1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
1mickylyons
October 16, 2017, 12:13pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,260
Gold Stars: 54
Whilst the watching has been painful on the eyes we are probably a side now seen as hard to beat. A decent draw in the FA Cup and an away win tomorrow could see us get the Season reignited .Fingers crossed for both.UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
HertsGTFC
October 16, 2017, 12:23pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,636
Gold Stars: 217
Invariably when we have a successful period there is usually a cup run to spark it off.

Are Chester still in it?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 7
moosey_club
October 16, 2017, 12:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
Getting harder with each mini phase to remain enthusiastically optimistic that this season might deliver something.....
so far we have had ...

injuries have hit the squad, wait til they get back we will be a force.......still waiting
sending offs have hit the squad, once all the players are back .....well they are now
we have only played the top teams so far ....
we have a run of teams around the bottom end coming up so could pick up a few points ......

a decent draw in the cup could spark .....  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 7
1mickylyons
October 16, 2017, 1:41pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club
Getting harder with each mini phase to remain enthusiastically optimistic that this season might deliver something.....
so far we have had ...

injuries have hit the squad, wait til they get back we will be a force.......still waiting
sending offs have hit the squad, once all the players are back .....well they are now
we have only played the top teams so far ....
we have a run of teams around the bottom end coming up so could pick up a few points ......

a decent draw in the cup could spark .....  

I like your posts and you don`t seem to have the mood swings that I do following Town however I would like to ask you a few questions?

What did you expect from Town before a ball was kicked with the squad assembled?
Have your aspirations changed now a quarter of the Season has gone?
Are you any wiser than the rest of us to this constant merry go round of loan players that serve no foreseeable purpose?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 7
moosey_club
October 16, 2017, 2:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Thank you.

Not sure what i expected really before a ball was kicked...in the summer i was hoping that Berrett & Summerfield would be gone, McAllister would be fit and a core midfield group of Osbourn, Clement, Jones and McAllister looked a decent starting place.
When Rose and Dembele were added i thought they look promising signings.....tie all that up with Slades organised approach i thought we could well improve here.
However in the friendlies when Berrett in particular was getting picked and we had the isolated Scott Vernon in a 4-1-4-1 i tempered my expectations.

Aspirations have not changed since the early friendlies really, thought we looked blunt up top no matter who played there,  no pace, no intelligent interplay and poor tactics. These could rise though if we changed the personnel around slightly i think as players like DJ,Tombola, Dembele have a bit of WOW about them at times but when only one of them plays we are too easy to nullify.

If we had a decent pacy left back, ala Townsend, i think we could shake up the formation to accommodate Dembele, Tombola, DJ at least at home in either a 4/3/3 , 3/5/2.

As regards loan players well...unfortunately Hursty left us with some average players holding contracts, Bignot blew more longer contracts on others so Russ has been limited on full time spending purely down to existing wage bill....could we recruit better than what we had on limited cash and offering probably 1 yr deals...maybe not.....so leaves us with loan signings.

I am naturally pessimistic but if we are destined to be mid table i would much rather be entertained while doing so.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 7
1mickylyons
October 17, 2017, 6:47am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club

Thank you.

Not sure what i expected really before a ball was kicked...in the summer i was hoping that Berrett & Summerfield would be gone, McAllister would be fit and a core midfield group of Osbourn, Clement, Jones and McAllister looked a decent starting place.
When Rose and Dembele were added i thought they look promising signings.....tie all that up with Slades organised approach i thought we could well improve here.
However in the friendlies when Berrett in particular was getting picked and we had the isolated Scott Vernon in a 4-1-4-1 i tempered my expectations.

Aspirations have not changed since the early friendlies really, thought we looked blunt up top no matter who played there,  no pace, no intelligent interplay and poor tactics. These could rise though if we changed the personnel around slightly i think as players like DJ,Tombola, Dembele have a bit of WOW about them at times but when only one of them plays we are too easy to nullify.

If we had a decent pacy left back, ala Townsend, i think we could shake up the formation to accommodate Dembele, Tombola, DJ at least at home in either a 4/3/3 , 3/5/2.

As regards loan players well...unfortunately Hursty left us with some average players holding contracts, Bignot blew more longer contracts on others so Russ has been limited on full time spending purely down to existing wage bill....could we recruit better than what we had on limited cash and offering probably 1 yr deals...maybe not.....so leaves us with loan signings.

I am naturally pessimistic but if we are destined to be mid table i would much rather be entertained while doing so.

Spot on assessment.Whilst not a Slade fan I expect it to take him a fair amount of time to wheel and deal and get in his own players to fit his system. I probably won`t be any happier with what i`m watching when that job is complete BUT I would expect the points tally to ratchet up. Part one making us hard to beat looks well under way......
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 7
Mariner93er
October 17, 2017, 8:53am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,674
Gold Stars: 28
I don't buy into the notion that there was limited cash. Both Clarke, Dixon and Woodford will be on a decent wage. I also believe dembele is on more than people think. Slade had enough money, but it's up to him how he spends it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 7
1mickylyons
October 17, 2017, 9:16am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Mariner93er
I don't buy into the notion that there was limited cash. Both Clarke, Dixon and Woodford will be on a decent wage. I also believe dembele is on more than people think. Slade had enough money, but it's up to him how he spends it.

They all look solid signings though and we are doing ok in terms of points gained league position etc.The problem is the God awful style of play especially at home and consequently the drop in gates. I want to see Town win BUT more importantly I also want to be entertained £20 is a lot of money if I get served a big steaming pile of dung once a fortnight for 90 mins for that outlay.Goals win games and goals bring in the extra fans, the majority of fans will stick by RS largely because the overwhelming majority of home support have invested in ST. Ask them if they are happy with what they are getting for their money I suspect most will refrain from happy clapping at this point.WE WANT GOALS
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 7
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hard to beat

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.