10 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 All Recommend Thread
crusty ole pie
October 14, 2017, 6:53pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,336
Gold Stars: 62
Just listened to his post match interview I have never heard so many errrs in a conversation although he tried to spin a positive yarn I think he was really struggling to put on a positive front after such a diabolical performance
Logged Offline
Private Message
Swansea_Mariner
October 14, 2017, 7:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,430
Gold Stars: 63
I honestly don't think it's that, I truly believe that he doesn't see any problem with the style of play. He's made a reasonable career out of it, so I wouldn't expect us to play some form of free flowing style anytime soon.

Each to their own, but for me I couldn't stand it last time around and I feel no different this time.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 95
MuddyWaters
October 14, 2017, 7:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
I honestly don't think it's that, I truly believe that he doesn't see any problem with the style of play. He's made a reasonable career out of it, so I wouldn't expect us to play some form of free flowing style anytime soon.

Each to their own, but for me I couldn't stand it last time around and I feel no different this time.

Me too. Sadly, I'd forgotten howfuckingshit it was last time and, truth be told, we would be quite close to the play-offs had we not missed the pen - which is really quite disturbing.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 95
Cod Cheeks
October 14, 2017, 7:38pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +374
Poor again wasn't it
Sadly there is nothing to enjoy, except the all to scarce, individual runs by jones and dembele.
If it's all about the result then you'd better start delivering hadn't you Russell because the entertainment value was zilch wasn't it.
Such a relief Crawly didn't sneak it.
Season ticket, if you're still here next year......NOPE
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 95
Roast Em Bobby
October 14, 2017, 7:39pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,720
Gold Stars: 43
He needs sacking ASAP - complete and utter dross being served up
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 95
BackHeelTony
October 14, 2017, 7:41pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +325
Gold Stars: 1
I really don't understand why so many people are so concerned about style of play.

I have no doubt that in time Slade will give us winning football. We will improve and be fighting for promotion before too long.

Do we really have to play like Brazil to get there.

Lets have some patience, get behind the team and let the manager do things his way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 95
ginnywings
October 14, 2017, 7:43pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from BackHeelTony
I really don't understand why so many people are so concerned about style of play.

I have no doubt that in time Slade will give us winning football. We will improve and be fighting for promotion before too long.

Lets have some patience, get behind the team and let the manager do things his way.

Because football isn't just about results. Had the pen gone in and we had won, it still would have been boring beyond belief.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 95
Bigdog
October 14, 2017, 7:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Was playing around with the surnames of RS and JF to see if there were any apt or witty anagrams.

SLADE FENTY

Stale was easy but it left me with a problem

___D_ FEN_Y

Only option left that sounded like a word was FENDY, so I was on the verge of giving up until..

Out of interest I googled FENDY just in case..

Apparently FENDY is an old Scottish word meaning thrifty

So FENDY STALE

Couldn't think of an anagram more apt..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 95
OllieGTFC
October 14, 2017, 7:56pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: -293
Give it a rest you lot moaning about a manager who finished 7th or 8th in the CHAMPIONSHIP !  That take some doing also he won manager of the year twice in league one so he cant be that bad can he ? He can only work with the budget he has, could be a lot worse could be chesterfield rock bottom but no we 5 points off the play offs, ok the football isn’t brilliant but I can remember everyone calling Hurst for his football short memory for some

We're on our way back, we’ll was now on our way back to non league 👍🏻
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 95
sonofmadeleymariner
October 14, 2017, 7:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,452
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from BackHeelTony

Really you like being bored out of your mind either watching or listening to the match? You're right we don't have to play like Brazil but a bit of pace, enthusism and positivity wouldn't go amiss. We have some good players, yet Slade doesn't seem to know how to play football to get the best out of them.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 95
Roast Em Bobby
October 14, 2017, 8:05pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,720
Gold Stars: 43
His way is not even a semi decent version of hoof ball, I can only assume that those saying give him more time haven’t been going to matches.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 95
Bigdog
October 14, 2017, 8:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from OllieGTFC
Give it a rest you lot moaning about a manager who finished 7th or 8th in the CHAMPIONSHIP !  That take some doing also he won manager of the year twice in league one so he cant be that bad can he ? He can only work with the budget he has, could be a lot worse could be chesterfield rock bottom but no we 5 points off the play offs, ok the football isn’t brilliant but I can remember everyone calling Hurst for his football short memory for some

Quote..

"Slade became unpopular with a large section of supporters at Cardiff and crowd numbers fell dramatically during his tenure at the club as he finished 11th in his first season and 8th in his second."

As you say, he probably hasn't been given the best of budgets, but his style of play resulting in lower crowds this season certainly won't help his budget next summer when he goes cap in hand to Fenty. God knows what entertainment will be served up in 2018/19..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 95
Swansea_Mariner
October 14, 2017, 8:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
The Cardiff thing has been done to death, they lost 5k off their gate and there was a survey with over 3k responses with 92% saying they did not like the football on show.

As for Hurst' s style of play, for me it was far superior to the way we play now. The issue with his unpopularity was imho more down to built up frustration from failing to fall just over the line year after year. Whilst still early ish doors in Hursts career he looks to be carving out a far superior managerial track record than Slade ever has.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 95
IlkleyMariner
October 14, 2017, 8:20pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +2,978
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from ginnywings

Because football isn't just about results. Had the pen gone in and we had won, it still would have been boring beyond belief.

Don't think anybody in their right mind want to see pretty football and get us relegated.
Tony Pullis has kept WBA in the Premiershite by playing the most appalling football
Personally I don't want to watch non-league footy again.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 95
MuddyWaters
October 14, 2017, 8:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Anodyne (see below) sums it up

anodyne
ˈanədʌɪn/Submit
adjective
not likely to cause offence or disagreement and somewhat dull.
"anodyne music"
synonyms:     bland, inoffensive, innocuous, neutral, unobjectionable, unexceptionable, unremarkable, commonplace, dull, tedious, run-of-the-mill
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 95
Cloudy
October 14, 2017, 8:30pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
The Cardiff thing has been done to death, they lost 5k off their gate and there was a survey with over 3k responses with 92% saying they did not like the football on show.

