Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › If the answer is Matt...
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 231 Guests

If the answer is Matt...

This thread currently has 6,618 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
October 14, 2017, 6:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Then what's the question?

He doesn't jump, his first touch is dreadful, smaller players beat him in the air etc etc. Will he ever score for us? At least Ben Tomlinson looked like he was trying  
Private Message
sonofmadeleymariner
October 14, 2017, 6:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,452
Gold Stars: 37
He was a desperation signing like most of of the players Slade brought in this summer

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 35
Gaffer58
October 14, 2017, 6:52pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
You would assume that after watching some of our signings Fenty would be asking Slade WHY!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 35
Swansea_Mariner
October 14, 2017, 7:06pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,430
Gold Stars: 63
Is it possible to terminate the loan or is he here for the season no matter what?

The reason I ask is perhaps we can find something better in the January window.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 35
heppy88
October 14, 2017, 7:12pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
Is it possible to terminate the loan or is he here for the season no matter what?

Do you trust Slade to find something better?
After watching his post match comments, he doesnt understand why the fans are not happy! He cant understand why they are not entertained
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 35
moosey_club
October 14, 2017, 7:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,209
Gold Stars: 224
Maybe the question is ....

Who will score goals if you put a decent cross into the box ?
Who will score goals if you get behind the opposition on a regular basis ?
Who can create chaos in the opposition box if you can get the ball in there ?

None of our strikers pose a goal threat largely because they get zero service...its unfair to single Matt out.  Vernon got 70 mins today and i dont think he even faced the goal once never mind attempted to direct a ball at it.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 35
Maringer
October 14, 2017, 7:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
Matt has a reasonable enough goalscoring record for Fleetwood, and was well-regarded by Plymouth fans following his loan spell there the other season which would tend to indicate he's more than capable of playing decently at this level. Let's not do the usual Fishy knee-jerk and write him off just yet, shall we?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 35
MuddyWaters
October 14, 2017, 7:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
Matt has a reasonable enough goalscoring record for Fleetwood, and was well-regarded by Plymouth fans following his loan spell there the other season which would tend to indicate he's more than capable of playing decently at this level. Let's not do the usual Fishy knee-jerk and write him off just yet, shall we?

It's alright being 'more than capable' but, on the evidence of what he's achieved so far, it hardly looks like he was worth stalking for most of pre-season, does it?
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 35
ginnywings
October 14, 2017, 7:40pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Strikers need service.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 35
sonofmadeleymariner
October 14, 2017, 7:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

It probably is a case of getting the wrong sort of service like Dembele does and Vernon does, just because they are big target men doesn't mean they like the ball hoofed up to them, they probably do much better wth ball to foot in Vernons case and to foot or into space on the deck in Dembele and Matts case.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 35
Maringer
October 14, 2017, 8:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
I have to say that I did think we passed it around a bit more today than in some games I've seen this season, including passes into the feet of the forwards. Problem there was that we didn't exactly have players bombing forward in support so it was generally a case of holding onto the ball and laying it back into midfield as opposed to moving it on quickly in attack.

I think our full-backs were very much aware that their counterparts were a lot faster than ours and so naturally sat back a lot deeper rather than pushing forward into attacking positions. All of the Crawley full-backs and wide men were quicker than ours. Two distinctly average teams today but a bit more pace might have made the difference for us. We're a slow squad once again this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 35
HertsGTFC
October 14, 2017, 8:49pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
What p1ssed me off today was on a number of occasions we got ourselves in decent positions in and around the 18 yard box with our heads down and took pointless shots. Example being Jones made a good run from the left towards the Ponny, Vernon dropped off into space, did Jones square it? Did he fornicators. The players need to just look up and see what's on in front of them rather than punting it long or taking pot shots.

