Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › NEW STADIUM
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 221 Guests

NEW STADIUM

This thread currently has 26,304 views. Print
18 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
Bigdog
October 24, 2017, 9:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from SteffiMariner

So why are people wanting a 14,000 seater stadium then?

Well only eighteen months ago 14000 wanted to watch Town play a game and the year before a couple of thousand more than that dragged their asses on a 360 mile trip. There is interest in the club out there,

There is no doubt in my mind that at least 6k season tickets will be sold first season at the new stadium, add 2-3k floating and away fans, we'll be around 9-10k. The extra capacity for derbies and cup games will bring in extra income without extra cost. It's amazing how many Town fans come out of the woodwork when there's a hint of success or something to be proud of.

What capacity do you suggest then? 5k? 6k? That'll be intimidating like you said you wanted. A stadium with twelve rows of seats all the way round and hardly conducive to create any atmosphere at all. It'll look more like Bradley on steroids..

At 14k everyone is in agreement we won't sell out, you've used the 10k extra figure yourself to try and exaggerate your own argument.

You've rudely called anyone who disagrees with you a moron (and by the looks of it that's everyone), what's your master plan then?

In my mind JF gets quite a few things wrong but the decision to build a 14k stadium is about bang on..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 176
HertsGTFC
October 24, 2017, 9:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,880
Gold Stars: 227
In the Upper the match day experience is terrible, difficult to get into, poor toilets, poor refreshment facilities, arguably dangerous stairs up to the stand when the rain is heavy, pillars and at times apathetic stewarding. Paid £340 for a season ticket and sat on a broken seat for the first 5 games of the season.

Maybe JF and the board ought to take the "customer journey" in each stand for 4 games in a row then maybe things might move quicker.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 176
Bigdog
October 24, 2017, 9:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from HertsGTFC
In the Upper the match day experience is terrible, difficult to get into, poor toilets, poor refreshment facilities, arguably dangerous stairs up to the stand when the rain is heavy, pillars and at times apathetic stewarding. Paid £340 for a season ticket and sat on a broken seat for the first 5 games of the season.

Maybe JF and the board ought to take the "customer journey" in each stand for 4 games in a row then maybe things might move quicker.

And eat one of those hotdogs instead of fish and chips..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 176
ginnywings
October 24, 2017, 9:25pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548

So why are people wanting a 14,000 seater stadium then?

If you build it, they will come...

It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Plus building from new is way easier and cheaper than retro-fitting.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 176
promotion plaice
October 24, 2017, 9:28pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193
Quoted from Bigdog

[/b]

And eat one of those hot dogs instead of fish and chips..

And join the queue at the toilets at half-time.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 176
SteffiMariner
October 24, 2017, 11:06pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +408
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from Bigdog

Well only eighteen months ago 14000 wanted to watch Town play a game and the year before a couple of thousand more than that dragged their asses on a 360 mile trip. There is interest in the club out there,

Trips to Wembley... Any home games where we've needed a 14,000 seater stadium?

There is no doubt in my mind that at least 6k season tickets will be sold first season at the new stadium, add 2-3k floating and away fans, we'll be around 9-10k. The extra capacity for derbies and cup games will bring in extra income without extra cost. It's amazing how many Town fans come out of the woodwork when there's a hint of success or something to be proud of.

You're probably right, we could sell 6K in the first season, you know double the amount that we have sold for the last couple of years. This will be made up predominantly of the current 'floaters' that you mentioned above. I'm unsure how often we get at least 1K away fans, because with not wanting to sound logical, away fans don't generally travel to new stadiums as a rule. The odd one or two do, but not 1,000. Our average away following is probably half that. I would suggest when we get our stadium, we'd probably have 5K season tickets, 2K floaters and  we could leave 1K for away fans. We would then only need 2K extra seats for the bandwaggon jumpers that come to a couple of games a season.

What capacity do you suggest then? 5k? 6k? That'll be intimidating like you said you wanted. A stadium with twelve rows of seats all the way round and hardly conducive to create any atmosphere at all. It'll look more like Bradley on steroids..

I would suggest 10K as a maximum - if you look here http://thefishy.co.uk/story.php?id=8382729 you will see that our average attendance hasn't hit 5 figures for 37 years. In fact, the average over 14K only 10 times since 1925. I would also be surprised if we've sold out more than 10 times in those 37 years

At 14k everyone is in agreement we won't sell out, you've used the 10k extra figure yourself to try and exaggerate your own argument.

As above,  http://thefishy.co.uk/story.php?id=8382729, even our most successful season (98/99) only averaged just under 7K. This is where all those come out of the woodwork to jump on the success band wagon - in a higher division with higher away attendances. 10K is more than sufficient, no exaggeration to inflate my argument.

You've rudely called anyone who disagrees with you a moron (and by the looks of it that's everyone), what's your master plan then?

No, I've called people who think we are going to suddenly get 10,000 extra fans morons. We just aren't that well supported no matter what people may think. We have the odd good day, though it doesn't happen 23 times a season. New stadium would most likely generate average gates of 6-7K at most.

In my mind JF gets quite a few things wrong but the decision to build a 14k stadium is about bang on..

I think 14K is a big mistake as a few seasons in and then we'll be playing in a nice Blundell Park with 9K empty seats (more than the current capacity of Blundell Park).

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 176
SteffiMariner
October 24, 2017, 11:08pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +408
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from ginnywings

If you build it, they will come...

It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Plus building from new is way easier and cheaper than retro-fitting.

Tell that to Darlington FC...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 176
GYinScuntland
October 24, 2017, 11:22pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from Bigdog

[/b]

And eat one of those hotdogs instead of fish and chips..

I lost interest when they stopped serving those chesseburgers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 176
mimma
October 24, 2017, 11:55pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,567
Gold Stars: 78
I agree that there is interest out there. In the pub on a Saturday night I always get asked about the game, how they are doing etc. People might stop going for a variety of reasons, but fans never stop supporting the Town. They just need a reason to start going again, and a new stadium provides that for a while at least. It's then about making sure they keep wanting to go.

Then there's the problem of attracting new players. Just about every team in the league have either moved to a new stadium, or at least tarted up their existing grounds to a reasonable standard. Any potential new player will take one look at Blundell Park and wouldn't fancy playing there and sodomist off to scunny or where ever the next offer comes from. It must be a nightmare getting new players (and managers for that matter!) to sign.

I started following Town in the late fifties. Then we could look down our noses at lesser clubs like scunny, Donny, Rotherham, Rochdale Crewe etc etc. Not anymore, and that is down to our fall from grace, and the lack of investment in keeping up with our facilities. Anyone that watches us on TV must think what a dump, it's like something from the thirties. It's the only time Grimsby features on the telly. And it isn't a good impression.

You only have to look at what the new cinema did for people that wanted to go out and watch a film. They would go to scunny of Hull rather than the flea pit down freemo. Now they go to the new cinema up meggies because it has modern facilities and is a better family experience.

Had their council not built the K.Com Stadium, Hull City might have gone out of business altogether instead of reaching the promised land.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 176
ginnywings
October 24, 2017, 11:56pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548

Tell that to Darlington FC...

Yeah, let's pick out Darlington. Let's not consider all the other teams who have had a boost from a new stadium.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 176
18 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › NEW STADIUM

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.