As for Hurst' s style of play, for me it was far superior to the way we play now. The issue with his unpopularity was imho more down to built up frustration from failing to fall just over the line year after year. Whilst still early ish doors in Hursts career he looks to be carving out a far superior managerial track record than Slade ever has.

How many times have you seen us this season Swansea?
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 95
GrimRob

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Since the dawn of the Fishy, every manager we have ever had has at one or other time been accused of being a tactical pygmy. But many of them have gone on to other clubs and achieved successes of sorts. Meanwhile their accusers, who presumably possess advanced football knowledge to spot such deficiencies in those employed professionally, continue to the best of my knowledge not to advance into the coaching roles their observational skills suggest they should occupy.

My own view is that however we play and whatever we do will always attract criticism. We will always over-pass, underpass, don't pass when we should, play the wrong players in the wrong positions, and generally, lose games for whatever reason is blindingly obvious to those in the stands.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 16 - 95
LH

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,459
Gold Stars: 172
Not sure it would have continued to have been as boring as a game had the penalty gone in. Crawley would have wanted to get a goal back and would have had to come out of their shell a bit to get one therefore leaving more space at the back for our strikers to not move into.

Results are important in games like today IMO. If you can’t get the result get a performance - unfortunately today we didn’t really get either.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 95
TheCodfather1966
October 14, 2017, 8:31pm
Lager Top Drinker
Approval: -633
Todays game was awful, simple as that.  Everybody couldn't wait for the game to end and get the hell out of BP.  I have tried keeping faith with Slade, but sadly he has reduced us to a shell of a football team.  I have not enjoyed a single performance at BP this season.  I cannot remember a time when the games were as boring as they currently are.  Roll on the next home game , I can barely wait !!!!

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 95
Cod Cheeks
October 14, 2017, 8:44pm
Snakebite drinker
Approval: +374
[quote=2]Since the dawn of the Fishy, every manager we have ever had has at one or other time been accused of being a tactical pygmy. But many of them have gone on to other clubs and achieved successes of sorts. Meanwhile their accusers, who presumably possess advanced football knowledge to spot such deficiencies in those employed professionally, continue to the best of my knowledge not to advance into the coaching roles their observational skills suggest they should occupy.

I don't know anything about acting either but I know a a crap film when I see one, I also know what ive been watching this season has been poor and today was utter dross

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 95
Swansea_Mariner
October 14, 2017, 9:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Cloudy

How many times have you seen us this season Swansea?

Only live at Newport if we're not counting the Ifollow lol. I'll be at Whaddon Road on Tuesday though if you want a pint?

Seriously I can't face travelling too far to see Sladeball i'm just not a fan so I'll just see the local matches this season, unless I'm close with work.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 95
TAGG
October 14, 2017, 9:13pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,960
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from Perkins
Slade? One word. KNOB.

Would he not be a KNOF
Knows Nothing Of Football

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 95
ginnywings
October 14, 2017, 9:17pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from IlkleyMariner

Don't think anybody in their right mind want to see pretty football and get us relegated.
Tony Pullis has kept WBA in the Premiershite by playing the most appalling football
Personally I don't want to watch non-league footy again.

Fair points and i also think Rob has some valid points. You can't please everybody all the time and there will always be naysayers. Even the great Sir Alan had his detractors. I'm not and wasn't a fan of Slade and his pragmatic style of play but fully appreciate that this is League 2 and the standard is not that good generally. I thought one of the best looking sides i watched last season was Exeter and they are still riding high now having sold their best two players. Maybe given the 72 years Tidsdale has had at their club, Slade may get us to that stage eventually, but at the moment it is boring, plain and simple. The only way fans will tolerate that style of play long term is if the team is scoring and winning regularly. Some managers and some teams just generate a buzz, but Slade never has for me, even when he nearly got us promoted last time. It seems many are in agreement but everyone has an opinion. You seem to be equating "pretty football" with relegation for some reason?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 95
moosey_club
October 14, 2017, 9:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,206
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from GrimRob
Since the dawn of the Fishy, every manager we have ever had has at one or other time been accused of being a tactical pygmy. But many of them have gone on to other clubs and achieved successes of sorts.

Challenged !!!

Not sure when The Fishcake was born but at a quick memory recall of managers but no doubt missing one or two along the way ( and not in time order either before someone starts    ) ....

Bignot
Hurst
Scott
Woods
Newell
Buckley  ( all three times )
Slade Mk 1
Law
Laws
Lawrence
Rodger
Groves
Roberts
Lyons
Nichol
Booth
Newman
Kerr

out of that list i can only think of Brian Laws who actually went on to "achieve success" somewhere else.....

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 95
GrimRob
October 14, 2017, 9:37pm

Quoted from ginnywings

Fair points and i also think Rob has some valid points. You can't please everybody all the time and there will always be naysayers. Even the great Sir Alan had his detractors. I'm not and wasn't a fan of Slade and his pragmatic style of play but fully appreciate that this is League 2 and the standard is not that good generally. I thought one of the best looking sides i watched last season was Exeter and they are still riding high now having sold their best two players. Maybe given the 72 years Tidsdale has had at their club, Slade may get us to that stage eventually, but at the moment it is boring, plain and simple. The only way fans will tolerate that style of play long term is if the team is scoring and winning regularly. Some managers and some teams just generate a buzz, but Slade never has for me, even when he nearly got us promoted last time. It seems many are in agreement but everyone has an opinion. You seem to be equating "pretty football" with relegation for some reason?

I agree it's pretty boring at the moment. What I really meant that playing a different way wouldn't necessarily mean better results, and it might even result in worse ones. I just can't see this squad making it into the top 7 no matter how we play, but the manager's remit is to try and get as many points as possible because that is the only stat he is judged on. Mid-table seasons are boring, I miss the buzz of looking for other team's results and trying to figure out what we need to get in the top X.

