ever make a wrong move sometime in the future.

I think what we want is new investment to give us fresh impetus. We cannot attract said investment whilst Fenty is at the club so we are at an impasse. However, something has got to give at some time, unless Mr. Fenty is expecting to get to retirement age still being the non chairman.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 94
Marinerz93
December 3, 2017, 10:36pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from TAGG

What happened to JF's post regarding the quote above, has JF been banned or did he think once, twice and then removed what he said?

Private Message
Reply: 35 - 94
lew chaterleys lover
December 3, 2017, 10:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93

What happened to JF's post regarding the quote above, has JF been banned or did he think once, twice and then removed what he said?

I saw it - it was there for a split second. Had second thoughts obviously but it ended with "suck it up" or something similar!
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 94
lew chaterleys lover
December 3, 2017, 10:40pm
Vodka Drinker

I saw it - it was there for a split second. Had second thoughts obviously but it ended with "suck it up" or something similar!

No that is unfair - it ended with him saying no wonder Russ got wound up or something like that. It was only there a fraction of a second though.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 94
Marinerz93
December 3, 2017, 10:41pm

Barley Wine Drinker

No that is unfair - it ended with him saying no wonder Russ got wound up or something like that. It was only there a fraction of a second though.

It ended with, so leave it

Private Message
Reply: 38 - 94
Getyourfactsright
December 3, 2017, 10:45pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +19 / -26
Approval: +196
Gold Stars: 47

Was meant to be a PM not a post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any chance of giving it a rest now guys and getting behind the team.

In the meantime if you find anyone with a few quid to run the club for you, do send them along.

Private Message
Reply: 39 - 94
lew chaterleys lover
December 3, 2017, 10:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93

It ended with, so leave it

That is it yes. I knew it was insulting. He did mention Sladey but we have to "leave it" apparently.   
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 94
lew chaterleys lover
December 3, 2017, 10:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Getyourfactsright

In the meantime if you find anyone with a few quid to run the club for you, do send them along.

We are behind the team - in my case for 57 years.

The board however, well that is a different story!.
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 94
Marinerz93
December 3, 2017, 10:50pm

Barley Wine Drinker

You mean like Mike Parker or the Mullens  

[img]https://i.imgur.com/jKl55g8.gif[/img]

Private Message
Reply: 42 - 94
Rob_in_Grimsby
December 3, 2017, 10:55pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from Marinerz93

You mean like Mike Parker or the Mullens  

Are you MP or related to MP because every other post you do has his name in it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 94
Marinerz93
December 3, 2017, 11:03pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Rob_in_Grimsby

Are you MP or related to MP because every other post you do has his name in it.

Keep your hands on the wheel and your eyes on the road, and make sure that when you've finished driving John around you give the car a good clean or has he promoted you to be The Clerk of the Fishy, talking notes and recording who said what and when they said it, taking screen shots for later.

Private Message
Reply: 44 - 94
Rob_in_Grimsby
December 3, 2017, 11:10pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93

Keep your hands on the wheel and your eyes on the road, and make sure that when you've finished driving John around you give the car a good clean or has he promoted you to be The Clerk of the Fishy, talking notes and recording who said what and when they said it, taking screen shots for later.

So no denial would make me think you are then,
Dont need to take screenshots as I am sure he looks himself,  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 94
Marinerz93
December 3, 2017, 11:31pm

Barley Wine Drinker

So no denial would make me think you are then,
Dont need to take screenshots as I am sure he looks himself,  

No I am not Mike Parker, and no I am not related to him, are you related to JF or do you just drive or as he added replying to posts for him?

2 jobs at a time you'll be getting £25 pay rise per week.

Private Message
Reply: 46 - 94
Rob_in_Grimsby
December 3, 2017, 11:36pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93

No I am not Mike Parker, and no I am not related to him, are you related to JF or do you just drive or as he added replying to posts for him?

2 jobs at a time you'll be getting £25 pay rise per week.

I am replying to my own posts and not his as far as I am aware, Most on here know who I am as i dont hide behind a keyboard throwing childish insults unlike others,
By the way any idea where I can get a grey chauffeurs hat
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 94
LH
December 3, 2017, 11:44pm

Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,492
Gold Stars: 173

John,

The entire forum wants all footballing aspects of the club to thrive from the nippers up to the first team.

Ignoring that I am a mod: May I ask you as a member of this forum to refrain from posting as you are a VERY divisive figure on here and do not help yourself or your cause by posting.

There will be very few directors of FL clubs who post on independent forums of their club - you need to rise above, accept or ignore criticism as you are supplying ammunition to your critics with every post.
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 94
dapperz fun pub
December 3, 2017, 11:55pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from LH

John,

The entire forum wants all footballing aspects of the club to thrive from the nippers up to the first team.

Ignoring that I am a mod: May I ask you as a member of this forum to refrain from posting as you are a VERY divisive figure on here and do not help yourself or your cause by posting.

There will be very few directors of FL clubs who post on independent forums of their club - you need to rise above, accept or ignore criticism as you are supplying ammunition to your critics with every post.

How old are you LH you sound about ten
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 94
Marinerz93
December 3, 2017, 11:59pm

Barley Wine Drinker

I am replying to my own posts and not his as far as I am aware, Most on here know who I am as i dont hide behind a keyboard throwing childish insults unlike others,
By the way any idea where I can get a grey chauffeurs hat

Quite a lot of people on here know me too and you are unknown to me so you must been one of those keyboard warriors I hear about. The type that is condescending and finger wagging at anyone who criticizes or lampoons JF.

