denni266
October 17, 2017, 10:11am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.82
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +636
Gold Stars: 129
Quoted from Bigdog

There's not a chance in hell that this squad is good enough to be one of the four teams out of twenty four that will be promoted this season..

Correct card.. we are a team put together with  players no one else wanted. by a manager that is past his best.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 95
Bigdog
October 17, 2017, 10:36am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Why based on what?

It's only my opinion based upon a lack of real quality throughout the side..

BACK FOUR

Slow overall, poor left back, defence needs added protection not to concede which affects midfield support going forward, lack of support play from full back.

CENTRAL MIDFIELD

Individuals performing better than expected, but expectations were low. Still not the quality required for a team battling at the top end of the table.

FORWARDS

Total lack of firepower and pace.

These are the negatives why I don't think we've got a cat in hell's chance of getting promoted..

There's enough positives for me to believe that we'll be safe this season which is a step forward from what I was thinking  a month ago. One defeat in seven will be reflected as a good run by the time the season has ended however unimpressive we've been playing. I've got a feeling that the make up of this squad could easily go on a bad run of games too.

I'll be over the moon if I'm proved wrong..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 95
1mickylyons
October 17, 2017, 12:23pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,261
Gold Stars: 54
Quoted from Bigdog

It's only my opinion based upon a lack of real quality throughout the side..

BACK FOUR

Slow overall, poor left back, defence needs added protection not to concede which affects midfield support going forward, lack of support play from full back.

CENTRAL MIDFIELD

Individuals performing better than expected, but expectations were low. Still not the quality required for a team battling at the top end of the table.

FORWARDS

Total lack of firepower and pace.

These are the negatives why I don't think we've got a cat in hell's chance of getting promoted..

There's enough positives for me to believe that we'll be safe this season which is a step forward from what I was thinking  a month ago. One defeat in seven will be reflected as a good run by the time the season has ended however unimpressive we've been playing. I've got a feeling that the make up of this squad could easily go on a bad run of games too.

I'll be over the moon if I'm proved wrong..

No I feel pretty much the same as you we could go on a good run but just as likely a bad one and my main worry is lack of goals and worse still chances being created. I think a fully fit Woolford and an older wiser Dembele are key to our success but that lack of a cutting edge will cost us in the tighter games ala Saturday.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 95
FishOutOfWater
October 17, 2017, 1:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from 1mickylyons

No I feel pretty much the same as you we could go on a good run but just as likely a bad one and my main worry is lack of goals and worse still chances being created. I think a fully fit Woolford and an older wiser Dembele are key to our success but that lack of a cutting edge will cost us in the tighter games ala Saturday.

One thing I couldn't get my head around on Saturday was the timing and choice of subs

Vernon was achieving nothing much at all and I would rather he had gone off after say 60 minutes ( before the penalty ) and had Hooper come on for him rather than the like for like swaps that were made, too late in the game for my liking

As for Woolford, he too was out of sorts and there was one attempted chase down of a ball near the Imp corner where he was clearly blowing, nothing in his tank, so how he stayed on for 90+ minutes I really don't know

Why not then bring on Jaiyesimi in his place and give the Crawley defence something to think about with all of our forwards running at them....Jones twice managed to get through with the ball at his feet ( winning the penalty with one run ) and Hooper could have pulled their defence around too with his runs if we hadn't persisted with lumping it up to a "target man", of which neither on the day won anything much at all

I recall Slade saying he liked to use his full squad and that he would make substitutions to try and influence a positive outcome... my question to Slade on Saturday if I had been Matt Dean interviewing him, would have been why he delayed making changes, why he just went like for like and why he only used two of his three men from off the bench?

All in all it was a drab performance and totally frustrating  - even if we had got the three points by converting the penalty, we were short on ideas and quality but we could at least have tried to mix things up so much more and put Crawley on the back foot.

What we had though were two teams / managers who didn't want to lose so stuff the paying public who might want to have been entertained...

We got a point but imho it was the other two points going begging, that we weren't prepared to take a chance on chasing,  that really got my back up  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 83 - 95
Abdul19
October 17, 2017, 1:37pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
Yes, the subs reminded me of PH!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 95
Mariner_09
October 17, 2017, 1:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,189
Gold Stars: 54
Quoted from Meza
Personally i think Slade is building for next season with a lot of players out of contract at the end of the season.

Players signed up for next season:

Dixon
Kelly
Hooper
Cardwell
Rose
J Osborne
Jones
Bolarinwa
Dembele (option)
K Osborne (option)
Killip (option)

If you reckon there's the makings a promotion challenging side in there you are sadly very mistaken. Dembele, Jones and Osborne may be good players but apart from that there are average to poor league players. If we want to challenge next season we'll need 11 or 12 quality signings again and they'll take time to bed in so we'll struggle again and unless we change our style of play a side with Suarez, Kante, Neymar and De Bruyne wouldn't get us promoted.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 95
arryarryarry
October 17, 2017, 5:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,940
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Mariner_09

Players signed up for next season:

Dixon
Kelly
Hooper
Cardwell
Rose

J Osborne
Jones
Bolarinwa

Dembele (option)
K Osborne (option)
Killip (option)

If you reckon there's the makings a promotion challenging side in there you are sadly very mistaken. Dembele, Jones and Osborne may be good players but apart from that there are average to poor league players. If we want to challenge next season we'll need 11 or 12 quality signings again and they'll take time to bed in so we'll struggle again and unless we change our style of play a side with Suarez, Kante, Neymar and De Bruyne wouldn't get us promoted.

Agree,

Those highlighted appear to be deemed not good enough to start in this season's squad so I doubt very much if they will likely be starters next season.

Whilst what I have seen so far this season I wouldn't want Dixon to be a starter either.
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 95
Marinerz93
October 18, 2017, 5:18pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Abdul19
Yes, the subs reminded me of PH!

I didn't see the time the subs came on but with Hurst it was always around 70 minute mark.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 95
Abdul19
October 18, 2017, 5:24pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
Quoted from Marinerz93

I didn't see the time the subs came on but with Hurst it was always around 70 minute mark.

70th and 78th minutes and like for like.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 95
October 18, 2017, 5:46pm
Guest User
For all this talk about Slade being excrement and not letting the players play freely I thought it was hugely telling last night that dembele scored and ran straight to RS for a big hug....
Reply: 89 - 95
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Slade

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.