Assuming we finish in comfortable midtable then the only question really is to stick or twist for next season. Continuity generally seems the best ingredient for success than choping and changing, but we're only one bad season away from the trapdoor and making a bad choice is inherently risky.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 24 - 95
sonofmadeleymariner
October 14, 2017, 9:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,452
Quoted from moosey_club

Challenged !!!

Not sure when The Fishcake was born but at a quick memory recall of managers but no doubt missing one or two along the way ( and not in time order either before someone starts    ) ....

Bignot
Hurst
Scott
Woods
Newell
Slade Mk 1
Law
Laws
Lawrence
Rodger
Groves
Roberts
Lyons
Nichol
Booth
Newman
Kerr

out of that list i can only think of Brian Laws who actually went on to "achieve success" somewhere else.....

and Hurst currently.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 95
GrimRob
October 14, 2017, 9:46pm

Quoted from moosey_club

Challenged !!!

Bignot
Hurst
Scott
Woods
Newell
Slade Mk 1
Law
Laws
Lawrence
Rodger
Groves
Roberts
Lyons
Nichol
Booth
Newman
Kerr

Hurst and Slade have both got better jobs after leaving here so they have moved upwards in the job market. They were here early in their careers and have done quite well since. Alan Buckley was employed by Lincoln and Rochdale after leaving us in the early Fishy days, so he was hardly unemployable, although age was not on his side.Woods and Rodger were never manager material in the first place and we made a mistake in promoting them. Newell and Rob Scottt are the only ones who have sunk without a trace, but I am not sure either's departure was anything to do with their coaching abilities.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 26 - 95
MuddyWaters
October 14, 2017, 9:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob

I agree it's pretty boring at the moment. What I really meant that playing a different way wouldn't necessarily mean better results, and it might even result in worse ones. I just can't see this squad making it into the top 7 no matter how we play, but the manager's remit is to try and get as many points as possible because that is the only stat he is judged on. Mid-table seasons are boring, I miss the buzz of looking for other team's results and trying to figure out what we need to get in the top X.

Assuming we finish in comfortable midtable then the only question really is to stick or twist for next season. Continuity generally seems the best ingredient for success than choping and changing, but we're only one bad season away from the trapdoor and making a bad choice is inherently risky.

But we were mid-table under Bignot but I can't remember being as bored as I have been at the last 3 home games.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 95
GrimRob
October 14, 2017, 9:53pm

Quoted from MuddyWaters

But we were mid-table under Bignot but I can't remember being as bored as I have been at the last 3 home games.

I am sure if you go back and look back over the last few years (and all the messages are still there) people have regularly been complaining at the lack of entertainment - under Hurst and Slade anyway. MB maybe not, although performances under him were quite erratic.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 28 - 95
ginnywings
October 14, 2017, 9:53pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from GrimRob

Not much to disagree with there but if we are going to be marooned in mid table, can't we do it with a better brand of football? If it had been end to end today and finished 2-2, i think most would have been happier with a point in that scenario.

Maybe we just need one or two more ingredients and to be fair, Slade has only had about 20 odd games in charge so far. I hope Asante and Osborne will shake us up a bit, if and when they return.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 95
GrimRob
October 14, 2017, 10:03pm

Quoted from ginnywings

Not much to disagree with there but if we are going to be marooned in mid table, can't we do it with a better brand of football? If it had been end to end today and finished 2-2, i think most would have been happier with a point in that scenario.

Maybe we just need one or two more ingredients and to be fair, Slade has only had about 20 odd games in charge so far. I hope Asante and Osborne will shake us up a bit, if and when they return.

Do you think there is enough creativity in the squad to be able to concede two goals and still have a good chance of coming away with something? I'm not saying there isn't. On the other hand if we conceded two every home game we would definitely be branded as defensively naive? Everyone says they want to be entertained but nearly everyone also demands results if we get ourselves in a position where we "should" win.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 30 - 95
MuddyWaters
October 14, 2017, 10:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
As a paying customer, I'd just like Slade/Fenty/Wilkinson or anyone really to let us know what the plan is. Bignot did, at the very least, say that he planned to change many aspects of the club - for some reason, that was stopped and we are now left with a re-run of something that happened a very long time ago.
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 95
Garth
October 14, 2017, 10:08pm

Season Ticket Holder
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from LH
Not sure it would have continued to have been as boring as a game had the penalty gone in. Crawley would have wanted to get a goal back and would have had to come out of their shell a bit to get one therefore leaving more space at the back for our strikers to not move into. )

Results are important in games like today IMO. If you can’t get the result get a performance - unfortunately today we didn’t really get either.

Snigger
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 95
wigworld
October 14, 2017, 10:10pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Bignot 'excitement' or Slade yawn?

Can I abstain from this one?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 33 - 95
Lincoln Mariner 56
October 14, 2017, 10:26pm
Brandy Drinker
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,650
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from GrimRob

Do you think there is enough creativity in the squad to be able to concede two goals and still have a good chance of coming away with something? I'm not saying there isn't. On the other hand if we conceded two every home game we would definitely be branded as defensively naive? Everyone says they want to be entertained but nearly everyone also demands results if we get ourselves in a position where we "should" win.

I would accept without Mcallister, Clemence & Osbourne our midfield options are currently limited, and whilst current incumbents are not the sole reason we lack creativity the lack of alternatives does not help and Slade appears set against giving Clifton minutes to show if he can add anything.

Personally feel the side he put out at Scunny in Checkatrade would provide for a more entertaining Saturday afternoon and would love to see big Tom and DJ start with Jones & Dembele floating around and no passes above head height but doubt it will happen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 95
arryarryarry
October 14, 2017, 11:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from GrimRob
Since the dawn of the Fishy, every manager we have ever had has at one or other time been accused of being a tactical pygmy. But many of them have gone on to other clubs and achieved successes of sorts. Meanwhile their accusers, who presumably possess advanced football knowledge to spot such deficiencies in those employed professionally, continue to the best of my knowledge not to advance into the coaching roles their observational skills suggest they should occupy.

My own view is that however we play and whatever we do will always attract criticism. We will always over-pass, underpass, don't pass when we should, play the wrong players in the wrong positions, and generally, lose games for whatever reason is blindingly obvious to those in the stands.