If John hasn't bought you a grey chauffeurs hat, sorry to tell you that you aren't as important as you seem to think!  

Private Message
Reply: 50 - 94
LH
December 4, 2017, 12:05am

Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,492
Gold Stars: 173
From the club’s communist lapdog to ten year old in a few short hours. I’m 28 on the 20th btw. Cards can be sent to the Kremlin - I’ll get them.
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 94
Marinerz93
December 4, 2017, 12:12am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from LH
From the club’s communist lapdog to ten year old in a few short hours. I’m 28 on the 20th btw. Cards can be sent to the Kremlin - I’ll get them.

PARTY round Leon's

[img]https://i.imgur.com/y842a8D.gif[/img]

Private Message
Reply: 52 - 94
dapperz fun pub
December 4, 2017, 12:15am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93

PARTY round Leon's

[img]https://i.imgur.com/y842a8D.gif[/img]

Yeah I'll bet it will be a right laugh

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 94
GYinScuntland
December 4, 2017, 12:23am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from LH

John,

Fcuk me!
Looks like Pete and Mr Fenty both banned.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 94
Marinerz93
December 4, 2017, 12:24am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

Yeah I'll bet it will be a right laugh

I wonder if we can get Steven Marley to be MC, now that we know who he is  

Private Message
Reply: 55 - 94
Rob_in_Grimsby
December 4, 2017, 12:27am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93

Quite a lot of people on here know me too and you are unknown to me so you must been one of those keyboard warriors I hear about. The type that is condescending and finger wagging at anyone who criticizes or lampoons JF.

If John hasn't bought you a grey chauffeurs hat, sorry to tell you that you aren't as important as you seem to think!  

Why do you think I think I am important, I  far as I know I am a nobody who says what I think, Just because it does not fit with you slant on things does not mean I am in fentys pocket,  I am in the PA box every home game hiding behind my keyboard if you want to pop say hello, I wont hold my breath though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 94
Marinerz93
December 4, 2017, 12:47am

Barley Wine Drinker

Why do you think I think I am important, I  far as I know I am a nobody who says what I think, Just because it does not fit with you slant on things does not mean I am in fentys pocket,  I am in the PA box every home game hiding behind my keyboard if you want to pop say hello, I wont hold my breath though.

I recon you could hold your breath for quite some time, I've never been in the PA box before is that were you keep the two cans and piece of string you use for the PA system. Why would I want to say hello to you, of course you are in Fenty's pocket, you drive him around, you work for him and when ever anyone criticizes or lampoons him, you come to his rescue. Do you have your name on the bottom of your shoes?

Eddy has seen the state of the PA box!

[img]https://i.imgur.com/TV6jhuV.gif[/img]

Private Message
Reply: 57 - 94
MuddyWaters
December 4, 2017, 7:13am
Barley Wine Drinker

I think I speak for every single one of us on here when I say we are '100% behind the team'.
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 94
Rob_in_Grimsby
December 4, 2017, 10:56am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93

I recon you could hold your breath for quite some time, I've never been in the PA box before is that were you keep the two cans and piece of string you use for the PA system. Why would I want to say hello to you, of course you are in Fenty's pocket, you drive him around, you work for him and when ever anyone criticizes or lampoons him, you come to his rescue. Do you have your name on the bottom of your shoes?

Eddy has seen the state of the PA box!

[img]https://i.imgur.com/TV6jhuV.gif[/img]

Does not surprise me that you dont want to say hello to a fellow mariner as you would have to come from behind your keyboard, I dont work for JF or for that matter anyone else as I own my own  business ,
You say you dont know me or ever met me but then you try to insult me in every post with some poor excuse for whit.
You say your not a Friend of MP but you also defend him in any post even slightly questioning his dealings with GTFC and by the look of all the insulting post I must have hit a nerve.

Again I have my own opinions on GTFC  and not all of them align with JF's in anyway shape or form but I will defend any friend or relation when things are said that are incorrect or insulting as would your friends if the same was to happen to you.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 94
Marinerz93
December 4, 2017, 11:38am

Barley Wine Drinker

Does not surprise me that you dont want to say hello to a fellow mariner as you would have to come from behind your keyboard, I dont work for JF or for that matter anyone else as I own my own  business ,
You say you dont know me or ever met me but then you try to insult me in every post with some poor excuse for whit.
You say your not a Friend of MP but you also defend him in any post even slightly questioning his dealings with GTFC and by the look of all the insulting post I must have hit a nerve.

Again I have my own opinions on GTFC  and not all of them align with JF's in anyway shape or form but I will defend any friend or relation when things are said that are incorrect or insulting as would your friends if the same was to happen to you.

I've said hello to plenty of Mariners I've met on here, some I choose not to associate with like you and Fenty, what is it with you two wanting people on the fishy to go and see them. Why do you want to meet me, so you can try and bully me, that's the usual ploy of bullies when they feel they are not in charge. If I wanted to meet you, I'd invite you to a pre match pint in the BP Hotel.

It's called banter / lampooning, something you and JF can't take and get all defensive, I've not seen anything funny from you apart from the generic behind keyboard line, as if I wouldn't say to your face that I've said on here. I've got the same laptop I used in Iraq and Afghanistan, I'll bring that with me to the BP hotel and post from there, I'll let you watch if you like.

