This thread currently has 12,471 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
bluebottle
December 6, 2017, 3:47pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +459
Eloquently put Bigdog. There are times when it would be nice to give two ticks to a post.
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 94
KingstonMariner
December 6, 2017, 4:53pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from 1mickylyons
If you look back at JF`s tenure he is getting more stick now than at any time previous that  I can recall which is odd given our relegation amongst other things? That would suggest to me a lot of posters who never normally get involved in Fenty bashing or happy clapping have also taken to thumping the keyboards of late. I hope it goes away and we can get on with football which is far more important and the reason we all ever set foot in BP in the first place. In the event it doesn`t I will continue to thump away furiously at my keyboard in apoleptic rage when things Town related annoy me.That could be down to anything from not hitting the central target in the urinals when I pish in the dark main stand toilets to John Fenty not forking out for Messi`s toenail and some superglue to put on Vernon`s foot. The MD thing handled badly by all parties massive load of hot air about nothing.

Maybe it's an accumulation of issues/cockups/gaffes that have flipped people over from being benign to being critical of the regime.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 94
KingstonMariner
December 6, 2017, 4:59pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Well put Bigdog. Good PR isn't just about putting a bit of gloss on a statement.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 94
Gaffer58
December 6, 2017, 5:13pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
It's alright Mr Fenty complaining about abuse, and agreed he does get some, but in the Wembley visits there were a couple of times that there was a meet up on the Saturday at Trafalgar Square, Mr Fenty seemed to be the centre of these events which I am sure he enjoyed, I did not go to them so if this description is wrong I apologise now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 94
headingly_mariner
December 6, 2017, 5:48pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Bigdog

I disagree about this bit. It's not about nothing, it's massive. It's about competence, delivery and the club being in a safe pair of hands. It was also on the back of a deathly silence about Stevenage which still hasn't had an adequate or coherent answer from the club even well after the event and the bullying claim over the Checkatrade attendance versus Sunderland. Fans are worried about the future direction and governance of the club and I guess many like myself haven't got the stomach for another fifteen years similar to those fifteen years that have just passed. We did have some news regarding the board looking for outside investment but they've exhausted their efforts and the end result is that they've failed. Although honest about his 70% prediction as to whether the new stadium will ever get built, it's hardly a ringing endorsement of confidence from JF after all these years. The board have said that they have gone through their contacts and nothing is forthcoming regarding outside investment and if you couple that with the 30% chance the new stadium never gets built, then for the club to survive, it's got to be 1000% adept at PR to keep its paying public onside and interested. A PR machine that works as effectively when the chips are down on the pitch to bolster support and one that maximises every ounce of goodwill when the playing side is going well. If that does not happen and there's no new stadium or new large benefactor on the horizon, these episodes like Bragate, bullying and Deangate can never happen again. The reiteration of the board regarding blaming the fanbase for pretty much all of the board's shortcomings can never happen again. JF said since the Fan's Forum that there was a lot of positives that he gained from that night as it was an opportunity to get things off his chest and set the record straight. My question is, at what cost to the club? Has the bond between board and fans been brought closer together by blaming the fans for just about everything and still backing up the bullying claim? Has the bond between media outlets and the club been brought closer together with the public treatment of Matt Dean by members of the board and GTFC staff? Seven hundred messages of support for Matt Dean on Twitter, that's real damage, yet no public apology, whether heartfelt or strategic.

I think it's a massive act of goodwill that even after getting absolutely nothing from the club at the Fan's Forum including the two fingers regarding the Operation Promotion money, that fans on here want to brush everything aside and move on. Who in their right mind would practically tell the fans that after raising so much money that it didn't really change things at all? It may be chronologically correct that the money didn't go towards the Bogle signing and more than likely went on the Robinson, Tomlinson and Straker wage costs, but why would anyone think it's a worthwhile and mutually beneficial point to be made? Just for the sake of a bit of personal point scoring to win an argument at that one point in time. What positive impact does that leave on the supporters that put their hands in their pockets and invested their hard earned all for a great cause, a cause that was seemingly never going to be achieved without that help. I doubt that sort of effort will be entertained ever again after being so, at best, grudgingly received. So what does the club gain by that statement?