So no different to any other clubs forums.

Sometimes some of us fans are right, Neil Woods?
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 95
Zmariner
October 15, 2017, 10:45am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,115
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from BackHeelTony

Exactly what would have given for mid table L2 a couple of years ago. We will not go down , style is poor and needs some work but this will take time

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 95
Ipswin
October 15, 2017, 10:56am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
I think the main thing is we didn't lose yesterday.
OK it was a bore draw and the football is not entertaining at the moment but the main thing is we are hopefully not facing a relegation battle.
Anyone who thinks (or hopes) we can get promoted or get into the playoffs is kidding themselves, we just aren't good enough and mid table is a result.
That said there is no reason that mid table teams can't be entertaining but with the current squad trying to be entertaining is perhaps too risky if not actually beyond them

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 95
KingstonMariner
October 15, 2017, 11:10am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
The problem I have with the argument that it's only our second season back in the League is what will more time bring? I'm not sure what this infrastructure (if it's not physical and that will only come with the new ground/major redevelopment of BP) is that we apparently lack.  Crowds are falling so we're losing revenue. So the budget for the other off-field support (specialist coaching, S&C, nutrition etc) will only come under more pressure.

Maybe Rob's right, that stability is helpful for eventual success. Most teams take time to gel, and some mistakes get made in recruiting, and good players end up being sold, new players come in. I'm certainly not advocating another change in manager.

So whilst all this is happening, while the squad evolves and the football is boring, what is the leadership doing to boost attendances to keep the revenue up? Apart from alienating the fanbase.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 95
MuddyWaters
October 15, 2017, 11:10am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin
I think the main thing is we didn't lose yesterday.
OK it was a bore draw and the football is not entertaining at the moment but the main thing is we are hopefully not facing a relegation battle.
Anyone who thinks (or hopes) we can get promoted or get into the playoffs is kidding themselves, we just aren't good enough and mid table is a result.
That said there is no reason that mid table teams can't be entertaining but with the current squad trying to be entertaining is perhaps too risky if not actually beyond them

First half was OK yesterday, 2nd half turgid and we fell flat after the penalty miss.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 95
oldun
October 15, 2017, 12:32pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
As a ST holder I was a rare absentee yesterday but the worrying thing is I did not really miss it. I have not felt like that since Buckly's failed return and I then stopped going for a while. I fell out of love with GTFC and the football. After reading the just back comments I fear many may feel the same. Certainly the non season ticket holders will drift away if the product continues to be poor. Having said that football is all about winning and if the team wins the quality of play is glossed over. If we were in the top six the complaints about the so called Sladeball would disappear.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 95
lee65
October 15, 2017, 12:46pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,480
Gold Stars: 10
What level of payment comes in to the club from TV deals or from the EFL?, and is any related to where you finish in the table? (assuming not promoted or relegated)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 95
GrimRob
October 15, 2017, 1:07pm

3 points from a win was supposed to discourage negative football but I think defensive organisation and fitness has improved since the 1980s and football is starting to get boring again a lot of the time. I reckon we'd be better going back to 2 points to a win as standard and have 3 points for a win by 2 or more goals. Nearly everyone goes to football to see a) their team win, b) their team score (the more the better!). If the opposition score as well it's not intrinsically bad as long as your own team continues to press for more goals.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 42 - 95
Swansea_Mariner
October 15, 2017, 1:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
I think extra points for threshold scores would help, like the bonus points available in rugby for additional trys
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 95
lee65
October 15, 2017, 1:39pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,480
Gold Stars: 10
Certainly "not losing" has replaced winning as the mantra at many levels of football.

One thing all teams are in general compared to 20 years ago is fitter, and at lower levels they are athletes first and skilful players second.

Would some of the great players with trickery we used to enjoy watching for Town get the same time and space today?

Not footy I know, and I'm not a tennis fan, but I heard a phone in during Wimbledon when someone asked John McEnroe why they don't get the teenage sensations like he and Becker were?  His answer was simply that all the top players spend so much time in the gym and on fitness training these days that anyone under 20 just cant compete physically long enough to even get the opportunity for their skill to kick in during a long match.

It's the same with Golf too  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 95
devs
October 15, 2017, 1:51pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 30
I have a season ticket - in many ways thank God cos I travel 30-35 miles and I honestly don't think I could be enthused to phone up mid week and get my £18 early bird.
As previous poster said don't mind being mid table as long as I see some exciting stuff

Went yesterday expecting a drab game and I got it

There was a great post a few weeks back that has stuck in my mind - modern day L2 footballers (and some higher up) are physical specimens/athletes first and footballers second

I cannot for the life of me see much technical ability in Jamaille Matt - and he's from a L1 club!
His technique is woeful

Says it all for me when Sam Jones and Jamie Osbourne were picked up from non league partly (I assume) as they didn't make it first time around? Very good technical ability IMO

The way we play is down to Slade's philosophy and the general attitude of 'must get results now' - that is a lot to do with the short life of a manager when success isn't instant
So, be strong at the back, hoof it forward, play off the big fella and take it from there... if it works then fine but if not it is dire.

But if a manager believes in passing footy they will surely play that style, Sir Alan came to GTFC on back of successive relegations; we then nosedived to fourth bottom in L2 (I know cos it was first time I went to USA and read the depressing stat in NYT!).

The rest is history as they say... was he given more time or was it his insistence on passing football?

Finally, am I wearing rose-tinted specs, or are footballers these days way less technically gifted than in recent years?

I'm sure they are
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 95
mariner91
October 15, 2017, 1:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,578
Gold Stars: 260
They're not less technically gifted, they're getting far less space and far less time than players did even 15 years ago, let alone the early 90's and 80's. Like you said, all players are now athletes and generally organisation has improved meaning you get virtually no time on the ball. All of our players can pick a pass when given time and space (look at Summerfield last week) but it's a lot harder when you've got a split second before someone is on you.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 95
Mariner93er
October 15, 2017, 2:13pm
Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,720
Gold Stars: 28
Which is why you have to create your own space, and gain that extra second. If you watch us, we're so rigid it's easy to close us down and mark our players out of the game, hence the hoof. We need players like Dembele and jones to be given more freedom, which then creates the space to play. It is possible to do it at this level, doncaster and portsmouth tore us a new one doing it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 95
Cloudy
October 15, 2017, 2:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Genuine question; how long a contract does Slade have.
Someone claiming yesterday he has a 4 year deal and that was why he agreed to come?