You have hit a nerve, MP invested £1 million in the space of a year, a person with the sort of businesses knowledge we needed and look what happened over the broken promises and ultimately the shares fiasco, leaving us behind the likes of Dover in terms of finance. You must have a special friendship for you to continually defend him over that. Compare that to Fenty, how much has he invested in how many years he has been leading us down then garden path. You're a yes man, with your name on the bottom of your shoes.

Private Message
Reply: 60 - 94
Rob_in_Grimsby
December 4, 2017, 12:02pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93

I've said hello to plenty of Mariners I've met on here, some I choose not to associate with like you and Fenty, what is it with you two wanting people on the fishy to go and see them. Why do you want to meet me, so you can try and bully me, that's the usual ploy of bullies when they feel they are not in charge. If I wanted to meet you, I'd invite you to a pre match pint in the BP Hotel.

It's called banter / lampooning, something you and JF can't take and get all defensive, I've not seen anything funny from you apart from the generic behind keyboard line, as if I wouldn't say to your face that I've said on here. I've got the same laptop I used in Iraq and Afghanistan, I'll bring that with me to the BP hotel and post from there, I'll let you watch if you like.

You have hit a nerve, MP invested £1 million in the space of a year, a person with the sort of businesses knowledge we needed and look what happened over the broken promises and ultimately the shares fiasco, leaving us behind the likes of Dover in terms of finance. You must have a special friendship for you to continually defend him over that. Compare that to Fenty, how much has he invested in how many years he has been leading us down then garden path. You're a yes man, with your name on the bottom of your shoes.

You said you dont know me so I gave you the opportunity to say hello no more than that, I dont bully anyone so to imply this is an insult in itself and not banter as you put it.
I had the fortune of meeting MP and talk to him on numerous occasions and respect what he did in the past and for GTFC but not all of his decisions at GFTC worked out according to plan by a long shot but thats for another day.

Lastly I have a social disability that  hinders me from seeing  the difference between banter and insults occasionally as well as a few other issues but if you knew me you would know that. Just because I know JF does not make a bad person, My original question was polite and not insulting in anyway as I was curious why you defend MP as much as I defend JF thats all,

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 94
Marinerz93
December 4, 2017, 12:23pm

Barley Wine Drinker

You said you dont know me so I gave you the opportunity to say hello no more than that, I dont bully anyone so to imply this is an insult in itself and not banter as you put it.
I had the fortune of meeting MP and talk to him on numerous occasions and respect what he did in the past and for GTFC but not all of his decisions at GFTC worked out according to plan by a long shot but thats for another day.

Lastly I have a social disability that  hinders me from seeing  the difference between banter and insults occasionally as well as a few other issues but if you knew me you would know that. Just because I know JF does not make a bad person, My original question was polite and not insulting in anyway as I was curious why you defend MP as much as I defend JF thats all,

Just because I said I don't know you means I want to, another dig at MP yet no evidence to back up your remark, someone else has that trait. If you have a social disability were you can't see the difference between banter or insults why are you on social media were those very things are part of the fabric of that media.

You claim not insulting and polite then revel as you claim you have hit a nerve, keep up with yourself.

The social model of disability says that disability is caused by the way society is organised, rather than by a person's impairment or difference. It looks at ways of removing barriers that restrict life choices for disabled people.

A lot of things not lining up from the Fenty camp.

Private Message
Reply: 62 - 94
Rob_in_Grimsby
December 4, 2017, 12:44pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93

Just because I said I don't know you means I want to, another dig at MP yet no evidence to back up your remark, someone else has that trait. If you have a social disability were you can't see the difference between banter or insults why are you on social media were those very things are part of the fabric of that media.

You claim not insulting and polite then revel as you claim you have hit a nerve, keep up with yourself.

The social model of disability says that disability is caused by the way society is organised, rather than by a person's impairment or difference. It looks at ways of removing barriers that restrict life choices for disabled people.

A lot of things not lining up from the Fenty camp.

Just because I am registered as disabled does not mean that I should not use social  media and I dont like the way this thread is going or your attitude to me so I will not answer anymore to your posts.
I always try to be polite and discuss GTFC matters in a constructive way, I apologies to anyone I have offended if my post come across as abrupt sometimes but again that is part of the way I am.
If this is what the fishy finds acceptable then your are probably right in thats its not the place for me.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 94
1mickylyons
December 4, 2017, 12:50pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56

Just because I am registered as disabled does not mean that I should not use social  media and I dont like the way this thread is going or your attitude to me so I will not answer anymore to your posts.
I always try to be polite and discuss GTFC matters in a constructive way, I apologies to anyone I have offended if my post come across as abrupt sometimes but again that is part of the way I am.
If this is what the fishy finds acceptable then your are probably right in thats its not the place for me.

I have read both parties posts and you are mammary for tat Rob.I don`t think either of you have said anything offensive? However it shows it`s slow news day that I have read it all  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 94
RoboCod
December 4, 2017, 12:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 1mickylyons

I have read both parties posts and you are mammary for tat Rob.I don`t think either of you have said anything offensive? However it shows it`s slow news day that I have read it all  

I saw this in my mind when reading that exchange of views...

