Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Future of Europe after Brexit.
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 208 Guests

Future of Europe after Brexit.

This thread currently has 6,880 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Marinerz93
November 16, 2017, 12:28am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Maringer

The Future of Europe PDF is interesting, not particularly for the defence stuff, but for many of the other issues. First of all, the idea of a European Monetary Fund to help countries during economic crisis is a good (and obvious one). Perhaps they've realised that the punishment of Greece was a really, really bad idea - shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted, admittedly, but it seems they are going the right way.

A bit of an understatement about how the EU treated Greece, Greece was the sacrificial lamb to protect bonds in Portugal, Ireland, Spain and I think Italy. It was done to stop a bank run that would collapse all the major banks in Europe, especially Germany.

[youtube]rGvZil0qWPg[/youtube]

I would recommend you watch the whole clip but the important part about what happened to Greece is at 12:30 onwards.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 60
Maringer
November 16, 2017, 8:49am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,141
Gold Stars: 180
I know what happened with Greece. I've discussed this in the past in other threads - you can't have a currency union without a fiscal union and the ECB treatment of Greece was disgraceful, all to protect the German and French banks. Before the EU referendum, I actually noted that this would be the only thing which would make me think leaving the EU was worthwhile decision.

Ultimately, I took the selfish view that the catastrophic damage to our economy of leaving wasn't a worthwhile exchange to be away from the EU, despite the ECB treatment of Greece. There is some separation between the EU and the Eurozone as well so they aren't exactly the same thing. As I noted earlier, it seems they've realised they ballsed up the situation with Greece (well, some of them have, in any case) so we shouldn't see such an event occurring again - not that it will help a whole generation of Greeks who have been massively impoverished by the whole debacle. Still much better to be inside the tent pissing out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 60
MidnightMariner
November 16, 2017, 3:47pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +570
Gold Stars: 22
KM
YOU CAN BE A RIGHT PRI CK
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 60
grimsby pete
November 16, 2017, 7:33pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from MidnightMariner
KM
YOU CAN BE A RIGHT PRI CK

Why because he does not agree with your view ?

He does not agree with my view but he respects it like I respect he can have a different view to me.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 60
ginnywings
November 17, 2017, 9:24pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
I don't know what is going to happen, but i can tell you what is happening to me, right now. The raw materials for my business are going up almost monthly since we voted for Brexit. Timber sheet materials have probably risen by a good 40% in the last year alone. Another small example is G clamps. I buy a lot of these and for ages they were £1.95 per unit. Bought some about 6 weeks ago-£2.35 per unit. Bought some more last week-£2.50 per unit. That's over 25% rise in less than 2 months and that is just one of the small items i have to buy on a regular basis. I now have 2 choices- suck it up and accept less of a profit margin, or pass on the extra to my customer, who will in turn have to pass it on to her customers or also suck it up. When i complain at the almost monthly increases at my suppliers, all i hear is it's the Brexit effect. Sick of it to be honest.

Still, all the Poles are going home, so that makes everything alright.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 60
grimsby pete
November 17, 2017, 9:35pm

Exile
Ginny if the EU  was just for trade we would be in it forever,

They unelected ones just keep adding to their war chest all the time,

We do not have control over much now but soon we will not have control of our own army,

Things will be difficult for a year or two then things will be a lot better,

Trust me I am not a conservative or a non chairman.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 60
ginnywings
November 17, 2017, 9:59pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from grimsby pete
Ginny if the EU  was just for trade we would be in it forever,

They unelected ones just keep adding to their war chest all the time,

We do not have control over much now but soon we will not have control of our own army,

Things will be difficult for a year or two then things will be a lot better,

Trust me I am not a conservative or a non chairman.

Just like this country then.

Sorry Pete, but leaving Europe was a stupid idea when it was voted for and it is still a stupid idea.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 60
Marinerz93
November 17, 2017, 10:12pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
I don't know what is going to happen, but i can tell you what is happening to me, right now. The raw materials for my business are going up almost monthly since we voted for Brexit. Timber sheet materials have probably risen by a good 40% in the last year alone. Another small example is G clamps. I buy a lot of these and for ages they were £1.95 per unit. Bought some about 6 weeks ago-£2.35 per unit. Bought some more last week-£2.50 per unit. That's over 25% rise in less than 2 months and that is just one of the small items i have to buy on a regular basis. I now have 2 choices- suck it up and accept less of a profit margin, or pass on the extra to my customer, who will in turn have to pass it on to her customers or also suck it up. When i complain at the almost monthly increases at my suppliers, all i hear is it's the Brexit effect. Sick of it to be honest.

Still, all the Poles are going home, so that makes everything alright.

I appreciate and respect your views, however when the EU started fishing quotas and allowing other countries fishing our waters I and hundreds like me lost our jobs on the fish docks as quotas where cut time and time again, last in first out. I know several fish merchants who went bust and I know of two who killed themselves, one being a lad dads I used to talk to whilst waiting to pick up the bought kits for my gaffer. I think his name was Pope. When I worked on the fish docks in the 80's we still had trawlers, now we have one small inshore fishing boat I think.

[youtube]JPKO3O4y4Mo[/youtube]

Also EU money has been used to move companies / factories to other countries meaning UK job losses.

Also with the uncontrolled influx of tradesman, I know many different trades have been undercut and lost work or lost earnings due to lack of work.

On the flip side if we get a trade deal with other countries some of the materials you mentioned may end up being a lot cheaper, I know not helpful now.

If more foreigners do go back then that will surely mean that you aren't being undercut and become a lot busier.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 60
Marinerz93
November 17, 2017, 10:13pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
I know what happened with Greece. I've discussed this in the past in other threads - you can't have a currency union without a fiscal union and the ECB treatment of Greece was disgraceful, all to protect the German and French banks. Before the EU referendum, I actually noted that this would be the only thing which would make me think leaving the EU was worthwhile decision.

Ultimately, I took the selfish view that the catastrophic damage to our economy of leaving wasn't a worthwhile exchange to be away from the EU, despite the ECB treatment of Greece. There is some separation between the EU and the Eurozone as well so they aren't exactly the same thing. As I noted earlier, it seems they've realised they ballsed up the situation with Greece (well, some of them have, in any case) so we shouldn't see such an event occurring again - not that it will help a whole generation of Greeks who have been massively impoverished by the whole debacle. Still much better to be inside the tent pissing out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMQ887VNrIc&index=22&list=WL

Private Message
Reply: 28 - 60
grimsby pete
November 17, 2017, 10:17pm

Exile
Quoted from ginnywings

Just like this country then.

Sorry Pete, but leaving Europe was a stupid idea when it was voted for and it is still a stupid idea.

Its not like this country at all Ginny if we do not like the government we can vote them out/

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 60
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Future of Europe after Brexit.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.