Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › I've never quite understood..............
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 400 Guests

I've never quite understood..............

This thread currently has 7,020 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Harry Haddock
October 29, 2017, 12:18am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +18 / -8
Approval: +670
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from SteffiMariner
The bit I don't understand is Arsenal used to be "boring, boring Arsenal" and yet still had high attendances. Not sure where the unattractive football doesn't bring gates in - I personally think if we'd won the three 0-0 draws 1-0, then attendances would be up despite the poor football. People want to see winning teams before entertaining teams.

Let's face it, would you rather play great attacking football and get relegated or play boring football and be mid-table?

Only crap attacking football will get you relegated. How can it be great if you go down ?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 47
promotion plaice
October 29, 2017, 12:27am

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,954
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from Fat Cobra
IUYM

Eh  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 47
oldun
October 29, 2017, 1:06pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
It may have been "boring" Arsenal but they were winning games. If we had won yesterday and if Jones had put away his penalty in the last home game the mood would be so much different. We would have 4 more points and be in the playoffs. It is the failure to win against average teams at home that is the problem at present .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 47
HertsGTFC
October 29, 2017, 1:50pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,648
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from grimsby pete
I would think that Slade was told be mid table at least this season.

Then get some more  of your own players in and go for promotion next season.

Agree completely with this, the safety first approach fits nicely with JF's new ground agenda for the time being at least.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 47
MuddyWaters
October 29, 2017, 2:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Agree completely with this, the safety first approach fits nicely with JF's new ground agenda for the time being at least.

Maybe, but what if the 'safety first' approach leads to 500 or more lost season ticket sales next year? And what new ground agenda? The one that's gone as quiet as the board have on the Stevenage shambles?
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 47
arryarryarry
October 29, 2017, 2:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,939
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from HertsGTFC

If the safety first approach is to achieve mid table this season then go for it next season when RS has signed more players, then as someone else pointed out he has signed 12 players and only 4 of those started on Saturday and two of them many don't rate so do you have full confidence in his ability to sign players that may achieve promotion next season?
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 47
HertsGTFC
October 29, 2017, 2:45pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

If the safety first approach is to achieve mid table this season then go for it next season when RS has signed more players, then as someone else pointed out he has signed 12 players and only 4 of those started on Saturday and two of them many don't rate so do you have full confidence in his ability to sign players that may achieve promotion next season?

From what I have seen so far no to be honest.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 47
rancido
October 29, 2017, 4:26pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,448
Gold Stars: 92
Quoted from grimsby pete
I would think that Slade was told be mid table at least this season.

Then get some more  of your own players in and go for promotion next season.

But Bignot was told to get to 50 points so we were safe and then build on that. If he had been allowed to develop his plan then this would have been a promotion pushing season, not next. If these kind of performances persist at home then you will see the attendances drop to a level that will financially hurt the club. If we can't beat mediocre mid-table teams at BP then what chance do we have against the better teams? I go to BP to see my team entertain me and hopefully win,  not to see a boring non-event when a point in a goal less draw is seen as some kind of achievement.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 47
HertsGTFC
October 29, 2017, 4:35pm

Barley Wine Drinker
What was Bignot’s plan? I am not being facetious I just couldn’t see it on the pitch, also when Bignot was here nothing told me on or off the pitch that we would be contenders this term

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 47
SteffiMariner
October 29, 2017, 5:03pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +408
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from rancido

But Bignot was told to get to 50 points so we were safe and then build on that. If he had been allowed to develop his plan then this would have been a promotion pushing season, not next. If these kind of performances persist at home then you will see the attendances drop to a level that will financially hurt the club. If we can't beat mediocre mid-table teams at BP then what chance do we have against the better teams? I go to BP to see my team entertain me and hopefully win,  not to see a boring non-event when a point in a goal less draw is seen as some kind of achievement.

First highlighted bit - we are a mediocre mid table team, not a Championship team.

Second highlighted bit - football is a results business, winning comes first, entertainment second.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › I've never quite understood..............

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.