4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
WOZOFGRIMSBY
November 5, 2017, 9:11am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,759
Gold Stars: 177
Imho we missed out on numerous strikers that were available  with the most notable one being amond. As I say, just my opinion

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 31
Swansea_Mariner
November 5, 2017, 9:41am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,387
Gold Stars: 62
I thought Amond came out and said he'd had no contact from us
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 31
moosey_club
November 5, 2017, 10:07am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,141
Gold Stars: 220
i seem to think it was fairly common opinion that we were in for Tyler Walker pre season...... maybe waited too long for that to come to fruition and by the time it didnt we were then back pedalling.

Now the "unbeaten run" has been broken maybe there is a chance that Slade will consider at least changing the strikers around...he knows the defence is relatively solid so changing the strikers shouldnt effect that but it may just bring us a goal.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 31
Davec
November 5, 2017, 12:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
The fact of the matter is we have a severe lack of quality up front and on the wings.

Scott Vernon- less than 10 goals in the last 3 years, and I know people say that he offers more than goals and I agree but to what effect? And when you don't have anybody else who can score goals it is a big problem.

Harry Cardwell- before this season he had no football league experience and only a few unsuccessful loan spells in non league football before us, he looks a hard worker but he looks a long way short in terms of quality.

Jamille Matt- 3 goals last season in 32 games for Blackpool, he seems to have a half decent record to date for Fleetwood but that counts for nothing atm, he looks lazy lethargic and bang out of form, and in November he's had enough time to get fit so you can't even use that excuse now.

JJ Hooper-10 goals in 51 for Port Vale in league 1 with many of those 51 games off the bench and playing out wide suggests to me that there is a half decent player in there but he's not a hard worker and he lacks application.

Sam Jones- now obviously there is a goalscorer in there but he doesn't look like he's enjoying football atm, he doesn't buy into Slade's way of playing and it looks as so he doesn't appreciate the poor players around him, I don't think he will ever hit form under Slade.

Akwasi asante- injury prone with 3 goals in 21 games above non league, looks decent on paper but realistically will he make it? I have my doubts.

Now on to the wingers.

Sam Kelly- 3 goals in 60 games is not good and to me he looks very poor, he lacks conviction, he lacks heart and he lacks fight.

Tom Bolarinwa, 2 goals in 40 ish league 2 games doesn't exactly look threatening, no doubts over his pace but very little end product and Slade clearly doesn't rate him much.

Dembele, very talented obviously but still extremely raw and therefore lacks some end product and it isn't good when he's our best player and our only hope when he's extremely inexperienced.

Jayesimi (however you spell it) again he's got virtually zero experience in the league and Slade obviously seems unwilling to give him a chance in the league.

Woolford- obviously a good player with a good pedigree but does he have the legs still? It's alright saying he would look better with a quick agile left back behind him but the fact of the matter is that he hasn't got a quick left back behind him so therefore he looks decidedly average.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 31
mariner91
November 5, 2017, 12:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,245
Gold Stars: 253
I think generally a combination of poor planning and poor recruitment has let RS down this season.

Firstly, our striking options are poor. He started with Jones, Vernon and Asante. One has a history of injury problems, one had limited football league experience despite being 26 and the other isn't a bad player but has never been a prolific goalscorer. So it wasn't the best starting base but this made it absolutely crucial that we got in at least one striker that would make a big difference. It was widely reported that we were after Nicky Maynard and Tyler Walker and both of those players would probably be a significant improvement on what we currently have, particularly Walker. For whatever reason, it didn't happen but this is where I think planning was poor. Managers should know that you need a list of good targets because you often won't get your first, second or maybe even third choice. As it is, we signed two players after trials which is never normally a sign that they're going to significantly improve your starting eleven. Cardwell had never played in the FL before and we were all told how lazy Hooper is (which has seemed the case in some games, not all). We then belatedly signed Jamille Matt who has a decent record and reputation around L2 and the NL so on paper wasn't a terrible signing but it doesn't seem to have come off. I can forgive the loan signing of Matt but to have both Cardwell and Hooper on two year deals when you're already struggling for top strikers seems pretty negligent to me. It means that at the start of next season we'll still have Hooper, Cardwell and Jones for sure which isn't the strongest forward line by any stretch.

