8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Tommy
November 9, 2017, 10:50pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Agree with Cloudy, Chaos and louth_in_the_south.

At best would be an impact sub. Can remember him winning us a couple of penalties last season but that'd be the extent of any end product. Good work-rate and attitude it seems, but poor technically and lacks football intelligence.

I think if he was a regular starter there would soon be moans and groans of poor crosses, poor control, running the ball out of play or dribbling down blind alleys.

Good luck to him, hope he does well in the conference and enjoys getting some games.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 75
ginnywings
November 9, 2017, 11:33pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Agree Tommy. Still can't believe he got a 3 year deal. What was Hurst thinking?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 75
ex-merseymariner
November 10, 2017, 12:13am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Tommy
poor technically and lacks football intelligence.

This.

Found him infuriating in recent cameos; failing to make runs, failing to keep up with play, failing to work well with fullbacks or midfielders.

He has pace and some strength and unfortunately that's about it. A (presumably cheap) gamble by Hurst that didn't work out.

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 75
KingstonMariner
November 10, 2017, 1:00am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from ginnywings
Agree Tommy. Still can't believe he got a 3 year deal. What was Hurst thinking?

Maybe he saw something in him others didn't.......But three years?!

[cough] Padraig Amond. [cough]

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 75
arryarryarry
November 10, 2017, 2:56am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from chaos33
Bit of a shame he hasn't had more of a chance, but, in the interests of accuracy - he was signed by Hurst, who promptly seemed reluctant to start him, as did Bignot, who also used him as an occasional sub, and the same goes for Slade. To make out that Slade has failed to coach him into an asset is just daft. Seems to me that all of the last 3 managers haven't really rated him enough to command a starting place in a middling L2 team, and therefore that the player himself probably isn't good enough at 27 years old, despite, IMO, looking quite an effective impact sub. Makes his 3 year contract look a a farce, and it wasn't Mr Slade who gave him that. It was your ear cupping Yorkshire jester Mr Hurst.

Possibly so but no more of a farce than the 2 year contracts given to Hooper, Kelly, Rose, Dixon or even the 1 year contracts given to Matt and Woolford.

Some say TB didn't have any end product but neither have most of the above.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 75
arryarryarry
November 10, 2017, 2:58am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from ex-merseymariner

This.

Found him infuriating in recent cameos; failing to make runs, failing to keep up with play, failing to work well with fullbacks or midfielders.

He has pace and some strength and unfortunately that's about it. A (presumably cheap) gamble by Hurst that didn't work out.

That can apply to several of our players that Slade persists in playing.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 75
RoboCod
November 10, 2017, 7:22am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from arryarryarry

Possibly so but no more of a farce than the 2 year contracts given to Hooper, Kelly, Rose, Dixon or even the 1 year contracts given to Matt and Woolford.

Some say TB didn't have any end product but neither have most of the above.

This is the main issue for me. We're waiting for ALL the above to 'click'/to get fully fit/to give more than 1 decent performance. You can't build a successful team with so many spluttering performers.
Honestly, I wouldn't care if any/all of the above were let go today out and replaced, quite what Tom has done to be top of the list to go out is beyond me.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 75
Croxton
November 10, 2017, 8:11am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 33
Seen him in cup, reserves and off the bench. Tracks back, works hard and gives defences more hassle than Hoops, Kelly, Woolford etc. Real issue is the long contract.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 75
Jarmo.Is.God
November 10, 2017, 9:05am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Football is an opinion based sport, and everyone has a different opinion.

Slade isn't keen on Bolly, and you can tell by his signings of Woolford & Kelly.

They are not fast wingers like Bolly, and he obviously dosn't like fast wingers.

I honestly believe Slade knows he messed up with Kelly, like a lot of managers do. they sign players and it just doesn't work out for one reason or another.
Hurst made plenty, Buckley made plenty, it happens

However if he shipped Kelly out, he would also get stick for signing someone and letting them go straight away...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 75
Zmariner
November 10, 2017, 9:35am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,115
Gold Stars: 44
Personally, I am losing a bit of patience with Slade. Seeing Woolford amble down the line with not a chance of beating his man Is a waste of a place. Kelly, well who knows but the signs are not good. I would have kept Bolly in preference to Kelly Dixon and Woolford and so I guess this speaks volumes about how I feel about slades recruitment policy UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 75
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Tombola back to sutton

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.