2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
1mickylyons
November 17, 2017, 11:21am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,261
Gold Stars: 54
I don`t know what the current breakdown of shares is % wise BUT clearly JF is the majority shareholder.

If JF turned his loans into shares and gave back the shares the Trust gave him he would still be the majority shareholder BUT the Club would no longer owe that money on loans.

Am I not right in thinking financially he would not be any worse off because anyone wanting to take over the Club would have to buy his shares as opposed to paying him for the loans?

If he did the above would that not send out a positive message without actually costing HIM money, how does it work?
Logged Online
Private Message
grimsby pete
November 17, 2017, 11:24am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Good point Micky maybe somebody could ask that question at the fans forum .

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 12
Rob_in_Grimsby
November 17, 2017, 11:28am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from 1mickylyons
I don`t know what the current breakdown of shares is % wise BUT clearly JF is the majority shareholder.

If JF turned his loans into shares and gave back the shares the Trust gave him he would still be the majority shareholder BUT the Club would no longer owe that money on loans.

Am I not right in thinking financially he would not be any worse off because anyone wanting to take over the Club would have to buy his shares as opposed to paying him for the loans?

If he did the above would that not send out a positive message without actually costing HIM money, how does it work?

If JF was to convert all his loans to shares and someone wanted control of the club then they could just buy shares to the value of JF shares +1 to have the majority shareholding.
They would not have to buy his shares but could instead put the money in to the club however that would still leave JF as the second highest share holder and thus having some say in the running of the club.
I believe Mike Parker still has a considerable amount of shares  in the club but gave away some so he was not the major shareholder.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 12
pizzzza
November 17, 2017, 11:31am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,657
Gold Stars: 135
He has said before that he wants his loans paid back to him if we have some 'football fortune'. If he turned them into shares then they can of course lose value over time. I'd say he is better off keeping them as benign loans (and he knows that too).
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 12
LeeVanCleef
November 17, 2017, 11:31am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +180
John currently owns 42.86% of the shares in issue of GTFC.

If GTFC as a club went down this route JF would not be the "owner" but would have the controlling interest.

Any votes put to the board would then be yes/no based on his vote alone.

The fact he doesn't own more than 50% of the shares is pretty much his only saving grace now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 12
TheRealJohnLewis
November 17, 2017, 11:33am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
I'm just guessing to JF motives, but i think he keeps them as loans as they are held higher than shares if the club was to fold, the loan would have to be paid back first then shares.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 12
Rob_in_Grimsby
November 17, 2017, 11:36am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from LeeVanCleef
John currently owns 42.86% of the shares in issue of GTFC.

If GTFC as a club went down this route JF would not be the "owner" but would have the controlling interest.

Any votes put to the board would then be yes/no based on his vote alone.

The fact he doesn't own more than 50% of the shares is pretty much his only saving grace now.

I am not sure that's correct as at board level they have a rule that is 1 vote per 1 board member and is not based on shares at all.
At an AGM where shareholders vote this a different matter as he would have more shares than all the other share holders combined
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 12
1mickylyons
November 17, 2017, 11:39am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,261
Gold Stars: 54
How likely is it JF will ever see a penny of the loans?

Rob in Grimsby
Why would a new investor acquire additional shares in the Club when they could buy shares from shareholders is the price per share different?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 12
Rob_in_Grimsby
November 17, 2017, 11:42am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from 1mickylyons
How likely is it JF will ever see a penny of the loans?

Rob in Grimsby
Why would a new investor acquire additional shares in the Club when they could buy shares from shareholders is the price per share different?

Maybe they would rather put money in to the club rather than JF pocket. JF shares are valued at the price he is willing to sell them at I suppose so could be cheaper,
I was just pointing out that buying JF is not the only option.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 12
LeeVanCleef
November 17, 2017, 11:48am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +180
Quoted from Rob_in_Grimsby

I am not sure that's correct as at board level they have a rule that is 1 vote per 1 board member and is not based on shares at all.
At an AGM where shareholders vote this a different matter as he would have more shares than all the other share holders combined

You are indeed correct.

I was confusing shareholding votes at AGM's and EGM's over board votes.

There will of course be those that disagree with me, but in my opinion, I believe the worst possible solution would be for JF to have a controlling interest. With his latest post on the fishy today, it's clear the man is a bully (how deliciously ironic), looking to goad the fans for daring to have an opinion of their own.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 12
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Shares

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.