[img]https://justanothervideogameblogblog.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/pong.gif[/img]

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 94
Marinerz93
December 4, 2017, 1:11pm

Barley Wine Drinker

Being registered disabled is not an excuse you can use after several posts attempting to hit a nerve, you were clearly baiting me, probably trying to get me say something so I'd get banned like Pete.

Like you said, you can't see the difference between banter and insults, and you acknowledge you come across as abrupt, how else am I going to react to your posts, if you are as you claim have a disability, it's not common knowledge. Pete on the other hand is well known for his past issues but that didn't stop your dear friend ousting him to the media as a vile member of the fishy.

The fishy is a great place, for one as Fenty and his inner circle have no power here, although I see a lot of manipulation happening lately. Your posts to me as an example.

Private Message
Reply: 66 - 94
kevikov
December 4, 2017, 2:36pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +835
Gold Stars: 13

Will do.

While we’re on the subject though, whilst you’re out and about on your daily travels, if you happen to bump into someone with any class, will you do the same?
Cheers.

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 94
friskneymariner
December 4, 2017, 2:47pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from LH

John,

Not a Fenty fan,but you poke him with a stick and then moans when he responds.

Cet animal est tres mechant.Quand onl'attaque il se defend.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 94
KingstonMariner
December 4, 2017, 10:02pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Garth

Lets say Curtis was invited to Towns training by RS
(all agreed on that)  MD picked up from his mole that he was there,  and construed 2 plus 3 equals six and jumped in with a tweet to be the first journo on the scene.
Although RS and Wilko knew of Curtis`s mission the players would  not have,  and reading MD`s tweet would naturally have started to speculate on their managers future, which was all RS was saying at the forum not that he was in fear of his own job
I`m not taking sides in any way but just putting my understanding of the situation and showing how additions to what was actually said can sometimes be misleading

It wasn't Russ who said that he was in fear of his job. John said that Russ was in fear of his job in his interview with Nathan. Maybe he meant to say something else and just as soon as he reads this thread I'm sure he'll clarify what he meant to say......oh, he's already read it and posted something?

Oh I see, he posted something about getting behind the team. I bet no one on a football fans MB ever though about getting behind their team. Genius.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 94
rancido
December 5, 2017, 7:34pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from friskneymariner

Not a Fenty fan,but you poke him with a stick and then moans when he responds.

Cet animal est tres mechant.Quand onl'attaque il se defend.

Spot on ! He said he was" tired of being a punch bag" ( G.E.T.) and I can understand that. Nearly every thread on The Fishy inevitably ends up containing posts having a go at him. Then as soon as he tries to defend himself these same posters shout " foul " and are so indignant  because he has dared to reply.
I wish he could find somebody to buy him out and then the same clique would have somebody else to assail.

"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 94
MuddyWaters
December 5, 2017, 7:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from rancido

Spot on ! He said he was" tired of being a punch bag" ( G.E.T.) and I can understand that. Nearly every thread on The Fishy inevitably ends up containing posts having a go at him. Then as soon as he tries to defend himself these same posters shout " foul " and are so indignant  because he has dared to reply.
I wish he could find somebody to buy him out and then the same clique would have somebody else to assail.

Gonna be a bit sterile on here in future. No-one is allowed an opinion that dares to differ from the party line. Have you been in some kind of time warp that takes you back 15 years?
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 94
KingstonMariner
December 5, 2017, 9:35pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from rancido

No one minds him defending himself. The problem people have is the way he does it. He seems to see things in binary terms. My way or you're against me. He seems to miss the point. He flares up.

The classic example on everyone's mind is Deangate (or should it be Woodhousegate?). People agreed with him that the story should be rebutted but he seems incapable or unwilling to recognise he handled it badly. He simply did not listen to the bloke who stood up last Tuesday and pointed out what people were criticising him for.

Oh, and then we have the 'vile' posters remark. Yeah, Pete and Swin can be irritating. Swin seems to be permanently negative. A bit acerbic at times. But that's a world removed from being vile. So by all means respond to them, but stooping to words like 'vile' is a step too far IMO.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 94
chaos33
December 5, 2017, 10:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,927
Gold Stars: 357
Quoted from rancido

Well you can go back to your Slade grudge can't you. You'll be alright.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 94
rancido
December 6, 2017, 10:24am

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Gonna be a bit sterile on here in future. No-one is allowed an opinion that dares to differ from the party line. Have you been in some kind of time warp that takes you back 15 years?

It's nothing to do with party line or voicing an opinion. It's the insults and snide digs that are constantly aimed at him that IMO is uncalled for. I have seen him referred to as The Fuhrer on here , which I think is uncalled for. One poster used to use the expression John Fenty ( Con) which again seemed to drag politics into a football based debate.
As far as a time warp is concerned , why would you say that. I have followed GTFC for a long time ( late 1960's ) and seen many developments at the club both on and off the pitch. The period we are going through is no different from many others in that time. Poor teams, poor managers and unpopular chairmen. JF comes in for a lot of stick , like many other directors, in towns history. The one thing he has done , which most others haven't , is lend the money club to get them through a difficult time. There are some that will say he caused the difficult time, which is a fair comment. But at least he has tried to do something to keep the club going. He says the loans he has made to the club are benign and we can only take him at his word to the validity of that statement. I defy anybody to name one Chairman or Director , prior to JF's involvement in the club, who has been prepared to help the club with his own wealth to the extent that he has.
I am no great fan of JF ( as I have said on many occasions on here ) but at least he tries to keep GTFC going. Maybe I do play " Devils Advocate " on this subject but until someone comes along prepared to buy him out then he his our majority shareholder.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 94
RoboCod
December 6, 2017, 11:14am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from rancido

