MuddyWaters
September 13, 2017, 8:45am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from 120790

The comedy in people thinking that I, Ascend, am John Fenty, is just about as comically laughable as some of the opinions and wishes on this messageboard directed at John Fenty.

Have your opinions all you like, it doesn't change the context of my original post "Be very careful what you which for". The alternative to John Fenty may be very very bleak

Well it's so long since there was an alternative to Mr Fenty, many of us can't remember what it would be like. Someone who treated the fans with more respect would be a decent start.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 88
September 13, 2017, 8:57am
Guest User
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Well it's so long since there was an alternative to Mr Fenty, many of us can't remember what it would be like. Someone who treated the fans with more respect would be a decent start.

John Fenty does not treat the supporters disrespectfully. He is approachable and I am sure that his rationale is to treat as he finds. If you treat him poorly, then why would he treat you with respect.

Neither should he pamper to the supporters whims. Because in the fan base, there are hundreds of opinions and alternative opinions on how he should direct the club. What would you have him do, respond positively to all suggestions? Of course he can't. He has to be his own man and direct the business in the manner which he see's fit.

Keep going John, you are doing a fine job
Reply: 11 - 88
Cloudy
September 13, 2017, 9:02am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from 120790

John Fenty does not treat the supporters disrespectfully. He is approachable and I am sure that his rationale is to treat as he finds. If you treat him poorly, then why would he treat you with respect.

Neither should he pamper to the supporters whims. Because in the fan base, there are hundreds of opinions and alternative opinions on how he should direct the club. What would you have him do, respond positively to all suggestions? Of course he can't. He has to be his own man and direct the business in the manner which he see's fit.

Lets just say in my experience I totally and utterly disagree with you
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 88
MuddyWaters
September 13, 2017, 9:03am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from 120790

I'm doing this on a phone so I apologise for not being able to copy the link but there's a letter today from the terminally ill Barnsley chairman to their fans which possibly illustrates how to treat a loyal support base.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 88
KingstonMariner
September 13, 2017, 9:09am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
He threw us a lifeline years ago after the ITV Digital farrago for which we are grateful. He then extended loans to the club to cover what many see as problems of his own making. Including that offer of support back in what was it2011 when the Trust (inc members) caved in to his demands to handover shares so he wouldn't be outvoted.

Things could just as easily become better under new control as worse Ascend.

But if we continue as we are we could be in for a very rough time. The goodwill of the promotion season has been squandered by his refusal to take on board the wishes of the supporters. In fact I'd go as far as to say people have been alienated to the point where a minority are protesting at matches. I don't think many people will join them for now but that chanting is just the tip of the iceberg.

From listening to people as we left the ground last night there's a lot of ill feeling. And that was the hardcore who trek to Lancashire on a wet Tuesday night. I saw faces there complaining and shouting Fenty out who I've seen at games for at least 20 odd years. Town through and through. Hardly fickle.

Others might be less vocal but simply stop turning up and we die through apathy.

So I agree things could be worse and the protest/ill feeling might be aimless or undirected towards an acheiveable realistic goal at the moment, but it can't be ignored or shrugged off as the leavings of the fickle few.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 88
KingstonMariner
September 13, 2017, 9:11am
Meths Drinker
Whinging not 'leavings'!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 88
September 13, 2017, 9:19am
Guest User
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I'm doing this on a phone so I apologise for not being able to copy the link but there's a letter today from the terminally ill Barnsley chairman to their fans which possibly illustrates how to treat a loyal support base.

We are not Barnsley. We don't have other significant investors like Barnsley do in addition to Patrick Cryne.

Plus, there are many people in Grimsby that are just as grateful to John Fenty for keeping our club going as some Barnsley fans are to Patrick Cryne. Reading Patrick Cryne's letter, it is plainly clear to see that some of his clubs supporters weren't in support of him either. "People are not shy in coming forward and telling me they appreciate my efforts, even if I have fallen short of their aspirations"

Be careful what you wish for.
Reply: 16 - 88
LH
September 13, 2017, 9:22am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,500
Gold Stars: 173
We have had other significant investors in the past though but they've gone. Why?
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 88
KingstonMariner
September 13, 2017, 9:24am
Meths Drinker
That sentence you highlighted Ascend shows class on the part of the Barnsley chairman. And probably a fair degree of wit if I read it right.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 88
LondonMariner43
September 13, 2017, 9:24am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,942
Gold Stars: 64
I would have some sympathy with the Fenty out brigade if they have an alternative.  Have they got funds to invest?  Are they willing to organize a fan ownership? Are they scouting the world for a new wealthy investor?

Or are they just keyboard warriors happy to slag off the guy who put his own money into keeping the club alive?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 88
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Be careful what you wish for

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.