November 10, 2017, 8:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from grimsby pete

Very sad Swin can the Trust organise a collection for his care,

He deserves that from us at least for all the good memories he has given us.

Difficult to pick out one ex-player suffering difficult times but if anyone deserves it Matt and May certainly do (A contribution from the Trust would be a better use of any cash than giving it to Fenty!)

That said it is a delicate one - not to insult or damage pride, but I would certainly like a Trust rep to ask if there is any area (not necessarily money) where Mary could do with help. Just a simple enquiry by the Trust representing all Grimsby Town fans, if only to show we care, would I am sure mean a lot.

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 75
MarinerMart
November 10, 2017, 8:12pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +209
Had the pleasure of seeing him play. Best striker I've seen at GTFC.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 75
crusty ole pie
November 10, 2017, 11:02pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,327
Gold Stars: 66
Quoted from Ipswin

Difficult to pick out one ex-player suffering difficult times but if anyone deserves it Matt and May certainly do (A contribution from the Trust would be a better use of any cash than giving it to Fenty!)

That said it is a delicate one - not to insult or damage pride, but I would certainly like a Trust rep to ask if there is any area (not necessarily money) where Mary could do with help. Just a simple enquiry by the Trust representing all Grimsby Town fans, if only to show we care, would I am sure mean a lot.

Totally agree  my childhood hero think it would be great gesture
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 75
pizzzza
November 10, 2017, 11:33pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from Ipswin

Absolutely, hopefully someone from the Trust can make this happen.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 75
Mrs Doyle
November 11, 2017, 5:02am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
I saw this and there may be a link there boxers to get a pounding to the head and a case as been put forward for that as well but without heading the game would be a sad spectacle. Sorry for Shearer and especially sir Matt he was my all time favorite town player and a really nice guy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 75
arryarryarry
November 11, 2017, 5:35am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,039
Gold Stars: 116
I saw Matt Tees score in my first ever match at BP, Tuesday 7th September 1966, we beat Scunthorpe 7-1.

I saw him return to BP on the 7th November 1970 against Cambridge United with over 3,000 fans added to the gate from the previous match, we won 2-0 with Matt scoring one of them.

I watched him get that hat trick in the first game of the 71/72 season beating Scunthorpe again, this time 4-1 and saw just about every goal he scored after that home and away including one in that famous last match of the season against Exeter.

I have seen what I would class as some really great players turning out in the black & white stripes over the past 51 years but when I am asked who was my all time favourite player, the answer every time is Matt Tees.

My thoughts are with Matt and his family.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 75
A Brace Of Tees
November 11, 2017, 8:35am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +701
Gold Stars: 3
Agree with all of this. One of my earliest heroes whose heading ability was almost supernatural.

And remarkably he looked nothing like a professional footballer! Love this extract from McMenemy's book:

"I took a deep breath and entered the dressing room. I thought a sea mist had swept in. It wasn't unusual on the coast but in this case I looked toward the corner of the dressing room and saw one of my new players smoking a pipe. It turned out the player was Matt Tees. He was a Scot, a scrawny, skinny sort, a pipe-smoker who looked like a puff of wind would blow him over."

I know the word legend gets overused these days, but this man will forever be in our hearts - and deservedly so.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 75
Mallyner
November 11, 2017, 8:58am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
Very sad news indeed.

I remember being in the Osmond stand that amazing night, when he rose like a leaping gazelle to score against Exeter.

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 75
tarka
November 11, 2017, 9:23am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +890
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from Ipswin

I would wholeheartedly agree with this. Could Dave Boylen enquire perhaps?
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 38 - 75
HertsGTFC
November 11, 2017, 9:31am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from arryarryarry
I saw Matt Tees score in my first ever match at BP, Tuesday 7th September 1966, we beat Scunthorpe 7-1.

I saw him return to BP on the 7th November 1970 against Cambridge United with over 3,000 fans added to the gate from the previous match, we won 2-0 with Matt scoring one of them.

I watched him get that hat trick in the first game of the 71/72 season beating Scunthorpe again, this time 4-1 and saw just about every goal he scored after that home and away including one in that famous last match of the season against Exeter.

I have seen what I would class as some really great players turning out in the black & white stripes over the past 51 years but when I am asked who was my all time favourite player, the answer every time is Matt Tees.

My thoughts are with Matt and his family.

Matt was before my time but it's sad to see anyone suffering from dementia, must also be very challenging for their close relatives. I certainly wish him and his wife well.

BTW, the 7 - 1 versus Scunny was Clemence in goal that night?    

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 75
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Matt Tees

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.