It's nothing to do with party line or voicing an opinion. It's the insults and snide digs that are constantly aimed at him that IMO is uncalled for. I have seen him referred to as The Fuhrer on here , which I think is uncalled for. One poster used to use the expression John Fenty ( Con) which again seemed to drag politics into a football based debate.
As far as a time warp is concerned , why would you say that. I have followed GTFC for a long time ( late 1960's ) and seen many developments at the club both on and off the pitch. The period we are going through is no different from many others in that time. Poor teams, poor managers and unpopular chairmen. JF comes in for a lot of stick , like many other directors, in towns history. The one thing he has done , which most others haven't , is lend the money club to get them through a difficult time. There are some that will say he caused the difficult time, which is a fair comment. But at least he has tried to do something to keep the club going. He says the loans he has made to the club are benign and we can only take him at his word to the validity of that statement. I defy anybody to name one Chairman or Director , prior to JF's involvement in the club, who has been prepared to help the club with his own wealth to the extent that he has.
I am no great fan of JF ( as I have said on many occasions on here ) but at least he tries to keep GTFC going. Maybe I do play " Devils Advocate " on this subject but until someone comes along prepared to buy him out then he his our majority shareholder.

That's not Devils Advocate it's just another moan about people moaning about things that you disagree with. There's a handful of posters on here who bang on about Fenty and seem ready to have a pop but the majority who have taken exception to the recent events are fair minded posters whose views I always respect, and they are simply responding. Responses are part of a discussion baord and outbursts like these can't go un-discussed.

The last 2-3 weeks have been nightmare-ish for any fan who is concerned for their club, starting with that quite ridiculous and aggressive post, then with a ghastly lack of humility and reason from him and the board at the Radio Humbs forum with a follow up interview from his home in which he started adding on details that didn't ring true and really should have been mentioned in the original forum. All sandwiching an embarrassing attack on Matt Dean which has lost them even more credibility.

Three occasions in barely three weeks, awful stuff and God knows what the situation would be like if some fans didn't try to point out that he's doing it wrong. That's MY gripe with him and the board, please don't lump me in with any revolutionists who maybe just have a long standing grudge or people who want administration by tomorrow.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 94
1mickylyons
December 6, 2017, 12:38pm
Special Brew Drinker
If you look back at JF`s tenure he is getting more stick now than at any time previous that  I can recall which is odd given our relegation amongst other things? That would suggest to me a lot of posters who never normally get involved in Fenty bashing or happy clapping have also taken to thumping the keyboards of late. I hope it goes away and we can get on with football which is far more important and the reason we all ever set foot in BP in the first place. In the event it doesn`t I will continue to thump away furiously at my keyboard in apoleptic rage when things Town related annoy me.That could be down to anything from not hitting the central target in the urinals when I pish in the dark main stand toilets to John Fenty not forking out for Messi`s toenail and some superglue to put on Vernon`s foot. The MD thing handled badly by all parties massive load of hot air about nothing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 94
RichMariner
December 6, 2017, 2:09pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,131
Gold Stars: 209
I think personal attacks and insults are uncalled for, but the majority of the criticism thrown his way is pretty fair in my view.

I think there's a lot he can do to be warmer to the fans. There's a lot he can do to improve the way he deals with certain subjects. There's a hell of a lot he can do to improve the club's PR and his own image.

What needs to happen first - and this is the bit that is the biggest sticking point of all - is for him to accept that he hasn't always got everything right. It'll show he's human. We all make mistakes, so we can identify with that.

Devil's advocate here, but he's been running the club for the last 16 years - and maybe, just maybe, the reason we're still £2m in debt, to his benign loans, is simply a result of his poor decisions.

So yes, credit to him for chucking money into the club to keep it alive. But maybe he's chucking money to save his own mistakes? He's overseen three relegations in that time, and I'm pretty certain you can't attribute all of them to the ITV Digital deal going belly up.

So that's what I mean about him not getting everything right. No one is perfect and most football clubs have faced similar issues and been mismanaged in similar ways.

But we've fallen further than most since Fenty took charge. Which teams are now below us that weren't in 2001? Not many. Stockport and Tranmere at a push. That's it. Everyone else has overtaken us.

When your football club goes through what we've been through over the last 16 years, of course you're going to want answers. Of course you're going to hold the majority shareholder/non-chairman to account.

Of course you're going to wonder, when he makes his next big, crucial decision, whether you can trust it.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 77 - 94
MuddyWaters
December 6, 2017, 2:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from RichMariner
I think personal attacks and insults are uncalled for, but the majority of the criticism thrown his way is pretty fair in my view.

I think there's a lot he can do to be warmer to the fans. There's a lot he can do to improve the way he deals with certain subjects. There's a hell of a lot he can do to improve the club's PR and his own image.

What needs to happen first - and this is the bit that is the biggest sticking point of all - is for him to accept that he hasn't always got everything right. It'll show he's human. We all make mistakes, so we can identify with that.

Devil's advocate here, but he's been running the club for the last 16 years - and maybe, just maybe, the reason we're still £2m in debt, to his benign loans, is simply a result of his poor decisions.

