1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
PB
November 16, 2017, 8:38am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / -1
Approval: +256
Gold Stars: 3
For all those who love detail and stats take a look at the excellent BBC summary 'The Price of Football'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41482931

Some great snippets in there. Interesting to see the price of season tickets; I now see why Bradford City get such large crowds!

Logged Offline
Private Message
promotion plaice
November 16, 2017, 8:56am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,040
Gold Stars: 197

Barring the London clubs (different world) Ipswich and Norwich season tickets look really expensive compared to others.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 7
ginnywings
November 16, 2017, 9:20am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Couple of things strike me from that table.

Firstly, if i were a Premier League supporter, i could watch some of the best players on the planet, in the flesh, cheaper than i can watch some maladroit journeyman hack a football to death at BP. This shows that the matchday fan is not really needed in the modern game, which is drowning in TV money. They are just there to provide some atmosphere for Sky/BT armchair fans. Now people generally being the greedy fookers that they are, it would make great business sense for them to somehow wipe out the game at the lower level and convert everyone into armchair viewers to get their football fix. I wonder how they might go about that task? Divide and conquer is a well tried method, aided by chucking around a bit of that cash to draw people in. Step forward Shaun Harvey.

Secondly, Accrington Stanley get less than 2000 through the gate and their season tickets are considerably cheaper than ours. Yet they are consistently at the top of the league and were 1 goal away from playing in League 1. What are they doing right?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 7
Fat Cobra
November 16, 2017, 10:31am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +9 / -28
Approval: -1,479
Quoted from ginnywings
Couple of things strike me from that table.

Firstly, if i were a Premier League supporter, i could watch some of the best players on the planet, in the flesh, cheaper than i can watch some maladroit journeyman hack a football to death at BP. This shows that the matchday fan is not really needed in the modern game, which is drowning in TV money. They are just there to provide some atmosphere for Sky/BT armchair fans. Now people generally being the greedy fookers that they are, it would make great business sense for them to somehow wipe out the game at the lower level and convert everyone into armchair viewers to get their football fix. I wonder how they might go about that task? Divide and conquer is a well tried method, aided by chucking around a bit of that cash to draw people in. Step forward Shaun Harvey.

Secondly, Accrington Stanley get less than 2000 through the gate and their season tickets are considerably cheaper than ours. Yet they are consistently at the top of the league and were 1 goal away from playing in League 1. What are they doing right?

Location.

Oh and a board with ambition.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 7
chaos33
November 16, 2017, 10:31am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,928
Gold Stars: 357
Some good points raised there mate.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 7
GrimRob
November 16, 2017, 10:42am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,401
Gold Stars: 113
The stupid thing is even though Juventus is 25% more than us I'd rather watch Scott Vernon than Gonzalo Higuain.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 5 - 7
1mickylyons
November 16, 2017, 11:09am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from GrimRob
The stupid thing is even though Juventus is 25% more than us I'd rather watch Scott Vernon than Gonzalo Higuain.

Yep stupid im with you
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 7
ginnywings
November 16, 2017, 11:11am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from GrimRob

Hell yes, and that is what the Shaun Harvey's of this world don't get. I don't care, for instance, how much Chelsea fans enjoyed their league title win, but there is no way on earth that their fans felt as good as we did when we beat Forest Green at Wembley. That's what keeps us going.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 7
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The Price of Football

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.