If so, then we better get used to the 'style' and hope eventually he can his players in to play effectively
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 95
crusty ole pie
October 15, 2017, 3:45pm

Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,336
Gold Stars: 62
Quoted from Cloudy
Genuine question; how long a contract does Slade have.
Someone claiming yesterday he has a 4 year deal and that was why he agreed to come?

If so, then we better get used to the 'style' and hope eventually he can his players in to play effectively

Don't ask mr. F that he gets quite touchy
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 95
Gaffer58
October 15, 2017, 5:55pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
Well Slade will have passed some coaching badges, don't know to what level, like all managers, so from where do you get a manager "who thinks outside the box" and they are all schooled the same way. Hence in theory they all play the same way, as mentioned many years ago how would a Brian Clough, Bill Shankly type ever get a job today. Has a mate at work who coached Lincoln City youths, two things he said struck me, the first they played Leeds youths and he said every one of them was 6 foot plus, and on one course the instructor asked them what to do in the last 5 minutes when 1 goal up, the manual says " get it into the corner flag" , I rest my case.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 95
RichMariner
October 15, 2017, 6:20pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,133
Gold Stars: 209
I'm losing interest in Town faster than ever before because the way we play is never going to dominate another team. It feels like we'll never give a team a good thumping because our approach just doesn't allow for it.

So when we come up against a team that's asking for a thumping, we'll probably scrape a narrow victory, and it won't be much fun to watch.

It looks for all the world that we're destined to finish exactly where we are now - mid-table.

I'd actually be satisfied with that if I saw something to cling onto for the future, but as a previous poster has mentioned, Slade builds squads for today because he'll know better than anyone that clubs don't give managers time.

Bignot thought he had time - he thought he was building something for the future - and he was sacked after five months.

So what we have now is a manager who isn't really looking to next season, or concerned about bringing Clifton through, but turning to old heads like Clarke and Woolford to do a steady job and see where that gets us.

We might see steady progress under Slade if we give him time. If we're still mid-table playing an awful brand of football this time next season then I'd consider giving him the sack.

Getting rid now won't solve anything, especially as I have zero confidence in Fenty finding the right sort of replacement.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 51 - 95
Swansea_Mariner
October 15, 2017, 6:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
The gates clearly show the level of interest is waining, were down about 1000 bums on seats from last season and gradually slipping back to our non league average which was less than 4k a season.

As for a four year contract, jeez.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 95
MuddyWaters
October 15, 2017, 7:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from RichMariner

Getting rid now won't solve anything, especially as I have zero confidence in Fenty finding the right sort of replacement.

Can't think why  
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 95
ginnywings
October 15, 2017, 7:09pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from RichMariner
I'm losing interest in Town faster than ever before because the way we play is never going to dominate another team. It feels like we'll never give a team a good thumping because our approach just doesn't allow for it.

So when we come up against a team that's asking for a thumping, we'll probably scrape a narrow victory, and it won't be much fun to watch.

It looks for all the world that we're destined to finish exactly where we are now - mid-table.

I'd actually be satisfied with that if I saw something to cling onto for the future, but as a previous poster has mentioned, Slade builds squads for today because he'll know better than anyone that clubs don't give managers time.

Bignot thought he had time - he thought he was building something for the future - and he was sacked after five months.

So what we have now is a manager who isn't really looking to next season, or concerned about bringing Clifton through, but turning to old heads like Clarke and Woolford to do a steady job and see where that gets us.

We might see steady progress under Slade if we give him time. If we're still mid-table playing an awful brand of football this time next season then I'd consider giving him the sack.

That's exactly what we were saying yesterday. Even the worst sides get it right now and again and give someone a thumping. I never feel we will do that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 95
ginnywings
October 15, 2017, 7:14pm

Recovering Alcoholic
The gates clearly show the level of interest is waining, were down about 1000 bums on seats from last season and gradually slipping back to our non league average which was less than 4k a season.

Is it four years? JF wouldn't say at the press conference to announce his signing. We knew what Hurst and Bignot were on; 6 month rolling. Seems strange he glossed over the question and quickly moved on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 95
lew chaterleys lover
October 15, 2017, 7:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,652
Gold Stars: 234

We often got very poor home  crowds when we were at Championship level so I wouldn't expect gates to be much higher as we settle back to being in the league.

If we can get a run going, we will have better crowds, but then only between 5-6000 if we are lucky.

Yesterdays game was a bit flat; Crawley doesn't set pulses racing, and both sides served up poor fare but that happens in football. We were pretty good for the first part of the game, but when the goal didn't materialise it went downhill. Still plenty of time left for us to be involved in the fight for the play offs.
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 95
Shilts
October 15, 2017, 7:41pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / -1
Approval: +121
My greatest concern with Slade is the second season.

We're a safe and boring team now, we won't go up and we won't go down. He won't be sacked. The slim hope I and many cling to is the second season success he seems to build, as he did in his last tenure.

But you look to next season and let's presume a fairy world where everyone u want out goes and those you want stay.....

Mckeown. Not good enough for a promotion side. Davis,  Clarke and Collins ALL another year older. Dixon not good enough. Berrett, Summerfield and Woolford not good enough.  Forwards all not good enough.  So that's leaves Dembele, likely to leave  and Jones!!!!!

We would need an entire new squad, just to look half decent. Unless he can pull 10 rabbits out hat signings, who trusts him to manage 2 good signings, let alone 10!!!!

"Nothing says party like a retro Ciba Geigy Town shirt bobbing away on an inflatable flamingo."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 95
gtfc98
October 16, 2017, 1:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 68
Were we really that bad though? I'm not doubting it's was a dire game but you have to remember Crawley have a decent away record and we really should have taken all 3 points with the penalty.

