GrimExile
November 13, 2017, 7:37pm
Live in Bucks born and bred in Grimsby.
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,280
Gold Stars: 36
I met Matt at the one of the Trust functions. I told him that he was my all time hero and that my bank account password was matttees. Without blinking an eye he said, “Can I have your account number and Sort Code”!! A true gentleman and as other have already said a Town legend. I agree with so many others that have suggested the Trust get involved to see if there is anything the family needs. And whilst I’m here how about the same regarding Chris Nichol. We’re all part of the GTFC family. My thoughts are with both families.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 75
1mickylyons
November 14, 2017, 7:04am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,260
Gold Stars: 54
I got to watch this on the excellent BBC I player last night and have to say since he has been presenting that`s the first time Shearer has really impressed me.Moving programme and being a fan of a Club who had 2 ex players featured I hope we can do something to raise money and awareness for those affected.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 75
friskneymariner
November 14, 2017, 11:57am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,136
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from GrimExile
I met Matt at the one of the Trust functions. I told him that he was my all time hero and that my bank account password was matttees. Without blinking an eye he said, “Can I have your account number and Sort Code”!! A true gentleman and as other have already said a Town legend. I agree with so many others that have suggested the Trust get involved to see if there is anything the family needs. And whilst I’m here how about the same regarding Chris Nichol. We’re all part of the GTFC family. My thoughts are with both families.

My old bank account with a Grimsby bank was Matt Tees ,the cashier said she never heard of him,needless to say I remedied that shortfall in her knowledge.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 75
KingstonMariner
November 14, 2017, 1:20pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Years ago I was waiting at my daughter's primary school gate in Kingston, in my CA Matt Tees-shirt thinking no one in that middle class area of a SW London suburb would have a clue. Then a mature Scots guy turned to me and said 'how the hell do you know about him?'

Actually thinking about it, maybe they should relaunch the Matt Tees-shirt in some sort of tie in with Swin's suggestion/Sporting Memories thing.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 75
cannylad68
November 14, 2017, 6:46pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
What about a statue of Sir Matt at Blundell Park.
Other clubs have done this, Bobby Moore, Bobby Robson etc.
Funding to be raised by the supporters and the Trust.
It wouldn't cost JF a penny.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 75
cannylad68
November 14, 2017, 7:14pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
Forgot to mention, I have a friend who lived in Luton at the time, and he tells me Sir Matt was just as popular as he was at the other clubs.
If my memory is correct, the photo of Sir Matt in his book, hanging in the air, is in a Luton Town shirt.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 75
Ipswin
November 14, 2017, 8:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from cannylad68
What about a statue of Sir Matt at Blundell Park.
Other clubs have done this, Bobby Moore, Bobby Robson etc.
Funding to be raised by the supporters and the Trust.
It wouldn't cost JF a penny.

C'mon guys its all getting a bit out of hand here.

I merely suggested that the club should, via the Trust or an old team mate of Sir Matt's, simply let Matt's wife and family know that help in any way will be forthcoming SHOULD THEY NEED IT otherwise just to let them know that they and the great man himself has not been forgotten and is in our thoughts.

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 75
Teesknees
November 14, 2017, 8:37pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,596
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from Ipswin

C'mon guys its all getting a bit out of hand here.

I merely suggested that the club should, via the Trust or an old team mate of Sir Matt's, simply let Matt's wife and family know that help in any way will be forthcoming SHOULD THEY NEED IT otherwise just to let them know that they and the great man himself has not been forgotten and is in our thoughts.

Other people have other ideas, what's wrong with that!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 75
Cambs Mariner
November 14, 2017, 8:45pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +1,233
Why not just name one of the stands in his honour at Blundell Park and then name one of the stands at the new stadium after him, if it ever gets built?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 75
Ipswin
November 14, 2017, 9:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Teesknees

Other people have other ideas, what's wrong with that!

For fuckssake! It may have escaped your notice that all the ex-players etc he mentioned who have statues are dead - enough said?

Statues, stands, fund raising its all over the top and not what was intended when this subject was raised. Showing, and (only) IF requested by Matt's family, lending support, will I am sure count for a lot.

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 75
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Matt Tees

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.