10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
October 16, 2017, 2:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,407
Gold Stars: 184
Apart from the penalty and the chances created (quite well) for Dembele and Jones in the first half. It wasn't a good performance, but let's not attempt to rewrite history.

The Coventry and Lincoln games were two examples where we didn't create anything at all that I can recall so it's not as though we're doing enough at home at the moment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 95
friskneymariner
October 16, 2017, 2:23pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from Maringer
Apart from the penalty and the chances created (quite well) for Dembele and Jones in the first half. It wasn't a good performance, but let's not attempt to rewrite history.

The Coventry and Lincoln games were two examples where we didn't create anything at all that I can recall so it's not as though we're doing enough at home at the moment.

Wow you must be very easily entertained then.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 95
Maringer
October 16, 2017, 3:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I'd have been more entertained if we'd scored a couple from the chances which we created. We didn't score but a few chances to were there all the same which was my whole point.

The interplay for the two first half chances was actually very good. We just didn't replicate it during the second half apart from Jones' solo effort which was a bit too solo due to the poor miss.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 95
arryarryarry
October 16, 2017, 5:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Maringer

Which Dembele chance?
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 95
Maringer
October 16, 2017, 5:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Where he played a one two with Vernon, beat the last man to go clear through the middle of their defence but then slowed down too soon which let their defender catch up and block his shot. If that's not a chance (admittedly one which he mucked up), I don't know what is. If he'd continued to run full-pelt another few paces he'd have had a clear shot to beat the keeper. Heaven only knows why he eased off, especially after his goal the previous game.

In that thread after the match on Saturday you mentioned an off-target shot and a soft header from about 12 yards which went straight into McKeown's hands as being serious first half chances by Crawley so it's a surprise that you think Dembele's wasn't!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 95
MuddyWaters
October 16, 2017, 5:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Maringer
Where he played a one two with Vernon, beat the last man to go clear through the middle of their defence but then slowed down too soon which let their defender catch up and block his shot. If that's not a chance (admittedly one which he mucked up), I don't know what is. If he'd continued to run full-pelt another few paces he'd have had a clear shot to beat the keeper. Heaven only knows why he eased off, especially after his goal the previous game.

In that thread after the match on Saturday you mentioned an off-target shot and a soft header from about 12 yards which went straight into McKeown's hands as being serious first half chances by Crawley so it's a surprise that you think Dembele's wasn't!

I don't know what the stats for Saturday were but two chances in 45 minutes of football is not exactly going to put bums on seats.
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 95
friskneymariner
October 16, 2017, 5:35pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
Do you count that shot from Somerfield from the edge of penalty area that cleared the roof of the Pontoon.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 95
Davec
October 16, 2017, 5:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from friskneymariner
Do you count that shot from Somerfield from the edge of penalty area that cleared the roof of the Pontoon.

And there's me thinking it was a Summerfield pass
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 95
Maringer
October 16, 2017, 5:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from friskneymariner

Count it as what? A shot which wasn't on target? Not entirely sure what you're trying to argue here.

You said we didn't create any chances, I pointed out we created a few, you ignored that and started talking about entertainment. Something which I hadn't mentioned.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 95
Maringer
October 16, 2017, 5:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I don't know what the stats for Saturday were but two chances in 45 minutes of football is not exactly going to put bums on seats.

*Shrug*

That's the way some games go. BBC reckons we had 4 efforts on target and 8 in total which sounds about right to me. About the same as Crawley.

One noticeable thing from the stats is the sheer number of free-kicks awarded - 35 in total with 22 given away by us - a ridiculous number in the context of a game which wasn't in the slightest bit dirty. I think the referee has a lot to answer for in this respect and it's no surprise the game was so dull with a swirling wind, two distinctly average sides and the whistle being blown every couple of minutes at the slightest hint of a challenge. We certainly gave away some daft free-kicks in our own half though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 95
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Slade

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.