So yes, credit to him for chucking money into the club to keep it alive. But maybe he's chucking money to save his own mistakes? He's overseen three relegations in that time, and I'm pretty certain you can't attribute all of them to the ITV Digital deal going belly up.

So that's what I mean about him not getting everything right. No one is perfect and most football clubs have faced similar issues and been mismanaged in similar ways.

But we've fallen further than most since Fenty took charge. Which teams are now below us that weren't in 2001? Not many. Stockport and Tranmere at a push. That's it. Everyone else has overtaken us.

When your football club goes through what we've been through over the last 16 years, of course you're going to want answers. Of course you're going to hold the majority shareholder/non-chairman to account.

Of course you're going to wonder, when he makes his next big, crucial decision, whether you can trust it.

The bit in bold is the crux of the matter. All I want to see is some humility, a 'yes, I/we got it wrong'. We all make mistakes, it's not a sign of weakness to hold your hands up and apologise, it's often a sign of strength. I mentioned on Sunday that the boss of Ryanair had done an interview accepting the blame for recent problems - I like that, it's out of his system now. No more excuses have to be made, he cocked up and he's moving on.
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 94
Bigdog
December 6, 2017, 2:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from 1mickylyons
If you look back at JF`s tenure he is getting more stick now than at any time previous that  I can recall which is odd given our relegation amongst other things? That would suggest to me a lot of posters who never normally get involved in Fenty bashing or happy clapping have also taken to thumping the keyboards of late. I hope it goes away and we can get on with football which is far more important and the reason we all ever set foot in BP in the first place. In the event it doesn`t I will continue to thump away furiously at my keyboard in apoleptic rage when things Town related annoy me.That could be down to anything from not hitting the central target in the urinals when I pish in the dark main stand toilets to John Fenty not forking out for Messi`s toenail and some superglue to put on Vernon`s foot. The MD thing handled badly by all parties massive load of hot air about nothing.

I disagree about this bit. It's not about nothing, it's massive. It's about competence, delivery and the club being in a safe pair of hands. It was also on the back of a deathly silence about Stevenage which still hasn't had an adequate or coherent answer from the club even well after the event and the bullying claim over the Checkatrade attendance versus Sunderland. Fans are worried about the future direction and governance of the club and I guess many like myself haven't got the stomach for another fifteen years similar to those fifteen years that have just passed. We did have some news regarding the board looking for outside investment but they've exhausted their efforts and the end result is that they've failed. Although honest about his 70% prediction as to whether the new stadium will ever get built, it's hardly a ringing endorsement of confidence from JF after all these years. The board have said that they have gone through their contacts and nothing is forthcoming regarding outside investment and if you couple that with the 30% chance the new stadium never gets built, then for the club to survive, it's got to be 1000% adept at PR to keep its paying public onside and interested. A PR machine that works as effectively when the chips are down on the pitch to bolster support and one that maximises every ounce of goodwill when the playing side is going well. If that does not happen and there's no new stadium or new large benefactor on the horizon, these episodes like Bragate, bullying and Deangate can never happen again. The reiteration of the board regarding blaming the fanbase for pretty much all of the board's shortcomings can never happen again. JF said since the Fan's Forum that there was a lot of positives that he gained from that night as it was an opportunity to get things off his chest and set the record straight. My question is, at what cost to the club? Has the bond between board and fans been brought closer together by blaming the fans for just about everything and still backing up the bullying claim? Has the bond between media outlets and the club been brought closer together with the public treatment of Matt Dean by members of the board and GTFC staff? Seven hundred messages of support for Matt Dean on Twitter, that's real damage, yet no public apology, whether heartfelt or strategic.

I think it's a massive act of goodwill that even after getting absolutely nothing from the club at the Fan's Forum including the two fingers regarding the Operation Promotion money, that fans on here want to brush everything aside and move on. Who in their right mind would practically tell the fans that after raising so much money that it didn't really change things at all? It may be chronologically correct that the money didn't go towards the Bogle signing and more than likely went on the Robinson, Tomlinson and Straker wage costs, but why would anyone think it's a worthwhile and mutually beneficial point to be made? Just for the sake of a bit of personal point scoring to win an argument at that one point in time. What positive impact does that leave on the supporters that put their hands in their pockets and invested their hard earned all for a great cause, a cause that was seemingly never going to be achieved without that help. I doubt that sort of effort will be entertained ever again after being so, at best, grudgingly received. So what does the club gain by that statement?

We've been told that there's no forthcoming investment, the bullish claims about the new stadium are being reigned in, that we're the root cause of all the ills at the club, had to face a ham-fisted attempt by the board of giving us a straightener and then they go merrily about their business as if nothing has happened by stating that their best effort at PR is what happens on the pitch. Hats off to all of you diehards that are sticking with it, You're real fans and have big hearts to suck all of this up and go again. I worry about all of those disappearing floating fans and wonder if the recent Fan's Forum has been the final nail in the head for them not to continue to turn up at Blundell Park in the future. I wonder what the physical cost will be in hard cash for future playing budgets if our new average gate will be considerably less than 4k rather than 5k plus. If that's the case, then the club will need to be particularly adept in attracting the fans back because a receding playing budget certainly won't.