Then again is that what they are being told to do I wonder?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 35
Cloudy
October 14, 2017, 9:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from HertsGTFC
What p1ssed me off today was on a number of occasions we got ourselves in decent positions in and around the 18 yard box with our heads down and took pointless shots. Example being Jones made a good run from the left towards the Ponny, Vernon dropped off into space, did Jones square it? Did he fornicators. The players need to just look up and see what's on in front of them rather than punting it long or taking pot shots.

Then again is that what they are being told to do I wonder?

I hate to see our players having shots
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 35
Grimbiggs
October 14, 2017, 10:01pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / -4
Approval: +685
Whilst there has been a lack of service, I'd have sooner seen the combined wages of Matt, Hooper and Cardwell being spent on a decent striker who can score at this level. A decent striker has to create his own opportunities/ chance's, after all James Collins managed to score 20 goals in a poor Crawley side last season....I don't think the three I've mentioned will score that many between them this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 35
moosey_club
October 14, 2017, 10:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,209
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from Grimbiggs
Whilst there has been a lack of service, I'd have sooner seen the combined wages of Matt, Hooper and Cardwell being spent on a decent striker who can score at this level. A decent striker has to create his own opportunities/ chance's, after all James Collins managed to score 20 goals in a poor Crawley side last season....I don't think the three I've mentioned will score that many between them this season.

Well its hard for Cardwell to contribute goals at the moment isnt it ?

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 35
sonofmadeleymariner
October 14, 2017, 10:21pm
Vodka Drinker
I think it may be time for Cardwell to get a few starts, from what I've seen briefly I like, bit of pace bit of skill and can't be any worse to who we've already tried

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 35
Grimbiggs
October 14, 2017, 10:23pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / -4
Approval: +685
Quoted from moosey_club

Well its hard for Cardwell to contribute goals at the moment isn't it?

From what I've seen of the three of them, I don't think any of them are likely to be the answer to our goalscoring problems, no matter how good the service is. In regard to Cardwell, Slade obviously see's him as a squad player at best, but he probably deserves more opportunities, based on his pace alone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 35
ginnywings
October 14, 2017, 11:23pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Cardwell is young and was brought in to develop. When he did start earlier in the season, the game passed him by and i don't think he is ready to lead the line in the first team yet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 35
Tommy
October 14, 2017, 11:31pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
When Cardwell played earlier in the season he was the lone striker.

I think he'd have something to offer playing up front in a 2. He's probably the only striker we've got with a turn of pace.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 35
promotion plaice
October 14, 2017, 11:48pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

Are you suggesting we show him the door.....see what I did there.

Taxi

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 35
Cloudy
October 15, 2017, 9:16am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Matt was no better or worse than several others yesterday. He also did win a good header in their box whilst challenged by two or three defenders, unfortunately nobody reacted and their keeper smothered it.

Not saying he is the answer but he certainly had an impressive game at Accrington and linked very well with Jones that night too
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 35
Zmariner
October 15, 2017, 10:41am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,115
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from ginnywings
Strikers need service.

Exactly , Dembele hit and miss and should not be a guaranteed starter far too much expected of him. As for Woolford , creates nothing. Any striker would struggle as yesterday no chances were created. Give Tom B  and DJ a chance , I think both deserve a go as we create nothing at home
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 35
headingly_mariner
October 15, 2017, 11:40am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
Do we really need to have threads about how specific players are shite?

He's played a handful of games and was really decent away at Accrington. He had 20 minutes yesterday. It's pathetic to hammer new players like this.

Surely any issue lies with those who've set the budget and chosen the players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 35
MuddyWaters
October 15, 2017, 11:46am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Do we really need to have threads about how specific players are shite?

He's played a handful of games and was really decent away at Accrington. He had 20 minutes yesterday. It's pathetic to hammer new players like this.

Surely any issue lies with those who've set the budget and chosen the players.