We've been told that there's no forthcoming investment, the bullish claims about the new stadium are being reigned in, that we're the root cause of all the ills at the club, had to face a ham-fisted attempt by the board of giving us a straightener and then they go merrily about their business as if nothing has happened by stating that their best effort at PR is what happens on the pitch. Hats off to all of you diehards that are sticking with it, You're real fans and have big hearts to suck all of this up and go again. I worry about all of those disappearing floating fans and wonder if the recent Fan's Forum has been the final nail in the head for them not to continue to turn up at Blundell Park in the future. I wonder what the physical cost will be in hard cash for future playing budgets if our new average gate will be considerably less than 4k rather than 5k plus. If that's the case, then the club will need to be particularly adept in attracting the fans back because a receding playing budget certainly won't.

Deangate was so much more than just a lot of hot air and I still think we'll suffer longer term consequences from it, not just what happened that night but by the stance of JF and his board members in the following hours and days after the event. It was retrievable, but that point has now passed. It'll not be just a PR cost, but it will also be able to be measured in pounds, shillings and pence way distant into the future when you calculate the ticket price of lost fans times the number of games they'll be no longer attracted into going to. A bond was there to be mended and it got ripped apart even further and any attempt at short term galvanisation by loyal fans may be broken more easily as recent events won't easily be forgotten as nothing has been fixed..

Quality post. To cement what happened at the Fans forum with his answers in the 15 minute interview show a real lack of understanding of the fans concerns and an lack of ability to deal with criticism. If anything the attempts at closing the gap between fans and board have made the divide bigger.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 94
heppy88
December 6, 2017, 8:53pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
The unease aimed towards Fenty and the board has been simmering for a long time. It tends to boil when the team are not performing. When the team are on a reasonable run of form the gaffs are glossed over and dissenters are sent packing. But, this can only happen for so long before the whole pot finally boils over. I feel that time has come. The fact that there has been so much negativity, even though the team have put in a couple of good shifts and found results, demonstrates that the fans in general have simply had enough of the incompetent and at times embarrassing way the club is run. As many posters have already intimated there simply would not be any other business that would accept the total failure of the last 15 years and heads would roll. It’s just one gaff after another, one poor decision after another, it’s a comedy of errors that is no longer funny. Just move on my a rse! There are some big problems at this club and it isn’t the fans! Time for a change people. It might get messy, but in the longer run it WILL be worth it.  UTMM!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 94
MuddyWaters
December 6, 2017, 9:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from heppy88
The unease aimed towards Fenty and the board has been simmering for a long time. It tends to boil when the team are not performing. When the team are on a reasonable run of form the gaffs are glossed over and dissenters are sent packing. But, this can only happen for so long before the whole pot finally boils over. I feel that time has come. The fact that there has been so much negativity, even though the team have put in a couple of good shifts and found results, demonstrates that the fans in general have simply had enough of the incompetent and at times embarrassing way the club is run. As many posters have already intimated there simply would not be any other business that would accept the total failure of the last 15 years and heads would roll. It’s just one gaff after another, one poor decision after another, it’s a comedy of errors that is no longer funny. Just move on my a rse! There are some big problems at this club and it isn’t the fans! Time for a change people. It might get messy, but in the longer run it WILL be worth it.  UTMM!!

It's exemplified in two ways - urging us to get behind the team (we are already Mr Fenty, unless you haven't noticed, we've let no-one down!) and post 39 of this thread (if you know someone with a few quid, send them along . It's amateur, it's embarrassing and you're right, it's no longer funny.
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 94
HertsGTFC
December 7, 2017, 5:22am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
All of the above is true and credible

BUT (as someone we know used to say on here)

The fact is nobody will take over, if they thought it was viable they would have done it by now. We are L2 and get 3 - 4,000 a week, have a sh1t ground and no money for a new one. The location is relatively remote and the area? Well just drive down afternoon that tells you all you need to know. It’s hardly an attractive investment is it?  

Oh yeah and before you start you have to find £2 million plus the cash required to move things forward.

It’s getting a bit boring pointing at the same board and administration gaffs but don’t worry boys and girls there will be another bucket load to keep us going soon

Biggest off the field issues we have ? Too many people at the club are “lifers” I’m afraid.