At left back we've gone from one of our best players in Danny Andrew to arguably the weak link in the starting eleven. To compound matters, he is the only available left back. I don't think Dixon is as terrible as some make out but he is severely limited and is often targeted by the opposition. I seem to recall that we were wanting to sign Adam Chicksen who is undoubtedly a better player, as well as Sam Hart who was also signed by a L1 side. Again, we were left scraping the bottom of the barrel desperately trialing desperate players and although Dixon was probably the best trialist we had, he's still limited. It is also inexplicable that we have only one left back.

Out wide we have two exciting young prospects who are just about the only two good players signed this season. Yet for some reason RS seems reluctant to start DJ. Woolford isn't a bad player but would clearly benefit from having a player behind him who could offer more athleticism and pace. The fact that both left sided players lack pace and that it is so painfully obvious that we're limited because of this makes it even more perplexing that RS won't even attempt DJ out there. Particularly yesterday when no league points were at stake. Bad management. Tombola is a PH signing and obviously isn't fancied by RS. He's very raw and lacking end product and I think would be a better option from the bench than Kelly because he is at least unpredictable. Kelly is predictable in you know that he'll do precisely nothing. Kelly was clearly a Wilko-endorsed signing and I think it was probably the early realisation that he's pretty useless that led to us signing Woolford who is, at least, an improvement on him. Wilko has to take the blame for that one and again we're stuck with him for two years.

Defensively we're solid, if a little slow at the back. You could argue if Slade released the handbrake a little we might score more going forward and that our conservative approach is the main problem. Personally, I think RS has realised how limited our squad is (mainly his doing it has to be said) and after the horror shows at Stevenage and Mansfield has taken it back to basics to stop us conceding easily. Clean sheets means no defeats. A pragmatic if somewhat boring approach. Whilst that seems to have stopped that problem, I'd also argue that he caused the problem with his poor recruitment. I don't think he ever set out for our squad to look anything like it does now but it was his poor planning after missing out on top targets that led to such bad recruitment.

In January we desperately need a good striker to come in and make a difference but you don't get them for free mid-season.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 31
grimsby pete
November 5, 2017, 1:20pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
My thoughts are that Slade would rather stick with an experienced player than player a young but faster one,

If we are honest most manager would do the same,

BUT

He will have to find a striker who can score in the next window or the crowds will just get lower,

Leaving him less money to bring the right player in.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 31
HertsGTFC
November 5, 2017, 1:39pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
Clearly a striker is required and maybe we will have to look in the league below or U23's at a big club to bring someone in as what could be available in the EFL may not make the difference.

One thing for sure whoever we get will need better service than the current ones have had this season.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 31
grimps
November 5, 2017, 1:46pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +4,993
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from LondonMariner43
I wasn't there and only listened to the commentary but sounds like we had a lot of chances and just didn't get a bit of luck.  I'm sure we'll come good soon.

excrement teams dont get luck , having the ability to play well and lose is a sign of a excrement team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 31
grimsby pete
November 5, 2017, 2:52pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from grimps

excrement teams dont get luck , having the ability to play well and lose is a sign of a excrement team.

You make your own luck as they say, the harder you work the more you practice the luckier you get.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 31
oldun
November 5, 2017, 5:42pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
We do not seem to have a striker who will take a chance on a cross coming in from wide areas and make a run in towards the 6 yd area or get across in front of a defender. We have played dangerous balls across the face of the goal several times in recent games with no-one to get on the end of them. So frustrating when we have worked hard to create an opening. Likewise rarely does anyone go to the back post area for corners or freekicks when so many chances can come from there. Again frustrating.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 31
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Grimsby nil

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.