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 95
friskneymariner
October 16, 2017, 2:14pm

Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from gtfc98
Were we really that bad though? I'm not doubting it's was a dire game but you have to remember Crawley have a decent away record and we really should have taken all 3 points with the penalty.

Yes we were,we had no attacking threat what so ever.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 95
Maringer
October 16, 2017, 2:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
Apart from the penalty and the chances created (quite well) for Dembele and Jones in the first half. It wasn't a good performance, but let's not attempt to rewrite history.

The Coventry and Lincoln games were two examples where we didn't create anything at all that I can recall so it's not as though we're doing enough at home at the moment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 95
friskneymariner
October 16, 2017, 2:23pm

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
Apart from the penalty and the chances created (quite well) for Dembele and Jones in the first half. It wasn't a good performance, but let's not attempt to rewrite history.

The Coventry and Lincoln games were two examples where we didn't create anything at all that I can recall so it's not as though we're doing enough at home at the moment.

Wow you must be very easily entertained then.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 95
Maringer
October 16, 2017, 3:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I'd have been more entertained if we'd scored a couple from the chances which we created. We didn't score but a few chances to were there all the same which was my whole point.

The interplay for the two first half chances was actually very good. We just didn't replicate it during the second half apart from Jones' solo effort which was a bit too solo due to the poor miss.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 95
arryarryarry
October 16, 2017, 5:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

Which Dembele chance?
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 95
Maringer
October 16, 2017, 5:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Where he played a one two with Vernon, beat the last man to go clear through the middle of their defence but then slowed down too soon which let their defender catch up and block his shot. If that's not a chance (admittedly one which he mucked up), I don't know what is. If he'd continued to run full-pelt another few paces he'd have had a clear shot to beat the keeper. Heaven only knows why he eased off, especially after his goal the previous game.

In that thread after the match on Saturday you mentioned an off-target shot and a soft header from about 12 yards which went straight into McKeown's hands as being serious first half chances by Crawley so it's a surprise that you think Dembele's wasn't!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 95
MuddyWaters
October 16, 2017, 5:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
Where he played a one two with Vernon, beat the last man to go clear through the middle of their defence but then slowed down too soon which let their defender catch up and block his shot. If that's not a chance (admittedly one which he mucked up), I don't know what is. If he'd continued to run full-pelt another few paces he'd have had a clear shot to beat the keeper. Heaven only knows why he eased off, especially after his goal the previous game.

In that thread after the match on Saturday you mentioned an off-target shot and a soft header from about 12 yards which went straight into McKeown's hands as being serious first half chances by Crawley so it's a surprise that you think Dembele's wasn't!

I don't know what the stats for Saturday were but two chances in 45 minutes of football is not exactly going to put bums on seats.
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 95
friskneymariner
October 16, 2017, 5:35pm

Champagne Drinker
Do you count that shot from Somerfield from the edge of penalty area that cleared the roof of the Pontoon.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 95
Davec
October 16, 2017, 5:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from friskneymariner
Do you count that shot from Somerfield from the edge of penalty area that cleared the roof of the Pontoon.

And there's me thinking it was a Summerfield pass
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 95
Maringer
October 16, 2017, 5:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from friskneymariner

Count it as what? A shot which wasn't on target? Not entirely sure what you're trying to argue here.

You said we didn't create any chances, I pointed out we created a few, you ignored that and started talking about entertainment. Something which I hadn't mentioned.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 95
Maringer
October 16, 2017, 5:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I don't know what the stats for Saturday were but two chances in 45 minutes of football is not exactly going to put bums on seats.

*Shrug*

That's the way some games go. BBC reckons we had 4 efforts on target and 8 in total which sounds about right to me. About the same as Crawley.

One noticeable thing from the stats is the sheer number of free-kicks awarded - 35 in total with 22 given away by us - a ridiculous number in the context of a game which wasn't in the slightest bit dirty. I think the referee has a lot to answer for in this respect and it's no surprise the game was so dull with a swirling wind, two distinctly average sides and the whistle being blown every couple of minutes at the slightest hint of a challenge. We certainly gave away some daft free-kicks in our own half though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 95
rancido
October 16, 2017, 6:05pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,531
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from MuddyWaters
As a paying customer, I'd just like Slade/Fenty/Wilkinson or anyone really to let us know what the plan is. Bignot did, at the very least, say that he planned to change many aspects of the club - for some reason, that was stopped and we are now left with a re-run of something that happened a very long time ago.

Totally agree TOC, at least Bignot was working towards developing a squad for a serious assault at promotion this season. We couldn't have played worse if Bignot was still here! IMO it looks like Slade is just "treading water" and hoping it turns out ok. Dembele apart I don't think any of the eleven signings he made have improved the squad. This " achievement" of his at Cardiff is being done to death in Slade's defence but that is history and what I see in his performances and tactics so far is totally inept. If he has a restrictive budget why sign eleven players! He replaced two strikers on Saturday ( not his signings) who had battled hard in spite of poor support from mid-field and brought on two strikers ( his signings ) who brought absolutely nothing to the table. I will still support GTFC whoever is manager but on his performances and signings so far I think he will still be " The Nearly Man "'

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 95
stevethefish
October 16, 2017, 6:41pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Approval: +773
Gold Stars: 66
This season has turned out to be a bit different to many recent. We seem to be struggling against top half teams, but taking points from bottom half.

I’m pleased we have tightened up as this always gives you a chance to progress.

32 points needed from 33 games to be safe.

Keep up our average of 1.5 points from last 8 games and we will just miss out on play offs again.