I don’t like a lot of it but try not to get to upset as I can’t effect change.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 94
HertsGTFC
December 7, 2017, 5:24am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
afternoon???? FFS predictive text😡

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 94
1mickylyons
December 7, 2017, 7:51am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Bigdog

I disagree about this bit. It's not about nothing, it's massive. It's about competence, delivery and the club being in a safe pair of hands. It was also on the back of a deathly silence about Stevenage which still hasn't had an adequate or coherent answer from the club even well after the event and the bullying claim over the Checkatrade attendance versus Sunderland. Fans are worried about the future direction and governance of the club and I guess many like myself haven't got the stomach for another fifteen years similar to those fifteen years that have just passed. We did have some news regarding the board looking for outside investment but they've exhausted their efforts and the end result is that they've failed. Although honest about his 70% prediction as to whether the new stadium will ever get built, it's hardly a ringing endorsement of confidence from JF after all these years. The board have said that they have gone through their contacts and nothing is forthcoming regarding outside investment and if you couple that with the 30% chance the new stadium never gets built, then for the club to survive, it's got to be 1000% adept at PR to keep its paying public onside and interested. A PR machine that works as effectively when the chips are down on the pitch to bolster support and one that maximises every ounce of goodwill when the playing side is going well. If that does not happen and there's no new stadium or new large benefactor on the horizon, these episodes like Bragate, bullying and Deangate can never happen again. The reiteration of the board regarding blaming the fanbase for pretty much all of the board's shortcomings can never happen again. JF said since the Fan's Forum that there was a lot of positives that he gained from that night as it was an opportunity to get things off his chest and set the record straight. My question is, at what cost to the club? Has the bond between board and fans been brought closer together by blaming the fans for just about everything and still backing up the bullying claim? Has the bond between media outlets and the club been brought closer together with the public treatment of Matt Dean by members of the board and GTFC staff? Seven hundred messages of support for Matt Dean on Twitter, that's real damage, yet no public apology, whether heartfelt or strategic.

I think it's a massive act of goodwill that even after getting absolutely nothing from the club at the Fan's Forum including the two fingers regarding the Operation Promotion money, that fans on here want to brush everything aside and move on. Who in their right mind would practically tell the fans that after raising so much money that it didn't really change things at all? It may be chronologically correct that the money didn't go towards the Bogle signing and more than likely went on the Robinson, Tomlinson and Straker wage costs, but why would anyone think it's a worthwhile and mutually beneficial point to be made? Just for the sake of a bit of personal point scoring to win an argument at that one point in time. What positive impact does that leave on the supporters that put their hands in their pockets and invested their hard earned all for a great cause, a cause that was seemingly never going to be achieved without that help. I doubt that sort of effort will be entertained ever again after being so, at best, grudgingly received. So what does the club gain by that statement?

We've been told that there's no forthcoming investment, the bullish claims about the new stadium are being reigned in, that we're the root cause of all the ills at the club, had to face a ham-fisted attempt by the board of giving us a straightener and then they go merrily about their business as if nothing has happened by stating that their best effort at PR is what happens on the pitch. Hats off to all of you diehards that are sticking with it, You're real fans and have big hearts to suck all of this up and go again. I worry about all of those disappearing floating fans and wonder if the recent Fan's Forum has been the final nail in the head for them not to continue to turn up at Blundell Park in the future. I wonder what the physical cost will be in hard cash for future playing budgets if our new average gate will be considerably less than 4k rather than 5k plus. If that's the case, then the club will need to be particularly adept in attracting the fans back because a receding playing budget certainly won't.

Deangate was so much more than just a lot of hot air and I still think we'll suffer longer term consequences from it, not just what happened that night but by the stance of JF and his board members in the following hours and days after the event. It was retrievable, but that point has now passed. It'll not be just a PR cost, but it will also be able to be measured in pounds, shillings and pence way distant into the future when you calculate the ticket price of lost fans times the number of games they'll be no longer attracted into going to. A bond was there to be mended and it got ripped apart even further and any attempt at short term galvanisation by loyal fans may be broken more easily as recent events won't easily be forgotten as nothing has been fixed..

I meant the subject matter was a lot of hot air about nothing. I wasn`t bothered whether or not CW came in as coach and I wasn`t bothered he never.To me it was a nothing story created by MD which in turn brought an OTT response from the Club and carried on to the forum and brought a sour end to that also which leads everyone to think there must have been something more to it? The fans won`t forgive and forget all the stuff that`s gone on BUT at the end of the day most Town fans just want to see their side win games of football above all else.UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 94
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Anomaly - The Matt Dean thing

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.