Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 312 Guests

Paul Hurst

This thread currently has 39,490 views. Print
22 Pages Prev ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Next All Recommend Thread
Vance Warner
January 3, 2018, 12:24pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +18 / -5
Approval: +2,772
Gold Stars: 99
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Bloke took 6 years to get us up , he also gave us some of the worst football and interviews we have ever seen but fvck me I would swap him for Mr hoofball in a second.

I've seen far worse football before and since. As for the interviews thing I'll never understand why that was an issue for some people. He fostered the best team spirit I can remember so he clearly had a personality about him. When he said we had been spoilt in the past (true for anyone of my generation) it was thrown back at him so it's no wonder his interview style was cautious.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 180 - 213
1mickylyons
January 3, 2018, 12:45pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,261
Gold Stars: 54
Quoted from Vance Warner

I've seen far worse football before and since. As for the interviews thing I'll never understand why that was an issue for some people. He fostered the best team spirit I can remember so he clearly had a personality about him. When he said we had been spoilt in the past (true for anyone of my generation) it was thrown back at him so it's no wonder his interview style was cautious.

I remember when Brian Laws was appointed and came out with something along the lines of Town needed new idea`s to push them on.One of the first home games we were losing and a very vociferous Pontoon let rip with where`s your new idea`s? He then got a right shoeing of the excellent swwf fanzine depicting him as a thrusting young exec with a briefcase etc.In this game you have to take the good with the smooth but I suppose now nearly 20 years on from Laws the social media thing means the spotlight is on 24/7 so it`s on top.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 181 - 213
January 3, 2018, 1:02pm
Guest User
Even now there are people that spout complete rubbish about Paul Hurst. The football played under Paul Hurst was decent. Great at times, and largely effective.

Those that harp on about the length of time it took him to get us promoted are bonkers. He was a young manager, finding his way. Making progress and learning all of the time. I would sooner have a manager like that, than a stale Russell Slade.

He left full of confidence in his own ability. To take on a basket case of a team that was nailed on to get relegated. Crikey the job he did to keep them in League 1 was awesome. But to follow that up with a promotion contending season just beggars belief. There can be absolutely no questioning his credentials as a manager and a coach. First class I would say.

The cow poo comments about his PR used to make me cringe at times, but then laugh at those spouting such rubbish. What he said or did on the radio or TV was of no concern to me at all. Merely what he served up in results and progress. That for me is the one and only acid test. I can remember those that used to criticise Alan Buckley during his first two stints with us, for his arrogance.

Frankly I couldn't give a flying care about having a manager that smiles, laughs, jokes, has the fans jargon and key words, that talks the words that he thinks the fans want to hear. That is what we had with Bignot and also what we have in Slade. PR people, great orators that are more concerned with what the fans think of their persona moreso than their product. Give me a successful miserable sodomist any day over a spin doctor.

Keep up the great work Paul Hurst. I love watching your progress, even though I constantly feel a sick as the proverbial parrot that you are no longer making that progress at Grimsby Town.
Reply: 182 - 213
realist
January 3, 2018, 1:06pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,689
Gold Stars: 41
More rubbish from bottom end. You really thought the dull unimaginative football played at homs was a sign of a good manager?
He is gone. Move on.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 183 - 213
arryarryarry
January 3, 2018, 9:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,938
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from 120790
Even now there are people that spout complete rubbish about Paul Hurst. The football played under Paul Hurst was decent. Great at times, and largely effective.

There were quite a few games where we were crap as well including the first leg against Braintree.

It's a very fine line but for a dopey Braintree centre-half trying to take off Josh Gowling's shirt when he was going no where we could have been away to Guiseley this weekend.
Private Message
Reply: 184 - 213
LH
January 3, 2018, 9:58pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,398
Gold Stars: 169
GTFC post match interviews peaked with Slade’s infamous “Frenchman” rant. It’ll never get better than that so can we lower expecations please?
Private Message
Reply: 185 - 213
lew chaterleys lover
January 3, 2018, 10:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,550
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from 120790

Those that harp on about the length of time it took him to get us promoted are bonkers. He was a young manager, finding his way. Making progress and learning all of the time. I would sooner have a manager like that, than a stale Russell Slade.

He left full of confidence in his own ability. To take on a basket case of a team that was nailed on to get relegated. Crikey the job he did to keep them in League 1 was awesome. But to follow that up with a promotion contending season just beggars belief. There can be absolutely no questioning his credentials as a manager and a coach. First class I would say.

The cow poo comments about his PR used to make me cringe at times, but then laugh at those spouting such rubbish. What he said or did on the radio or TV was of no concern to me at all. Merely what he served up in results and progress. That for me is the one and only acid test. I can remember those that used to criticise Alan Buckley during his first two stints with us, for his arrogance.

Frankly I couldn't give a flying care about having a manager that smiles, laughs, jokes, has the fans jargon and key words, that talks the words that he thinks the fans want to hear. That is what we had with Bignot and also what we have in Slade. PR people, great orators that are more concerned with what the fans think of their persona moreso than their product. Give me a successful miserable sodomist any day over a spin doctor.

Keep up the great work Paul Hurst. I love watching your progress, even though I constantly feel a sick as the proverbial parrot that you are no longer making that progress at Grimsby Town.

In hindsight, as some of knew in real time, he was a decent manager. For our level at the time a very good manager. We had just been promoted, were doing quite well in the new league, and as you say he was learning all the time - including having the foresight to dismantle the promotion winning team because he knew they weren't good enough.

When Shrewsbury came sniffing (!) I said well he won't go there - no football pedigree, a rubbish "new" ground, and a poor fan base and team that was odds on for relegation.

Can someone explain to me why we didn't move heaven and earth to keep him? One minute it was a rumour, the next he was gone saying he wanted to work with someone who "kept their promises."  Even when things are on the up we manage to member it up.
Private Message
Reply: 186 - 213
KingstonMariner
January 4, 2018, 12:11am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

In hindsight, as some of knew in real time, he was a decent manager. For our level at the time a very good manager. We had just been promoted, were doing quite well in the new league, and as you say he was learning all the time - including having the foresight to dismantle the promotion winning team because he knew they weren't good enough.

When Shrewsbury came sniffing (!) I said well he won't go there - no football pedigree, a rubbish "new" ground, and a poor fan base and team that was odds on for relegation.

Can someone explain to me why we didn't move heaven and earth to keep him? One minute it was a rumour, the next he was gone saying he wanted to work with someone who "kept their promises."  Even when things are on the up we manage to member it up.

He must have been referring to the Shrewsbury fans  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 187 - 213
HertsGTFC
January 4, 2018, 6:25am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,657
Gold Stars: 217
Re the quality of the football under Hurst its worth noting that for most of his time her we where a non league team with non league players who are that level for a reason in that there usually not as good at football as the player in the 4 leagues above.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 188 - 213
ginnywings
January 4, 2018, 8:14pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 189 - 213
22 Pages Prev ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.