ginnywings
October 28, 2017, 6:03pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Quoted from moosey_club
Apart from the first 25/30 mins where we looked brighter and sharper i thought the game was an awful spectacle.

Wind was a big factor admittedly but why on earth when its this windy do professional footballers persist in pointless high balls that just come back ?  Slade may wish us to try and turn the opposition round but in those conditions, 2nd half,  the ball couldnt travel that far.....surely as a footballer on the pitch you can realise it doesnt work so why not just play it to fkin feet ??

Woolford ??? Major hindrance to any attack IMO. Our left side is non existent going forward.

Summers and Bez ....good today but they are also limited in what they can offer going forward, this again limits our attacking threat.  

Vernon tries , won a few aerial challenges today and held up play but with no midfield running beyond there is little for him to do but go backwards.

Jones, clearly getting frustrated with the service he is getting which is effecting his game.  

The subs....not suprised by Jones as i thought he wasnt really offering anything at that point  ...Hooper, again very little service to him but he just projects a lazy demeanour which doesnt help his cause with the fans who seem to have him as boo boy target.
DJ on for Dembele.....good to see DJ on but not for Dembele, Woolford surely should have come off.

Finally.....whoever decided to put that drum outfit in the Pontoon wants shooting.

Yeah, he got about ten minutes including injury time. What's the point?

Should have been on sooner and had a go at them. We just cannot pin back a team, which is shameful at home, especially when they are as average as Cambridge were.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 120
MuddyWaters
October 28, 2017, 6:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Berrett, Davies & Summerfield all pretty good, Macca my MOM for two really good saves. Woolford & Dixon were woeful and Hooper should try running for a ball rather than throw his arms around - hence the boos when he replaces Jones. Interesting that Matt didn't make the bench today.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 120
Grimbiggs
October 28, 2017, 6:19pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / -4
Approval: +685
As already mentioned a decent first half when we had three decent efforts, their keeper denying us on two occasions, and Jones unlucky to hit the post. Having said that, they posed an attacking threat, missing a sitter in the six-yard box. Second half we huffed and puffed without really creating anything apart from Dembele's shot across goal, that was crying out for a finisher to bury it. They had several chances with McKeown denying them, together with a couple of goal line clearances. The wind didn't help, and whilst we're on an unbeaten run, Slades tactics and personnel won't change. However, it was a better performance than previous home games, and nobody can deny the players efforts today. Standout performer once again was Demebele who has to beat two or three men every time, with little support. Good games also from Summerfield, McKeown and Davies.

Cambridge, on the whole aren't a bad counter-attacking side, and on another day it could have been 3-3.  At the moment we are where we are, a solid mid-table side, that is lacking a couple of creative players together with a finisher. However, sterner tests will come with the likes of Exeter...UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 120
Maringer
October 28, 2017, 6:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
To be fair, you're always going to struggle against a wind like that in the second half. We defended quite well when they started to chuck it into the box but the fact is that they were bigger and stronger than us so it was always going to be a struggle. A couple of good saves from Macca though those chances seemed to come to them too easily (admittedly, the one at the death came from a hacked clearance which fell directly to their only player in space and he put a good ball through for Akinfenwa's mini-me).

Some good stuff played by us at times in the first half which was surprising as it's often almost impossible to play decent football in strong, swirling winds, but we don't get enough numbers into the box and the starting eleven is completely lacking in any real pace . Still, a pity we didn't manage to put one of our chances in.

The booing for the subs was ridiculous, but not as ridiculous as the substantial numbers of people (I hesitate to call them fans) streaming out with more than five minutes left to play and the game goalless. Utter pillocks, as we could quite easily have nicked a winner.

We're a bang average mid-table 4th division team at the moment (as we were last season but for Bogle's goals) and it doesn't seem to me that some people have realised this yet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 120
Mrs Doyle
October 28, 2017, 6:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Clearly CAMB are set up to play physical stuff up front with man mountain players  looking for set pieces and long hoofs with the wind at their backs our defence held on admirably with Macca making two lovely saves.

First half we played some nice stuff and deserved to be at least one up. The wind played a big part making it hard to clear the halfway line kicking towards the ponny end for both sides.

Not sure anything Slade did would have helped us against that wind hence why the booing was uncalled for.

Fair result Dembele,Summerfield and Clarke were easily our best players.

For them the big man mountain up front was a real handful and in full flow almost unstoppable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 120
sonofmadeleymariner
October 28, 2017, 6:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,399
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from Maringer
To be fair, you're always going to struggle against a wind like that in the second half. We defended quite well when they started to chuck it into the box but the fact is that they were bigger and stronger than us so it was always going to be a struggle. A couple of good saves from Macca though those chances seemed to come to them too easily (admittedly, the one at the death came from a hacked clearance which fell directly to their only player in space and he put a good ball through for Akinfenwa's mini-me).

Some good stuff played by us at times in the first half which was surprising as it's often almost impossible to play decent football in strong, swirling winds, but we don't get enough numbers into the box and the starting eleven is completely lacking in any real pace . Still, a pity we didn't manage to put one of our chances in.

The booing for the subs was ridiculous, but not as ridiculous as the substantial numbers of people (I hesitate to call them fans) streaming out with more than five minutes left to play and the game goalless. Utter pillocks, as we could quite easily have nicked a winner.

We're a bang average mid-table 4th division team at the moment (as we were last season but for Bogle's goals) and it doesn't seem to me that some people have realised this yet.

Not of you play it on the deck more and pass the ball instead of hoofing it into the wind. Yes I do understand sometimes you have to hoof it, but if you're agaibst the wind like that take back control and play it on the deck.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 120
moosey_club
October 28, 2017, 6:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,142
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from Maringer

Dont forget that people want excitement, entertainment for their  £18-20. Also we were supposed to a team pushing for promotion this season and the current side just doesnt look to have the guile that is needed to regularly win games, not lose that often , but wins are also needed.

Cambridge came to spoil and not lose the game...as a club with ambitions of promotion we should be doing all we can to turn them over and there wasnt enough match winning options out there to do that today.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 120
MuddyWaters
October 28, 2017, 6:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from moosey_club

Dont forget that people want excitement, entertainment for their  £18-20. Also we were supposed to a team pushing for promotion this season and the current side just doesnt look to have the guile that is needed to regularly win games, not lose that often , but wins are also needed.

Cambridge came to spoil and not lose the game...as a club with ambitions of promotion we should be doing all we can to turn them over and there wasnt enough match winning options out there to do that today.

Especially when Slade took two of them off.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 120
Garth
October 28, 2017, 6:53pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Defences were todays winners in those conditions especially Town, we`ve still have no threat up front and a point was well won because it seemed that neither team were going to score, the subs were silly and ill timed
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 120
newarkmariner
October 28, 2017, 7:05pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +5 / -4
Approval: +751
Gold Stars: 43
i agree with what most have put on here,really enjoyed the first half,some good football and should have scored a couple but for bad luck and some great goalkeeping,second half was dire because of the wind,but overall a point is a point.
p.s the band in the top of the pontoon ruined the game for me,who booked them,who gave them there playlist,please never agian
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 120
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.