Which is exactly the point I'm making - Slade made a big deal of signing a player who wasn't getting a start for a team that was in the same league as us last season. We look almost immobile up front. Professional strikers should know their roles which include closing defenders down but on several occasions yesterday our midfielders were shouting at Sam Jones in particular to do so.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 35
Chrisblor
October 15, 2017, 11:47am

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,764
Gold Stars: 233
Are you really having a go at Matt? Get back in your box. He was exceptional leading the line against Accrington and instrumental in us winning in what I'd probably class as our best win of the season. Against Colchester he was about to tap in the equaliser before he was hacked down for a penalty. Since then he's been in and out of the team and by no means any worse than Vernon. Give him an actual chance before spouting this rubbish.

gary jones
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 35
headingly_mariner
October 15, 2017, 11:54am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Which is exactly the point I'm making - Slade made a big deal of signing a player who wasn't getting a start for a team that was in the same league as us last season. We look almost immobile up front. Professional strikers should know their roles which include closing defenders down but on several occasions yesterday our midfielders were shouting at Sam Jones in particular to do so.

No it's not, you've done a complete assassination on Matt as a player.

"He doesn't jump, his first touch is dreadful, smaller players beat him in the air etc etc. Will he ever score for us? At least Ben Tomlinson looked like he was trying"

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 35
kevikov
October 15, 2017, 6:11pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +840
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from heppy88

Do you trust Slade to find something better?
After watching his post match comments, he doesnt understand why the fans are not happy! He cant understand why they are not entertained

problem is, we've been spoiled........

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 35
Teestogreen
October 15, 2017, 7:27pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -134
Gold Stars: 22
M. o. t  M. at Accrington i.m.o.
but the other half of the answer is Tees.

UTM - (dinosaurs included)  

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 35
Tommy
October 15, 2017, 7:35pm
Season Ticket Holder
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Strange thread to start TOC when you've previously had a pop at posters for singling out Berrett for criticism.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 35
MuddyWaters
October 15, 2017, 8:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Tommy
Strange thread to start TOC when you've previously had a pop at posters for singling out Berrett for criticism.

Yep - and in a way I regret doing so but Slade rattled on for so long about trying to get him and then getting him and, as I wasn't at Accrington, I haven't seen any evidence as to his capabilities. For Matt to thrive, we surely need to a. play him and b. get some service to him. Maybe I was being unfair but it's borne out of frustration at seeing us sign another player who doesn't seem to fit whatever the manager is trying to do - clearly, I'm not alone in struggling to work that bit out either.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 35
Mrs Doyle
October 15, 2017, 9:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Matt looked ok and led the front line well a few games ago? Now he looks disenchanted with football at the moment seems Slade is having the same effect on players as he is on the fans.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 35
ginnywings
October 15, 2017, 9:30pm

Recovering Alcoholic
I remember Matt coming here with another side and looking a right handful. I also thought he looked quite good when he first got into the side. Like a lot of players, maybe he is just taking time getting his mojo back at a new club, after not appearing much for his last club. If he's still not doing it later on in the season, then yeah, have a chunter.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 35
horsforthmariner
October 15, 2017, 11:50pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,588
Gold Stars: 9
Matt's a decent player as is Vernon as is Jones. It's the not the fault of the players that the manager is playing a style of football that negates skill and ability.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 35
1mickylyons
October 16, 2017, 6:47am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Then what's the question?

He doesn't jump, his first touch is dreadful, smaller players beat him in the air etc etc. Will he ever score for us? At least Ben Tomlinson looked like he was trying  

Are you 100% sure you don`t have him mixed up with Hooper?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 35
MuddyWaters
October 16, 2017, 10:17am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Are you 100% sure you don`t have him mixed up with Hooper?

100% - Hooper has scored, although I see where you're coming from!
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 35
gtfc98
October 16, 2017, 7:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 68
There’s definitely a player in Matt. Did well for Fleetwood initially and was apparently unplayable at Plymouth. Sticking him up front on his own like we did at Port Vale is never going to work. He’s a very big lad but you could never describe him as a target man really, he runs the channels well and he’s strong but he can’t play up there on his own.

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 35
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › If the answer is Matt...

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.