Deangate was so much more than just a lot of hot air and I still think we'll suffer longer term consequences from it, not just what happened that night but by the stance of JF and his board members in the following hours and days after the event. It was retrievable, but that point has now passed. It'll not be just a PR cost, but it will also be able to be measured in pounds, shillings and pence way distant into the future when you calculate the ticket price of lost fans times the number of games they'll be no longer attracted into going to. A bond was there to be mended and it got ripped apart even further and any attempt at short term galvanisation by loyal fans may be broken more easily as recent events won't easily be forgotten as nothing has been fixed..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 94
bluebottle
December 6, 2017, 3:47pm

Snakebite drinker
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +459
Eloquently put Bigdog. There are times when it would be nice to give two ticks to a post.
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 94
KingstonMariner
December 6, 2017, 4:53pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Maybe it's an accumulation of issues/cockups/gaffes that have flipped people over from being benign to being critical of the regime.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 94
KingstonMariner
December 6, 2017, 4:59pm
Meths Drinker
Well put Bigdog. Good PR isn't just about putting a bit of gloss on a statement.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 94
Gaffer58
December 6, 2017, 5:13pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
It's alright Mr Fenty complaining about abuse, and agreed he does get some, but in the Wembley visits there were a couple of times that there was a meet up on the Saturday at Trafalgar Square, Mr Fenty seemed to be the centre of these events which I am sure he enjoyed, I did not go to them so if this description is wrong I apologise now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 94
headingly_mariner
December 6, 2017, 5:48pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

I disagree about this bit. It's not about nothing, it's massive. It's about competence, delivery and the club being in a safe pair of hands. It was also on the back of a deathly silence about Stevenage which still hasn't had an adequate or coherent answer from the club even well after the event and the bullying claim over the Checkatrade attendance versus Sunderland. Fans are worried about the future direction and governance of the club and I guess many like myself haven't got the stomach for another fifteen years similar to those fifteen years that have just passed. We did have some news regarding the board looking for outside investment but they've exhausted their efforts and the end result is that they've failed. Although honest about his 70% prediction as to whether the new stadium will ever get built, it's hardly a ringing endorsement of confidence from JF after all these years. The board have said that they have gone through their contacts and nothing is forthcoming regarding outside investment and if you couple that with the 30% chance the new stadium never gets built, then for the club to survive, it's got to be 1000% adept at PR to keep its paying public onside and interested. A PR machine that works as effectively when the chips are down on the pitch to bolster support and one that maximises every ounce of goodwill when the playing side is going well. If that does not happen and there's no new stadium or new large benefactor on the horizon, these episodes like Bragate, bullying and Deangate can never happen again. The reiteration of the board regarding blaming the fanbase for pretty much all of the board's shortcomings can never happen again. JF said since the Fan's Forum that there was a lot of positives that he gained from that night as it was an opportunity to get things off his chest and set the record straight. My question is, at what cost to the club? Has the bond between board and fans been brought closer together by blaming the fans for just about everything and still backing up the bullying claim? Has the bond between media outlets and the club been brought closer together with the public treatment of Matt Dean by members of the board and GTFC staff? Seven hundred messages of support for Matt Dean on Twitter, that's real damage, yet no public apology, whether heartfelt or strategic.

I think it's a massive act of goodwill that even after getting absolutely nothing from the club at the Fan's Forum including the two fingers regarding the Operation Promotion money, that fans on here want to brush everything aside and move on. Who in their right mind would practically tell the fans that after raising so much money that it didn't really change things at all? It may be chronologically correct that the money didn't go towards the Bogle signing and more than likely went on the Robinson, Tomlinson and Straker wage costs, but why would anyone think it's a worthwhile and mutually beneficial point to be made? Just for the sake of a bit of personal point scoring to win an argument at that one point in time. What positive impact does that leave on the supporters that put their hands in their pockets and invested their hard earned all for a great cause, a cause that was seemingly never going to be achieved without that help. I doubt that sort of effort will be entertained ever again after being so, at best, grudgingly received. So what does the club gain by that statement?

We've been told that there's no forthcoming investment, the bullish claims about the new stadium are being reigned in, that we're the root cause of all the ills at the club, had to face a ham-fisted attempt by the board of giving us a straightener and then they go merrily about their business as if nothing has happened by stating that their best effort at PR is what happens on the pitch. Hats off to all of you diehards that are sticking with it, You're real fans and have big hearts to suck all of this up and go again. I worry about all of those disappearing floating fans and wonder if the recent Fan's Forum has been the final nail in the head for them not to continue to turn up at Blundell Park in the future. I wonder what the physical cost will be in hard cash for future playing budgets if our new average gate will be considerably less than 4k rather than 5k plus. If that's the case, then the club will need to be particularly adept in attracting the fans back because a receding playing budget certainly won't.

Deangate was so much more than just a lot of hot air and I still think we'll suffer longer term consequences from it, not just what happened that night but by the stance of JF and his board members in the following hours and days after the event. It was retrievable, but that point has now passed. It'll not be just a PR cost, but it will also be able to be measured in pounds, shillings and pence way distant into the future when you calculate the ticket price of lost fans times the number of games they'll be no longer attracted into going to. A bond was there to be mended and it got ripped apart even further and any attempt at short term galvanisation by loyal fans may be broken more easily as recent events won't easily be forgotten as nothing has been fixed..