Why do we always start off so slow????
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 95
MuddyWaters
October 16, 2017, 7:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from rancido

Totally agree TOC, at least Bignot was working towards developing a squad for a serious assault at promotion this season. We couldn't have played worse if Bignot was still here! IMO it looks like Slade is just "treading water" and hoping it turns out ok. Dembele apart I don't think any of the eleven signings he made have improved the squad. This " achievement" of his at Cardiff is being done to death in Slade's defence but that is history and what I see in his performances and tactics so far is totally inept. If he has a restrictive budget why sign eleven players! He replaced two strikers on Saturday ( not his signings) who had battled hard in spite of poor support from mid-field and brought on two strikers ( his signings ) who brought absolutely nothing to the table. I will still support GTFC whoever is manager but on his performances and signings so far I think he will still be " The Nearly Man "'

I thought three of the midfield were pretty good first half and just got bypassed 2nd half after the penalty miss which seemed to deflate us.
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 95
Marinerz93
October 16, 2017, 7:51pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Quoted from MuddyWaters

We have already been told the plan by Fenty who stated that Sladeball was brought in to take us to the next level. The question is, how does our budget compare to those who are in the top 7.

I can't see anybody being happy with how we are playing, even those who have rose tinted glasses welded on can see how drab and slow we are. The link up play is painful to watch and the lack of movement makes you wonder have these players gone through set play routines. This side is miles off making a promotion bid and it's so obvious it pisses most people off as it's a yet another season of make do by a Chairman who doesn't mind us being average until a new stadium comes along.

It must frustrate the players who lets face are being shackled to stop those less able from being exposed but we know who they are and question why were they brought in. It has to be a budget issue so we are back to the man who claims he isn't in charge yet seems to take what ever action he wants. The football reflects Fenty and his ambition in my view.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 95
1mickylyons
October 17, 2017, 6:56am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Marinerz93

We have already been told the plan by Fenty who stated that Sladeball was brought in to take us to the next level. The question is, how does our budget compare to those who are in the top 7.

I can't see anybody being happy with how we are playing, even those who have rose tinted glasses welded on can see how drab and slow we are. The link up play is painful to watch and the lack of movement makes you wonder have these players gone through set play routines. This side is miles off making a promotion bid and it's so obvious it pisses most people off as it's a yet another season of make do by a Chairman who doesn't mind us being average until a new stadium comes along.

It must frustrate the players who lets face are being shackled to stop those less able from being exposed but we know who they are and question why were they brought in. It has to be a budget issue so we are back to the man who claims he isn't in charge yet seems to take what ever action he wants. The football reflects Fenty and his ambition in my view.

This League is sooooooooo poor IF we could get a run of results we could quite easily go up.The standard is shocking you add an Omar/cutting edge ala missed penno Saturday you win tight games. Luton apart all the teams in this league seem to play boring negative football designed to stop the other team playing.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 95
Meza
October 17, 2017, 7:55am

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,631
Gold Stars: 50
Personally i think Slade is building for next season with a lot of players out of contract at the end of the season.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 95
Bigdog
October 17, 2017, 9:04am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Meza
Personally i think Slade is building for next season with a lot of players out of contract at the end of the season.

If he's signed eleven players over the summer that's more than enough for him to build a team for this season not next. Remember, he's the one that's given Kelly and Hooper two year contracts. So much for building for next season.

Some people thought Bignot's recruitment policy was erratic but Slade's actions seem more bizarre, especially from an experienced manager. At least with Bignot you could call it youthful exuberance, and he did sign some quality.

I can't make out any rhyme nor reason to Slade's transfer dealings so far. A proper scattergun approach maybe driven by him not being very sure himself about players or squeezing budget out of JF panic by panic.

I really thought RS would have had a lot smaller squad investing in quality not quantity. It was the only hope I had but he seems to have gone in the opposite direction to what I hoped and expected of him....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 95
Bigdog
October 17, 2017, 9:08am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93

I don't think that is the case. I actually think that JF believes that RS is building a promotion winning squad. Reference his Sladeball comment to Ginnywings. That's the scary thing and it comes down to questionable footballing judgement once again..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 95
Bigdog
October 17, 2017, 9:14am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from 1mickylyons

This League is sooooooooo poor IF we could get a run of results we could quite easily go up
.The standard is shocking you add an Omar/cutting edge ala missed penno Saturday you win tight games. Luton apart all the teams in this league seem to play boring negative football designed to stop the other team playing.

There's not a chance in hell that this squad is good enough to be one of the four teams out of twenty four that will be promoted this season..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 95
1mickylyons
October 17, 2017, 9:16am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

There's not a chance in hell that this squad is good enough to be one of the four teams out of twenty four that will be promoted this season..

Why based on what?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 95
denni266
October 17, 2017, 10:11am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +700
Gold Stars: 132
Quoted from Bigdog

Correct card.. we are a team put together with  players no one else wanted. by a manager that is past his best.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 95
Bigdog
October 17, 2017, 10:36am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Why based on what?

It's only my opinion based upon a lack of real quality throughout the side..

BACK FOUR

Slow overall, poor left back, defence needs added protection not to concede which affects midfield support going forward, lack of support play from full back.

CENTRAL MIDFIELD

Individuals performing better than expected, but expectations were low. Still not the quality required for a team battling at the top end of the table.

FORWARDS

Total lack of firepower and pace.

These are the negatives why I don't think we've got a cat in hell's chance of getting promoted..

There's enough positives for me to believe that we'll be safe this season which is a step forward from what I was thinking  a month ago. One defeat in seven will be reflected as a good run by the time the season has ended however unimpressive we've been playing. I've got a feeling that the make up of this squad could easily go on a bad run of games too.

I'll be over the moon if I'm proved wrong..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 95
1mickylyons
October 17, 2017, 12:23pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

It's only my opinion based upon a lack of real quality throughout the side..

BACK FOUR

Slow overall, poor left back, defence needs added protection not to concede which affects midfield support going forward, lack of support play from full back.

CENTRAL MIDFIELD

Individuals performing better than expected, but expectations were low. Still not the quality required for a team battling at the top end of the table.

FORWARDS

Total lack of firepower and pace.

These are the negatives why I don't think we've got a cat in hell's chance of getting promoted..

There's enough positives for me to believe that we'll be safe this season which is a step forward from what I was thinking  a month ago. One defeat in seven will be reflected as a good run by the time the season has ended however unimpressive we've been playing. I've got a feeling that the make up of this squad could easily go on a bad run of games too.