Quality post. To cement what happened at the Fans forum with his answers in the 15 minute interview show a real lack of understanding of the fans concerns and an lack of ability to deal with criticism. If anything the attempts at closing the gap between fans and board have made the divide bigger.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 94
heppy88
December 6, 2017, 8:53pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
The unease aimed towards Fenty and the board has been simmering for a long time. It tends to boil when the team are not performing. When the team are on a reasonable run of form the gaffs are glossed over and dissenters are sent packing. But, this can only happen for so long before the whole pot finally boils over. I feel that time has come. The fact that there has been so much negativity, even though the team have put in a couple of good shifts and found results, demonstrates that the fans in general have simply had enough of the incompetent and at times embarrassing way the club is run. As many posters have already intimated there simply would not be any other business that would accept the total failure of the last 15 years and heads would roll. It’s just one gaff after another, one poor decision after another, it’s a comedy of errors that is no longer funny. Just move on my a rse! There are some big problems at this club and it isn’t the fans! Time for a change people. It might get messy, but in the longer run it WILL be worth it.  UTMM!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 94
MuddyWaters
December 6, 2017, 9:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from heppy88
The unease aimed towards Fenty and the board has been simmering for a long time. It tends to boil when the team are not performing. When the team are on a reasonable run of form the gaffs are glossed over and dissenters are sent packing. But, this can only happen for so long before the whole pot finally boils over. I feel that time has come. The fact that there has been so much negativity, even though the team have put in a couple of good shifts and found results, demonstrates that the fans in general have simply had enough of the incompetent and at times embarrassing way the club is run. As many posters have already intimated there simply would not be any other business that would accept the total failure of the last 15 years and heads would roll. It’s just one gaff after another, one poor decision after another, it’s a comedy of errors that is no longer funny. Just move on my a rse! There are some big problems at this club and it isn’t the fans! Time for a change people. It might get messy, but in the longer run it WILL be worth it.  UTMM!!

It's exemplified in two ways - urging us to get behind the team (we are already Mr Fenty, unless you haven't noticed, we've let no-one down!) and post 39 of this thread (if you know someone with a few quid, send them along . It's amateur, it's embarrassing and you're right, it's no longer funny.
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 94
HertsGTFC
December 7, 2017, 5:22am

Barley Wine Drinker
All of the above is true and credible

BUT (as someone we know used to say on here)

The fact is nobody will take over, if they thought it was viable they would have done it by now. We are L2 and get 3 - 4,000 a week, have a sh1t ground and no money for a new one. The location is relatively remote and the area? Well just drive down afternoon that tells you all you need to know. It’s hardly an attractive investment is it?  

Oh yeah and before you start you have to find £2 million plus the cash required to move things forward.

It’s getting a bit boring pointing at the same board and administration gaffs but don’t worry boys and girls there will be another bucket load to keep us going soon

Biggest off the field issues we have ? Too many people at the club are “lifers” I’m afraid.

I don’t like a lot of it but try not to get to upset as I can’t effect change.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 94
HertsGTFC
December 7, 2017, 5:24am

Barley Wine Drinker
afternoon???? FFS predictive text😡

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 94
1mickylyons
December 7, 2017, 7:51am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

I meant the subject matter was a lot of hot air about nothing. I wasn`t bothered whether or not CW came in as coach and I wasn`t bothered he never.To me it was a nothing story created by MD which in turn brought an OTT response from the Club and carried on to the forum and brought a sour end to that also which leads everyone to think there must have been something more to it? The fans won`t forgive and forget all the stuff that`s gone on BUT at the end of the day most Town fans just want to see their side win games of football above all else.UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 94
HertsGTFC
December 7, 2017, 9:01am

Barley Wine Drinker
Made me laugh how Matt Dean said he got it from a “ reliable source” who could that be I wonder?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 94
rancido
December 7, 2017, 5:27pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Made me laugh how Matt Dean said he got it from a “ reliable source” who could that be I wonder?

Obviously not that reliable as it turned out to be a load of complete boll*xs

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 94
Marinerz93
December 7, 2017, 5:55pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC
All of the above is true and credible

BUT (as someone we know used to say on here)

The fact is nobody will take over, if they thought it was viable they would have done it by now. We are L2 and get 3 - 4,000 a week, have a sh1t ground and no money for a new one. The location is relatively remote and the area? Well just drive down afternoon that tells you all you need to know. It’s hardly an attractive investment is it?  

Oh yeah and before you start you have to find £2 million plus the cash required to move things forward.

It’s getting a bit boring pointing at the same board and administration gaffs but don’t worry boys and girls there will be another bucket load to keep us going soon

Biggest off the field issues we have ? Too many people at the club are “lifers” I’m afraid.

I don’t like a lot of it but try not to get to upset as I can’t effect change.

The biggest fact of all is that no one will pay for £2 million of Fenty's mistakes. Twice someone with money did join the club, how did those two incidents go.

Private Message
Reply: 92 - 94
HertsGTFC
December 7, 2017, 8:32pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93

The biggest fact of all is that no one will pay for £2 million of Fenty's mistakes. Twice someone with money did join the club, how did those two incidents go.

It's not just £2 million though is it? The problem is to take us forward into a new ground and build a squad that can win promotion will take a lot more on top.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 94
Marinerz93
December 7, 2017, 9:45pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

It's not just £2 million though is it? The problem is to take us forward into a new ground and build a squad that can win promotion will take a lot more on top.

Fair comment, but if they didn't have to pay JF £2 million for his mistakes that'd be £2 million to start with  

Private Message
Reply: 94 - 94
10 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Anomaly - The Matt Dean thing

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.