I'll be over the moon if I'm proved wrong..

No I feel pretty much the same as you we could go on a good run but just as likely a bad one and my main worry is lack of goals and worse still chances being created. I think a fully fit Woolford and an older wiser Dembele are key to our success but that lack of a cutting edge will cost us in the tighter games ala Saturday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 95
FishOutOfWater
October 17, 2017, 1:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Quoted from 1mickylyons

No I feel pretty much the same as you we could go on a good run but just as likely a bad one and my main worry is lack of goals and worse still chances being created. I think a fully fit Woolford and an older wiser Dembele are key to our success but that lack of a cutting edge will cost us in the tighter games ala Saturday.

One thing I couldn't get my head around on Saturday was the timing and choice of subs

Vernon was achieving nothing much at all and I would rather he had gone off after say 60 minutes ( before the penalty ) and had Hooper come on for him rather than the like for like swaps that were made, too late in the game for my liking

As for Woolford, he too was out of sorts and there was one attempted chase down of a ball near the Imp corner where he was clearly blowing, nothing in his tank, so how he stayed on for 90+ minutes I really don't know

Why not then bring on Jaiyesimi in his place and give the Crawley defence something to think about with all of our forwards running at them....Jones twice managed to get through with the ball at his feet ( winning the penalty with one run ) and Hooper could have pulled their defence around too with his runs if we hadn't persisted with lumping it up to a "target man", of which neither on the day won anything much at all

I recall Slade saying he liked to use his full squad and that he would make substitutions to try and influence a positive outcome... my question to Slade on Saturday if I had been Matt Dean interviewing him, would have been why he delayed making changes, why he just went like for like and why he only used two of his three men from off the bench?

All in all it was a drab performance and totally frustrating  - even if we had got the three points by converting the penalty, we were short on ideas and quality but we could at least have tried to mix things up so much more and put Crawley on the back foot.

What we had though were two teams / managers who didn't want to lose so stuff the paying public who might want to have been entertained...

We got a point but imho it was the other two points going begging, that we weren't prepared to take a chance on chasing,  that really got my back up  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 83 - 95
Abdul19
October 17, 2017, 1:37pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,515
Gold Stars: 215
Yes, the subs reminded me of PH!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 95
Mariner_09
October 17, 2017, 1:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from Meza

Players signed up for next season:

Dixon
Kelly
Hooper
Cardwell
Rose
J Osborne
Jones
Bolarinwa
Dembele (option)
K Osborne (option)
Killip (option)

If you reckon there's the makings a promotion challenging side in there you are sadly very mistaken. Dembele, Jones and Osborne may be good players but apart from that there are average to poor league players. If we want to challenge next season we'll need 11 or 12 quality signings again and they'll take time to bed in so we'll struggle again and unless we change our style of play a side with Suarez, Kante, Neymar and De Bruyne wouldn't get us promoted.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 95
arryarryarry
October 17, 2017, 5:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mariner_09

Dixon
Kelly
Hooper
Cardwell
Rose

J Osborne
Jones
Bolarinwa

Dembele (option)
K Osborne (option)
Killip (option)

If you reckon there's the makings a promotion challenging side in there you are sadly very mistaken. Dembele, Jones and Osborne may be good players but apart from that there are average to poor league players. If we want to challenge next season we'll need 11 or 12 quality signings again and they'll take time to bed in so we'll struggle again and unless we change our style of play a side with Suarez, Kante, Neymar and De Bruyne wouldn't get us promoted.

Agree,

Those highlighted appear to be deemed not good enough to start in this season's squad so I doubt very much if they will likely be starters next season.

Whilst what I have seen so far this season I wouldn't want Dixon to be a starter either.
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 95
Marinerz93
October 18, 2017, 5:18pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Abdul19
Yes, the subs reminded me of PH!

I didn't see the time the subs came on but with Hurst it was always around 70 minute mark.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 95
Abdul19
October 18, 2017, 5:24pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,515
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from Marinerz93

I didn't see the time the subs came on but with Hurst it was always around 70 minute mark.

70th and 78th minutes and like for like.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 95
October 18, 2017, 5:46pm
Guest User
For all this talk about Slade being excrement and not letting the players play freely I thought it was hugely telling last night that dembele scored and ran straight to RS for a big hug....
Reply: 89 - 95
ginnywings
October 18, 2017, 5:51pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from 935
For all this talk about Slade being excrement and not letting the players play freely I thought it was hugely telling last night that dembele scored and ran straight to RS for a big hug....

Slade rescued him from the Nike academy. It's hard work making trainers all day for subsistence wages.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 95
Marinerz93
October 18, 2017, 5:51pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 935

Are you saying that Sladeball gave him the freedom he has been craving and thanked him accordingly  

Private Message
Reply: 91 - 95
Meza
October 18, 2017, 6:32pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,631
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from Mariner_09

Dixon
Kelly
Hooper
Cardwell
Rose
J Osborne
Jones
Bolarinwa
Dembele (option)
K Osborne (option)
Killip (option)

wooooaw not once did i say good, promotion winning side, thats your speak not mine, i said building for next season jesus christ get some glasses lol

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 95
GTFC_85
October 18, 2017, 6:38pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +248
Gold Stars: 3
Quite a few young signings in the squad some of which are new to league football. Dembele Jones Osborne Osborne to name a few. I don't understand the negativity when we are looking to become established in the league for a few years then look to have a go with our younger players more experienced and a stable management. Give slade a chance. There's teams with us in this league that are currently better equipped to go up. Our time will cone I'm sure
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 95
Garth
October 18, 2017, 7:37pm

Season Ticket Holder
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Well I haven`t given up on promotion just yet, when Paul Wilkinson came into the first team years ago I thought he`d never make a league footballer, same with Rob Jones, the shop and Nolan, what do I know
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 95
Cloudy
October 18, 2017, 7:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Garth
Well I haven`t given up on promotion just yet,

I seem to recall we were about 6th from bottom in mid Oct 1997 - that season didn't end too bad and although I think we would struggle as a club if we went up I might be prepared to give it a try!
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 95
10 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Slade

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.